Mi-24 and Mi-8/17 afghan war '79-89

Hello guys!

I am new to helicopter modelling and I am having a Hip and Hind project.

I want to depict them on the afghan war scheme during '79-'89.

I want to know which among these 2 schemes were used during the war?

07maz06.jpg

A: This looks like a base of light stone/sand.

Trumpeter-Mil-Mi-24-Hind-043.jpg

B: This one looks like a base of lightened Tamiya Desert yellow.

Help much appreciated!

Cheers! :cheers:

Balalaika82

Yes, Berkut, thats the one.

There were several variations on that theme but the basic colours were the same. On the other had I have found that most of the "spots" on the Mi-8 camo were applied in the factory very close to the same pattern.

Afganistan was a war and as in any war considerable amount of local repair had to be made and here they had to use materials available on the spot, so several camo versions and new colours did appear on the helicopters.

Best regards

Gabor

thanks guys! much apprecieated, what is the nearest color that i can use for the base color? tamiya desert yellow lightened with white?

cheers!

balalaika82

For whatever it's worth, on my Afghan Mi-8 build, I used Testors sand with a touch of brown added.

IMG_4655.jpg

Depending the the pictures you are looking at, the base color on Afghan era helos seemed to vary between a very whitish tan and something with a bit more brown to it. Not sure if that is due to weathering or the quality of the pictures themselves.

Edited by 11bee

Hi 11bee,

So youre the one who built this magnificent Hip!:D I saw this weeks ago and saved some photos for reference as I also have a Hip here :) thanks for the help!

Testors is limited here in the Philippines so I might just formulate a close copy of the sand tone based on Tamiya/Gunze selections of Desert/DArk Yellow or Stone shades.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Iking

Hi 11bee,

That Mi-17 looks very nice!!! Congratulation on it. The sand colour is OK there is no problem with that. The green should be a bit more subdued I think. Will have a look at my original chips (If I find them) from the Russian paint.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi 11bee,

That Mi-17 looks very nice!!! Congratulation on it. The sand colour is OK there is no problem with that. The green should be a bit more subdued I think. Will have a look at my original chips (If I find them) from the Russian paint.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor. The pic I posted may not show the green properly. It actually is a bit more faded in real life.

I'm not done yet. Still have a bunch of small bits to add and some final weathering. Had a new project kick in a few months ago (baby girl) and my modeling time has been a bit limited. Hope to resume work in the next few weeks. The entire build log is here on the helo forum if you are interested. I've really enjoyed the build, the Mi-8 is a cool subject.