Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Thanks Underdog, bow.gif

now nothing must not go wrong with the Flour Applicaion, so keep your fingers crossed! JC_doubleup.gif

I just have still to think about how best to do this, whether I spray the two tank parts individually with spray adhesive and then powder them with flour, or whether I completely glue the tank together and mask the Intertank ... smiley215.gif

Somehow I have to hold the part/parts, both while the spray adhesive is being applied and during the subsequent flouring. hmmm.gif

What do the experts think about it? :hmmm:

Hello everybody

meanwhile I have decided not to flour the two ET Tanks separately, but to glue them together with the Intertank beforehand, which should make handling easier. cool.gif

EbRdDO.jpg

And for the Flour application I have in mind a horizontal mount similar to the Test rotisserie, einfall.gif for this I'm going to insert the aluminum rod that was already in use through the front Nose Cone opening, which reaches to the Aft Dome. This rod then is clamped in a side holder so that I can turn the tank around its axis during spray gluing and flouring, whereby I will first flour the LH2 Tank, and then the LO2 Tank.  up045518.gif

nzygok.jpg

Before gluing of the three ET parts, I had to mark the exact position of the 12 Ice Ramps (R20) on the LO2 Tank in order to be able to cut out and mask their contact sites, taking the exact alignment of the GO2 Press. Line up to the Nose Cone had to pay attention, which was not so easy to do. smiley_worship.gif

CLi45I.jpg

Afterwards I've marked the position of the Ice Ramps with the help of the Newware template,

RiFmOk.jpg

and then were cut them out.

YJ9CMZ.jpg

Then I had noticed for a longer time that the Newware Ice Ramps are rectangular (3 mm x 3,7 mm), and not square like the original Ramps. rolleyes.gif These have the dimensions 1,5' x 1,5', which corresponds to 3 mm x 3 mm in 1/144 scale, which is why I will adjust the ramps accordingly, what has already happened with the front ramp. top.gif

ncCQoc.jpg

Then I've yet masked the contact areas and the front part of the LO2 PAL Ramp

jqK2no.jpg

Thereby however, I had not considered that the PAL Ramp is right next to the Cable Tray (0,5 mm x 0,75 mm) and therefore has to be a little wider, huh.gif which I've  corrected after I had put on the channel for better orientation.   

0QVj8M.jpg

That's it again for the moment. Thanks for watching and have a great Sunday.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

so friends, now it's getting serious slowly, because the final Flour application is getting closer. yikes.gif

After I had unrigged the entire ET and freed it from all lines, I've first glued together the Intertank with the LO2 Tank,  

v0vd3j.jpg

and then also have glued the IT together with the LH2 Tank and removed the SRB Support bar.

Then there were some smaller places on the LH2 Tank, like the openings for the two Vertical Struts of the ET/Orbiter Aft Attachments and the LH2 Feedline, as well as for the ET/SRB Aft Attach Struts, which is done meanwhile.

After that there were left only the lower parts of the LO2 Feedline Supports, which I've  taped with 1 mm tape so that I didn't have to clean them from the glued flour in order to have uniform contact surfaces for gluing the Feedline. cool.gif 

de0R0d.jpg

Then I still have taped the Manhole Covers

jCscAO.jpg

and the openings for the LH2 Recirculation Line and the Diagonal Strut were closed with toothpick tips. smiley228.gif

BKjncD.jpg

Since I will first flour the LH2 Tank, I then have completely taped the Intertank and the LO2 Tank,

k1tQUl.jpg

in order to be able to easily turn the ET when spray gluing and flouring. I will try out the holding device for the Aluminum rod tomorrow and then present it.  up045518.gif

Sw2Sh2.jpg

Well, and these are one by one the necessary utensils for the upcoming Flour Action, the UHU Spray adhesive, the Rice flour, of which I've bought a new pack to be on the safe side huh.gif and a new can of Vallejo Primer (white). top.gif

TbNt5Z.jpg

Next I will think on and test the Holding jig, and then I only have to overcome the inhibition threshold for the Final countdown, of which I'm scared a little bit because nothing must go wrong. eek.gif

And therefore please keep all your fingers crossed, dear friends.  JC_doubleup.gif

Hello everybody,

and now to my new jig for the Flour coating of the completely glued ET, which inevitably had to look different than in my first test serieses, when I could horizontally insert the Holding rod with the dummy and let easily rotate around its axis both during the Spray gluing as well as during the Flour coating. cool.gif

up067846.jpg

For holding the skewered ET I have now chosen this modified arrangement, in which the holding rod is plugged into an upright standing cardboard. 

z5sBaC.jpg

Since the aluminum rod has sagged too much when the ET was racked, I had to replace it by a more stable Bamboo rod

l3ajGM.jpg

This gives the ET a better grip, 

jGWtN4.jpg

whereby it can be easily turned with the left hand when spray gluing and flour coating. smiley250.gif

LAeUHV.jpg

With this the first part of the ET's Flour coating should work well, I hope so.  top.gif

After priming then the second part can follow, for what the masking on the LO2 Tank is removed, after which the LH2 Tank can be floured and primed. up040577.gif

3 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

I discovered spray welding this week.
This looks a very similar method.
Can't wait to see the completed model

Thanks Pete, bow.gif

but this method my ET would not survive ... eek.gif

Better not! up040577.gif

2 hours ago, mikephilippens said:

You know how to build up the suspense...Manfred Hitchcock :coolio:

Thanks Mike, bow.gif

I still want to entertain you, guys, that's why the show must go on ... up040577.gif

Therefore stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed. JC_doubleup.gif

Hello everybody,

in view of the occasion, here is a little side leap to the meanwhile almost unrecognizable Launch Pad 39A, on which in the meantime Elon Musk with his company SpaceX is at home and had planned a historic thunderbolt yesterday. yikes.gif

599px-SpaceX_Demo-2_Rollout_%28NHQ202005
Source: wikipedia.org

Certainly, many of you, like me, waited eagerly for the start of the SpaceX Demonstration Mission 2 (SpX-DM2) last night, but due to the unfavorable weather conditions it had to be canceled and rescheduled to Saturday. rolleyes.gif

Here is an image of the crew, Douglas Hurley (left) und Robert Behnken.

797px-SpaceX_DM-2_Crew_Poster.jpg

Matching to this here is an image of my friend Scott Phillips with the DM-2 Commander Douglas Hurley with one of his legendary Hardwood Shuttle Tribute Models after the last Shuttle Mission STS-135, in which Doug Hurley participated as a pilot of the Atlantis. In the image on the right is Michael D. Leinbach, the then Shuttle Launch Director of NASA, including STS-135.  smiley250.gif

Jx9q48.jpg
Source: Scott Phillips

So far, Scott "Shuttleman" Phillips has created more than 450 such one-of-a-kind handcrafted wooden shuttle models from a wide variety of wood types to reflect and honor the execellence and legacy of the Shuttle Program, and had let many of them signed by the shuttle crews at the time, of which he is very proud. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
51 minutes ago, spaceman said:

Hello everybody,

in view of the occasion, here is a little side leap to the meanwhile almost unrecognizable Launch Pad 39A, on which in the meantime Elon Musk with his company SpaceX is at home and had planned a historic thunderbolt yesterday. yikes.gif

599px-SpaceX_Demo-2_Rollout_%28NHQ202005

Certainly, many of you, like me, waited eagerly for the start of the SpaceX Demonstration Mission 2 (SpX-DM2) last night, but due to the unfavorable weather conditions it had to be canceled and rescheduled to Saturday. rolleyes.gif

Here is an image of the crew, Douglas Hurley (left) und Robert Behnken.

797px-SpaceX_DM-2_Crew_Poster.jpg

Matching to this here is an image of my friend Scott Phillips with the DM-2 Commander Douglas Hurley with one of his legendary Hardwood Shuttle Tribute Models after the last Shuttle Mission STS-135, in which Doug Hurley participated as a pilot of the Atlantis. smiley250.gif

101120187_10158520360209171_780734338261
Source: Scott Phillips

So far, Scott "Shuttleman" Phillips has created more than 450 such one-of-a-kind models from a wide variety of wood types to reflect and honor the execellence and legacy of the Shuttle Program, and had let many of them signed by the shuttle crews at the time, of which he is very proud. up040577.gif

Th eright stuff but they are no Bob and Mike.
I got up early to watch the launch. Maybe I should have stayed in bed and it would have gone off.

Hello friends,

now it was finally time and I was able to position the ET in the flour chamber for his countdown. top.gif The spray adhesive I had previously placed  in a warm water bath and then shaken it vigorously again so that it can be sprayed easily. 

kP0p4H.jpg

Then once again a short test grip with rubber glove and next door a few test sprays on a cardboard that were okay and gave green light. cool.gif

d7mQRp.jpg

Afterwards, the LH2 Tank was sprayed under repeated turns and at the Aft Dome and then a photo was quickly taken. smiley192.gif

aXtW02.jpg

And then the flour dusting came in ... 

3ukH0a.jpg

and it was generously applied all around with the sieve and lightly pressed down with the finger,  up045518.gif

mffbjX.jpg

while the ET was turned several times. 

kChnLG.jpg

ip5hGw.jpg

Then it was enough with the flour dusting and the excess flour could be shaken off by tapping lightly. 

cxVmuH.jpg

xcAxfA.jpg

LJ6gDj.jpg

Then I went into my office and was able to have a close look at the preliminary result, which looks pretty nice so far. speak_cool.gif 

Now everything should dry properly before the remaining flour can be brushed off.

zy7hhR.jpg

And then the flour layer can be fixed with a first primer coat. 

AF0GBM.jpg

Let's see what the result looks like after brushing. up040577.gif

Thanks Mike and Joe, lob3.gif and keep cool and curious. 

And now, based on the hit by Silver Convention - Fly, Robin, Fly (1975) ... up035091.gif

Dry, ET, Dry!  up040577.gif

Hello everybody on Whit Monday,

after the spray adhesive has certainly dried, I've picked up the soft long-haired brush and carefully brushed off the excess flour. This was followed by a gentle Peeling with a pointed tweezer, with which small lints were removed. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

And this is how the LH2 Tank now looks after the Flour coating. top.gif

dSiHSY.jpg

wlPdAI.jpg

8VaSET.jpg

Here is a cut-out at higher magnification. spiegel-smilies-0002.gif

aZT5E1.jpg

Z0dObX.jpg

JxSLgd.jpg

I'm very satisfied with this result, so that the priming can follow now.  up040577.gif