Future - diluting

I am sure this is somewhere on the forum, but I could not find it, and I read Swanny's page but I am a little confused.

So I airbrush Future on and even though I apply a pretty thin coat I find that it is still pretty glossy - especially with my armor.

Is there a way to dilute the stuff to decrease the glossy finish I get. I realize that this is designed for floors so the glossy finish is part of its nature.

Thanks!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

This is too funny.

Yep it's a gloss, if you don't want a gloss don't use future.

If you want to kill the gloss then add some acrylic flat to it, but why do that, when you can just buy a simi gloss to begin with.

So what was the purpose of using the Future on a Tank for??

Curt

I use future to achieve a gloss coat mainly to decal without silvering and a protective coat. And have stated several times here (without anyone noticing it seems) that Future is thinned with Ammonia. When I dull coat, I don't add flat to future, I just use a dull coat. Last few years my choice has been Humbrol since Aeromaster Acrylic is no longer available (unless someone has some for me?).

Future (and other floor polishes) is not thinned by ammonia; it's destroyed by it. Most polishes have an ingredient (usually zinc stearate,) which makes them impervious to ordinary household cleaners. Ammonia destroys the stearate, and enables the cleaner to do its job, and remove the polish; ask anyone who has Futured their canopy, then masked with Maskol (which contains ammonia,) what happened to their pristine finish. 10 years, working in the floor polish industry, left its mark.

Thinning Future will do nothing to its glossiness; you need a second, matt, varnish to do that.

Edgar

Future (and other floor polishes) is not thinned by ammonia; it's destroyed by it. Most polishes have an ingredient (usually zinc stearate,) which makes them impervious to ordinary household cleaners. Ammonia destroys the stearate, and enables the cleaner to do its job, and remove the polish; ask anyone who has Futured their canopy, then masked with Maskol (which contains ammonia,) what happened to their pristine finish. 10 years, working in the floor polish industry, left its mark.

Thinning Future will do nothing to its glossiness; you need a second, matt, varnish to do that.

Edgar

:thumbsup:

You can make flat future easily. Add in some tamiya flat base, stir it in done. Just gotta play atround with the ratio, if you put in too much flat base, it will frost.

Yes, pay close attention to that little detail as mixing too high a ratio of Flat into Future - That can really mess up your day.

Once you "frost" up the finish on a kit, you are really messed and considering this is one of the final stages of the build is is extremely disheartening. (Spoken from sad experience -had to strip decals, sand and repaint) :o

David

VMFA314Knights

Since you've already been there, you can check back for Swanny's ratios on Tamiya flat base to Future ratios. I believe I used to use 3:1 (Future:flat base) and that gave nearly a dead flat finish. It's a good flat coat system allowing you to vary the amount sheen you want. But I got tired of getting the little white dots come out of the AB and land on my model, now I use a different system. It didn't happen all the time, but too much for me. Others have mentioned the issue, but I don't think I've ever seen a cause or remedy stated.

I highly recommend Xtracrylics clear finishes. They have a semi-gloss that's superb. You can decal directly onto it just like Future. Sprays like a dream with distilled water for thinner.

J