Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

4 hours ago, Mknorr said:

I second what Mike said. I look forward to every single post from you Manfred. 👍

I do fell that by the time you are done building the ultimate launch pad, this thread will be longer than all the other threads combined 😂😂😂😂

Thanks Manfred for your unbroken interest. :worship:

It really seems like it could become an endless story ...  omgsign.gif but hopefully not a boring one.  up040577.gif

Manfred, I'm going crazy just following your build. How are you doing??? I get blown away on the amount of detail you put in the simplest of pieces. I can't imagine doing this on my build, I'm happy to say its complete to what I want it.

Your build however, I'm sure this is a silly question, but is this your only build going on at the moment? Also what are some of the other builds you have completed?

Merry Christmas all

Mick

Thanks Mick for your nice comment,  lob4.gif

I'm glad if you like my crazy work.  up040577.gif

You will not believe it, but this  long-term project is my first Real Space Modeling project. 

Formerly I had built airplanes like A380 or 747 ...  up035091.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

today I would like to present you my Christmas update.  cool.gif

At first, I fixed the crescent-shaped supports for the three missing rear 18" outlets (Ø 3.2 mm) in a tried and tested manner between two steel rulers and glued with MEK, 

BTK1b9.jpg

but then laid aside. happy.gif

iZbq5M.jpg

In the meantime, I had once again looked at the supports of all the outlets on the MLP-2, because they have differently shaped stiffening points, at which I had already pointed out in this summer, Posted June 5.

This image, however, belongs to the MLP-3 and is therefore not relevant to me, rolleyes.gif

up051932.jpg
Source: NASA

because this support at the MLP-2 looks like this and has both at the rear,

wB06ZG.jpg

as well as at the front, three such stiffening corners, as can be seen.

up051929.jpg
Source: NASA Street View

Admittedly, these are all very difficile detail differences, but I'm taking it a bit more precisely, as you know.  top.gif

That is why we remain at this support, which I have so far completed as first and used for the test fitting of the outlets. However, he had so far only the two lower triangles on the front (to the LOX-TSM), and now I have glued also the three triangles on the back. 

n3PigP.jpg

Yetqyh.jpg

t3y9rr.jpg

VgTdpa.jpg

Now only the upper triangle on the front was missing, 

yMeZRH.jpg

which I have attached now, and with which this support would now be complete.  speak_cool.gif

s3Ydu3.jpg

This was followed by the gluing of the filigree frame (0.25 mm x 0.5 mm) for the next support, whereby I initially wanted to go back to my previous gluing and bending technique,

5OimWX.jpg

but which annoyed me as much as the first time, smiley_worship.gif wherefore I have rejected it, because the corners are not bent exactly enough. rolleyes.gif

Therefore, I have considered the following technique, which initially looks somewhat inconvenient, but ultimately provides better results.  

For this purpose I have glued strips 0.5 mm x 0.5 mm under the two undersides of the angle with a little supernatant, between which I have glued matching strips 0.25 mm x 0.5 mm, everything again with MEK, which has worked well for these minimal gluings. top2.gif

65zawd.jpg

qWnl9K.jpg

And after the supernatants had been separated, I had this small but fine roof with beautiful square frame edges. top.gif

nbvT17.jpg

And now I wish you all Merry Christmas. weihnachten.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello my friends,

only a little Christmas shot from my MLP, where now is also Christmas, as one can see on the true to scale sapling (approx. 15 mm), which would range the Rainbirds only up to the upper cartridge belt. top.gif

qTEXTL.jpg 

In this spirit I wish you all furthermore Merry Christmas. smilie_xmas_481.gif

Hello everybody,

I hope you all had Merry Christmas, have no spoiled stomach and are in a good mood. cool.gif

In order to prevent possible withdrawal symptoms, I have continued after a short breather with the still missing supports for the rear 18'' outlets and attached their frames first and then the tiny stiffening corners.  

SsPoC8.jpg

Qj4PtZ.jpg

In the upper row lay the two supports of the outlets behind the LOX-TSM, and below the supports behind the LH2-TSM. After the right support was already finished, now also the last support got his four corners. 

GTkFk1.jpg

03RH7j.jpg

On these images, the different arrangement of the stiffening corners can be compared once again, first at the outlets behind the LOX-TSM, which are identical on the front and back, both in their number and in shape. top.gif

u1NpNY.jpg

While the arrangement of the corners of the outlets behind the LH2-TSM on the rear side is identical with the corners behind the LOX-TSM, 

Z2K1wj.jpg

the upper triangle is missing on the front of the outer support, as can be seen in this picture.  up045518.gif

0ArMIF.jpg

But exceptions famously confirm the rule.  up040577.gif

Then I have glued the crescent-shaped pipe holders. 

Ed5USy.jpg

And this is how the test fitting of the supports looks at the MLP. hi3.gif

n7ibgq.jpg

bEANqG.jpg

Now I can turn to the eight supports for the 12'' outlets, for which I first have to punch the sickles with Ø 2 mm. up040577.gif

Thanks for your nice compliment. :worship:

omgsign.gif  What a thought!!! I have also seen his videos and must say, that DutyCat plays in another league.  top2.gif

He is the undisputed Shuttle Master of all classes, with him I (still) cannot measure myself.  i5684_no2.gif

BTW, my Challenger will be only 1:144. up040577.gif

Hi Kel,

this is no secret, I use from the start my old small Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX 30.  top2.gif

8473.tif&tmp=dk-Slider

The ultra-compact 7.2-megapixel Mini features an optically stabilized 28mm wide-angle lens with a 3.6x optical zoom, has a 2.5-inch LCD and still continues to serve me faithfully.  up040577.gif

Hi everybody,

and now to the announced eight support for the 12'' outlets. cool.gif 

At first the sickles with Ø 2 mm were to punch, which is why I have used again my Punch & Die Set. top2.gif 

In order to obtain the same web widths at least on one side at the lower curve, I have attached a stop with a distance of 1 mm from the stamp,

rhPACv.jpg

which has worked well again.  

Sqa0Al.jpg

After that, the sickles were cut off with the cutter chisel.

kzANt8.jpg

Then I have glued the angles on both sides onto the frame profiles (0.5 mm x 0.5 mm).

1M57JY.jpg

Zm0Nel.jpg

fSqsGu.jpg

and then separated. top.gif

vmyqWS.jpg

So far, so good, but stop! Have you noticed something?  undecided.gif 

Okay, me also not so far. rolleyes.gif But suddenly, when I did count the roofs, I always came only up to seven, although there must be eight supports.  flehan.gif

So my first glance went intuitively on the floor again, but there was nothing to be seen.  shocked.gif 

Oh no, not again, analintruder.gif I thought to myself, and began to look at the table in front of me, which is not so simple, because there lies much too much stuff around. huh.gif

And lo and behold, at the edge of the cutting waste I saw the 8th angle lying next to two other angles, which were however somewhat too narrow, and so I was jolly glad. happy.gif

f3ialh.jpg

All's well that ends well, and so I can go on tomorrow.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

before the clock of the old year expires, I want to quickly report myself with the last pictures of the supports.  cool.gif

Since the procedures are meanwhile well-known, I can make it short and let the pictures for themselves to speak. up046118.gif

tDk7Zp.jpg

cODh5Z.jpg

The glueing of the sickles was again such a tricky business, some had unglued from the strip and were glued tight only in the second run. rolleyes.gif

Sm4eEB.jpg

USUQ6T.jpg

This should have been it for this year. up040577.gif

I wish you all  

Happy-New-Year-2017-GIF-Images-for-Faceb

Cheers!!! 00002527.gif

Hello everybody,
I hope you all had a good start into 2017.best-of-luck03.gif

After the new year is now again two days old already, I want to open the 1st round and show you the last Supports with their tiny stabilization corners. cool.gif

At it an extra calm hand and a lot of patience were asked, which has now become a routine in this area of dimensions. And the headset magnifier and a pointed tweezers were of course also part of the standard tool again. top.gif 

Since for glueing of the corners a stable position of the unwieldy roofs is indispensable, I have reflected about a special jig for today's support finale. JC_idea.gif

For this I have squeezed the angles into a corset of three steel rulers, which I have clamped with small supermagnets (NdFeB) on a sheet metal. This allows to glue the strips without overhang with the 45° slant directly onto the angle and still position it when using a simple Styrene glue. up045518.gif

m6gVjA.jpg

And so one could let yet a few tenths space up to the upper margin, because the stabilization corners do not close directly with the angle edge, as one can see in this image. But later on this will hardly to be seen with the naked eye any more. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

wDB1eR.jpg

And after the same procedure on the back side

mrCtj5.jpg

and trimming off the lower supernatants, the first of the eight supports is already finished and looks well.  speak_cool.gif

ox6j3R.jpg

2aILyF.jpg

But there are also supports with some other stabilization corners, as one can see here at one of the front outlets behind the TSMs. top2.gif

ZHLCzb.jpg

And these corners were made according to the same pattern, first on the front,  cool.gif

766eBj.jpg

and then on the back side.

dj5VC0.jpg

FudgKh.jpg

REw9qb.jpg

And now all eight supports have been finished so far, because now only the sickle holders have to be glued. 

EwdQAk.jpg

In the upper row lie the front supports of the outlets behind the TSMs and below it the middle supports behind the SRB supports. 

And an exception in this image confirms once again the several times stressed rule, but perhaps it won't be even noticeable. top.gif

And so we're back in business. up040577.gif

Happy 2017!

Your jigs are brilliant in their simplicity Manfred! I have often wondered about the type of advanced tools you must be using. Especially when I try cut a .020" piece of styrene with a Chisel blade and instead of a nice 90 degree cut, it's maybe 75 degrees and I need to fill it.

To see your multi ruler jig has opened my eyes a little bit more. I admire your creativity! As well as your skills! ... and your eyesight!  :whistle:

Have you posted your other builds, like the A380, elsewhere on the web? I'd love to see your other builds.

Thanks Pete for your nice compliments, :worship: 

and for you also a Happy New Year!!! JC_doubleup.gif

Yep, a jig does not have to be comfortable and/or complicated, i5684_no2.gif  it just has to work only - and the simpler the better.  top.gif

BTW, for the assembly of such small strips on the angles, the angle must not move or even jump away, eek.gif  as it unfortunately happened to me already several times.  up043952.gif     

And therefore they had to be jailed in a steel corset. Adversity is the school of wisdom ... up040577.gif

omgsign.gif I had almost forgotten it, here you can see my A380 , but unfortunately only in German.

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

so friends, it is so far, now all 12 supports for the front outlets are finished, and I can once again breath deeply, top.gif because I often had to hold my breath during handling the treacherous midgets in the tweezers to glue the gusset plates and fragile sickle holders.analintruder.gif 

Now, here are the six supports behind the LOX-TSM, and on the right the six behind the LH2-TSM

e6HI3H.jpg

The next step was the test fitting of these 12 supports together with all the other supports of the SSWS, i.e. total of 52, which now gives an imposing picture. top2.gif

WDvkyw.jpg

And to round off the picture, I have also added the Rainbirds again.speak_cool.gif

EXclTp.jpg

2CTTCM.jpg

O6joJg.jpg

c3Nc7D.jpg

With the glueing of the supports on the two ring lines, I have to wait however still something, because before the the clamping rings have still to be attached, because afterwards would certainly be a little too stressful. smiley_worship.gif

And these clamping rings want to be produced first, what will be again a tricky fiddling, whereby I want to use this time a different technique, which we had already discussed at some time earlier.   up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

well, then let's go to the Clamping rings, there is no way to avoid it. cool.gif 

After I had read again in my building report from the midyear of 2015, I once again checked the different shapes of the screw connections of all clamping rings on the MLP-2

While the majority of the clamping rings are made up of six bolted ring segments, as shown on the right, there are also some, which consist of only four segments (on the left).  up045518.gif

ksaf69.jpg

In this panorama image one can recognize the differences from a different perspective very well, and as one can see, the screw connections of the four-part clamping rings are somewhat longer than those of the six-part clamping rings. 

yhVjii.jpg

And with the aid of this picture, I had already determined the dimensions of the clamping rings and screw connections in those days, whereby the diameter of the 24" pipe (4 mm) was used as reference. 

up047098.jpg

Since the image of my stock taking at the time seems to me to be somewhat overloaded from today's point of view, rolleyes.gif

up047093.jpg

I have once again shown the number of screw connections of all clamping rings of both ring lines separately. In this case, the red arrows indicate the position of the supports, at which there are no clamping rings.

Here first for the ratios at the ring line behind the LOX-TSM,

FFarJG.jpg

and here at the ring line behind the LH2-TSM

IdyuhG.jpg

As one can see, the type of the clamping rings and the number of their screw connections is not identical on both sides. huh.gif

After checking the dimensions again, I will use Evergreen Strips 0.38 mm x 0.5 mm for the six-part clamping rings and for the screw connections strips 0.25 mm x 0.75 mm, where 0,75 mm corresponds to the length of the screw connections. And for the somewhat longer screw connections of the four-part clamping rings I will probably use strips 0.25 mm x 1 mm. top.gif

The construction of the clamping rings should be carried out accordingly to the lattice technique, which I have considered at the time. 

For this I first marked the distances of the screw connections on the peripheral length of both types, left for the four-part clamping rings and right for the six-part rings.

Thereby the strips 0.25 mm x 0.75 mm (or 0.25 mm x 1 mm) for the screw connections are placed over parallel lying clamping ring strips 0.38 mm × 0.5 mm and glued with MEK, and subsequently separated.  top2.gif

6E6oLb.jpg

So far as the theory, next time prototypes of both types of clamping rings are to follow.  up040577.gif

Hello folks,

before I can start with the small series production, I have tried the first two prototypes of the clamping rings first without using the lattice technique, in order to see whether or how well the lengths and distances resulting from my templates will be okay. cool.gif

For this purpose, the four strips for the screw connections were positioned on the clamping ring strip (0.38 mm x 0.5 mm) and gently glued with MEK on both sides. 

Q7K13H.jpg

The strips then stuck so tightly that they could easily be cut off on both sides. 

192DTp.jpg

The gluing of the clamping ring on the 4 mm rod took place step by step with CA, because MEK is not suitable for this, which I had to observe unfortunately at that time, and I did not want to make the same disastrous mistake again. i5684_no2.gif

BDQQq0.jpg

But only after I finished with this four-part clamping ring, it occurred to me that I had not used the wider strip (0.25 mm x 1 mm) for the screw connections, but the narrower (0.25 mm x 0.75 mm) for the six-part clamping rings. up040472.gif But no matter, I have still noticed it in time. cool.gif

After the same procedure, the six-part clamping ring was built, in which the screwing strips have moved closer together.

Mv0W42.jpg

3Ecadv.jpg

This time, too, everything went smoothly with the gluing of the strips, 

miHjEp.jpg

and here one can see both clamping rings next to each other.  

MKaHde.jpg

And so it looks then at the supports, wherewith I am for the time being quite satisfied. top.gif

2SyuHj.jpg

And if one would now round off the edges of the screw connections, it would look even more pleasant from near, which I have tried here at least once on the right clamping ring. 

hGfbuq.jpg

All other clamping rings I now want to scratch however after the lattice technique, for which I however need appropriate spacer. huh.gif 

That's it for today. up040577.gif