Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello friends,

I've now chosen to glue the LO2 Feedline Brackets, for which I've now also used 1 mm Styrene, so that the strengths of the brackets on both sides are the same. cool.gif 

However, I've only glued the brackets to the Crossbeam, and not to the Feedline, because I still have to glue the rings next to the Feedline supports, as well as the front missing support behind the Intertank, for what I need enough freedom of action. 

Y5Pq0l.jpg

The positioning and gluing of the tiny brackets was quite tricky, but then I've managed it quite well.  top.gif

Ar3oFs.jpg

N7cuqS.jpg

And the Diagonal Cross Strut fits in between quite well too. speak_cool.gif

6yqB3o.jpg

Then I've still glued the Resin-TPS-Claddings to the Vertical Struts, so they will not be lost. huh.gif

pOt89i.jpg

And now it can go on with the LH2 Cable Tray on the crossbeam. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

in order to be able to scratch-build the LH2 Cable Tray as completely as possible, which I'm intending, I first had to clarify its continuous course, which lasted long enough. rolleyes.gif And this course can be subdivided into two parts. top.gif

The first and much longer, but simpler part extends over the entire LH2 Tank, starting behind the Intertank, and then flows into the right Vertical Strut at its top end (see yellow circle). For the moment, however, I will defer this part until later, because it has to go along with the laying of the Ice Frost Ramps of the GH2/GO2 Press. Lines, what will follow later.  

y6fLrb.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DDG40)

In this strut, the cables then run upwards and enter the gray "Distribution box" from behind, 

nBIG8f.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

and from there the cable tray runs on the front side of the Crossbeam to the other side, which I will show in more detail. cool.gif

up068102.jpg
Source: Scott Phillips

And now follows the difficult and time-consuming part of every scratch exercise, in which I always have to determine the required dimensions of the individual parts by using suitable reference photos/drawings. rolleyes.gif

One is spoiled for choice, depending on which reference measure (yellow) one refers, either to parts of the original photos, or to those of the Airfix Kit, which then sometimes can lead to a compromise between the two possibilities, so to speak on something between.  hmmm.gif   

In the following photo, the transition from the "Distribution box" to the following Cable Tray is unfortunately covered, which is why I had to determine it by appropriate cutting lines to be able to estimate its dimensions.  

h78Umw.jpg

The dimensions of the "Distribution box" can indeed be determined well from the next image, but here the transition area to the cable tray is covered, which is why no clear reference dimension can be found. That's why in anticipation of the next photos I used the height of the Cable Tray (2,7 mm) as reference measurement.

yy5Oe5.jpg 

This is the already oftener shown photo by DaveS,

up067914.jpeg

on which one can see in a rotated and greatly enlarged representation of the transition of the LH2 Cable Tray from the vertical strut into the "Distribution box" very clearly, whereby the oblique perspective allows no accurate measurement of the parts. hmmm.gif

1sFpwe.jpg

But there is this photo by George Gassaway

iUeTGl.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

which, in rotated and enlarged view, allows some important estimates due to the almost direct view, as well as the height of the Cable Tray (2,7 mm), previously chosen as a reference measurement, which in turn was determined from the diameter of the Thrust Strut of the Airfix Kit (Ø 3,2mm). speak_cool.gif

DSrDbR.jpg

And so the LH2 Cable Tray arrives on the other side of the Crossbeam, whereby here one also can see well the TPS cladding of the GH2 Press. Line. And from there it is only a short distance to the LH2 Umbilical Plate, into which both the Cable Tray and the Press. Line are inserted from the bottom, wherewith we finally arrived at our destination. top.gif

zlYsD3.jpg  io79ud.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)                                   Source: capcomespace.net

And so now for the practical implementation, wherefor which I have used this drawing from the ET Bible.

Kp9wSi.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

Into this drawing, I have drawn as a reference measurement the distance between the two support points of the Airfix orbiter (32 mm) and then reduced the drawing to 1:144 and also still mirrored. huh.gif

And with this I have now tried to draw a true to scale template for the Cable Tray with the appendage of the "Distribution box" and print out, which I also managed to some extent.   

Kdu7x5.jpg

But what looked just so nice and catchy on the photos yet, shrinks on a scale of 1:144 after the expression again together in such a way, so I had to look twice when cutting out the Cable Tray.  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

nvD95W.jpg

And that's what the part looks like on the Airfix Crossbeam, top2.gif

eXpbiQ.jpg

which I now only need to transfer to 0,5 mm Styrene sheet and carefully to cut it out. smiley215.gif

On the right side of the Cable Tray one has to add this rounding and, if possible, also the 90° bend to the front, which one can see well in the zoom on this photo of the ET-121.

8hqTbp.jpg
Source: NASA

And for completion, all that is still missing is the TPS cladding of the GH2 Press. Line, which will be made later.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

as one can see in this photo, the TPS Cladding of the Vertical Strut is reaching still a bit more upwards, has a few steps there and looks thus a little bit different than the Newware-Resin-Cladding. huh.gif 

1sFpwe.jpg

In order to enable the connection to the Distribution box of the LH2 Cable Tray based on the original, I have tried to recreate these details and have glued tiny particles of the narrowest and thinnest Evergreen strips around the strut,

WbTgvg.jpg

BQRTE1.jpg

what was again a delicate fidding, smiley_worship.gif whereby the transitions still need to be slightly sanded.

5cya5g.jpg

Then I've fixed the paper template of the LH2 Cable Tray with the Distribution box on the Crossbeam again to see whether or how this matches with the clearances, and whether there is still enough space for this box, smiley215.gif

RrPRwD.jpg

which could be about right, as one can see here. speak_cool.gif

o02Wqd.jpg

Then I've transferred this template onto a 0,5 mm Styrene sheet and cut it out piecewise, for which I used my finest Mini-saw (0,1 mm) for the long cuts and for the short cuts my Chisel cutter

JGwPgL.jpg

AqNteg.jpg

And after that long cut, the part has been finally exposed, 

whl3Zv.jpg

Bu5dLI.jpg

and was then finely smoothened at the edges.

KAZfZ3.jpg

The following test fitting of the Cable Tray at the Crossbeam looked quite well,   

OLBrAD.jpg

Q7aA1K.jpg

so that I could turn to the small Distribution box for which I've used an Evergreen square profile 1,5 mm x 2 mm,

RnhN7D.jpg

which, however, was difficult to handle. rolleyes.gif

3qsMtP.jpg

tJiXUi.jpg

A1GxNM.jpg

As the test fitting of the Cable tray with the glued box shows, the seat is quite neat, so that only the sloping bottom side would be something to straighten. 

vcEtV2.jpg

0wsOVs.jpg

Then only the cable connection would have to be attached, after which it could then continue on the other side.  up040577.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

in the meantime, I've attached this Cable connection between the Vertical strut and the Distribution box, for which I've glued two tiny pieces of Evergreen Strip which are barely noticeable. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif 

8nEjtD.jpg

And now to the other end of this Cable Tray in the red circle, which after the arc at the end firstly goes down and then immediately runs rearward in a short 90° arc underneath the Crossbeam

nb2dce.jpg

This course can be followed in the following photos. 

Yb50lh.jpg

zlYsD3.jpg

io79ud.jpg
Source: capcomespace.net

In this drawing, the course of the two Cable trays is simplified depicted, but what is helpful for scratch-building. top.gif

Hbv9Nt.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. I (Lockheed Martin)

Behind the crossbeam follows at the end of the cable tray the angled transition of the parts with TPS Cladding (2, 3, 4, 5) up to the Umbilical Plate under the orbiter, which seems to be difficult to scratch due to the minimal dimensions of the parts, smiley215.gif especially since the clear height between the Cable Tray and the Umbilical Plate is only 3 mm, from what the height of the CT transition to 4 mm results, which should become quite tricky. analintruder.gif

GwcCeH.jpg 

RRdDnu.jpg

Afterwards I've tried the arc of the Cable Tray on the front of the Crossbeam with the help of my Balsa & Bending Technique. huh.gif 

KypHXF.jpg

a0Ook3.jpg

1vvm5h.jpg

0Ehd9O.jpg

During mounting one has to make sure that the Cable Tray is not directly in contact underneath the Crossbeam but sits on a small spacer (0,4 mm) which is already glued here.

lpzGaV.jpg

As the test mounting shows, however, from the arc would leave almost nothing left, which would probably complicate a flush connection. rolleyes.gif

ObOQJI.jpg

Therefore, it will probably be better if the cable tray is first glued to the front with a bit of supernatant, after which a matching strip is glued  in the interspace which then is rounded.  up045518.gif

And this construction I've tested provisionally with tape, 

t8iWVK.jpg

and was surprised that the clear height between the Cable tray (0,6 mm x 1 mm) and the Umbilical plate is actually 3 mm and thus is perfectly in accordance with my previous estimates of the measurements.  speak_cool.gif

qLf2B5.jpg

And this is a first attempt to make the TPS arc (part 2) from a rectangular profile 1,5 mm x 3,2 mm,

YipIqm.jpg

whereby I am looking forward to the result.  up040577.gif

Wow and ... WOW ... your ability to observe the detail and then ... THEN to be able to replicate it in such a tiny scale is ... just ... plain ... remarkable!

And it's not just the general detail but the complicated routing and complex details of, for instance, this cable tray.

I don't even want to think of how you're going to replicate the RSS ... my goodness!  :worship:   :thumbsup:

You're doing a superb job Manfred! ... Carry on!

Pete

Thanks Pete for your nice words and the appreciation of my work, :worship: which is really no walk in the park when scratching such tiny details on this scale, but I still enjoy it. :coolio:

BTW, I also don't want to think about the RSS with its monster structure yet, therefore all in good time, and no worries!!!! top.gif

In this sense, the show must go on and please keep your fingers crossed! JC_doubleup.gif

Hello everybody,

but first I've continued with the LH2 Cable Tray and the associated tiny parts of the transition, which are all in the millimeter range and thus extremely tricky to handle, what only is feasible under the Headset magnifying glass. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

In the process, I carefully approached from all sides using my file set and my finest mini-saw (0,1 mm), whereby one must keep an eye on the required dimensions, which is for this bow 1,5 mm x 1,5 mm, which is why one has to measure again and again. huh.gif

zIhyOE.jpg

NrY6fK.jpg

437CIp.jpg

And since I prefer to work with a little bit of excess, a post-processing is still necessary, which becomes particularly tricky once the part has been sawn off. As a result, an undersize can quickly arise, which is not so good. smiley208.gif

So, choosing the Rectangle profile of 1,5 mm x 3,2 mm was not exactly brilliant and has unnecessarily complicated the whole procedure. smiley_worship.gif

That's why I used a Square profile 1,5 mm x 1,5 mm in the second attempt, which was much "easier" to handle, since the outer dimensions are already fit, and what I could have done better immediately.  up040472.gif 

At first I filed the rounding and then sawed off the length of 1,5 mm.

However, care should be taken during the following processing of this mini-piece,

pKDDtu.jpg

whereby I held it for filing the inner rounding with my Precision file (Ø 1 mm) in a Cross tweezer and at the same time supported it from below with the finger.  speak_cool.gif

7Hz871.jpg

And since the test fitting of the bow on the Cable Tray looked good,

CZyTYm.jpg

I then glued the bow carefully, 

O6fJq1.jpg

and something aligned yet, which resulted in a good fit of the bow. top.gif

McsjOy.jpg

Then I've cut the Middle plate (part 3) out of a Rectangular profile 1,0 mm x 1,5 mm x 2 mm,

NCFdJw.jpg

and glued it onto the bow.

fZAdCs.jpg

And after the successful fitting I was able to catch my breath,  popcorn.gif

0EdyQ5.jpg

because this transition fits quite well and there is still enough space for the oblique transition to the Umbilical plate (parts 4/5). top2.gif

miGGM2.jpg

And with this intermediate result I can be quite happy. up040577.gif

Hello friends,

here's an image with the three ports under the LH2 Umbilical Plate that I have to set my sights on. cool.gif

zlQgdh.jpg

The diameter of the GH2/GO2 Pressurization Lines is 2'', accordingly Ø 0,35 mm at 1:144, and the diameter of the LH2 Recirculation Line is 4'' (Ø 0,7 mm). By comparison, the diameter of the LH2/LO2 Feedlines is 17" (Ø 3 mm).

At the transition of the GH2 Press. Line is still missing the oblique transition (Parts 4/5) to the Umbilical Plate, which one can see in this photo of the ET-118 (STS-115),

MBevT7.jpg

which should follow now. top.gif 

This is a small disc Ø 2 mm x 0,3 mm for Part 5, and the slant for Part 4 is cut of an Evergreen Strip (1 mm x 1,5 mm).

2F9um6.jpg

First of all, I wanted to reinforce and file the slant by side-glued Strips 0,25 mm x 0,7 mm, as the true part widened in a funnel shape towards the top, as one can see on this image, but which would be overkill because of the "size" (see above), smiley_worship.gif which is why I decided not to.

up068443.jpg

But the test fitting looks quite good, I think.

ReFRgB.jpg

When glueing such tiny parts, it depends on a precise fit, which is why you have to position them exactly and unshakeably before, what I have done here this way. 

e7XrwU.jpg

So that the parts do not grow beyond the clear height of the transition (3 mm) due to the bonding, which would happen with normal Revell adhesive, huh.gif I've glued them with MEK , which is why I've used a Teflon film, so that nothing sticks to the cutting mat.

6LkOVz.jpg

And this is the result, 

SaPZtp.jpg

and this slant could now be glued to the Cable Tray bow, which was again a tricky business. rolleyes.gif

t9SjUB.jpg

uSRjR1.jpg

Well, and during the tricky test fitting of this now complete LH2 Cable Tray, the mishap happened to me as the part slipped out of the tweezers and fell to the floor, whereby unfortunately, the painstaking glued slant is broken off ... erschrocken3.gif ... up043952.gif

So that this does not happen again after the repair, I've glued the plate with MEK onto the underside of the Umbilical Plate and centered it in place with a needle. 

ZlUCJw.jpg

And in this position, I then laid on the 'patched' Cable Tray carefully and glued onto the Crossbeam and under the Umbilical Plate.

cMOtbU.jpg

SnUbwp.jpg

PQlgFx.jpg

And so it looks like on the front of the Crossbeam, where I still have to scratch the the connection with the horizontal Cable Tray

qFfymc.jpg

for which I glue first suitable strips in the gap, what from subsequently the lower bow will be sanded.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

sorry, but these images to the scratching the Cable Tray Bow have fallen by the wayside somewhere, so I want to add them, which is done quickly. cool.gif

With these two strips I've filled the gap,

nErCcM.jpg

then the supernatant was cut off with the Cutter chisel

E1meux.jpg

and thereafter the rounding of the bow was gently sanded.

xm4Rot.jpg

And that was it already! top.gif

yTDRoO.jpg

r7WeTP.jpg

And now to the already announced GH2 Press. Line incl. its TPS cladding, which runs under the leading edge of the Crossbeam, what one can see on this photo of the ET-121 (STS-114) especially well in the zoom, top.gif

up068663.jpg

and also here on this photo.

UnpApt.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DDG40)

On the next photo (left) one can see the end of the TPS cladding with the exit of the Press. Line, whose bottom is rounded. Furthermore, one can see that the Cable Tray initially opens into a flat wider distributor, from whose side still a separate Cable Tray branches off into the Vertical strut in which the cables are routed to the ET/SRB Attachment, as one could already see on the LO2 Side on the opened Vertical strut. (s. Posted June 14). top.gif 

On the right image one can see the end of this flat distributor as well as the separate branch in the vertical strut from a different perspective. The only pity is that the slant transition of the Cable Tray to the Umbilical Plate is covered by this cuff. smiley_worship.gif

39vIzT.jpg

mJdMfw.jpg

For those who love detailing, on this matching photo of Scott Phillips one can see this branch-transition with cables laid open. speak_cool.gif

7vwZId.jpg
Source: Scott Phillips

On the following drawing, the arrangement can be seen at this point in cross section. And as one can furthermore see the previously installed Cable Tray is still attached with two holders to the outer LH2 Feedline Bracket,

up068669.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

what is also nice to see in this photo and is still on my To-do list ...up035091.gif

3jnebi.jpg

And now to the TPS cladding of the GH2 Press. Line, for which I've glued an Evergreen Strip (0,25 mm x 1,5 mm) with a Semi-circular profile (0,65 mm x 1,5 mm), Which I've drilled off on both ends for the 2'' Press. Line with Ø 0,4 mm, for which I use a German silver round profile (Ø 0,4 mm).

x6gZsR.jpg

Here, the TPS cladding is already glued under the Crossbeam and the Press. Line was inserted from the LO2 Side by way of trial.

v68gpQ.jpg

And here the previous ET/Orbiter attachment sits on his place and makes a good impression.cool.gif

M4WGhP.jpg

OTKzVm.jpg

Next, I will try to scratch this flat and the front mounts, and then as the crowning end of this side the end of the GH2 Press. Line will be installed. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

let's go on with this crazy Cable Tray stuff, most of the details of this LH2 Umbilical with the corresponding Cable Tray are done, cool.gif but at looking closely, I've still noticed a few inconsistencies. hmmm.gif

But first to those missing details, which are relatively clear, like this lateral branch from the Cable Tray Distributor as well as the following arcuate transition into the Vertical Strut. This lateral branch is relatively easy and quick to lay, as it has the same dimensions (0,6 mm x 1 mm) as the Cable tray running in front of the Crossbeam. top.gif

xVU8oF.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)                                      Quelle: NASA

But then comes with the narrow bow (red circles) into the TPS cladding of the vertical strut the trickier part. Although this is similar to the bow of the cable channel at the transition to the Umbilical plate and was filed again from the solid, for which I've used a Rectangular profile (1 mm x 1,5 mm), but this bow had to be significantly narrower, so the handling was even more difficult this time. smiley_worship.gif

PDyDD8.jpg

To fit into the narrow gap in front of the vertical strut, this bow was allowed to be only 1,5 mm wide, as can be seen here. And so the fumbling when glueing this stub was pretty stressful again ... eek.gif

xsGPaz.jpg

After several test fittings and patiently step-by-step sanding of the part, the mounting did succeed.  up045518.gif

Afterwards I've extended the TPS cladding (Newware) like on the other side at the upper end and finally glued this small upper mount, 

yNn3SS.jpg

2PB2vP.jpg

whereupon I had to take a breather first.  popcorn.gif

And once in the exercise, it went on with the two tiny Cable Tray mounts behind the Crossbeam, which can be seen here. 

3jnebi.jpg

For the parts sitting on the cable channel (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm), which reach to the outer LH2 Feedline Bracket, I had to stick together two Strips 0,25 mm x 0,5 mm  because I currently have no strip 0,5 mm x 0,5 mm in stock. rolleyes.gif

4QqMkQ.jpg

Since these stubs had some overhang, I had to remove it subsequently, which turned out to be an extremely difficult task, as there is hardly enough room left for handling at this bizarre structure and the breakage risk was very high on top of that. omgsign.gif

oZlNWJ.jpg

So only gentle and careful sanding remained as the only solution left huh.gif which then worked reasonably well. Then I glued the lateral holders (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm), the supernatant of which was separated from below with a narrow razor blade,

hwAva7.jpg

LQhjbw.jpg

whereupon everything was still carefully sanded with a narrow self-made grinding stick (500 grit). speak_cool.gif

9JFTOX.jpg

hLuI9N.jpg 

And then it went on with the cover of the Cable Tray Distributor, which was shown in the first picture (left, below the circled branch). For this purpose, the cable channel received lateral strips of an Evergreen strip (0,25 mm x 1 mm) and a cover made of 0,1 mm Styrene, the shape of which I had to modify a bit due to the space available, as one can see here. hmmm.gif

UUer11.jpg

h2tOsc.jpg

sV4kD9.jpg

Sh2MHm.jpg

Finally, the missing claddings were glued at both Vertical Struts

HaV7SI.jpg

si35bM.jpg

whereby next, the mounting of the transition of the GH2 Press. Line will follow. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

okay, then I want to dabble as a pipe bender with the GH2 Press. Line -  The proof is in the pudding. top.gif

Therefore, I have put together the matching pictures once more, on which one can see the course of the line well. 

On the following photo (left) it looked for me at first as if the line behind the pipe joint slightly obliquely go up, which is not true, because the kink goes namely down, as shown in the photo (right) able to see.  up045518.gif

FvkNij.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)                                          Source: NASA

As already mentioned, the pipe should have a diameter of 0,4 mm (2'')

For the first test bending I have used Copper wire (Ø 0,4 mm) because it is bendable nicely and certainly some corrections will be needed until the shape of the line is adjusted, I think. smiley215.gif  

And after a few fittings and slight corrections in narrowest space, the result looked like that, which is nothing to sneeze at, as I think. speak_cool.gif

9y9U9c.jpg

The two drilled holes in the Cable Tray under the Crossbeam, as well as in the Umbilical Plate proved to be advantageous for the mounting of the line, who gave a certain amount of support during threading and correction. top.gif

CITDVu.jpg

mAIsKh.jpg

Hopefully the Nickel silver wire will let bend a bit more exactly. But for now, I'm already very happy with the result so far. up040577.gif

Looking at your steady progress, if you could see me Manfred, I'm smiling from ear to ear in amazement ... in appreciation of your added detail.   :woot.gif:

I do hope you're really enjoying this build ... enjoying all this research and making this enormous effort in replicating the smallest detail ... my, my, my ...... I know, I enjoy seeing every post of yours!  :thumbsup:

Pete

Thanks Pete for looking in on me again, :worship: your response is always balm for my soul, because you honestly mean what you say. top.gif You are holding up the ARC flag!!!  smiley250.gif

As you know, all this research is necessary to get behind these details and are for me half the rent, as the Germans say. up045518.gif

BTW, do you think there are enough details scratched when you look at the first two photos, or would you miss something else? :hmmm:

Okay my friends, here let's go on. :coolio:

So far so good, but now there are on the GH2 Press. Line even these four Fittings, which in my estimation should have a diameter about of 1 mm and a width of 0,5 mm. hmmm.gif

bT4rkF.jpg

And who knows me a little bit, probably suspects that I will try these things at least once. top.gif At that at first I thought of my Lead wire Ø 0,4 mm, which I already used for similar things on the SSWS Pipes. smiley215.gif

For this I wrapped the lead wire around the Copper wire (Ø 0,4 mm) and then separated this spiral with the Cutter chisel.

H29iso.jpg

Then I rounded the rings around the copper wire with the tweezers to close the tiny gaps,

L4qBq2.jpg

which then look like this. cool.gif

Vg3xG9.jpg

The threading of these rings onto the bent line was then a tricky puzzle, but let still carry out. rolleyes.gif The insertion in contrast was rather difficult because the space for the tweezers for handling is very tight and the rings have partially bent up.  smiley_worship.gif

ghipQc.jpg

YV0Co3.jpg

1AEq1h.jpg

68flmM.jpg

But I was not thrilled by this result, however. nono.gif

Then the thought of thin insulating tubing came to me, idea1_2.gif which I have already used successfully for such tiny rings. 

wfw0Ps.jpg

To make as nearly as possible rings with the same width, I put the hose between steel rulers and then separated pieces of 0,5 mm.

MNwb8L.jpg

These rings look a bit more like the real fittings, because their sides are straight, and they were also easier to thread up, 

qLkBMB.jpg

and the result when installed looks in my view also much better than with the Lead wire rings.  speak_cool.gif Maybe the rings could be still a little bit narrower. ??? 

7BuBRU.jpg

ox76iQ.jpg

The only question is again whether the effort is worthwhile, because one can barely see this Press. line on the upright Shuttle stack later anyway, how some other details also not, even though if the master builder would be more satisfied. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
On 9/6/2019 at 3:54 PM, spaceman said:

BTW, do you think there are enough details scratched when you look at the first two photos, or would you miss something else? :hmmm:

You know, when I read this, I thought to myself, I should mention the "P" clip insulators, but no I won't, because that's just not very amusing ...

So what do you choose to build? Those Insulators ... and ... they ... look ... GREAT! The 2nd attempt is much better!  :thumbsup:

Well done Manfred!

Pete

Thanks Pete,  :worship:

yeah, I do not know the exact name of these parts, but we mean the same things. smiley250.gif

But you could have told me that calmly, for tips from an authoritative source I'm always grateful.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

today I have made a few more experiments to make these Fitting rings, wherefore I've fished out again my Punch & Die Set (USM). cool.gif

I first used Styrene (0,5 mm), from which I punched a small disk with Ø 1 mm,

hmrn7u.jpg

which then was drilled out with Ø 0,4 mm

KTBDUH.jpg

mJNXY2.jpg

and then was threaded onto the Nickel silver wire (Ø 0,4 mm)

VmcTLU.jpg

The same procedure I did for comparison with Styrene 0,4 mm, whereto I used a normal Fileback fastener. top.gif

xcRHWC.jpg

This somewhat narrower disc can be seen to the left of the 0,5 mm disc, and above that the rings made of Insulating hose.

B78bC1.jpg

Due to the uniform thickness, the punched rings would certainly look more even, whereas the rings made of Insulating hose are easier to manufacture and better fit the contours of the Cable Tray and the Feedline. As a result, I'll probably stay with the insulating hose variant. up040577.gif