Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello everybody,

here's already a little tast of what's coming up now to me, namely the rest of the LH2 Tank, on which approx. 130 Tape rings are to be glued as an endless spiral (Barber pole). eek.gif

UgzSvi.jpg 

BTW, it means, that a whole roll of 25 m tape will actually go on for this procedure, which is why I had to reorder one roll for the LO2 Tank once more. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,
well then, scaremongering does not apply! andiearbeit.gif

Before the Tape glue orgy eek.gif I've still filled and sanded the small holes at the end of the tank that are not needed. cool.gif

NKmykf.jpg

Urr1vM.jpg

In order to keep a good overview when gluing the Endless Tape spiral, I've put markings on the tank at a distance of 10 mm, what corresponds to approx. 8 rings.  

And then I've started cheerfully and glued by eye the first 9 rings at a distance of approx. 0,5 mm  and then took a breath briefly. huh.gif For fun I've  measured the time for it, which was approx. 12 min., which extrapolated to the LH2 Tank (170 mm) would result in pure winding time without a break of a little more than 3 hours , which of course cannot be done in one go.  smiley_worship.gif Anyway, now I knew what I had been getting myself into ... smiley215.gif

Gnokxv.jpg

So it looked like after 18 rings,  speak_cool.gif

iXQEry.jpg

and this is the result after 35 rings and a winding time of approx. 45 min., which corresponds to a pure winding speed of approx. 1,3 rings/min., like snail's pace! up037692.gif

17uNLq.jpg

Anyway, afterwards I could only look asquint straight ahead,  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif and then I was pretty exhausted, but still satisfied, and sneaked into bed ... schlaflos.gif

With it at least a quarter of the spiral is now done. up040577.gif

Manfred,

This would drive most men to drink!:rofl:  It's definitely worth the extra effort and time you are putting into this.  Extremely well done indeed!:worship:

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Yeah, I was gonna say I don't know of too many modelers who would spend this kinda

effort and time, on taping the ET. But, that's what separates Manfred from the rest. And,

the final results and presentation will speak for itself. "Keep-on taping Mr. M - you won't

be happy if you were to stop, and neither would we."

Thanks Underdog, bow.gif

BTW, for the eyes it is very stressful and tiring to constantly have to focus on maintaining the equal narrow distance, especially since one then inevitably neglects the eyelid movement what makes the eyes heavy, cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif what cannot be good in the long run. :hmmm:

But I won't give up that quickly and will pull it through. s-boese-wand02.gif Take my word for it! up040577.gif

Hello friends of the Rings,

almost with the bell punch 12 file.php?avatar=9546_1448235804.gif I want to show you quickly how far I have got with the Barber Pole Spiral. top.gif

Here are 45 rings glued on, 

oNIb9f.jpg

and then I've gritted my teeth smiley228.gif and pulled through until the half of the tank with a stoically sharp look, yikes.gif

HslgOV.jpg

with which I want to let it go at first. top2.gif

Have a nice day and stay safe my friends. up040577.gif

Manfred,

This may be a silly question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Are you concerned about

running-out of tape on that roll, before you finish taping the ET? Or, having to start a

new roll probably wouldn't be an issue.

8 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Manfred,

This may be a silly question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Are you concerned about

running-out of tape on that roll, before you finish taping the ET? Or, having to start a

new roll probably wouldn't be an issue.

This is no problem, I suspect that this role will not be enough, but then I take the next one. top.gif

BTW, I noticed that the width of the tape varies and is sometimes < 0,75 mm, which means that more tape is consumed than I've estimated. Or maybe there is not 25 m tape on the roll. :hmmm:

What the hell ... up040577.gif

8 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Manfred, 

Keep it going with the rings!  I'm on the edge of my seat!

Mike.

Thanks Mike, bow.gif

yep, half is already done, I'm going to keep on rolling  ... rolleyes.gif

Fasten your seat belt and take care, so that you don't fall down ... up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

now that half of the marathon has already been done, it continues with fresh energy. speak_cool.gif

After another 20 min. of the tedious swaddling, I've allowed myself a sip of Red wine. Cheers! top.gif

1S1G6o.jpg

The next goal is the 75% brand, which I still want to reach today.  up040577.gif

Manfred,

After the ET is taped, are you going to apply the "Flour Technique" and then painting?

You're doing a marvelous job on the ET, it will no doubt be one of the best ones ever

modeled. This project has been an educational endeavor to experience!!!

Thanks  Underdog for staying tuned and your well-meaning compliments. bow.gif

Always nice and slow, and one after the other. top.gif

After the ET is completely taped, I also have to mask all places where various attachments have to be glued in the end, such as the Ice Frost Ramps, PAL Ramps, etc. Only after that I'm able to apply the Flour Technique, followed by priming and final painting by airbrush. up040577.gif