Inflight Refueling Display

here is a graphic of what Jeff was saying. As a receiver aircraft, you have an imaginary shoebox that you try to stay within (the air refueling envelope). the pilot director lights and verbal corrections from the boom operator keep you there. If you go outside the envelope eithr the boom or the system will disconnect the two aircraft.

boomlimits.jpg

Bruce

Thanks for the info Bruce. It would've been nice if that information was in the KC-135 Detail and Scale reference book that I used. It really didn't have a lot of info on the boom itself or any color photos. I should've checked here first with any questions.

Brian

Brian,

The markings are a visual reference as to the fore & aft position on the boom. If they drift too far aft, they will see more red and get a forward light on the Pilot Director Lights and vice versa if too far forward. Plus the verbals "Back 4!"

I noticed the boom sighting window also, but since this wasnt the Critique Corner, I held off. Bruce is correct though.

-Jeff

Jeff thanks for the info. I'm glad guys like you are here when modelers have questions. I was flying a King Air air ambulance flight a few yrs ago across KS and ATC asked me to climb to a higher altitude because in 3 minutes I was going to have traffic. I climbed up and a KC135 hooked up to a C-17 flew right underneath me with a 1000 ft seperation. I was ticked I didn't have my camera. It was very cool looking.

Brian