Looking for 1/72 MiG-17 and MiG-19

I already have MiG-15/23/25/27/29/31, and will purchase Zvezda's MiG-21bis, all in 1/72, but I don't know anything about 1/72 MiG-17 and MiG-19... WEll, my only "requirement": Engraved panel lines, all the kits I already have, have engraved panel lines. Versions? I'd like a MiG-17F (that which looks like a MiG-15, w/o radar) and a MiG-19S (I think the chinese copy is based on this version). Thanks a a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

The most recent MiG-17 kits to fit your description are from AZ Models. Their shapes look good, but they are lacking in finer details, such as complete lack of intake trunking, and are a bit on the pricy side for what you get.

I think your only option for a MiG-19S with engraved panel lines is the Bilek kit. It will have you scratch building some of the finer details, but does give you some guidance how to do that.

The most recent MiG-17 kits to fit your description are from AZ Models. Their shapes look good, but they are lacking in finer details, such as complete lack of intake trunking, and are a bit on the pricy side for what you get.

I think your only option for a MiG-19S with engraved panel lines is the Bilek kit. It will have you scratch building some of the finer details, but does give you some guidance how to do that.

ZTS Plastyk company from Poland copied both KP MiG-19S and MiG-17PF kits. Both crude copies are with deep and simple engraved panel lines like more known Plastyk/Mastercraft MiG-21MF.

All engraved copies are still available under Plastyk and Mastercraft brands.

As for the MiG-19 I think the KP is a good starting point, but it all depends on how deep you want to go into a build. Not far from here in the Build in Progress you can find my attempts to do something from the KP kit. They were built almost 20 years ago and I was surprisen in the past few weeks when preparing this material for posting here that in the past 20 years nothing much has happened with relations to the MiG-19 as far as 72 scale goes. This is sad :( :( :( . I will have a look at the Bilek kit this Saturday so maybe after that I can say something more. The MiG-19 but also the MiG-17 and I would say even the MiG-15 have been very much neglected by manufactures in 72 scale :( But the line is long and we can also speak of the MiG-23 or many others too.

Hope you can complete your collection. (in time anyway)

Best regards

Gabor

Hello!

For the MiG-17F the AZ Model kit is highly recommended, for the MiG-17PF also the AZ Model kit is the best but the KP is not so bad just need rescribing the panel lines. For the Mig-19 family (S,P and PM) I guess the Bilek is your favorit. Avoid the old KP because the canopy of these items are crap! The Poland made copies of the KP worse than the original.The new KP issues are much better because they renewed their tools and the plastic parts are more clear but they have still raising!!!

panel lines

here is the NEW KP manufacture link:

http://www.kp-models.com/catalogue/products/category/72_jet_airplanes/

Cheers Polo

Hi Jose! While this may not quite be far enough along to help you in your decision, I started an in-progress build on the 1/72 AZ Model Mig17F in the colorful acrobatics plane GB here on ARC. Here's the link to the start of my build: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=243689

I just started back on this build after a long delay (job and house construction) and hope to be posting updates on a more regular basis. While the AZ Model kit looks to require some modeling experience due to it's design and low pressure molding, I am happy with it so far.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

I have always liked the KP MiG-19. I have built a few of them as a kid and still have a few in the original boxes in my stash. Even with the raised detail they look nice. Even though the detail is raised, it is extremely fine. If built right it looks like etched detail from a foot or two away.

• 1 month later...

I completely forgot this topic, sorry. Mike J. Idacavage, That's a very nice start, I just don't kike how they made the wing halves... I think I'll try to find DML MiG-17, the one with afterburner, if I can find it, if not, the AZ Models is the next option. As you may know, I already received my MiG-19 from ZTS Plastyk, I know that KP is better, but ZTS is cheaper and has recessed panel lines so it will be a faster build, I just have to make some modifications/detailing, but that's just half the fun. Thanks a lot for your advices. Best regards.

José.