M35 Quad 50 cal Gun Truck

Hot off the work bench is an old AFV Club's M35A1 gun truck. Unlike modern AFV Club kits, this one was quite a challenge to build mainly due to really bad fit of just about every piece in the kit except for tires. I have not had much luck painting it either since Tamiya Olive Drab I bought to use as base coat was more of a dark green and sprayed and adhered terribly, leaving small pebble like granules behind even after adjusting paint-thinner mixture ratio several times. Clear coats I used in this build were new, to me at least, lacquers from Alclad which sprayed and covered surface nicely, but would not dry for at least a week, so there was a good amount of dust embedded in them by the time the top coat cured.Vietnamese Earth pigment from MiG was the last blow, when I opened the plastic cap pigment was basically in a form of paste and not powder! Letting it dry in a sun for two days and crush rolling solid chunk gave me a coarse but useable powder I was looking for.

But off the soap box, it is still a very unique looking kit I'm glad to have.'

Enjoy.

DSCI1817.JPG

DSCI1818.JPG

DSCI1819.JPG

DSCI1820.JPG

DSCI1822.JPG

DSCI1823.JPG

DSCI1824.JPG

DSCI1826.JPG

DSCI1825.JPG

Looks great!!! The olive looks like it came out the right color. Good thing about the army paints is they usually always come out a different shade from one truck to the next. Good job on the weathering to. I think you got it just about right. Some people tend to over due weathering on army equipment.

Good job

It looks pretty good. AFV Club got the mounting base for the quad guns wrong. It should not be a round, pedestal base. The quad mounts were on a square base with wheels and legs and were rolled up into the truck beds on ramps, which were also stored in the bed.

Quad50truck_2.247163931_large.jpg

maxson01.360213802_large.jpg

See here for a tutorial on how to build it accurately.

It looks pretty good. AFV Club got the mounting base for the quad guns wrong. It should not be a round, pedestal base. The quad mounts were on a square base with wheels and legs and were rolled up into the truck beds on ramps, which were also stored in the bed.

Quad50truck_2.247163931_large.jpg

maxson01.360213802_large.jpg

Yep, saw this excellent blog when researching gun trucks on google. I didn't want to go all out with this kit especially after I began bumping into troubles at the very beginning of the built process. Even considered scrapping it after rubber wheels began melting plastic rims, but managed to finish it OOB and hid it on the bottom shelf behind WWII aircraft <_<

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody sell a cast resin base for the late quad fifty? Also take note of the layer of sand bags in the truck bed. This was pretty much SOP for anybody that went out on the roads. The floor board in the cab will have that layer of bags as well. The only time you didn't have a layer of bags in the bed was when you were hauling somekind of cargo.

gary

does anybody sell a cast resin base for the late quad fifty?

Sort of.

Hobby Fan (resin side of AFV Club) does a full resin M55 Quad .50 cal trailer mount. The base is not available separately though.

HobbyFan061.jpg

In the AFV Club M548 Quad .50 "Guntruck" kit, it has the resin base along with the upper parts from the M35 "Nancy" guntruck Quad .50.

35S32.jpg

Also, Dragon makes an M55 Quad .50 cal trailer in plastic as well.

dml_6421_title.jpg

• 11 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 3/17/2012 at 7:31 PM, HeavyArty said:

http://www.historyfanatics.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Quad50truck_2.247163931_large.jpg

http://www.historyfanatics.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/maxson01.360213802_large.jpg

"Tutorial" link is dead.