Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hi there,

but before I start tinkering these details to my so laboriously bent Firex-line, I tried different things in advance as a precaution, so there are no nasty surprises. :rolleyes:

This concerned initially once the pre-drilling of the pipe and glue the spray nozzles. And when handling this specimen it actually came to feared kinking at one point that was drilled through. :woot.gif:

OYoasD.jpg

That is why I again drilled in the next experiments only with a few turns and this time tried yet to prick up the nozzle ends after gluing slightly. This is a bit tricky because of the danger of breakage and also risky, but it worked for these two nozzles. :coolio:

VOIAWz.jpg

Then still a couple of adhesive experiments with MEK, right with pre-drilling, and left without, so just put the profile and painted at the foot with MEK.

qyYca4.jpg

While this holds first, as you can see, the adhesive contact is not yet stable enough to manipulate on the part, and gave up his spirit.

Then I made up my mind, the two lateral nozzle behind the first bend, which are angled twice,

up045165.jpg

Source: NASA

Then I made up my mind the two lateral nozzles behind the first bend, which are angled twice, and have this first bent only normal, without hot air. Because they're so beautiful thin, I thought that maybe would be enough.

xAI5Q0.jpg

But after some time (30 min.) the nozzle had again bent back slightly. :rolleyes: Consequently, you have to help out more with hot air even when bending these thin profiles.

i8CVkB.jpg

Next, I tried the support to a waste line, for which I have used Evergreen Strips (0,38x0,75 mm). For that I have short strips (each with slightly supernatant) initially glued under the line,

2oonks.jpg

then also from behind,

2dIjWn.jpg

and finally separated the supernatants.

LVQyHn.jpg

Finally, I have glued even a clamping ring made of lead wire (0.3 mm) between the two supports, which is however hardly recognizable.

XCqROc.jpg

That would be something like the procedure, what I would have to perform well at my Firex-line a number of times. But in hindsight, I think that it will be more favorable from the assembly process when I first glue all supports, then after that the holes are pre-drilled and the last nozzle glued. Because the few nozzles already were standing in the way during sticking of the supports and cutting off the supernatants. :rolleyes:

And in the same way the supports and the nozzles will be mounted on the front two branch lines. However, I'm still thinking if I previously glue these lines to the main line, or after gluing the front supports and nozzles, but probably the latter.

The final gluing of the entire line with all the bits and pieces around the SSME hole only can happen little by little, and support for support, and is likely to become probably quite stressful. :gr_hail:

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

Hi there,

so, today I will continue with the front two branch lines, the assembly process I have specified once more. :rolleyes: Now I want to build the branch lines with the supports and nozzles separately and then mount on the main line, and finally all should be painted together. :coolio:

In addition I have been a little bit experimenting with the structure of the supports. The supports are sitting on a base plate that is bolted to the Blast Shield, and support the tube only on the outside, as you can see in this picture.

sfexbj.jpg

And this structure, I have tried to replicate in different versions in which the difficulty is that the parts are only in the millimeter range. :woot.gif:

These are the two branch lines (1.2 mm diameter) with the mark for the supports.

blDZAu.jpg

For the base plates Evergreen Strips 1,0x0,25 mm are used again with sufficient supernatants to facilitate further assembly.

TRgGc9.jpg

And these are my first test with 1 mm "long" profile stubs, applied on the outside of the line, from left to right:

0,5x0,5 mm, 0,75x0,75 mm, and 0,38x0,75 mm.

epB949.jpg

For another test I have made a T-beam and glued a strip 0,5x0,5 mm on a strip 0,25x0,75 mm.

XWfNJA.jpg

Of this I have removed a 1 mm stub, shocked.gif

2aPtHp.jpg

thus expanding my test series.

a0Di1x.jpg

Since the differences in white plastic are hardly visible, I have the line painted provisionally gray, whereby you can see the contours better.

1KuStN.jpg

Here is the legend about this:

1: 0,5x0,5 mm

2: T-beam, foot 0,5x0,5 mm on 0,25x0,75 mm

3: T-beam, foot 0,25x0,5 mm on 0,25x0,75 mm

4: 0,75x0,75 mm

5: 0,38x0,75 mm

6: 0,5x0,75 mm

Now I just have to decide, but even though I might almost exclude the composite T-beams as this seems to be too much affectation that the effort not worth it. :rolleyes:

What do you think? undecided.gif

Hey Guys,

and because I love this tricky details so, I have dared and decided for this T-shaped pipe supports on the Firex-line

2jXpnD.jpg

and therefore measured the geometry on the basis of the close-up image again in more detail. :rolleyes:

23Yqcs.jpg

Then I've made a new T-beam by gluing an Evergreen Strip 0,5x0,5 mm on a handcarved Styrene Strip 0,2x0,7 mm, from which I carefully have tapped off 1 mm "long" stubs. That worked still relatively good, but the gluing of these midgets was then nothing for the faint hearted and succeded only with bated breath between two heartbeats. omgsign.gif

863G0o.jpg

After that, the supernatants were still tapped off, and the branch line was completed, ie almost, because the Nozzles are missing still, but also will come. :coolio:

hiUzl2.jpg

And then I wanted to have a look on this line on the MLP and am more than satisfied with the result. icon_thumb.gif

QHNioO.jpg

wb5bXw.jpg

But now I have to get some fresh air for now. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Hi there,

today I will continue. :coolio:

At the branch line in front of the LH2 TSM still missing the spray nozzles. For that I have used the thinnest Evergreen rods Ø 0.5 mm and sharpened the front slightly. And on this occasion I have mounted the clamping ring of 0.4 mm lead wire at the end.

Then I carefully pre-drilled the holes, then plugged in the nozzle stubs and glued with MEK.

cAukgn.jpg

Euavdn.jpg

And so does the environment around the SSME shaft around slowly take form. :woo:

dULUg3.jpg

20WZyx.jpg

So far so good, and so as not to come only out of practice, I have done the supports of the other branch pipe in front of the LOX TSM in the same way, as usual.

WeCTdF.jpg

7iMcjo.jpg

Now missing only the four nozzles,

oi0IPP.jpg

a2Jq1j.jpg

Now missing only the four Nozzles, and then it goes on to the rear main line with the local supports and nozzles. :thumbsup:

Somehow these small stuff is pretty stressful, :gr_hail: but that uses all nothing, needs must. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello guys,

and thus continue on the back of the Firex main pipe where there are similarly structured supports and a lot of nozzles. The difference can be seen well on the next two panorama pictures, although you have to look closely.

NEkb3S.jpg

The base plate is screwed just at the end on the Blast Shield, the front is significantly narrower and the rear supernatant is minimal.

up044685.jpg

Consequently, my supports look somewhat different from the front and consist of three parts. For the substructure I've composed a Styrene Strip 0,25x1,0 mm (length) and a strip 0,25x0,75 mm (short) and glued with MEK.

ifRpvh.jpg

Now we continue on the template where I first marked on the line the numbered positions of the nozzles. The ten red marks indicate the location of the supports, the green belong to the clamping rings.

MtSTeX.jpg

Then I lined up the lower parts and fixed with tape and glued the vertically standing buttocks (0,38x0,75 mm).

8BpWyc.jpg

Ug61Yc.jpg

This angles, I then placed under the line to the red points and glued with MEK, initially in the right half,

DrfSKM.jpg

k1yxUo.jpg

and after re-clamping in the left half.

VXi04y.jpg

0gskSZ.jpg

And now also the supernatants can be tapped off,

lKP2ZO.jpg

first the parts in front of the line,

3FmoLE.jpg

and then behind them.

QksJ4s.jpg

And so have already done the ten supports. 40.gif

IhZhPa.jpg

And as you can see, it all fits together well and still does not look bad.

iBsg7Q.jpg

9jByhu.jpg

And tomorrow it will become funny, then the tension rings and the remaining nozzles are waiting for me. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Hi there,

first I have to add the nozzles on the branch line in front of the LOX TSM, with which the two branch lines are now complete. :coolio:

Jryjs1.jpg

Then, as already announced, now to the clamping rings I've bent of 0.3 mm lead wire. On the back of the Firex main line there are six of them, two of them sit in the middle, next to the two single supports,

5jTbSi.jpg

and the other four between the support pairs.

obi10t.jpg

Then I pre-drilled the holes for the nozzles (Ø 0,5 mm). Since one can easily slip during drilling on the thin line (1.2 mm diameter) but that line was fixed again in a proven manner.

PsqqHw.jpg

And then I started with the nozzles which have been seen more often.

up045165.jpg

These are first of all the 12 about 3 mm long stubs on the back of the line, which are aligned obliquely forward towards the orbiter, and the three longer angled branches respectively right and left at the end behind the bows, and in the middle.

And even on these thin nozzle pipes there are clamping rings. :rolleyes:

3wG2h6.jpg

And the two angled nozzles in the last picture are sitting at this point here, where the space probably should be very narrow. :woot.gif:

4XRVn8.jpg

And as you can see, behind this nozzle there is also a small support with a holding ring and a further clamping ring, and these things were then also still done. :thumbsup:

Since there are also such clamping rings in front of the TSMs, these were also done.

JouUmJ.jpg

LYynLo.jpg

To be continued ...

And after that I tried on this angled nozzles,

E4DD0S.jpg

and glued together with the three nozzle pipes with MEK.

lM0Ltf.jpg

And now to the nozzle stubs,

h7SChd.jpg

whereby the insertion of these tiny parts with the tweezers into the holes was extremely stressful, :gr_eek2:

em82QB.jpg

which has not always worked right away.

But finally all 25 nozzles were then installed, and the sight of this bizarre structure will be quite impressive, I think. :coolio:

uj5CIZ.jpg

Ec5xnQ.jpg

And for today as a crowning finale the picture with two TSMs which compensates for all effort. 40.gif

AmgN1e.jpg

That's it for today. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Thanks bubble for your nice compliment, bow.gif

this Firex line with its tiny supports and nozzles was a crazy stuff, gr_hail.gif but the effort was worth it and I'm very happy with the result so far. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Thanks Mike for your nice words. I am glad that you like my work and you still stay tuned. lob3.gif

But you are also a friend of tiny details and know as well how much patience for such crazy things is necessary, when I think of your incredible job with the thousands of tiles and blankets. n060.gif

No pain no gain! gimme5.gif

hallo.gif

Thanks Pete. cool.gif

Hi there,

the question of the space for the SSWS line above the angled nozzles but has left me no rest, so I had to check out right now of its dimensions. rolleyes.gif

Here you can see this place. For the thick ring line (24''), coming from the left, I will use a rod with Ø 4,0 mm. The tubular transition then has Ø 2,5 mm and tapers in front of the TSM to Ø 1,8 mm, where are sitting further eight nozzles. shocked.gif

8zcC2g.jpg

And here I have tried with such a profile Ø 1,8 mm if that still will fit through the gap under the ladder and behind the angled nozzle,

qjsKXX.jpg

and it fits actually what now makes me feel relieved and confident. cool.gif

hallo.gif

Hi together,

so, let's go to at last thicker SSWS pipes and the associated supports. :coolio:

For this I can initially resort to my erstwhile pull-ups before the conversion of the SRB holes when I had started already with the SSWS. Who wants to track once more precisely, can please scroll back to pp. 25 (#493). :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I can forget my former pipes (1:160) as they are a little too narrow and too short for the 1:144 holes. :woot.gif:

In the following general layout drawing the position of the pipe supports of the 24'' line (Ø 4,0 mm) is marked, and there are respectively 18 supports around each SRB hole. :gr_eek2:

up028422.jpg

At the green marked points 14 supports are located with closing clamp bands to replace these line segments as needed or to service, as can be seen in the next picture.

The remaining 4 supports on the red marked points having no such clamp bands. When evaluating the photographic material I have discovered some supports (1, 3, 8, 12, 14) and supplemented, which are missing in the drawing.

v0dgHM.jpg

Source: NASA (Streetview)

Furthermore, it should be noted that all supports are standing on the MLP deck, while no. 10, 11 and 12 are on the Blast Shield. Accordingly, these supports have a shorter foot and also slightly different structure.

BQprCy.jpg

As has been shown in a previous post (Reply #1091), the 24'' pipe (Ø 4,0 mm) behind the support 1 tapers to 14'' (Ø 2,5 mm) which is why the local support has a special structure too.

JbcAUq.jpg

All remaining supports have otherwise the same structure as it is clearly seen here.

up028421.jpg

Such support I had at that time already been scratched, I actually had quite liked,

up028426.jpg

but from today's perspective the dimensions (L=5.0 mm, W=3.2 mm), and in particular its clear height (4.0 mm) seem to be a bit too large. :rolleyes:

And with that problems in determining the scaled dimensions inevitably reveal, which unfortunately is often difficult due to perspective distortion of reference photos.

In David Maier's Paper kit these supports are unfortunately only hinted, whereat the clear heights of 2.5 mm respectively 1.5 mm appears to be too low.

up028323.jpg

Consequently, I made again a lot of measurements and estimates based on different images and perspectives lupe.gif and now I tend to a clearance of 3.5 mm on the deck, respectively 2.0 mm on the SRB Blast Shields, that are 1.5mm high with me. :thumbsup:

This arrangement I have now simulated with my old pipe in a test, for this I have used provisional support dummies of corresponding height. And in order to see how and to what height the line arrives at the inner corner of the TSM, I have provisionally glued the two tapers at the front end.

Q7s2Al.jpg

YPTsFa.jpg

As this support arrangement actually fits quite well and I also like the look, I will now try to scratch build two matching support patterns. :coolio:

Hello together,

on the problems arising from the perspective distortions of the images when determining the dimensions of the items needed for the supports I had already pointed out. :rolleyes:

As an illustration, I have this image of the thick 24'' pipe whose diameter (4 mm) usually was the reference value for the conversion to the model scale.

NY8oS8.jpg

BTW, the estimation of the clear height especially had given me a lot headache, but that is important, especially since it is identical to the height of the support.

As you can see here, the clear height should then be roughly equivalent to the pipe diameter, or about 4 mm. Because the evaluation of other photos from different perspectives with better resolution but gave predominantly smaller values by 3 mm, I'd at the end spoiled for choice and had to decide. And as already mentioned, I have now committed myself to 3.5 mm respectively 2.0 mm. :thumbsup:

ZbVqlS.jpg

And so now, but the actual work. :coolio:

For the most frequently occurring support (Type 1) next to the thick 24'' ring line I've been thinking about the following structure, which consists of five elements on which I've fiddled for a while. Therefore, at first I was interested to see whether this structure would be realizeable at all. :woot.gif:

xU3uW6.jpg

As a basic element (1) I will this time use an Evergreen channel (2,5x1,1 mm), and for the two crescent-shaped supports (2) and the base plate (3) Styrene (0,25 mm). The foot consists of two parts, the upper part (5) is a jewelry pearl (Ø 1,3x1,2 mm) and the lower part (4) a Styrene disk (Ø 1,5 mm). :coolio:

While the elements of the lower part (1, 3, 4, 5) should guarantee a uniform height, it will in particular depend on how to achieve the small crescent supports possibly with precise curves and always with the same height, so that all 30 supports at the end are also the same height. rolleyes.gif And these sickles I'll punch with my Punch & Die Set, the maximum diameter accidentally is 4 mm.

FB65rD.jpg

Although on the reference photos everything looks relatively large in the measurement and scaling, at the end there are but rather small parts. And from the punched sickle remains at the required height and width also not much left. :o

The uniform spacing of these crescents results from the fact that they are glued on both sides with MEK to a Styrene Strip (0,25x1,5 mm), which is then glued to the Evergreen Channel what I have previously tried it out with two test strips.

And so here are the necessary parts. To assemble the foot parts I've been thinking about, to thread them on a pin through a centering bore and then to glue in order to ensure a uniform alignment. :thumbsup:

N7a4z9.jpg

FIC3Uj.jpg

After alignment and fixation the items of the upper part gluing was made again with MEK, which has really proven for such mini-contacts.

qn6gIQ.jpg

The gluing of the foot parts, however, is a little more difficult, since the glass bead must be carefully glued with CA, but this can remain unfortunately also stick to the needle. :gr_hail:

MHd1Q3.jpg

jSxI6P.jpg

This has also so far worked, so I was initially glad in view of the feasibility of construction. :coolio:

To be continued ...

Here comes the rest.

6voL05.jpg

After detailed contemplation of my respectable result but I have decided to enlarge the disks on the base plate to 1.7 mm in diameter (left), what should better fit into the picture. :coolio:

wdqJBb.jpg

But my joy did not last long unfortunately, because in the next handles the support disintegrated again in two parts. :explode:

fQAiiu.jpg

So I had to think about another solution instead of the CA gluing, which has been obvious actually. :rolleyes: For why should I not stay with the MEK gluing and use a Styrene rod Ø 0,5 mm as a centering aid, which could remain in the support? :hmmm: Why did I come not immediately to this solution ... :doh:

And so one of the Nozzles has offered itself that was still close. :whistle:

O6I7Mq.jpg

No sooner said than done, this little rod I first glued into the upper part, then strung the lower part and glued,

QTobqZ.jpg

then only separated the rest under the base plate, and the case was settled. :yahoo:

A0fK5S.jpg

And this support is now hopefully more stable and can withstand a little more. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Hi guys,

before I give in order the small series of support Type 1, I have yet to try the other support Type 2. It is similar in construction, but has instead of Evergreen channel, only a disk on which the crescent-shaped supports sit, and is thus lower overall (2 mm). cool.gif

The lower part is only 1 mm high and is made of the same base plate (3,0x3,0x0,25 mm) and the cover plate (2,5x3,5x0,25 mm), between which a disc (Ø 1,7x0,5 mm) is sitting as a short foot.

a4pwLb.jpg

And on the cover plate sits the identical support part (photo, left edge) as the Type 1, again with crescents glued on both sides of a Styrene-Strip (0,25x1,5 mm), as here seen in the test arrangement.

SaSc3Q.jpg

Crta3h.jpg

For the final gluing of the parts with MEK again a Styrene rod Ø 0.5 mm was used as a centering and central axis.

And here are the two support types, the right of the larger Type 1, and left the little brother Type 2. icon_thumb.gif

60FKmI.jpg

And here are the two support types, the right of the larger Type 1, and left the little brother Type. 2

And so the small series can start now. While I still need only 5 supports Type 2, Type 1, however, still missing 29 pieces. shocked.gif

But do not worry, with patience and MEK should be manageable even still. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Hello friends,

today only a short flying visit. cool.gif

After the first two supports of each type were done, I was curious about how that with the clear height of the thick pipe on the deck (Type 1) and the SRB-Blast Shields (Type 2) would look like. And as you can see, with 3.5 mm respectively 2.0 mm that comes out quite well. speak_cool.gif

ylW8em.jpg

UrFiQ7.jpg

And also the thickening of the pipe at the transition to the 36'' pipe (6.0 mm), which comes from the Flame Trench, has sufficient air above the Blast Shield and does not overlie. icon_thumb.gif

up046093.jpg

And so nothing gets in the way of the small-series start. That sounds fairly harmless, but will be guaranteed stressful, especially since for the 29 supports of Type 1 after all, about 200 items will be installed. shocked.gif

This is so, as I said, again a real test of patience, gr_hail.gif but also I hope to survive, especially since it's not the first. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Hello everybody,

well, the garden asks incidentally so its toll on those hot days. :rolleyes: But I still tried to keep going and finally the small series of Pipe Supports Type 2 to start, which I so need only 5 pieces.

First to the preparation of the required items, as there would be the base plates (3x3 mm), feet (Ø 1,7x0,5 mm), the cover plates (2,5x3,5x0,25 mm) for the small sickles on which the pipes lie, and even sickles (0.25 mm). For this I've used my Punch&Die-Tool with 4 mm diameter as used already for the prototype.

In order to obtain possible a uniform height of 1 mm at the lowest point of the curve, I have used a corresponding spacers in the tool. And then it went on with punching, where you have to watch that one holds the punch vertically, since a small amount of play is present and the base plate is made of aluminum, which is not the last word. :unsure:

ghftAV.jpg

After that, I marked out in the strip 3 mm width of the sickles, which was quite a torture for the eyes, lupe.gif because this possible should be centered. :gr_hail:

TjM9Qc.jpg

Then I have individually cut the sickles, but this is not quite succeeded, especially since there were a certain scattering of widths. :gr_eek2: Aside are the discs (Ø 1,7 mm) for the short legs and the base and upper plates.

To make things worse, I have the sickles but not stored in pairs, so it was all messed up, what you can see here, I c...! :doh:

ga7pvF.jpg

Although I have tried to sort the couples still halfway through laborious remeasuring, these couples were still relatively unequal, which would have meant complicated reworking. That's why I've punched again a 2nd row and made it somewhat more accurately,

ewRt1B.jpg

where I have tried starting from the middle to uniformly cut the couples on the ruler to 3 mm in length, as it were "hand-picked. :coolio:

QyohXH.jpg

And thus the construction of the following supports was also more reproducible,

Baq2Ly.jpg

AckSbA.jpg

and thus also more evenly. :thumbsup:

usrcxc.jpg

And so it goes on, three type-2 support still missing,

jWcuOE.jpg

but not for long. :whistle:

Edited by spaceman