Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Manfred,

It looks good to me. Once it's painted and the pipes are installed on the MLP it will look just fine. The screws are so small at the 1:160 scale that the .4 mm tubes you are using look correct.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hello everybody,

finally the last two 18'' outlets without rejuvenation also have received their support plates.

8VjZra.jpg

0QNib4.jpg

Then I have shortly pre-drilled the upper bows with Ø 0.5 mm, inserted rods (Ø 0.45 mm) for the nipples and glued them with MEK,

D41s9i.jpg

which then were cut and carefully sanded down to 0.4 mm height. :coolio:

v0io2c.jpg

And then there were also still the six 18'' outlets with rejuvenation which I had almost forgotten. happy.gif

eObodh.jpg

Therefore the same procedure all over again on these bows.

mFkAmr.jpg

KKynWr.jpg

Now missing only the nipples of the two front 12'' outlets, which previously still have to get their outlet openings with baffles. up040577.gif

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif

Hi there,

Today I want already times to have a look ahead how it goes on shortly. :coolio:

There are still these two 9'' outlets (Ø 1.4 mm), which branch off before the 12'' outlet from the 24'' ring line, then run through below the SRB Blast Shields,

RomOpe.jpg

Source: NASA

and feed the line with the outlet nozzles on the rear wall of the SSME exhaust chamber,

6CUGlF.jpg

which I have completed for some time, as well as the tricky Firex line. a040.gif

up046117.jpg

And at the other end of the 24'' ring lines it goes on behind the TSM's with the 16'' rejuvenations (Ø 2.5 mm) which are tapering one more time to 11'' (Ø 1,8 mm) after the first bending,

JufpZD.jpg

and end in the SSME chamber in these pipes stocked with eight outlet nozzles.

up045585.jpg

In order to continue with these details, I had to make measurements and scalings again. huh.gif

jObYeh.jpg

And as it looks like, it will be probably again pretty tricky, I guess. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

here still a small addendum to two outlets that are missing yet, these are namely those four 6'' outlets (Ø 1 mm) here, which although were to be seen already, but have not yet been regarded.

oFnTH5.jpg

These transitions branch off from the ring lines, run under the SRB Blast Shields, and reappear between the front SRB Supports, whose ends with the outlet openings also already exist. happy.gif

up045181.jpg

And the two 24'' ring lines are fed in through these two 36'' inlet pipes in the corners of the SRB-wells that were already shown also.

Here is the upper confluence into the ring line,

wfKeJ9.jpg

and here the lower end with the coupling elements,

vt5wVB.jpg

Source: Troy McClellan

which must not be missing. top2.gif

And in order that during the further adaptation and assembly of various outlets everything goes well and the ring lines cannot shift constantly themselves, I have precautionally carved even more mounting aids. cool.gif

yvfhcc.jpg

These mounting aids are then certainly also indispensable during subsequent assembly of so many pipe supports. up040577.gif

Your powers of observation and your ability to build what you are seeing is ... AMAZING! :thumbsup:

I just went back to your 1st page and realized that the MLP may be the easiest subassembly to build ... I had forgotten that you are going to build the Crawler too. :worship::doh:

Something else that interests me is your ability to just ... continue to build ... you don't seem to have lost any interest at all! You have maintained a steady pace and continue to solve problems as they arise and your results are superb!

Plus, your photos are excellent too! :woo:

Thanx Manfred!

Pete

Your powers of observation and your ability to build what you are seeing is ... AMAZING! :thumbsup:

I just went back to your 1st page and realized that the MLP may be the easiest subassembly to build ... I had forgotten that you are going to build the Crawler too. :worship::doh:

Something else that interests me is your ability to just ... continue to build ... you don't seem to have lost any interest at all! You have maintained a steady pace and continue to solve problems as they arise and your results are superb!

Thanx Manfred!

Pete

Well said Pete!

Manfred is just pushing on with this one and even with some of the problems he encountered he just continued on and his efforts are really paying off.

Mike.

Thanx Manfred!

Pete

Thanks Pete for your nice words, your praise pleased me always especially, because it is honest and comes from the heart. :worship:

Maybe it's unbelievable, but it's true and you see that right, my interest is unbroken and the fun of scratch building of all those tricky details will never end. i5684_no2.gif

True to my motto: You can make it if you try, and therefore make it correctly, or leave it. up040577.gif

Well said Pete!

Manfred is just pushing on with this one and even with some of the problems he encountered he just continued on and his efforts are really paying off.

Mike.

Thanks Mike for your compliments too. 377.gif

The effort is really considerable and makes it very time consuming, :woot.gif: but it is worth definitely. up040577.gif

Hello everyone,

initially I still want to show the two 12'' outlets, which now have got their outlet openings and baffles as well as the nipples. :coolio:

VTAbXI.jpg

IQWwUF.jpg

And after that it initially went on with the 9'' transitions (Ø 1,4 mm) of the 24'' ring lines (Ø 4 mm), standing on a tall support pillar.

up052503.jpg

What on the pictures firstly looks really practical and invites for scratching, then pretty shrinks on the 1:1 Sketch again. :rolleyes:

vr4ePw.jpg

After determining of the dimensions of the components began the search for suitable profiles. For the pillar Evergreen rods are suitable with Ø 1 mm (bottom) and 1,4 mm for the upper sleeve, on which a flat 2 mm U-profile sits and on this a small "Sickle". Of the width for the U-profile a corresponding Evergreen channel would be suitable, but is unfortunately too thick for this filigree support and the sides with 1 mm too high. :woot.gif:

That's why I prefered to bite the bullet and have scratched the profile of 0.15 mm Styrene. :whistle: For the sides I have sanded down an Evergreen strip 0.25 mm x 0.5 mm to 0.15 mm and then glued with MEK. :thumbsup:

bMQCZk.jpg

aQsW4t.jpg

And the difference is clearly visible, as one can see here. :coolio:

jLKIBV.jpg

Then bending was indicated again, this time with the 1.4 mm rod,

qfQAEQ.jpg

what agrees very well with the sketch. happy.gif

b2dHZt.jpg

After that I've drilled a hole with 1.4 mm in the front inner corner of the SRB Blast Shields, and made a test that was okay instantly.

oK3XVy.jpg

And that also fits well with the underlying 12'' outlet. speak_cool.gif

AYKnbI.jpg

HVm9Gs.jpg

Now is still missing the support pillar, which I'll make tomorrow. up040577.gif

Hello again,

but initially the 9'' outlet still received a few small details. cool.gif

At the feedpoint of the 24'' ring line is a small thickening to see, for what I have punched a small Styrene disc (0.5 mm) with Ø 1.6mm, which has already been glued, as can be seen in the following figure.

Due to the small diameter of the outlet of 1.4 mm also the diameter of the nipple is correspondingly smaller with only 0.3 mm, shocked.gif for what only a tiny hole were to drill,

sPLnGF.jpg

into which my thinnest rod with Ø 0,3 mm was glued. Next to it is a lead wire with a diameter of 0.3 mm, which I will use for the clamping ring on the other end.

lccVuv.jpg

LmVjfo.jpg

The lead wire I have glued with CA.

PdI0K1.jpg

And so the final outlet looks, from which I still need a second copy. top2.gif

jFoAl9.jpg

And now to the slender support pillar, which stands under this outlet and consists of six parts,

up052503.jpg

which I have already prepared and are all quite tiny,

dFYFZF.jpg

which must be glued together now. :rolleyes:

And I can tell you, the mounting should become a tricky matter due to the minimal contact surfaces. analintruder.gif

2Rt1iz.jpg

Since I glued these things with normal Revell glue for possible corrections, one can not continue, but must wait until hardening. huh.gif

Xu85bp.jpg

And the height of the support I should also check from time to time, since it should not exceed 9 mm in order to fit even under the outlet.

ckFW2t.jpg

And for that reason alone every now and then a break is necessary, like now, why the base plate and the top plate have to wait. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and here is the next update. cool.gif

Since I still wanted to check the total height of the support pillar, I have not initially sanded the tiny rounding in the upper pipe holder, especially since it is anyway only 1 mm x 1 mm "big". huh.gif

The problem with this prototype is, that the height of the components should be exact as possible on the tenth of a millimeter, if in the end should be reached the calculated required total height of 9 mm, so that the support fits under the transition. shocked.gif

Subsequently, the support was positioned on the base plate and glued,

gpO0bj.jpg

and then vertically aligned on all sides vertically.

PlY3Wb.jpg

And so the filigree structure looks, which is very fragile and wherefore the further handling is to enjoy with caution. huh.gif

ACxxgA.jpg

With the optical look of the support I am already very satisfied, although actually still missing these two screwings, analintruder.gif

pV7PZS.jpg

which I wanted to try at least times. In my estimation, one could scratch it by thin rods, which would, however, which would be again in the boundary region of the nipples with Ø 0,3 mm. rolleyes.gif

That would be even doable, although this strip (0.37 mm x 1.5 mm) is slightly wider than the only 1 mm wide plate under the pipe holder,

SUDIAQ.jpg

and through the shadows it could be seen even better in the painted state, questionable would be, however, from what distance ... hmmm.gif

TnnB5D.jpg

But more important is the question whether and how the support would fit at all. :rolleyes:

And to my surprise, it fits already together relatively well,

dPzjqr.jpg

JWPrbq.jpg

xP3bCi.jpg

although the left side of the pipe hangs a bit in the air, as can be seen more clearly in this close-up.

P0vJ1X.jpg

But this should be still compensable if I sand even a tinier rounding in the tiny pipe holder (1 mm x 1 mm) and it plays along. erschrocken3.gif

Although this support was quite tricky, this looks but overall very well. up040577.gif

Hi there,

making of the tiny rounding was not a problem, especially since only a hint of 0.15 mm was necessary. spiegel-smilies-0002.gif

And here is the result,

WyOVOS.jpg

and because the transition now sits a little bit lower, so far everything is okay. top2.gif

gU6fAI.jpg

Therefore, the rounding of the second pipe holder will be made before assembly. up040577.gif

Hello together,

despite the interesting divertissement by the Olympics 00002211.gif the SSWS pipes were continued in the meantime. :coolio:

Today, the second 9'' transition was scratched, which had to be bent again initially.

d3z87A.jpg

3FIJbM.jpg

Although the processes are now already familiar, the difficulty is to make the transitions as identical as possible. rolleyes.gif

1bH9Do.jpg

These are the individual parts up to the two rods for support pillar.

HAtCPd.jpg

After the filigree U-shaped substructure has been scratched, the difficile assembly of the parts followed, which was quite stressful again. gr_hail.gif

iCJHFE.jpg

And so the couple was complete, top2.gif

Dcc7U6.jpg

and could be tested on the MLP.

Although the provisional fastening of the outlets with Pattex is also such a tiresome game of patience and does not long hold out, huh.gif

YB3Rq7.jpg

oZjS7S.jpg

for the imposing overall impression the effort is worth to me, which is why I have brought out the Rainbirds again. cool.gif

0drukb.jpg

ALTNou.jpg

So much for today. up040577.gif

Thanks Manfred and Mike for your nice words of praise, lob4.gif

if that actually is so, it must be succeeded probably pretty well, what gives me the right kick, to bite me through this crazy SSWS pipes till the end. :bandhead2:

Thanks again my friends for all the support! up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

after the outlets in the SRB chambers except for the two 36'' feed pipes and the nine missing pipe supports are done, it is now time for the last two outlets behind and under the TSM's. :coolio:

This initially affects the section behind the rejuvenation of the 24'' ring line to 16'' (Ø 2.5 mm) just before the corner of the TSM beside the SSME chamber to 12'' (Ø 2.0 mm), such as re-measurements have shown.

JufpZD.jpg

On this pipe sitting eight small bent nozzles, which should have a diameter of about 0.5 mm.

reJKGc.jpg

In order to adapt this outlet I initially have bent for simplicity a continuous piece of rod Ø 2.0 mm, ranging from the ring line to the end of the nozzle tube under the TSM, which is sitting on two support angles. This way possibly necessary corrections of position and mounting of the nozzles should be made easier, and only when everything matches this nozzle tube is cut at the last rejuvenation and connected to an intermediate piece with Ø 2,5 mm, which begins at the ring line (Ø 4,0 mm). :thumbsup:

Here this continuous pipe is bent, which begins at the ring line.

4D33lG.jpg

08ZYo3.jpg

zuAyh3.jpg

And this is the first test that looks already times quite good, :coolio:

bVZSjm.jpg

e3WtkQ.jpg

although the tube seems to be a little too close to the TSM corner,

IQ6XW1.jpg

what I'll be watching in more detail once more. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

meanwhile shape and seat of the nozzle pipe have been slightly modified, and for facilitating the tests I have tinkered a little TSM Balsa dummy to avoid unnecessary stress for the final TSM. :coolio:

goEEsu.jpg

And hence to the tricky nozzles that had already made some headache a year ago dealing with the nozzle pipe on the rear wall of the SSME chamber. erschrocken3.gif

up044967.jpg

Because my former manufacturing method of the individual nozzles in retrospect appeared as being too complicated, I have fiddled about another solution that should be less stressful. :thumbsup:

While on the former almost twice as long tube (approx. 32 mm) were arranged six nozzles, on this tube (about 16 mm) under the TSM this time even eight nozzles with Ø 0,5 mm are to be accommodated, resulting in distances of about 1.4 mm. :gr_eek2:

For the marking and drilling I have benefited of a PE template (cmkkits.com) for 0.8 mm rivets, which was very helpful. top2.gif

First I have pre-drilled with Ø 0,3 mm and then after that with Ø 0,5 mm.

paO2z8.jpg

The idea was to insert somewhat longer rods (about 7 mm, Ø 0.5 mm) into the holes, to glue them with EMK and thereafter to bend all together at one time under moderate hot air in the final form, and then to cut. top.gif

nVCXmw.jpg

Therefore, the pipe had to be clamped again in a balsa corset, what has proven itself in similar form already several times. speak_cool.gif

0pbhQ3.jpg