About F-100 Super Sabre and Mk.84 bomb

Hi to all.

I want to load my bare metal 1/72 F-100 Super Sabre with Mk.84 bombs. I have the old Italeri weapons set, but the bombs depicted in the kit seems to be..."rare" at least. The Italeri box can be seen here: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=7621&page=1 , the bomb is the one in the middle of the Walleye and the HARM.

The questions are 2:

1-Did you have or see any pictures of bare metal F-100 with Mk.84 bombs?

2-The Mk.84 in the Italeri kit are a "real" reproduction of a Mk.84?

Thank you very much

1-Did you have or see any pictures of bare metal F-100 with Mk.84 bombs?

I've never seen one - Mk 82's, both slick or Snakeye, seem to be the most common Mk 80s series bombs on the F-100. When larger bombs are carried, they are generally M117's.

2-The Mk.84 in the Italeri kit are a "real" reproduction of a Mk.84?

Yes, but of a later variant with a ballute tail. The F-100 predates these bombs.

HTH,

Andre

As mentioned above, the Mk-84 didn't seem to be part of the Hun's load normal, however since the nukes (MK-28 Mk-43) the F-100 carried were 2,000lbs, theoretically you could carry a Mk-84 on the belly, in theory. On the CF-104 the ballistics for the Mk-84 were in the arm't system even though we didn't have them.

Jari

Thanks to all for the answers. So I think I must start looking on another part.

I have another two questions, then.

1-I want to load my Hun with the heaviest load, wich could it be?

2-Wich planes can carry the Italeri Mk.84 2000lbs.?

Thanks again

1-I want to load my Hun with the heaviest load, wich could it be?

2-Wich planes can carry the Italeri Mk.84 2000lbs.?

1-If you're talking Vietnam-era; how about mid-board 275-gal fuel tanks, outboard M117s and pairs of TER-mounted M117s (on the the side TER stations)? Or SUU-30 dispensers could be substituted for the M117s. Or Mk 82s with all three TER stations loaded...

2-USAF only: F-111, F-15E & F-16 for sure. It was designed for low-altitude, high-speed releases, so probably not A-10 or B-52; perhaps B-1B, but I can't confirm that. I've seen them on F-111s, and there are published photos of them on F-16s during Desert Storm.

I think instead of Heavy you should go Aggressive, I don't see too many F-100's loaded heavy, most times they will carry 1 bomb per pylon, but if your working from the weapon set you linked to I would go with the 500 HD bombs (miss labeled as GP) on the out board pylon, and the 4 smaller 250lb HD bombs on the inboard pylon mounted as Jim recommended on the side location of a TER.

2nd would be a Bull Pup on the inboard (if you have one)and LAU-68 rocket pod.

Curt

Edited by Netz