I have just seen the decal sheet for the Trumpeter 1/32 F-117 kit last night. Amazingly, they managed to get absolutely everything wrong on the kit sheet.

This looks like a job for Caracal Models. I already have some artwork that I prepared in anticipation of a 1/48 F-117 sheet, so scaling these up will only take a couple days. I will fast-track this sheet through the pipeline so it will be in the market as soon as possible. More details here, later.

I'm curious about the 1/48 sheet...

It would have options for several different F-117s with the markings worn during the type's last few years between 2004-2008. I wasn't going to announce or release it until the fall since I had higher-priority projects for new kits; but the Trumpeter decals are so atrocious that I will take 3 or 4 of the options that I have already designed, and will scale them up to 1/32 this weekend.

Edited by KursadA

First profile is ready: 80-0788 was the 49th FW commander's jet which made the type's last RIAT appearance in 2007.

f117prof1.jpg

I plan to feature one example of each Holloman unit (7,8 and 9th FS) in addition to this jet, and an Edwards test example. The stars and stripes jet sounds very appealing, but all those stars might take too much space on the sheet; and you will end up painting the stripes. I will consider it, though. Scaling my 1/48 markings ended up being faster than I thought, so I will have the entire sheet ready this afternoon and will have time to work on one or two more options.

It looks like the stars-and-stripes jet is a possibility with some additional cost, I am still working on alternatives. It now looks like I will have 3 Holloman options, 1 Edwards test jet and a Gulf-War era F-117 (flown by a RAF exchange officer to introduce a bit of British interest).

How about 1/144? Seriously.

I don't know, 1/144 is completely uncharted territory for me. Could be a bonus section on the 1/72 version (which I will do eventually, just don't know when).

It looks like the stars-and-stripes jet is a possibility with some additional cost, I am still working on alternatives. It now looks like I will have 3 Holloman options, 1 Edwards test jet and a Gulf-War era F-117 (flown by a RAF exchange officer to introduce a bit of British interest).

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

The design is done; but I decided not to send the design to the printer without checking it on the target kit first. I should have my kit within a couple of days; and then I will finish the final checks and make an official announcement here.

I got my kit yesterday. It was the right decision to wait for the kit before finalizing the design, because some geometries that impact the decal design (stencilling for sensor covers etc.) are subtly different from those on the 1/48 Tamiya kit I used for my original design work. I will post the final drafts this weekend and send the design to the printers next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on posting the profiles so we can see what to expect?

Thanks

I will post these really soon; now that the mad rush to finish the T-45 and UH-60J sheets is over. I want to go over everything and get this right, so just give me a few days..

Edited by KursadA

These are the three Holloman (49th FW) options on the sheet. 88-0842 has OIF mission markings. The fourth option will be a Desert Storm example. I don't want to do the obligatory Toxic Avenger, so I have not decided on the serial number yet. One possibility is 85-0825 just before Desert Storm, when it was marked with the name of the first RAF F-117 pilot (Sqn Ldr Graham Wardell) painted on the canopy(no mission markings, though). Another possibility could be 85-0830. If you have any ideas and references, let me know.

There seems to be space for about 4 options on the sheet, considering the size of 1/32 markings and stencilling.

f117draft1.png