Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Thanks bubble for your nice words, here comes the next update.

After the completion of blast shields was the fitting of the larger canopy now.

bs1anprobe.jpg

And it is quite clear, that it now slowly but surely means taking leave of the beautiful sight of exposed pipes and fittings on the two Valve skids, to which I had adjusted already. :crying2:

bs1anprobe1.jpg

For the left canopy still bars between the reinforcing bracers had to be glued in place, because otherwise there would be open columns at the back edge.

At that time I had to omit the grand staircase of the Access platform AP 1 to the upper deck of the MLP, because there was no staircase on the MLP-2 during the STS-6 mission. But over the sub-frame for the stand of the monitoring camera of the LOX valve skid I have not thought, because she was on all my former photos, like this.

side1ventile.jpg

Source: NASA

And as the camera focused on the LH2-Valve skid is not on a stand, but hangs on the right side of the large canopy, I've looked closer to this place on the MLP-2 photo by the STS-6, and three times you can guess... :gr_hail:

kamerapfeil.jpg

Source: http://www.retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

The local camera was also not on a stand, but hung under the small canopy, and at that time showed on the left equipment pallet. And accordingly there were also no stand. So I must remove the sub-frame on my platform, hopefully without greater field damage to set. :woot.gif:

But before this operation and before the Blast shields finally come into place, farewell here again some last views at the still-open platforms on Side 1.

letzterblick1.jpg

letzterblick2.jpg

letzterblick3.jpg

So long. :coolio:

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

WOW! Manfred this is just tooo freakin' awesome. I hate to see all that work being obscured by the blast covers. Which leads me to a small suggestion. Maybe you could light the platform? using small LEDs, it would show off all of that brilliant work you've done in the dark crevices of this thing. With your skills, it should be fairly easy for you. Whatcha think? Just an idea.

Bill

Thanks Bill and Mike for your kind words, I am also glad and proud of the result of this painful but ultimately successful work on Side 1. :)

The idea with the lighting is not bad, but maybe too complicated. :gr_eek2: Then you should probably think about optical fiber cable, which I unfortunately don't know. :dontknow: LED's are perhaps too big for this scale.

Edited by spaceman

Hey Manfred,

I found something that may help you with your build. A company called LVM Studios has produced a photo-etch detail set for the Revell Launch Complex 39 kit. It may be of some use and save you some scratch building once you get to the gantry portion of the build. You can find the parts for purchase here:

LC39 Detail Kits 1-3

LC39 Detail Kit 4

And now the "lid" is finally on it, but most of the details are still to see, you should select only a different perspective.

blastshield1.jpg

blastshield1.jpg

And now the smaller blast shield is also finished and could be mounted.

blastshield1u21.jpg

Now I have glued the metal strips over the joints of the panels, which are only implied in the Paper kit, and thus both blast shields now are almost complete. :coolio:

blastshield1u23.jpg

blastshield1u24.jpg

Now, under the large canopy even the three Pipe hangars of the LH2-Transfer line missing, which leads to the LH2-Tunnel.

sts6pipehangars.jpg

Quelle: www.retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

They come next time. :thumbsup:

Now I have installed the staircase to the Crawler, from the most accessible point from below. This is the folded state,

treppe1.jpg

treppe3.jpg

and so she is unfolded, now missing only the railing before. :rolleyes:

treppe2b.jpg

As far as for today.

Thanks Mike and Manfred for your kind words. :worship:

I intend to build both variants, so also the Crawler. The MLP so might be mounted at the Pad as a part of the diorama. To do this, but the FSS and RSS must be installed. :woot.gif:

About the lighting I've thought already, best fiber optic cable would be, but for this purpose, the scale 1:160 is probably too small. And I also have no experience with this technique. :crying2:

Perhaps, I will reproduce some of the lamps, let's see.

Manfred, this is just over the top... :salute:/>

I cannot believe the level of detail you are putting into this, and it is all so convincing, and to scale.

Absolutely Beautiful!!

Thanks Marco for the nice words. :worship: Sometimes I am amazed and wonder where this will lead to even. I would have not believed previously that I manage these details on the two Valve skids actually to scratch-build, and now I got it and I am very happy. :coolio:

In such combined Kit/scratch-build projects such as this one should not to be sure that everything runs smoothly and nothing in between. Because firstly, it is otherwise, and secondly as you think... :whistle:

And prompt the fate has struck again. :gr_hail:

After now the two blast shields were mounted, I occupied myself ever with the LOX/LH2-Transducer panels. These panels are for control of process parameters of the LOX and LH2 circuits which can logically be seen on Side 1 photos only from behind, because they are served from the back. :rolleyes:

mpl3side1xxlpfeile.jpg

Source: NASA

The panels are mounted between T-beam bracers, that sit between the Access platform 1 and two Blast shields (LOX transducer Panel) or between the Access platforms 2 and 3 (LH2 transducer Panel) and stand upright. As a result these Panels must be the blast shields line up, and thus the problem what I got suddenly. :(

Check this alignment, I had to sadly realize that the access platform under the larger blast shield protrudes too far forward. Although only about 2 mm, but so that the T-beams of the mounting bracers would be not perpendicular but oblique. :unsure:

What now, said Zeus ... :dontknow: Take everything so leave and thus inclined beams in purchase, but bite the bullet or the access platform according to shorten? :crying2:

Now, anyone who knows me, senses how I decided maybe. And since I'm not satisfied with such half-measures, I opted for the cut in the upper lip, and must bite through willy-nilly me. :bandhead2:

After I had decided to this emergency surgery, I first cut off the superfluous subframe for the camera with my Dremel cutting disc and then carefully removed the front brass angle profile which was still relatively easily because it was glued to the platform bracers with Superglue.

winkelweg.jpg

But now came the more difficult part of the exercise, because now in addition approx. 1.5 mm had to away, as you can see here.

anlagesteglinien.jpg

And therefore the PE mesh had also to shorten, what initially already terrified me. :gr_hail:

Because I wanted to take no risk, I put aside the Dremel, probably the whole grid together with the valve skid would be flown to my ears in the action ... :woot.gif:

That is why I have taken to the nail scissors and have carefully cut off piece for piece under the magnifying glass,

lupeu.jpg

what you can see here.

spanz.jpg

Then I have reduced again the bracers with the Dremel, with which the operation was almost finished, and the patient is even still alive. :thumbsup:

anlagestegfinal.jpg

Now the brass angle could to be glued again , and so the case was resolved, thank God. :worship:

winkeldran.jpg

And to get back to other thoughts, I further made even with the railing in front of the foldaway stairs and the front staircase between the Access platforms AP 2 and AP 3.

treppej.jpg

So but enough for today.

Edited by spaceman

Manfred,

You did such a perfect job of cutting the access platform. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's one of the problems with a project like this, finding issues along the way but you managed to make the fix look like nothing had been touched. Well done!

Mike.

Thanks Mike and Manfred for your nice comments,

ultimately, everything has fortunately gone well and I'm at least relieved. I also believe when now comes the color still on it, you will hardly see the operating scars. :coolio:

Don't be so fussy, Manfred! :yahoo: So, I am now. The devil is in the details. :gr_devil: My ambition and love for details would not allow such leaning and crooked things, the sight would disturb me. And therefore, I do prefer it once again and can sleep afterwards again peacefully ... zzz.gif

The staircase builders have made next and took measurements on the Access platforms.

treppenvorlackierung.jpg

After that, the stairs went to the fitting,

treppenanprobe.jpg

and then in the paint, together with the rails and some profiles for the Pipe Hangars and Transducer Panels.

treppenprofilenachlacki.jpg

Next I began with the three Transducer Panels that I had shown already in the original image. Here is the first panel, sitting between the two Access Platforms 2 and 3.

tpanel1pfeil.jpg

Source: www.retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

From the paper kit I take only the front board that is glued on a sheet of 0.2 mm. For the lateral bracers I used T-beams 1.5 mm, and 0.25 mm ø steel rods for the cables.

transducerpanel0.jpg

transducerpanel1.jpg

The other two panels sit between the Access platform 1 and the two Blast Shields and were rebuilt as well.

transducerpanel12.jpg

And here, all three panels are already finished and painted. The first panel still got another front plate, as the MLP-2 on STS-6 (green arrowhead) did not have these black cables right in front of the plate.coolio.gif The template of the Paper kit, however, comes from the MLP-2 in the last missions, where these cables were actually. :rolleyes: The little boxes I have indicated and made of 0.5 mm round profile.

transducerpanel13.jpg

Prior to the installation of the panel the rear staircase and railing in front of the foldaway stairs were installed, and only then the panel itself.

tpanel1mlp.jpg

Edited by spaceman

As well as the railing on the left followed.

treppeneinbau.jpg

At the end, yet the front stairs between the two platforms was glued.

treppeneinbau1.jpg

From there it continues now with railings, that I've ever tried,

anprobegelnder.jpg

and then the two stacked Transducer Panels follow.

Well, that was all in all a quite stressful, but again is well done. :coolio:

Manfred,

Well done indeed!!! :jaw-dropping:

The railings, Transducer Panels and stairs look great and blend perfectly with the rest of the details.

It looks like you shrunk down a real MLP. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Mike.

Thanks Mike you for the appreciative words, :worship: but for this I would can conjure up. :woot.gif:

I think it fits so far everything very well to each other.

After the railings, I searched for awhile until I've found the right form. They have longer feet so that I can paste it in front of the leading edge of the Access platforms as in the original MLP. :coolio:

Great update Manfred. So much fine detail.

One question, I couldn't find the giant clothes peg anywhere in the photos of the real MLP. Would you be able to highlight it for me please? :lol:

Well done Sir. :thumbsup:

Thanks Manfred for the nice words, you're a little Joker, :yahoo: but fun must be. :clap2:

Great progress, by the way I ordered the parts you mentioned to me for my LUT build and I will probably scratch build a lot more than I originally planned.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Ralf, which pleased that it continues to like and further inspires you. :coolio:

And it is better if you want scratch-build some load-bearing parts of the LUT by plastic profiles and not of paper are doing. This is much more stable and above all much better looks. You'll see, worth the effort, and I have not regretted it yet. :thumbsup:

Edited by spaceman