When there is a disturbance in the force

If you are one of those individuals who has the mindset that ID theft will not get me I'm too wise and sharp.....Think again!!!. I consider(ed) myself a cautious shopper and do all I possibly can to protect my meager financial and monetary assets. This morning early; SWMBO answered a phone call; and said it's from the bank they want to talk to you, only being awake for less than half hour I answered and the low life on the other end presented a very good front and had me believing she really was a representative from my bank. Like a witless child or stupid half wit I gave them info on my account and my home address. Something bugged me, the hair on my head (what there is left) started tingling, that phone call stuck in my craw. It just didn't feel right; so I went online checked the number my bank has for any and all questions I may have, and BINGO!!!, that number was no where to be found. I then called the number my banker gave me to check on my accounts or make changes via Ma Bell. To cut to the chase we stopped them at $2.87. All legitimate changes have been made and that old debit card will render them nothing, but a waste of time and disgust, and who knows it may get them a vacation at a gray barred hotel with a small suite, non luxurious accommodations and armed folks making sure they act proper. The one question I still have is how did they get my card number? I've never given it out, and have only used it at legitimate locations, to my knowledge. I did see a show where they have a device that can read a cards info, that can be hidden in a purse, backpack or other such things that you see daily. I think I'll get one of those wallets that block those devices. I always hide the key pad when entering my PIN while making a purchase. ATM's have been rigged to divulge such info and it's not the controlling entitys' doing.

If anyone calls you from 1-800-355-5265 (representing your banking firm) telling you that there has be suspicious activity on your credit/debit card with a case reference number, tell them you are very busy and need to return the call; then ask for a name that you can have so when you call back you'll know who to ask for. As advised to me, immediately call your banks fraud division and report it. You may get as lucky as I did, if not the damage could be more than you might imagine.

I sincerely hope this saves someone here or elsewhere who may hear of it, some ID fraud problems, money and most of all mental anguish.

I found this which is in the same type of scheme New Scam

Be vigilant

Edited by #1 Greywolf

It's good that you figured the scam out before it went to far.

The new debit and Charge cards have chips in them. Criminals can use a wireless scanner to read all cards with chips just by standing near you in a store.

I have heard that the wireless scaners can't read your cards if the cards are inside a metal holder....not sure if metal holder needs to be a certain metal such as lead or just any metal or if the metal can simply be alumimium foil wrapped around your charge card.

Hah.....now we'll all be afraid to leave your home. :woot.gif:

It's good that you figured the scam out before it went to far.

The new debit and Charge cards have chips in them. Criminals can use a wireless scanner to read all cards with chips just by standing near you in a store.

I have heard that the wireless scaners can't read your cards if the cards are inside a metal holder....not sure if metal holder needs to be a certain metal such as lead or just any metal or if the metal can simply be alumimium foil wrapped around your charge card.

Hah.....now we'll all be afraid to leave your home. :woot.gif:

For only a few dollars you can buy lined credit card sized envelopes that protect you from having your chip card scanned. For more money yo can buy wallets lined a such.

As to phone calls I suggest you make a point to train yourself and to others you know. NEVER, NEVER do any or give any financial info/dealings over the phone to a Cold Call. If a call comes in and it sounds interesting or eve legit, tell the caller that you will on your own investigate further with your bank or other financial branch used. Oh the scammer will try to hook you by saying this is a one time offer. BULL $HIT! The bank or financial institution etc. will gladly allow you to contact them at a branch level or via a further follow up on by you the businesses online site.

I long time ago brainwashed myself to NEVER buy anything NO MATTER WHAT IS OFFERED TO ME! via cold call and to never give out any private or financial info via a cold call... Same goes with emails, NEVER REPLY TO ANY. Never click on the box that says if you want to be removed from the " whatever" list they give. By clicking on the box in the email they now know that you were a live human answering the email. JUST "X" DELETE IT! And same goes with automated phones calls. Never press the number option the auto voice gives you if you wish to disconnect. Why should you? JUST HANG UP! By pressing the number option the auto voice gives you it tells them that you were a live human on the line and not an answering machine. Answering machine do not respond to commands asking to press certain numbers, they just hang up when time runs out.

Oh one more thing, NEVER allow anyone into you house that you have not directly called to or otherwise knowingly wanted to invite in. Not a postal worker, not the gas man, not the electric company worker, not the milk man, not the civil city worker, not the cable guy, not the telephone guy and not even a cop (unless the cop has a warrant). Conduct any conversations at the door or outside your home!

I'm not sure if it is the same in the US but I can't see why it wouldn't be. Here banks encourage their customers not to give out their personal info to any phone caller as the banks don't cold call here. Be especially wary if the person doesn't sound like one of your local branch personnel or gives a name you're not totally familiar with. Usually if there is something radically wrong or they notice unusual transaction activity occurring they will temporarily freeze your account and then call you identifying themselves and ask you to come in to the branch to discuss the matter.

By unusual activity I mean if you withdrew money from the ATM an hour ago at your local bank branch, you're not likely to be making a transaction on the other side of the country or world at this time. Or if there are unusual (for you) types of transactions occurring even close to home our banks will stop your account and call you and once again ask you to come in to discuss it. This recently happened to a work colleague of mine but not before the scammers got away with almost $3,000 dollars worth of goods in the USA, where he has never been before. This is what triggered the eagle eyed bank computer to the unusual activity that was going on. He was driving to work at the time and when he got there he called them back and it was a genuine call. Fortunately in this case the credit card company stopped his card immediately and they have since found the culprits and they have been charged with fraud, using another's card for unfair advantage and with stealing. I believe the US judiciary isn't so leniant on such people as they are here. He got his money back from the credit card company.

Ross.

Have had calls from all sorts over the years claiming to be my bank or energy/ satellite tv suppliers wanting to confirm details and whatnot and I always say the same thing, if you're from the company you claim to be you'll have those details already, and if its that important you can write to me. Its just so easy for the lowlives to get your details nowadays. Been the victim of people fraudulently using my details a few times now so its very much a case of once bitten unless I'm dealing face to face with such people.