Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

2 hours ago, freshnewstart said:

If those printed motors will be just as nice, like your "showoff" in fiddling..

It will be quite a sight in the together model..

What a teaser you present here 😁😊

I completely agree with you ... 100%  :cheers:

Such a "tease"! ... indeed!

:rofl:

Crackerjazz and spaceman ... keep up this unique and Wonderful build!

Pete

Thanks Jesper and Pete for your funny response, :worship:

it's nice when you like it and when you're excited to see how the show will go on ... :nanner:

I always want to entertain you a little with my sometimes crazy fiddling too ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

while I was agonizing over this tiny motor, my ARC friend (crackerjazz) was busy modeling and has sent new progress shots with more details, which look great. up039822.gif 

As one can see, he even got right the Toggle fastener on the Flaps over the service openings,b033.gif although some details, like this one, may need to be simplified or enlarged in order to be printed. rolleyes.gif

img%5D

These images all show the left Propel motor in different perspectives. 

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

This also includes a right motor, since they are always arranged in pairs, as has already been seen several times. 

04pd1040-m.jpgQx0mSA.jpg
Source: NASA

And this right motor is now also modeled, so the set is complete. Heart, what more do you want! default_give_heart.gif

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

I have already thanked the creator warmly for this,  bow.gif who has really done a great job so far.  goodjob.gif

However, I've noticed a little detail that I've told him with the request for correction. 

And that concerns the two brake shoes, which have the same thickness in the present model, but of which the larger brake shoe is actually only half as thick as the smaller one, as one can see in these 3D PDF images and also in the original photo. The multiple layers in the paper kit always correspond to a paper thickness of approx. 0,1 mm. 

nR9n2n.jpg
Source: Micro Artwork, Mischa Klement (cyana)

orpGTS.jpg

Therefore the Brake disc should only be approx. 0,2 mm, for which as a matter of prudence he has chosen 0,3 mm in his 3D model, as this is according to the Shapeways-Design Guidelines is the minimum wall thickness for a supported wall, which is connected at least on two sides of the wall, while an unsupported wall (minimum 0,6 mm!) is connected only on one side of the wall, which is why some parts, whose thickness in the model previously only corresponds to the paper thickness, still have to be modified. rolleyes.gif

Fortunately, the brake disc is connected on three places, namely with the drive shaft and with the two Brake shoe holders, which is why a thickness of 0,3 mm should be permissible in my opinion. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

in the meantime, my Ghostdesigner has also taken into account twice the thickness of the smaller brake shoes in his 3D model, wherewith the picture always more is rounding off itself. cool.gif

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

And this is a look ahead to the later Propel Motor Set, which Shapeways could then print once the adjustments have been made. In addition, the connecting webs between the motor rows have to be modeled before the complete set can be uploaded to SW. huh.gif

img%5D

img%5D

In these theoretical Sets of 16 motors the adjustment/enlargement of the details is not yet taken into account, but this will happen soon. In addition, in the final set, at least 2 reserve motors should be provided in order to have a backup.  up045518.gif 

Next I will turn to the Gear cases, of which, logically, 16 pieces are also required, which also is craving for 3D printing. yikes.gif

WTKpPV.jpg

After all, the motor power has to come onto the Crawler chains and from there onto the Crawlerway.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and how this was technically realized at the time on behalf of NASA is indeed an exciting thing that interested me in advance, as always.  cool.gif

The mere idea that the drive of these huge caterpillar tractors should be done by these comparatively measly Propel motors seemed a mystery to me at first, :hmmm: but what has now become clear to me. :thumbsup:

Thereto here is a worthwhile look into the opened gear housing on the multi-stage gear consisting of 10 gears and 5 shafts after the dismantling of the front gear unit with the huge Drive Sprocket, on which the extension drive shaft of the dismantled Propel motor can be seen.

HQDEWP.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (JayP)

On its end sits a Propel pinion that engages in the dome-shaped attachment in a vertical Bevel gear, which can be seen very nicely on this overview drawing, up039822.gif

66Xxqg.png
Source: NASA Technical Reports Server ( NTRS)

just like in this impressive 3D model by a crawler expert from the NSF Forum (JayP). :thumbsup:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2591.0;a

As was already be seen, this gear housing looks like this in the assembly instructions for Mischa Klement's Paper Kit

WTKpPV.jpg

In his Truck 3D PDF, after long and stressful trials of the Acrobat Reader measurement tool, I have now succeeded in determining several measurement results at the same time and in the picture instead of a single measurement to hold on. :whistle:

XKlWPn.jpg

And these are the individual parts of the gear case printed out from the Outlines PDFs

RV2Rem.jpg

which I then glued back onto thin Evergreen Sheet Styrene (0,3 mm).

tzOZVs.jpg

And from these puzzle pieces I will now try to scratch the gearbox housing. Let's see if and how well I can manage that. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

I'm glad you're doing this deep dive into how this works. I must admit that when you referred to the Propel Motor, I assumed it drove something else, like the Coffee Maker ... but this... WOW ... this is GREAT!

And really, I should have expected to see this kind of gearing ... but it's still wonderful to see!

... and now you're going to build the Gear Housing too? oh dear ... I'm gonna need more popcorn!  :popcorn::popcorn:

Pete

Thanks Pete, :worship:

and I'm glad that you are also interested in this technique like me. :clap2:

Here one can find more technical details about this superlative vehicle. :thumbsup:

Hello everybody,

before I try scratch-building the Gear case, I would like to briefly come back to the Propel motors and show an interesting video sequence in which one can see the relatively slow running engines,  up039822.gif

pIBm50.jpg
Source: NASA's Kennedy Space Center

whereby I estimate that they run at a rotational speed of approx. 60 rpm. up040577.gif

BTW, this video is so interesting that it should be watched in full length. :nanner:

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

next I've punched out the basic body of the gear case (Part 1) with my wide Chisel cutter (Martor) from the Styrene Sheet (0,3 mm), whereby I have already noticed how stable this part is, so that folding and bending of the individual sides as in Paper construction is eliminated a priori. rolleyes.gif

bVydqL.jpg

That's why I first separated all parts from each other. But since these parts would lead to incorrect dimensions of the gear case when glued together due to their thickness, I had to realize that this variant would not be effective, which is why I've rescheduled. cool.gif

nOod2U.jpg

Since I also have Styrene Sheet (0,15 mm), which corresponds to the normal paper thickness of the paper kit, I came up with the idea, idea1_2.gifto cut out the part after transferring the outlines and to try to fold it like in paper construction and glue it to the edges.  up046933.gif  

First I tried to fold a small piece like an angle by holding it under a steel ruler and bending it up with the chisel cutter, which I succeeded in doing. smiley228.gif:thumbsup:

To transfer the contours, I've then pierced all the corner points of the template with a thin needle (0,3 mm), 

D81SF2.jpg

what will probably hardly be seen, undecided.gif

VSIf6K.jpg

which I've then connected with a pencil, which in turn was balm for the eyes. shocked.gif

WLqVOp.jpg

Then I've cut out the part with a fine scissors and slightly reworked the edges using the laid on template. 

muL30Y.jpg

ckwFcL.jpg

Then I folded the part edge by edge under the steel ruler. 

wzxVMf.jpg

Since gluing the edges edge to edge seemed too risky to me, I've glued in small Evergreen sticks (1,5 x 1,5 mm) inside as adhesive edges and for stabilization. 

Uwwgcl.jpg

6F0im5.jpg

PiVWvV.jpg

As a result, gluing the base body was no longer rocket science. up039822.gif

QyMkIO.jpg

Then I've glued on the Base plate (Part 35) made of 0,3 mm sheet, on which the dome-shaped attachment for holding the Propel motor shaft will sit. 

347l7K.jpg

And my ARC friend Joe has already started with the gear case and delivered a first image of his 3D model, which looks great. 286.gif

G5YDsW.jpg
Source: ARC Forums (crackerjazz)

And next I'll try my hand at this semicircular casing.  up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

sorry, but because of the many sporting events (Soccer U21 European championship, Ice hockey World championship, Tennis, etc.) :nanner: I was a bit distracted, but in between it goes on with the Gear case now. cool.gif

After the basic body was so far finished, I've started with the smaller dome-shaped attachment, through which the rear end of the Propel motor shaft extends into the gear, what has been already shown in this image. 

HQDEWP.jpg

And with that away from the original and down to the model level 1/160, and I can only say what's coming next is small, but oh my!!! :thumbsup:

First I've transferred the paper template from the Outlines PDF onto Styrene (0,15 mm) and partially cut it out or carefully punched out with the chisel cutter. huh.gif

QOUDAf.jpg

EyXZ8j.jpg

Then I've folded the dome, so far, so good. cool.gif Since direct gluing of this part should be almost hopeless, I thought about a solution with internal support struts. :hmmm:

9wynKx.jpg

To stabilize the small case, I've first glued in a base plate (1 x 4 mm), which requires a firm stop so that nothing can slip. rolleyes.gif 

FztPJw.jpg

C7rlJ3.jpg

With the help of the supports glued in on the inside, I was able to glue the pre-curved arch, whereby the strip had to be fixed at the lower end until the glue set. :thumbsup:

CKWM58.jpg

Even if this procedure may seem a bit laborious at first glance, it was successful and definitely gave me courage, especially since the test fitting on the gearbox looked quite acceptable.  up039822.gif  

wJTV69.jpg

Then the side walls were glued on,

yLdhWp.jpg

whereby the gear case took on more and more shape. :whistle:

N6YjpK.jpg

From now on it will get smaller and smaller, and in the end there will even be midgets < 1 mm, although I still don't know, how to handle it when gluing into place ... up046885.gif

As one can see in this image, there are a number of details on the outer side of the case in the form of attached discs, rings and wedge-shaped struts, which I'm scratching one after the other, first the ones in the red border (Parts 36-40). 

z0tSPA.jpg

There are these three discs there with different diameters (Ø 3,4 mm, 2,0 mm, 1,5 mm) which I've punched out of styrene of different thicknesses by using my Punch & Die Set

lqudT9.jpg

Then I've glued them onto each other,  

HVjKEA.jpg

and glued them at the side wall of the dome.

I still have problems with these Rings (Parts 20), whose inner diameter (Ø 2,5 mm) I can punch out, while I still have to rework the outer diameter (Ø 3,4 mm) a little bit. rolleyes.gif

1b1Asq.jpg

And on the other side of the case there are the details circled in green, (Parts 41-45), whereby I've first puzzled over awhile how to build and glue this flat, curved cover (1 x 5 mm), :hmmm: until I came up with a solution. 

viPQet.jpg

And that will be the next step. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

for gluing of the 3 parts for the arched cladding I've cut out small supports again, for the middle a flat profile (0,75 x 1 mm), and for the two ends a Triangular profile (1 x 1 mm) so that the pre-curved strip cannot be pressed in when gluing. huh.gif

YsiwOx.jpg

Then I've first glued the two side parts with the supports, fixed by a magnet stop, 

lcbQm8.jpg

and then have glued this structure to the curved strip, with a little overhang on both sides so that the ends could be cut off exactly after the adhesive had set. up035091.gif:whistle:

KNO5A7.jpg

In the image on the left the small disc (Part 43, Ø 1,5 mm) could just be seen yet, which together with the 3 wedges (Parts 45) must be glued to the side wall of the dome, which suddenly had been disappeared, never to be seen again, up043952.gif wherefore I had to punch them out once again. rolleyes.gif

But after I had prepared the drop of glue, this disc was gone too - I thought I was going to lose control! shrug.gif

And suddenly I happened to see the disc hanging under my little finger, as if there were evil forces at work! shocked.gif

Lsicgs.jpg

After I had digested the renewed horror and had blown off my steam again, I've cut off the protruding parts of the glued cladding with the cutter, 

ephhmd.jpg

and have glued it together with the small disc on the side wall. cool.gif

rYQ0DS.jpg

And with that now to the green circled 3 wedges (Parts 45)

FIKAkX.jpg

for which I've cut a narrow sheet strip (0,15 mm)

GQF300.jpg

which I've cut diagonally in half with the chisel cutter at a distance of 2 mm, which resulted in these mini wedges. smiley228.gif:thumbsup:

NQljyi.jpg

Now I just had to somehow glue these snippets onto the side wall, just wondering how, since even taking them up in the pointed tweezers is extremely problematic and stressful. hmmm.gif

To be able to grab them at all, they have to stand upright, which is why I wedged them between two steel rulers. Actually, however, they have to be clamped in exactly the other way around so that they can be attached with the wide side onto the disc, which of course did not work right away. rolleyes.gif

S7leK1.jpg

Finally I've put it on my fingertip, carefully gripped it with the tweezers, picked up a touch of glue and then carefully glued it on the side wall. analintruder.gif

GjMjBo.jpg

After this was finally done, :whistle: up035091.gifit can now continue on the other side of the case, on which similarly cute details await me, whereby the red circled 5 mini struts (Parts 40) on this dome side with 0,3 x 1,5 mm are even tinier! omgsign.gif:gr_hail: 

8Qx9pK.jpg

Now I'm stretched like grandma's garter belts whether I can somehow get hold of them in order to be able to glue them ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

here is a look at the measurement of the Mini-Struts (Parts 40) circled in red in the last post, wherewith I've been dealing now. cool.gif   

MGVIQC.jpg

And as one can see, these tiny pieces (0,3 x 1,3 mm) would hardly be able to be handled safely, let alone glued, even with my sharpest tweezers. huh.gif

r7Djim.jpg

That's why I've remembered my Strip technique, I used at the time (2016) for the SSWS Inlet pipes in the corners of the SRB Chambers,, I used at the time (2016) for the SSWS Inlet pipes in the corners of the SRB Chambers, long long ago ... hmmm.gif

up053198.jpg

The trick with this solution is that one at first cuts longer strips than necessary, with the appropriate width (0,3 mm), which so are much easier to grasp and glue. up039822.gif

fByW7m.jpg

After the adhesive had hardened, I've carefully shortened these strips to their final length of 1,3 mm with the razor blade, and have also beveled them from the outside to the inside, what I've actually succeeded in doing. up045518.gif

Bq4rTI.jpg

And  in the same way I've proceeded on the front of the Dome attachment, on which there are the details circled in blue (Parts 29-32), for which I would have to move further down my previous handling limit, huh.gif

z0tSPA.jpg

since the dimensions of the two outer Mini struts (Parts 32) with 0,3 x 0,5 mm are clearly < 1 mm. shocked.gif

757mXJ.jpg

Then there is also this Ring (Part 31) there, into which the drive shaft of the motor (Ø 0,8 mm) ends, whose dimensions with Øo 1,3 mm and Øi 1,0 mm, as well as a height of only 0,3 mm was a bit of a headache at first. :hmmm:

But I've also found a solution for this, because I've thought of the thin Shrink tubing that I had initially tested for the small lamps on the Crawler truck sides

For this purpose, I made a first shrink attempt on the Punch (Ø 1,2 mm) with a tube (Ø 2,0 mm) which has shrunken under the heat gun to Øo 1,6 mm, which was still a bit too large for me. rolleyes.gif

0VPAhn.jpg

In the next test I've used the punch with Ø 1,0 mm, with whose shrinking result (Øo 1,3 mm) I was completely satisfied then, :thumbsup:

LLRfZd.jpg

because the shaft of the Propel motor fits perfectly into the ring and also still has some clearance.  up039822.gif

hD1efq.jpg

Using this tube I've cut a Ring (0,3 mm)

wIs4zK.jpg

and have glued it together with the Disc (Ø 2,5 x 0,5 mm) to the front side of the dome. Then the surrounding struts were glued, wherewith also the front side is completed now. :whistle:

cPJgeW.jpg

5n1sSo.jpg

Xjx4nQ.jpg

Before that I had also still glued this Mini disc (Ø 0,6 mm x 0,2 mm) to the dome. 

mYcg52.jpg

YfKCv1.jpg

Now the orange marked front part of the Gear case is still missing, 

y7YnwS.jpg

which is next in line. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

My Goodness ... you continue to raise the bar of intricate detail! ... but be honest, isn't this scratch building more FUN than just getting something from a 3D printer?

Now, I don't know how much fun it will be to make 16 of them  ... but 1 or 2 looks like it's time-well-spent!

And all this fine, fine detail ... gosh Manfred. How many "Opti-Visors" have you worn out?

Thanx

Pete

Thanks Pete! :worship:

Scratching this assembly of Gear case & Propel motor in 1/160 appealed to me, but also demanded all my commitment and ambition, which is why I want to pull it through til the end, especially since this crazy tinkering is also a funny affair, albeit sweat-inducing too. icon_sweat.gif

But considering the fact that 16 combos are needed, :gr_hail: there was no alternative to 3D printing, which is my saving anchor named Joe (crackerjazz)up039822.gif

I just have to take a break and clean my glasses every now and then, :whistle: wipe the sweat from my headset magnifying glass and grit my teeth ... :bandhead2:

That's it.  up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanks Kirk. :worship:

omgsign.gifBut now that's going too far!  :woot.gif:

I can promise to stay in the millimeter range and not go into the micrometer range, let alone the nanometer ... up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

for a better overview I have again determined some dimensions of the parts in the 3D PDF,

2uGlLc.jpg

which I've then printed out from the Outlines PDF. cool.gif

Rcgnfi.jpg

At it first I didn't even notice that both side parts (Parts 8, 9) have different inner contours, huh.gif

M2KkYC.jpg

which promptly resulted in the fact that I've glued the side walls reversed in the bulging cladding, which I've only noticed later. default_doh.gif

The bonding was carried out on a sheet metal base, to be on the safe side again on a Teflon foil (PTFE), the parts being fixed with small super magnets to prevent slipping. 

dZpr8B.jpg

gvGUnO.jpg

Before, I had cut out the opening for the small lining (Part 10)

h9TbCh.jpg

which was then glued inside, which was quite a fiddling, until it was in the right place and the glue was cured. rolleyes.gif

W2d727.jpg

And only when I had put the cladding on the housing did I notice that the semicircular contours did not match because I had glued the side walls of the cover the wrong way round. up043952.gif

This careless mistake had happened to me, because I had already thought more about the construction of the lower, curved claddings (Parts 11, 12) on the flat bases. :hmmm:

gvkA77.jpg

These small claddings I wanted to build from a base strip and an attached circle segment, for which I had punched out several discs (Ø 5 mm) from Styrene (1 mm) to get the required width, which is different on both sides, as you can see from the laid stripes on.  

zBOTwz.jpg

Then I've drawn the segments on the discs, 

uqgtNX.jpg

DASyWB.jpg

whereby I've cut the segments for the smaller curvature (Part 8 ) a little narrower,

sq2GlR.jpg

in order to roughly account for the different contours. rolleyes.gif

UM3Cba.jpg

It looked like this in front of the side wall (Part 8 ), which didn't convince me of the proportions, because the lower curvature of the disc (Ø 5 mm) is too wide and optically simply does not match the large curvature.  

k4bvyc.jpg

Therefore I've also punched out a couple of discs with Ø 4 mm, the circular segments of which fit perfectly into the picture. What such a small difference can make. up039822.gif

mxQUFD.jpg

For this, the segments of the Ø 5 mm discs correspond exactly to the intended curvature on the other side wall (Part 9)

LgkVjb.jpg

so that I can now glue these parts together. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

first I've glued the two circle segments for the front side wall together, slightly reworked the seams, and then glued them to the small base. After a short drying time, this small cladding was glued to the gear case. cool.gif

RCktDe.jpg

For the cladding on the rear side wall, three circle segments were glued together to get the slightly larger width. 

eJRncJ.jpg

Then I've glued stripes again instead of the triangular struts, first on the front side wall, 

QvHTdC.jpg

and then on the back of the cladding, whereby my Euro Cent was abruptly attracted by the magnet, which one know and take into account so that no damage is done. shocked.gif

9gbnbr.jpg

Then the protruding stripes were cut back to the triangular shape of the struts, 

5wBRhP.jpg

for what I've used the following tools to do. In addition to two nail scissors and the razor blade, this Minaral file was particularly well suited for the gentle finishing of the slants, as its narrow side is smaller than the slants are long. up039822.gif

o6nU19.jpg

That was quite a game of patience, especially since I had to proceed with extreme caution and a steady hand in order not to tear off the struts, which only adhere to a minimal linear adhesive contact. huh.gif But as it looks, the result is nothing to sneeze at. :thumbsup:

cJBIRk.jpg

But now there are a few more details, such as these Rings (Parts 20), which I've already tried. hmmm.gif

While I was able to punch out their inner diameter (Ø 2,4 mm) from sheet (0,2 mm), for the outer diameter (Ø 3,4 mm) I've punched out a template with which I could transfer this. :coolio:

hgZX97.jpg

But now the harder part of the exercise came with cutting out the ring, up046933.gif especially since its width is only approx. 0,5 mm, so one can still hardly hold the ring towards the end. analintruder.gif 

Therefore, I had to leave a small overhang on the ring, which I've then painstakingly stroked off all around with the mineral file. up046885.gif And after the rings were carefully glued, I was able to take a deep breath and wipe off my sweat. :whistle:

ONm9up.jpg

Then there are these small screws bezels (Parts 2/3) that I wanted to at least indicate, even if only made of paper, but at least. huh.gif

eycEF5.jpg

RP77JZ.jpg

Next to come this small Platform (Parts 4-6, 16-19) on which the Propel motor is mounted, 

50i2zd.jpg

whereby I will modify the structure of the pedestal a bit. 

3eRXgg.jpg

That's it for today. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanks Jesper for your nice compliment. :worship:

Yep, that was indeed my intention, to see how complicated and laborious it would be to scratch one Gear case with Propel motor:hmmm:

And I can already say that one copy is enough for me and confirms my opinion, that the piece number of 16 would absolutely be modeling madness :woot.gif: and that therefore there is no alternative to 3D printing on my small scale 1/160up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and therewith on to the Final Countdown! cool.gif

As one can see again in the following image, the substructure of the platform in the Paper kit is designed as a kind of plug-in connection, which gives the thin paper a certain stability which I've denied myself because Styrene (0,2 mm) is stiff enough and slitting the small parts would be difficult. huh.gif 

Likewise, the Cladding (Part 7) should be slotted and the Platform supports (Parts 4/6) should be inserted into these slots and glued, which appeared for me unnecessarily complicated. rolleyes.gif

50i2zd.jpg

That's why I've modified the supports and cut out the contour of the curve so that I could glue it directly onto the cladding. :thumbsup:

With the 7 Mini disks (Ø 0,6 mm x 0,2 mm) I want to try to indicate the screws on the small side claddings. :whistle:

GHtpyf.jpg

After the 4 small plates for the motor feet were glued to the platform plate, this had to be fixed again accordingly for the secure gluing of the supports, 

dXCdg7.jpg

with which the platform was completed.  8)

gKnlni.jpg

Then the platform could be glued to the case cladding. 

CD92qY.jpg

And then came the exciting moment of trying on the Propel motor on the platform, whose drive shaft, to my surprise, fitted perfectly into the socket of the dome-shaped attachment.  yahoo.gif

00agV2.jpg

On this image one can also nicely see the 3 screws on the base of the small cladding. up045518.gif

fr9vGY.jpg

And if I now calmly make me realize the size of this imposing couple once again next to the Euro Cent, yikes.gif

zmlj8b.jpg

then a small feeling of satisfaction and also proud of the result of my work creeps over me. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

but in my euphoria I have now yet overlooked one assembly, namely this Fan unit (Parts 21-25), which looks formidable, but of course it shouldn't be missing. :coolio:

eX91H5.jpg

EVhOlT.jpg
Source: NASA

And these are the parts required, 

LlFHLX.jpg

whereby the Part 23 looks a bit bizarre indeed, so that I have to figure out how I can best scratch it. up040577.gif