Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this wonderful collaboration and to see the fidelity of the 3D print.

And those 2 screenshots ... my gawsh, it's hard to believe that they are paper models!

"Keep on Truckin' "  Manfred and crackerjazz!

Pete

Thanks Pete for your appreciative words. :worthy: I'm also curious whether and in what quality Shapeways can print it ... :hmmm:

Yes, the collaboration with Joe (crackerjazz) is creative and very successful, he is a hardworking guy and a great master of 3D modeling:clap2:

The Crawler trucks made from the Paper kit (1/96) by Mischa Klement (MicroArtwork) look fantastic and, in my opinion, their attention to detail and quality are based approx. 60% on the ingenious paper kit and 40% on the unique paper modeling by Jürgen Ziegler (FADDA), a true master of nimble scissors. up046933.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

as a result of an initial review (Processing) by Shapeways (SW) the model was initially put on hold by production because of design issues. up037312.gif 

SW wrote to me this: 
This marketplace model is not printable in this material per our design guidelines. The designer has been contacted and has 7 days to correct the model, or it will be removed from this order.

SW has contacted the designer, my friend Joe (crackerjazz), so he could decide what action to take on this model, they say. rolleyes.gif 

I hope that SW has given some tips on necessary changes/adjustments and have asked Joe to forward the SW answer to me, so that we can think together how we should deal with it. hmmm.gif

Perhaps the combination gearbox/motor is too complicated for 3D print. shrug.gif If that were the case, one could have both parts printed separately. 

So let's wait  ... up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

Shapeways has complained about the wall thickness of some thin struts, which are 0.240 mm and therefore would not correspond to the Design Guidelines. rolleyes.gif

Gxs7hP.jpg
Source: Shapeways Customer Service Team

My friend Joe (crackerjazz) could counter this rejection by increasing the wall thickness of this and other thin walls to 0.3 mm, which would then, in my opinion, comply with the SW Guidelines. cool.gif

It says in it: 
A supported wall is connected at least on two sides of the wall, while an unsupported wall is connected only on one side of the wall. Walls that do not meet the minimum requirements may not survive printing and cleaning processes. Additionally, models may still be rejected based on the wall geometry of the model. Please consider the size of your model and reinforce the walls or add support structures as needed as minimum guidelines will not always be adequate for large models.

And, as I understand it, this criterion should apply to most, if not for all, of the thin walls of the model. :whistle:

up075453.png
Source: ARC Forums (crackerjazz)

So let's wait and see if SW sees it that way too, or what comes next ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

my request at Shapeways whether the reinforcement of the wall thickness of the critical areas to 0.3 mm would be sufficient to eliminate the printing problems has been confirmed by SW as this would meet the minimum requirement for supported walls made of Fine Detail Plastic. There we go! up039822.gif

That's right, changing the thickness to 0.3 mm should fix the issue on this design, this is the minimum requirement for supported wall thickness on Fine Detail plastic. 

Consequently my friend Joe (crackerjazz) should be able to modify his 3D model, which initially calms me down. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

unfortunately, my friend Joe (crackerjazz) from Toronto is very busy professionally, so that he has apparently not yet got around to making the changes to his 3D model, which is why Shapeways has canceled my order, as advertised, after 7 days of possible changes and has initiated a refund, which allegedly is on its way ... rolleyes.gif

So first of all, patience is required and a second attempt is necessary ... cool.gif

Before I forget, I have therefore turned to the manufacture of the 3 lamps without a shade on the Side-1, which are corresponding to the shape and size of the Caution lights (Beacons) that I still need too. huh.gif

ViYLlr.jpg
Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

Their dimensions I've determined from this photo, which shows such a warning light with bracket in the White Room of the Orbiter Access Arm (OAA), on its walls many folks have immortalized themself, as one can see. up039822.gif 

fQn6GF.jpg
Source: NASA

As you can see on it, the dimensions of these lamps without a screen are a lot smaller than those of the other lamps with a screen, which is why I've also used the smallest ferrules (0,25 mm2) that come closest to the original. :thumbsup:

Only a Mini-LED (0401) fits into this mini ferrule, which is glued in with UV glue after the sleeve has been cut to length. 

yr1gBg.jpg

It's good that I can regulate the current of each lamp circuit using the Multi-current bank of my friend (McPhönix), since the LED with 8,5 mA lights up much too strongly,  

SgU4pB.jpg

which looks already better with 1,5 mA and can even be regulated down to 0,5 mA. up045518.gif

GTWTQW.jpg

A first separation test with a ferrule impaled on a toothpick (as before with the larger ferrules) unfortunately went bad, rolleyes.gif 

Haq8XS.jpg

because the 3 mm long wooden tip sticking in the sleeve simply does not offer a stable hold, up037312.gif which is why I had to think of another, more stable technique. :hmmm:

V0x6O4.jpg

As a possible solution, I've thought of a steel wire with a suitable diameter (Øi 0,6 mm) onto which the sleeve (Øi 0,7 mm) is attached, which in turn is held in a stable device and carefully pushed against the cutting disc. up039822.gif

For this I've used a Mini hand drill chuck, which was clamped with the clamped wire in my small vice. 

Ck2c6y.jpg

When cutting, I've held the sleeve at the end with the pliers and pushed it together with the vice against the cutting disc, whereby this time the sparks sprayed.  huh.gif

SuL1a6.jpg

The separation went without any problems, so that the shade could easily be removed from the wire stub. 

zhTVjM.jpg

For deburring, the shade was again impaled on a toothpick and filed all around.  

Q438Bn.jpg

Here one can see again the size difference between the lampshades, 

DLljFB.jpg

which can now be manufactured in the required piece number. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
On 8/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, spaceman said:

unfortunately, my friend Joe (crackerjazz) from Toronto is very busy professionally, so that he has apparently not yet got around to making the changes to his 3D model, 

Oh dear ... it seems like crackerjazz hasn't got his priorities in the right order ... doesn't he realize he ... has FANS?  (I'm kidding ... just kidding!  😘 )

Manfred, not only does your extreme attention to detail continue to amaze me, your ability to bring that tiny detail to life is just as satisfying. And still amazing even after all these years!

I don't know how you do it, but keep up the wonderful work!

Pete 

Thanks Pete for your nice words. :worship:

Yeah, my attention to detail and perfection in scratching it - bane or boon, that's here the question! :hmmm:... :dontknow: ...  :gr_hail: ... But I can't help doing it ... up037311.gif... 

BTW, I can fully understand my friend Joe (crackerjazz) - Private problems override disaster!!! up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hi guys, yeah, this thing called work just just gets in the way of hobbies, doesn't it  : )    Will try to modify some wall thicknesses each week so we can get somewhere,  Manfred, but this week just doesn't look good with work stuff piling up.  But it's good to know you're able to do other areas of the model in the meantime : )     Hey, I just remembered the F-14 group build deadline's just around the corner - no way I could make it.   Oh well, at least I tried.   

Hi Joe,

keep calm my friend and save your energy. :whistle:

Fortunately, on the huge Launch Complex there are several construction sites that still need to be worked and finished ... up040577.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

great, that you are able to go on slowly. :thumbsup: Have you received any specific hints from Shapeways for making further modifications required? :hmmm:

Which areas do you still have to hollow out? :dontknow:

Don't do more work than necessary, but only what has been objected to. up040577.gif

Hi Manfred, not more than their general rules about wall thicknesses.   Right now I'm trying to rebuilt flat parts the way I'd build them using 0.3mm styrene -- hopefully Shapeways doesn't complain anymore.

I lost the original file that I've hollowed out before -- probably failed to save it before a crash.  This one's back to a solid and I'm starting all over.  I had to hollow that out manually section by section as the shell command couldn't do it and I may have to do the same thing.  

Hi Joe,

omgsign.gifdoes that really mean you have to remodel the whole model? :gr_hail:

Which flat parts do you try to rebuilt the way so as you'd build them using 0.3mm styrene, why is that necessary? :hmmm:

Remember that you can hint flat parts or their contours also as Details embossed at least 0.1 mm high & wide corresponding with SW's Guidelines. :thumbsup:

And don't forget to save your models this time! up040577.gif

Hi Manfred,  it's necessary to rebuild the walls, ribs, brake disk mount, etc to 0.3mm because they keep failing wall thickness when evaluating and keep showing as red on the heatmap.

I think the details will be the least of our worries, though, 'cause the motor will be as small as this when printed, heheh...

img%5D

img%5D

Nicely hollowed out to save on material:

img%5D

url%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

And now it's passing wall thickness check, finally!   : )

url%5D

The details are all there -- hopefully they all remain visible.  As far as wall thicknesses -- we should be good! : )

Just a note: I've never put any markup on my Shapeways uploads, so the price you find is entirely Shapeways'.   And besides, references are all Mischa Klement's. This is his baby, just helping out with the 3D modeling.

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Joe,

:wow:now you have pleasantly surprised me with the fact that you have modified your 3D model so quickly in accordance with Shapeways' guidelines. I'm totally thrilled, my friend, my compliment.  00003423.gif The wait was worth it. :nanner:

And if we now still imagine that the whole Motor-Gearbox-Combi is only 28 mm long, one knows what kind of midgets they are. :yikes:

Here one can see the comparison of the previous version with the too thin walls (0,24 mm) complained about by SWrolleyes.gif

51279855620_f96475ba52_o.png

and here the modified version with the wall thickness increased to 0,3 mm. Hopefully Shapeways doesn't complain anymore. :hmmm:

51395722964_06c9486813_o.png

BTW, very interesting to see how you have hollowed out the model to save material. :speak_cool:

And of this modified Motor-Gearbox-Combi which has meanwhile been uploaded to Shapeways,

710x528_35603566_18668058_1629653272_1_0.jpg

Source: shapeways.com

I've immediately ordered a copy in both Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic and Smooth Fine Detail Plastic quality in order to be able to assess the print quality of the parts. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hi Joe and friends,

as I've just seen at SW, this time the model has survived the first two stages Processing and Pre-Production and is now In Production:nanner:which is why I'm very curious about the results. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hey Manfred - you may wish to hide your personal details. Never know how many arch criminals/industrial spies are planning a sophisticated diorama heist. There have been plenty of shady looking characters in masks in my neighbourhood and I have nothing like the quality of work in progress in my model stash.

Curious about the results too, by the way and really love the possibilities that 3D printing has opened up.

Hello friends,

:wow:News of the day: My Shapeways order is now on its way! :yahoo: The tension is rising ... :nanner:

My prototype is ready for comparison. up040577.gif

RO9nJe.jpg

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

today the time had come, and when the parcel messenger rang, it was clear to me that it could only be Shapeways' 3D prints.  cool.gif

hguTXO.jpg

I had let printed both versions, both the finer and more expensive quality Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic (XSFDP, € 10.01) and the cheaper Smooth Fine Detail Plastic (SFDP, 7.51 €), in order to be able to assess the print quality of the parts.  

First of all, here is the comparison of the XSFDP quality with my scratched Motor-Gearbox-Combi, which of course looks much better at first glance, right? :whistle:

1zTiBc.jpg 

Joking aside, but this is mainly due to the transparent look of the SW plastic, on which the details, edges, etc. only become clearly visible after the priming/painting, rolleyes.gif but is also strongly related to the lighting conditions. 

On closer inspection under the magnifying glass, however, I noticed a few things, huh.gif which cannot convince me yet, up037312.gif which I have marked in the following image.

hwQdqA.jpg

First there are these small circled icicles that have no place there, why I've cut off them. up043952.gif

Furthermore, I don't like the red marked rough surface, and that with the finest quality!!! :gr_hail: In my opinion, this can be related to the printing direction, an effect that I noticed already in earlier prints, because the side marked in green, which is perpendicular to it, is slick. :thumbsup: But these are precisely the two sides that are barely or not at all visible after installation in the trucks. In contrast, the surface of the Combi should be as smooth as possible, I think. cool.gif 

But my friend Joe (crackerjazz) would be able to take this into account before uploading and change the arrangement for accordingly, which I want to discuss with him again. 

I suspect that the part was lying on its side when it was printed and that is why these steps were created, what still astonishes me. 

On this photo at backlight one can see the details of the finer XSFDP quality much better, but which are really very small. huh.gif

S5wybj.jpg

In the following two images, the SFDP quality (left in the picture) can now also be seen, in which the previously observed roughness is, as expected, more pronounced and the details less well developed. hmmm.gif

dlupKi.jpg

XixWz4.jpg

There is one thing I definitely have to discuss with Joe, because so far that's only half the battle, namely the Motor-Gearbox-Combi-L in the left version (right in the NASA image!), of which 8 units are required. The right version, Motor-Gearbox-Combi-R, of which I also need 8 units, my Joe now also has to upload Shapeways so I can let them be printed. And this L and R designation he has to take into account in Shapeways' item title so that one knows what to order. :whistle:

5nQ8F5.jpg
Source: Library of Congress (HAER FL-8-11-C-14)

I hope for doing that he just has to mirror his previous Model L in his CAD Program to get Model R, as I've done in my PaintShop Pro, what then looks like this. 

roxpXb.jpg

But I'm sure, that Joe will still manage this too. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanks Joe for your funny compliment. 00003423.gif

Do you know In which direction the Motor-Gearbox-Combi L was printed by Shapeways, as upright as it can be seen in the offer? :hmmm:

What do you think of the ability to change the printing direction to avoid or reduce the unsightly roughness on the top? up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
9 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

I see the space-age, high-tech, robot-made 3D-printed parts are no match to your handiwork : )  

Totally agree, and i´m a little curios.. Is it possible at all to print anything that small in a precise and flawless quality?

I mean, does this type of printer exist?

Allthough it must be some kind off relieve for you Manfred. Say, finally some results 😄

Jesper

Edited by freshnewstart