Nobody makes movies like this anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmJkRn_Qxw

Nobody films like this anymore. His director of photography, Tonino Delli Colli makes perfect use of the Panavision widescreen format to exploit the vast beautiful landscape. The landscape itself and objects become characters in the story. The colors of the background, foreground and characters are all perfectly matched and nothing is out of place. You can count every wrinkle and facial hair on face of the characters. The 'fly episode' becomes a mini story in itself inside the first part of the movie. The beauty of the landscape, the desolation, the colors, the idiosynchratic weirdness of the three characters, the quasi absence of dialogue, the close and far camera angles, the movements and sounds practically make this a meditative experience. Today, most kids would get out of the theater in less than 2 minutes if they had to watch this: Attention deficit disorder...), but to me, this is pure eye candy, i can watch it over and over again and i don't get tired of it. I have no doubt that this is probably used in movie making classrooms, and for good reasons.

This is cinematography at its best and a striking exemple of what cinema is supposed to be: a VISUAL medium, not just a tool to tell any story. The images are the most important and even if the characters don't necessarily look good or young, the way it is filmed makes the ensemble look very good. Actually, you can film in a sewer and make it look good if you know what you're doing. Even the wheel at the end of the sequence can be described as a metaphore for the Wheel of Life that keeps on turning, oblivious to mankind.

One way or another, it's great cinema.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

I recently read somewhere that today they (mostly) make films for "everyone", meaning: nobody in particular. I think there's a lot of truth to that.

I love it how in the 1970s, you could start a film and have it run for minutes without anyone uttering a single word. Good days. Take Vanishing Point. I think the dialogue of the first fifteen minutes is just: "What's going on?", "Must be important. They sent CBS." and a little talk over the radio between the police and their chopper. The rest just told in pictures and sound/soundtrack.

Why all the talking nowadays? In most cases they're just busy stating the obvious anyway. There are exceptions to that, though. I thought the long intro without talking in "No country for old men" was very refreshing in that regard. No one talking but the pictures. Perfect!

I recently read somewhere that today they (mostly) make films for "everyone", meaning: nobody in particular. I think there's a lot of truth to that.

I love it how in the 1970s, you could start a film and have it run for minutes without anyone uttering a single word. Good days. Take Vanishing Point. I think the dialogue of the first fifteen minutes is just: "What's going on?", "Must be important. They sent CBS." and a little talk over the radio between the police and their chopper. The rest just told in pictures and sound/soundtrack.

Why all the talking nowadays? In most cases they're just busy stating the obvious anyway. There are exceptions to that, though. I thought the long intro without talking in "No country for old men" was very refreshing in that regard. No one talking but the pictures. Perfect!

Why all the talking (in life and not just) movies? Because we live in a world (at least in the developed one) full of bloody narcissists. People in most/all walks of life who are full of themselves, thinking they are somehow more important, more entitled and should be heard at any and all times. It has pervaded the social conscious of modern society and movie writers, producers, directors and actors feel they MUST BE HEARD! in any and all ways

Society thinks that as fans of any or all celebs for one that they are held in high regards by celebs. Yeah, don't hold your breathe, most celebs could not give a crap except for how much money they get and how much bling they can flash, show off with to society.

Narcissism is nothing new but it's a social disease running rampant in modern society. :rolleyes: