I'm being sent to Singapore at the end of the month for a 6 month assignment. Can any of the Singapore ARCers tell me what hobby shops I should visit while I'm there? Any model club meetings coming up?

Thanks!

Mike

A list of hobby stores in Singapore:

http://www.spruecutters.com/resources/retail-shops.html

Out of these, I've only been to Hobby Point, Central Hobby Plus and M Workshop. Hobby Point has a wide range of brands but is a little on the expensive side. Central Hobby Plus downsized to a smaller shop when it moved from Centrepoint to its current location, but it's still a nice little shop for Hasegawa kits and older models. M Workshop is more geared towards sci-fi, armor, and car kits, but they do have a small selection of aircraft and ships on sale and the owner is a real nice guy.

Across the road from M Workshop at POMO shopping centre is another store called Storm Domain (http://www.stormdomain.com/). Very nice selection and lots of Aires, Wolfpack, Eduard and other aftermarket accessories.

Not sure about the model club meetings, but M Workshop organizes a model show once every 4 years, and the next edition is scheduled to take place on 1st to 4th November this year. (http://www.themworkshop.com/mcon2012/about.html)

Out of these, I've only been to Hobby Point, Central Hobby Plus and M Workshop.

Hey I don't live in Singapore but been to more hobby shops than that :whistle:

Spent a month i dry-dock in Singapore with my ship a few months ago and managed to see most hobby shops I could find in Singapore.

Found the following 3 to be good that I can recommend:

M Workshop (Sunshine Plaza), Small shop but loaded to the ceiling.

S.T.O.R.M. (POMO Shopping Center), a lot of kits, after market stuff and Vallejo Paint.

Hobby Point (Tiong Bahru Plaza), a lot of kits.

M Workshop and STORM is close to each other not too far from Orchard (located walking distance from Orchard Road before Simlim Square).

Hobby Point in Tiong Bahru Plaza can be tricky to find. It is not in the shopping mall but located in the offices above it on 5th floor (Need to find an elevator that goes to that floor).

Hey I don't live in Singapore but been to more hobby shops than that :whistle:

Well, online hobby shops coupled with my insane working hours means that there's usually little time or reason to drop by the brick-and-mortar shops, unless they have the parts that the online shops don't carry, or I need a kit/part urgently and don't want to wait or pay for shipping. :) The Hobby Point at Tiong Bahru Plaza is on the way back from my workplace so that's not so bad as I can drop by after work, but the other shops I find that I only have the time to visit them on an off day.

By the way, if you're ever at Sunshine Plaza, give the noodle shop there a go, the wanton noodles taste fantastic. :lol:

another place to check out is Miniature hobby. They are located in a factory like building. They do offer good discount on Italeri and Academy kits

their address is

8 Burn Road

#14-16, Trivex

Singapore 369977

Tel: 97613903

my brother got a Italeri 1:48 F-16C Barak (Kinetic rebox) for about US$20 when they were having a 40% discount or something. since you are going to be there for six month, check them out during Singapore's national day in August. In the past they used to give the same amount of discount as the singapore's age, e.g. I was back few years back and they are celebrating I think the 43nd national day, and for that week the store is giving 43% discount on some brands.

Enjoy the local food, its greasy but good :D

+1 Miniature Hobby. They bring in mostly Hobby Boss, Trumpeter, Academy and Italeri but has recently started bringing in some limited Hasegawa kits. Everything is almost always at 30-40% off.

If you're looking for Hasegawa specifically, do try Central Hobby Plus located in the shopping arcade of Concorde Hotel along Orchard Road. They're the official importers of Hasegawa and have the widest range of aircraft kits.

If you fly in before next month, there will be an aircraft-only modeling competition known as the Airfix Cup held from 3-5 April at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. More details can be found HERE.

Hope you have a good time here!

Mark

Thanks for the info everyone. Never been to the other side of the world, so I'm looking forward to it, and especially now that there are hobby shops to explore! Very interested to see what kits, accessories, paints & tools are available outside the US.

Cheers,

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Peter and Mark,

I will definitely check out the local forum and club. Thanks for the link, and thank you for the welcome! You have a beautiful country and city! I'm looking forward to exploring, and I already know the hobby shops here are going to be dangerous to my wallet!!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Got to see Singapore while in the Navy about 1993. Beautiful place!!! Not sure of any model shops, but if you want to get a tattoo there, check out "Johnny Two Thumbs" tattoo parlor. They do excellent work! I think you'll enjoy Singapore!!! Have fun. :cheers: