Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello Friends of the Rings,

as I already suspected, the tape roll was with approx. 21 m shorter than expected and therefore a deceptive pack. up043952.gif

After 117 rings this was the abrupt end of the allegedly 25 m roll, whereby with a tank circumference of 182 mm (Ø 58 mm) unfortunately only a length of 21 m results. rolleyes.gif

RsTfJi.jpg

The rest of another role will probably be enough for the rest of the LH2 Tank , but certainly not for the LO2 Tank. smiley215.gif
Hopefully the reordered role will arrive soon. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

it has finally been done!  yahoo.gif 

After a winding time of approx. 40 min. I was finally at the front end of the LH2 Tank, whereby now a 140 ring spiral is glued.  smiley250.gif 

DfVHWM.jpg

These are indeed a few more rings than I had counted on my reference photo of the ET-8, but what the hell, my ET is lastly also an unique just like all other ETs flown ... top.gif

up063961.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

And as one can see, there is even some tape left on the reel, which is not enough for the LO2 Tank, which is why I have to wait now for the subsequent delivery.  rolleyes.gif

Therefore, I can now turn towards the recesses for attachments such as Ice Frost Ramps and PAL Ramps. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
21 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Dang, dude.  You're a beast.  I'm too lazy to wind that tank so precisely.

I'm not sure if Laziness is a major factor, but I am certain you're NOT the only one who

is not willing to, "Tape the ET" - like Manfred has done. "It's what makes Mr. M different

from the rest."

"Every one of us is different in some way, but for those of us who are more different,

we have to put more effort into convincing the less different that we can do the same

things they can, just differently."

Marlee Matlin

On 5/12/2020 at 1:08 AM, spaceman said:

Come on, Bruce, don't make a fuss like that, you just have to want! top2.gif

Where there's a will there's a way. up040577.gif

Yeah...just have to want...like that's enough 😉

You have created a huge problem for anybody who's planning to build this Shuttle from now on (in fact I mean me...)

I really like the level of detail you apply to your model, but I know I'm not going to the lengths you have. Although it's 'simpler' for others because you've done all the research and we 'just' have to copy it (like that's an easy job :rolleyes:). What you did and are going to do to the external tank is, to my knowledge, unique in the modeler's world. I've looked at every respectable build I could find to see how others did it and to see what's possible to get a good end result. But your 'flower method' and now the rings are making it so outstanding, I don't think I can build the thing without at least try to apply the rings too. If I don't, I'm afraid I'll always look at the model, thinking "If I only applied those rings like Manfred did". I know, because when I see another Shuttle builds where the tanks is 'just' painted brownish-orange, I think that it doesn't look as good as with the rings and the flower. That's not to say that they may be great builds, but you've just raised the bar to low earth orbit so to say.

So, you've inadvertenly made our live harder...thanks for that! :clap2::rofl:

Now I'm afraid what you're going to do with all the tiles on the orbiter...very afraid

Edited by mikephilippens

Thank you Mike for your refreshing laudation, default_sunrevolves.gif which honors me very much. lob3.gif

But for heaven's sake don't bury your head in the sand now, but be brave and just try it out.

When I had started, I also thought that I would never be able to scratch such kind of tiny crazy details as I saw in other guys' projects. eek.gif

But they inspired me, and so I tried it out little by little according to the well-known motto Trial and error, because only experience will make you smart, idea1_2.gif even if there have been failures that should not discourage you, never! boese.gif

But for many the effort is probably far too high, yikes.gif but as the saying goes - No sweet without sweat. Skill comes with practice, step by step! top2.gif

And then you will see, little by little, the successes will come along and push you forward. 

BTW, I'm nothing special and also can't go over the water ... top.gif

In this sense, don't chicken out but be brave! up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and with that I've now continued. cool.gif

The starting point was this photo of the ET-121 at the RTF mission STS-114, on which I already had determined the distances of the Ice Frost Ramps for the Airfix LH2 Tank,  

MGFM9t.jpg
Source: NASA

which I've marked as an orientation guide on the LH2 Cable Tray. On this I had provisionally attached 5 of the 14 Ice Ramps R23 (No. 1, 2, 6, 10, 14) as support points, through which I had threaded in the GO2 Press. Line (Ø 0,4 mm). For a more stable hold of this structure I fixed four ramps with tape strips, 

fPKc0z.jpg

and then have marked the position of the remaining ramps one after the other,

SxI6NX.jpg

what was not that easy due to the instability of the strand. top.gif

nd4HzH.jpg

After I had removed the strand and put a ruler on the lower edges of the ramp markings, I was able to compensate  certain differences in position and trace them. rolleyes.gif

na0dQ3.jpg

Then I've cut out the contact areas with the cutter and masked them with tape. 

L83fTk.jpg

Then all that was missing was cutting out and masking of the contact surface for the LH2 PAL Ramp

9BZY4Q.jpg

what's done here. 

LQSKr9.jpg

Then I noticed that I had forgotten the last single Ramp (R25), which is circled in yellow in this image. 

9BzZQV.jpg
Source: NASA

And as it is, this darn thing actually fell out of my hand and onto the floor as a crowning conclusion when trying on, up043952.gif so that I was able to search again on all fours ...

vY2voj.jpg

Luckily, I found the ramp again and was able to cut out and mask its contact area, all's well that ends well! top.gif 

pzuQS1.jpg

Now are still missing the two individual Ramps (R24) for the GH2 Press. Line  that can be seen in this image,

FZymcv.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

which here are threaded onto the Press. Line and can be marked.

KJSPSg.jpg

So much for today. up040577.gif

Manfred,

Your ET looks incredible!

I know how that feels when a part drops onto the floor.  No matter how hard I try to see where it fell I always end up on all fours. :rofl:

Mike.

Thanks Mike, bow.gif

I also like the ET more and more. top.gif

Yeah, so are these damn tiny parts ... Forget it! :rolleyes:

And when I then crawl on the floor like this, my poodle Gino stands next to me and looks at me incredulously, as if he was waiting for me to bark too. 00000016.gif

Fortunately, the Newware kit includes some spare parts for emergencies. up040577.gif

6 hours ago, spaceman said:

Manfred wrote:

And when I then crawl on the floor like this, my poodle Gino stands next to me and looks at me incredulously, as if he was waiting for me to bark too.

Maybe Gino was just trying to help, "dogs are smarter than people give them credit

sometimes." The ET is coming along nicely!

LOL

Thanks Underdog, bow.gif

you are right, Gino is smart and also cool without end,

UL5Oe7.jpg

and maybe he only wants to comfort me if he hears his master swearing with frustration, up043952.gif what he's feeling then ... vot18.gif

Edited by spaceman
2 hours ago, spaceman said:

Thanks Underdog, bow.gif

you are right, Gino is smart and also cool without end,

and maybe he only wants to comfort me if he hears his master swearing with frustration.up043952.gif

Manfred,

Gino is a good looking Dude! Is he German by birth or French? We have two dogs in

our family, Camo and Breezy. Camo is short for Camouflage, because of the way he

looks. Both of them are rescued dogs.

2 hours ago, spaceman said:

Thanks Mike, bow.gif

I fully agree with you,  he's giving us great pleasure. You can tell that you are very fond of animals.  up040577.gif

I love animals!  As you know I have 3 cats and I also feed a cat that lives outside.

Great stuff you got going here, Manfred!  It takes an incredible amount of patience to accomplish this.    And I can almost feel the backache that this kind of work must bring about   : )   Hey, I have a cat who loves scale models -- he delights in knocking them off the table to watch them fly maybe?      

4 hours ago, The Underdog said:

Manfred,

Gino is a good looking Dude! Is he German by birth or French? We have two dogs in

our family, Camo and Breezy. Camo is short for Camouflage, because of the way he

looks. Both of them are rescued dogs.

He was born in Kassel in 2011. up040577.gif

4 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I love animals!  As you know I have 3 cats and I also feed a cat that lives outside.

Then Joe's following post should be a warning for you! up040577.gif

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

Great stuff you got going here, Manfred!  It takes an incredible amount of patience to accomplish this.    And I can almost feel the backache that this kind of work must bring about   : )   Hey, I have a cat who loves scale models -- he delights in knocking them off the table to watch them fly maybe?      

Thanks Joe, bow.gif

your feeling is unfortunately right, my back and eyes are starting to worry me slowly ... smiley_worship.gif

BTW, fortunately, Gino is not interested in my models. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

today also the contact areas for the two R24 Ramps have been cut out and masked.  cool.gif

There they are laying now and waiting for the jump - Woe !!! boese.gif

B1H3j6.jpg

YTZVzM.jpg

And since the additional delivery of the 0,75 mm Tape has arrived, 

XRE56X.jpg

I can now turn to the Barber Pole Spiral on the LO2 Tank, whose rings I counted some time ago whereby I came up to 66 Rings. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

And that's roughly the area in which the 12th Ice Ramp (R20) is located. The subsequent lighter area appears to be a specially applied Closeout which has no Pattern Texture. top.gif

up064281.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

Since everything has been clarified so far as, I can start gluing the Tape spiral tomorrow. up040577.gif

Thanks Kirk for your compassion, bow.gif

but I have to fight with the Tile Monster, which has special pitfalls. yikes.gif

While the tiny parts may stay lying down on the carpet, on the tile floor they jump anywhere, eek.gif which makes me crazy because finding them again is rather difficult, sometimes even impossible ... up043952.gif

Before I started with the LO2Tape spirale, I've once again checked the dimensions of the LH2/LO2 Cable Trays by using some photos and drawings, which are the same in the Newware Kit (0,75 mm x 1 mm), but in reality obviously not, hmmm.gifbut on this tomorrow more. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

starting point of my doubts about the correctness of some details of the otherwise very good kit was the diameter of the GH2/GO2Press. Lines, for which the enclosed Evergreen rods (Ø 0,5 mm) should be used. 

In reality both Press. Lines, however, have a diameter of 2'' (50,8 mm), whence in 1/144 scale a diameter of 0,35 mm results. Now one could be generous and do without the few tenths of a millimeter, but if, like me, you scale other parts on the basis of this reference dimension, this makes it noticeable already, especially since the proportions of such small parts should be consistent. rolleyes.gif

That was also the reason why the enclosed Rectangular strip (0,75 mm x 1 mm) for the LH2/LO2 Cable Trays seemed a bit too big for me at first.hmmm.gif

Then I've remembered (ICD Drawings) on the website of George Gassaway, which includes also drawings of various Ice/Frost Ramps from the early LWT Era both on the LH2 Tank and on the LO2 Tank included. speak_cool.gif

On this drawing of an Ice ramp on the LH2 Tank I determined the Cable Tray dimensions based on the existing dimensions, which with 0,7 mm x 0,9 mm actually correspond to those of the Newware Kit's Cable Tray. top.gif

ycDmGw.jpg

So far so good! 

According to this drawing of an Ice ramp on the LO2 Tank the local Cable Tray should be a bit smaller, namely 0,5 mm x 0,75 mm, which initially surprised me. huh.gif

5YzQcK.jpg

That's why I wanted to know whether the Cable Trays on the ET-8 actually have different dimensions and check them. smiley215.gif

To do this, I first determined the width of the LH2 Cable Tray on my ET-8 reference photo at high magnification, for which I used as reference measure the diameter of the GH2 Press. Line (Ø 0,35 mm), which is 1,0 mm

dU5UfR.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (woods170)

From the same photo I've determined the width of the LO2 Cable Tray, which is actually smaller and with 0,7 mm corresponds to the width from the drawing. 

RfYaJa.jpg

Accordingly, I will use an Evergreen strip (0,5 mm x 0,75 mm)  for the local Cable Tray.  

Afterwards I've turned to the Tape spiral on the LO2 Tank.  

First I've marked the end point of the spiral with the help of this drawing from the Newware Kit,  

eE7wQu.jpg

which, as already said, should lay near by the front 12th Ice Ramp (R20), up045518.gif

0j5urr.jpg

where the spiral should end. 

ZZA081.jpg

KREi8A.jpg

At this marking I've glued an end ring, so to speak as a finish line!!! Zielflagge.gif

MEugoY.jpg

And then I've put on my headset magnifier and have flung myself with desperate courage into the Barber Pole Action again. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Here is the spiral after 10 rings

hixWGa.jpg

after 20 rings

g8Vdzv.jpg

after 40 rings

2LOJay.jpg

as well as after 50 rings.

pOWzKt.jpg

And here the goal is reached and I could finally stop. hurrah.gif 

cGT8FQ.jpg

nl6YPy.jpg

Here I have threaded the first of the 12 Ice Ramps (R20)

vG8HUS.jpg

pO8JZa.jpg

Ts4nwf.jpg

whose position I will mark next and then mask them. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman