Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Manfred,

You are really catching all the small details. :thumbsup: As nice as the D. Maier paper model is, you are really making it much nicer with all the raised details you're adding.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Manfred,

You are really catching all the small details. :thumbsup: As nice as the D. Maier paper model is, you are really making it much nicer with all the raised details you're adding.

Mike.

Mike,

looks in such a way, as if we have there both the same preference and in addition still fun thereby! You are also more magnificent more scratch builder. :rolleyes:

:wave:

Actually it should go with the Access Platforms at the Side 1 further, and I had begun thereby already.

ap1i.jpg

I strengthened the upper section of the platform (in front) again with 2 mm of Balsa. Behind it the lower part of the platform lies. The two recesses on the right and left were suggested in D. Maiers kit template only as such, what does not please me however, and therefore I it cut out. Above the right recess (arrow) later a long stairway leads to the upper deck (0 Level) of the MLP, and above the left opening (arrow) a camera sits on a small platform.

s1lmitteap1profilegitte.jpg

source: NASA

Since I found out however in the meantime, there was not this stairway at the MLP-2 with the STS-6 yet at all, and therefore I had omitted her.

With more exact regarding of the platform parts me the question came, how the platforms in reality looked whether is closed, or whether it concerns broken through gratings, which I thereupon followed.

After I looked at myself some NASA photos exactly, I found out that it concerns open gratings, as one can see in this photo.

s1s4gitterroste.jpg

And after I had found that out, me the following idea came: Why I should not try whether the top sides of the Access Platforms would drive themselves out not also as gratings leave. And there I was with my thoughts immediately again with the small ventilation screen on the Side 4, which I had scratch built from a ribbon.

bogenschleife.jpg

I am some more at considering, whether I am to really do myself the expenditure, but would already provoke me that. And therefore I become that next times plan. If it folds, I could build all other ACCESS Platforms also in such a way.

That however would mean that I must build also the underbody for the gratings themselves, and for it needs I to all only times the necessary profiles. Those are essentially I-beam sections, on the basis the photos estimate I times so approx. 1,5x2,5 mm (1:160). And then it would also present itself to likewise build the struts from plastic profiles and do without the paper struts.

Completely so fast I will be able to start thereby not yet. After careful consideration I mean textile variant envisaged with the ribbon for the gratings probably nevertheless to reject and the rust instead from metallic tissue to make. That would then in any case be the more solid and more durable solution, as I find.

Then I already procured myself the first profiles for the building of platforms, with which it could to start then shortly.

messingprofile.jpg

Those are from top to bottom:

I-beam section 3x1,5 mm plastic

I-beam section 2,5x1,5 mm brass

L-section 2x1 mm brass

Angle profile 1x1 mm brass

Edited by spaceman

For the gratings I will use now fine-mesh PE plates from brass. Therefor I have estimated the mesh size of the gratings on the basis this and other photos roughly as follows:

s1s4gitterrostearc.jpg

Thus the mesh size should amount to therefore in the original 12.0x2.4 cm and in 1:160 0.75x0.15 mm. Since however so fine-mesh PE plates are offered by no manufacturer, I decided then for a mesh width of 1.2x0.7 mm, which corresponds to the original at least in 2nd approximation. :rolleyes:

Therefore I selected now and ordered gratings with 1.2x0.7 mm of mesh size of the Polish company ABER, for which I wait now.

gitterrostpe.jpg

source: McM Marketing

So that it precedes nevertheless, I turned, i.e. now to another important equipment of the MLP the two Tail service masts (TSM). Those are the box-like things to both sides of the SSME exhaust hole, by whose interfaces the shuttle is connected with the MLP. Over it all important supply lines and connections run, via which the shuttle stack is supplied with all necessary media (energy, fuels, data etc.), which are needed during the mission.

mlp11.jpg

The TSM parts look on the kit sheet in such a way:

tsmbogen.jpg

Although both TSM's from the outside form look almost alike, they differ nevertheless in some details, which will still have to be seen. I began first with the right TSM, by which the pipe for the liquid oxygen (LO2) runs.

In the building guidance all steps are in detail illustrated.

tsmanleitung.jpg

First again reinforcement pieces for the two TSM bases had to be made, to which I had used Balsa and cardboard in proven way again, in order to come on the necessary strength. However the template of the paper kit (black) proved as too inaccurate and/or useless.

tsmteile.jpg

In the next step the cores will be glued gradually into the paper covering.

Update is coming soon, but first of all you should update however your signature, since you started yes now your project 1/144th STS-134-Pad 39A, which might interest surely many. I am already curious, as it continues to go.:wave:

Done. Thanks

And now the cores were glued into the paper covering.

tsmhp.jpg

In front of the TSM lies one of the two opening flaps with the Balsa reinforcement, which must be glued still in each case on the dark strips on front site and back.

And in such a way the base of the TSM looks then:

tsmkrper.jpg

The two opening flaps are not glued to yet, since only still the larger cover (M1B on the sheet above) must to the left TSM side to, which projects laterally, to which then the opening flaps directly attaches.

The bizarre thing (M1C) in the center are parts of the pipings, which I will however not build of paper, because as a too reckless exercise appears to me, whose failing I would like itself to save gladly. That can be made surely more elegant from plastic profiles and wire, thinks I times.

The orange parts right beside the TSM are to show one „the plug “, whereby I do not realize myself however yet whether I will build those. Thus I must anyway still wait, until that will be finished shuttle (1:144), in order to see whether it would then still fit between them.

Here however first again the first TSM, still without decorating details such as pipings, cable, ports, etc., but at least already with the opening flaps in front and in the back as well as with the lateral cover to SSME chamber.

tsmkrpermakro.jpg

The next picture shows the preparations for the second TSM:

tsmkrperhlle.jpg

Then there is a small difference in form of a curved hood, which pulls itself over the TSM curvature to consider with this TSM.

mlp11.jpg

This curved hood (M2F) exhibits a lamellar extension, which is a Cable Tray according to D. Maier's kit.

kabeld.jpg

So far for today.

In the meantime now also the other TSM is including hood so well finished, up to the pipings, cables and ports, and so on.

2tsm.jpg

And therefore I already made a first fitting apart from SSME chamber. To firmly glue together I did not want the TSM's however yet, since the missing pipes and so on can adapt and be moved probably nevertheless more skillfully, as long as one takes the parts into the hand and as desired to turn and can turn.

tsm0o.jpg

Well please, thus the MLP gets now slowly also more and more a correct face,

tsm1.jpg

and accepts thereby now ever more clearly his salient courses.

tsm2.jpg

tsm3.jpg

In the meantime now also the piping mechanics already began with their work and a sample of the thicker two pipes(approx. 1 mm ø) at the right TSM by right bent:

tsmleitung.jpg

After a first fitting, which actually looked completely acceptably,

tsmmitleitung.jpg

was one then however nevertheless the opinion that this cannot be yet the optimal solution. Since the thicker pipe has not continuous the same diameter, but should be absolutely improved itself within the front range before the Umbilical flap rejuvenated, as in the picture is to be seen here, according to opinion of the chief inspector.

tsmrechtsm1arohrleitung.jpg

See times whether the boys still somehow managed.

While the piping mechanics at the TSM must wait still for the correct pipes, it could go for it with the Access platforms further, since yes the grating PE plates, mesh size 1.2x0.7 mm, in the meantime were delivered by MCM Marketing.

peplatinen.jpg

Those are actually as small with 78x44 mm, as announced, do not look not bad for it however. B)

peplatine.jpg

The brass L-profiles 2x1 mm lay already some time in the camp. Now it can go then finally also with the Access Platforms at the MLP Side 1 further.

WOW, just wow!

Thank you for the wonderful build, and sharing all the photos.

Mark, Thanks for the encouraging words. Today I will begin with the Access Platforms on Side 1, there am I already curious, as the fine-mesh brass gratings could be processed.

Thanks Mike for the kind words! By then you must have some more patience please. First must become finished MLP, then it continues with more FSS tower, RSS and the stack. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I've been following your work on your stack and it's coming along great. B)

Let's begin with the first Access Platform.

gitterwinkel.jpg

Therefore next the measures of the platform marked out successively on the L-beam (2x1 mm), at the corners the narrow side (1 mm) carefully in each case a miter was in-filed, and the first bend already had his turn.

winkel0.jpg

And it already went around the next corner and to the next bend, and so on … However looks simply, the next pictures therefore in fast consequence:

winkel1.jpg

winkel2.jpg

winkel3.jpg

And the first framework was finished in principle already. And therefore directly to the PE-plate with the grating, to which now the framework measures became to transfer.

rahmenplatine.jpg

Afterwards the first part of the grating was carefully cut out, :wacko: fit in within the frameworks and glued together with Superglue.

rahmengitterhalb.jpg

Now the missing rest of the grating was to be only installed, and the first Access platform was so well finished already, up to the small framework for the camera landing.

rahmengitterganz.jpg

And the boys created that just before the end of workday.

rahmengitterpodest.jpg

Next then the underbody with the girders and bracers has his turn. Since I did not want to use the shown platform brackets from the Paper kit, plastic profiles were used. For the girders I used now H-beams 1.5x1.5 mm, which conclude the frameworks downward concisely with the L-beam. The planned I-beams 2x1,3 mm would have over confessed downward over the frameworks.

profilestreben.jpg

And if already the girders from plastic are, then the bracers naturally also. In addition I used I-beams 2.5x1.3 mm. The bracers were cut on length, are diagonally filed and must be glued then next diagonally under the platform girders. And only if all girders and bracers glued together, the entire platform can be painted to the end and be installed afterwards at the MLP Side 1.

Great start on your access platforms. It is amazing what can be done in paper these days. Here are the access platforms that you are working on now.I hope the photos help you out.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Edited by Yasa

Manfred ... I didn't read it on your 1st page, but are the platforms that you are making from PE ... is all that extra PE from LVM Studios?

... or is it all just brass stock that you are forming in to the platforms?

And what type of tool do you use to cut the Mitres in the brass L-beam?

Yasa, are those platforms just paper? The grating too? And is it all just paper or is the paper wrapping around wood or plastic?

... and yesirree, it IS amazing what can be done in paper these days!

Thanx for your postings!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Great start on your access platforms. It is amazing what can be done in paper these days. Here are the access platforms that you are working on now.I hope the photos help you out.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Hi Yasa,

your platforms look fantastically. What for a MLP do you build and in which scale do you build it? Is that a scratch build or from a Paper kit similar like David Maier's kit, which you use?

Where one can see some more photos of your project?

From which material are the gratings and which mesh size have them?

Hi Spaceman, Sorry if I hijacked your thread a little. The platforms are scratchbuilt from CAD drawings designed for paper templates which are printed out on A4 paper then coated with adhesive and glued to the paperstock you are using. You then cut them out and peel off the template when completed. The CAD files and templates are done by a friend of mine.I am currently experimenting with using plastic card in place of the paper. I build in 1/96 scale and 1/72 scale. The MLP is 1/96 scale and is a test for the templates. I am about to begin a 1/72 scale LUT using this method. One LUT and tractor crawler has been completed already in 1/96 scale using this method.

The mesh is actually nylon vail material from a bridal shop.

I like your build of the MLP. I have the LUT in 1/72 scale which I bought from the same guy as you did the MLP. I wanted to see what the quality was like.My friends work and methods are vastly superior and more accurate than this method.

Edited by Yasa

Manfred ... I didn't read it on your 1st page, but are the platforms that you are making from PE ... is all that extra PE from LVM Studios?

... or is it all just brass stock that you are forming in to the platforms?

And what type of tool do you use to cut the Mitres in the brass L-beam?

Pete

Hi Pete,

The gratings are not PE-plates of LVM studios but from the Polish Company ABER, which I bought from MCM Marketing in Germany. For the mitres I used a small triangular file and for cutting of the L-beams a small separation grinding wheel (Dremel).

werkzeuge.jpg

Thanks guys for the encouraging words, your praise continues to spur me.

So, well then ago with the bracers - Stop times people! These pipsqueaks one should not naturally want to glue in such a way from the hollow hand, that would not become accurate. Therefore I considered myself following small assembly aids for the right angles:

mhilfe.jpg

And now it can start, and always carefully the bracers with the tweezers to snap, so that they do not jump aside again, with Superglue dabs and then fast and accurately at the characterized places diagonally against the platform carriers glued. And after the 9th bracer it was then finally creative.

streben.jpg

And because it went so beautifully, directly still the first cross-beams were by right cut and adapted, which can be glued now.

querstreben.jpg

Well yes, sees already completely properly out for first, or? :rolleyes:

Uff, laboriously nourishes itself the squirrel ...

Well yes, sees already completely properly out for first, or? :rolleyes:

Uff, laboriously nourishes itself the squirrel ...

:) Manfred, my friend, I wish I could read and understand German so that I could read your own original thread, but I must say, that the translation you're using is ... um :rolleyes: ... getting ... um ... a little :D how can I say this nicely ... humourous :rofl:

Those last two sentences especially don't make a lot of sense ... :lol: but they are very funny to read!

I really do appreciate the extra effort you make to post here, re-linking all the pix and translating into English, so please, please don't be offended ... I just had to mention it to you. I hope you'll understand :pray:

Thank you

Pete :wave:

Hi Pete, old fellow, no problem for me, don't worry be happy. You are right, my English could be better and the translator tool, which I use surely also. :woot.gif:

The last sentence is a German proverb, which you possibly don't know ... :rofl:

Actually the photos would have to be sufficient and I suggest therefore, ignore the text simply. But once more, it's not a problem for me and for you hopefully also not! :banana: