Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Those look fantastic, @bubble   What kind of printer are you using?   

Hi Manfred, probably not straight mirroring, as we don't want to mirror the disk brake pads.   But I can move the box to the other side for the other version.

Hi @freshnewstart,  Shapeways' Smoothest Fine Detail material layer height is 16 microns (.016mm), which is actually incredible.   Layer height on current home printers goes down to about 25 microns, I think.    But yeah, pieces of smooth styrene cut with an exacto blade would still have sharper edges.    I still like looking at Manfred's home-brew motor than these motors that are seemingly carved out of sugar cubes : )

img%5D 

Hi Manfred, for the Smoothest Fine Detail, I thought I'd set it to vertical but it looks like it was in this orientation.  And it says "where the wax touches the plastic, the surface will be rougher."

img%5D

The support wax in this orientation looks like this:

img%5D

img%5D

As for the Smooth Fine Detail, it was in this orientation:

img%5D

With the support wax looking like so:

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

The best orientation would probably be like this:

img%5D

img%5D

url%5D

url%5D

I still think you can hand-build 16 of these puppies, Manfred, and end up with 16 fantastic-looking motors than save time by printing and end up trying not to look at them : )     Just take it slowly and savor every moment of the motor-building.   Or if we only knew how to cast like Rob De Bie... sigh.

the anicubic photon mono se version and not so exspensive  , little one to learn first , one thing i know now , you need to werk very clean and safe , A different world than using PLA .

497x840.jpg

Edited by bubble

Thanks @bubble, very nice printer.  I really meed to fire up mine -- just too scared to do so.  Got a question -- when printing multiples of the same model, can you duplicate the model with the same support placement? Or do you have to go through the exercise of putting supports for each part?

Hi Joe,

I can understand your interest in good 3D printers well, but please discuss this with each other via PM, okay? :hmmm:

I'll get in touch with you today about our problems with the optimal print orientation of the Motor-Gearbox Combisup040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
37 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Thanks @bubble, very nice printer.  I really meed to fire up mine -- just too scared to do so.  Got a question -- when printing multiples of the same model, can you duplicate the model with the same support placement? Or do you have to go through the exercise of putting supports for each part?

the file you can see here it,s a design of vincent meens , did download one make it on scale from 1/32 to 1/48 or bigger 🙂 and duplicate 3 x and printing it 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3357820

Edited by bubble

Hi Joe and bubble,

I can understand you, but this detailed discussion with bubble strays too far and complicates the overview and discussion of our problems on the basis of the printed SW models, wherefore I also ask bubble for understanding. :coolio:

BTW, you have an error in reasoning about the gearbox/motor geometry and the mirroring of the Model L that I proposed, which we have to clear up first so that you can upload the Model R as well.

So please both of you understand and keep cool, I am currently having sad family problems ... :hmmm:

Edited by spaceman

Manfred,

I have to say I really like your scratch built gearbox more than the 3D printed ones.  There's noting wrong with the 3D printed ones but the fine details on your scratch built one look amazing.  I can't wait to see more.

Mike.

Hello friends,

and thanks freshnewstart for your comment. :worship:

And with it back to your answer, Joe, regarding mirroring the Gearbox/motor L, whereby mirroring the disk brake pads is the smallest problem and moving the Cable box to the other side ist not the way to go for modeling Gearbox/motor R. as one can see in this image by Mischa Klement:hmmm:

uwMPo1.jpg 

Source: MicroArtwork (cyana)

This is the real arrangement of the Combis L & R between the trucks, whereby both motors and the inner sides of the gearboxes are sitting next to each other. 

Therefore, the suggested mirroring of your Model L by me is already the right solution for Model R with the small restriction that the disk brake pads of one motor then are not arranged correctly.  But I can live with that, because they are so small that they can hardly be seen. :whistle:

roxpXb.jpg

You just have to distinguish between the two Models L & R when uploading. :thumbsup:

This is the correct arrangement of both Motor-Gearbox-Combis:coolio:

sCH77o.jpg

And now to the different kinds of 3D Printing orientation and resulting Support wax.
It would have been better if we had talked about it beforehand, because when printing the Crawler Track shoes we had similar problems with such rough surfaces, if you remember. :hmmm:

I also believe that the orientation shown last should be the best Printing orientation:thumbsup:

img%5D

url%5D

And since I don't give up so quickly, I suggest: Save this orientation for both R & L models before uploading and let me know when I can order them.

I think that this surface quality should then be sufficiently good and the printed parts should be respectable. :whistle:

I still have to clean the parts of the wax residues anyway, especially since SW didn't clean them thoroughly enough, as you can see in the following images. :gr_hail:

As one can see, the marked areas between the brake disc and the brake shoe holders of the SFDP are relatively clean, while they are clogged with wax on one side of the XSFDP

WwUUpl.jpg

The wax residues in the hollowed out gear housing of the XSFDP variant do not bother me because they do not interfere with the painting. 

PLtdx2.jpg

Therefore I would like to compare these pictures with the Combis to be printed in the best orientation in order to be able to form a final judgment. :thumbsup: Let's wait and see. 

Your praise for my scratched prototype honors me, but unlike you, I have not yet forgotten the weeks of effort for a single Combi. :woot.gif:

But maybe someone would print a comparison Combi with a Super printer, if Joe would provide the 3D print file ... Volunteers first! up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
On 8/29/2021 at 5:41 PM, crowe-t said:

Manfred,

I have to say I really like your scratch built gearbox more than the 3D printed ones.  There's noting wrong with the 3D printed ones but the fine details on your scratch built one look amazing.  I can't wait to see more.

Mike.

Thanks Mike for your good taste.  :worship:

I also like my baby a lot, and I'm proud that I've managed this miniature puzzle, especially since my 1/160 scale is actually much too small for scratch-building such crazy details. :woot.gif:

But the effort is enormous and the assembly is complicated, because one motor consists of 52 parts and the gear housing consists of 56 parts, making a total of 108 parts for one Combi:rolleyes: That's why it took me about 7 weeks for my prototype. As a result, I would need approx. 2 years for 15 more Combis as a first approximation. :gr_hail:

Okay, that was the first Combi, but even if the effort and time per Combi should gradually decrease, that would actually be an utopian job, especially since I still want to finish my Mega project in this life ... :whistle:

That's why Joe should model and upload a Combi in the preferred variant of print orientation, then I would like to order such a SW print from what I hope an improved quality. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hi Joe,

wow, great to see that you also had time for modeling the Motor Gearbox Combo R:thumbsup: and that even with the correct arrangement of the brake shoes! up039822.gif

What was your idea regarding the omitted brake disc? :hmmm:

Thank you for your willingness to share the STL files with bubble for trial printing on his Anycubic, great help! up040577.gif

Hi Joe,

cool, fantastic job, thanks! :banana:

Then you could save the combo in the now known best orientation and upload to SW, so I can order it, okay? :coolio:

img%5D

Then we can compare the results with last prints. Yes, we can!!! up040577.gif

I hope you have saved the models in this print orientation before uploading, sure? :hmmm:

Please still show us how the support wax in this orientation looks like. :whistle:

Then I'll order a combo pair in XSFDP in order to compare it with the first print. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hi Manfred, here are some test shots that @bubble sent.    He couldn't upload them to ARC at the moment so he asked me to post the pics for him.   They look great -- he printed them in 1/72 and 1/144 but he's saying the gearbox warps a little under the UV lamp.   I guess that means more thicking required for printing in 1/160.

img%5D

img

img%5D

Hey Joe,

wow, I've written bubble, that he is faster than the police allows!!! :woot.gif:

I told him that I need the combos at 1/160 scale, what is pretty small indeed, and asked him if he can try to print this, because a direct size comparison is important. :thumbsup:

BTW, what should you do massive, as he said, the gear case walls or he whole combo? :hmmm:

Maybe the UV curing with Resin printing is comparably a similar tricky problem as the Support wax problem with SW's printing? Only a thought ... :Pfeife:

Edited by spaceman
On 8/29/2021 at 2:19 PM, spaceman said:

Hi Joe,

I can understand your interest in good 3D printers well, but please discuss this with each other via PM, okay? :hmmm:

I'll get in touch with you today about our problems with the optimal print orientation of the Motor-Gearbox Combisup040577.gif

they are done 

001.jpeg

002.jpeg

003.jpeg

004.jpeg

006.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 16.42.42.jpeg

Hi Bubble,

omgsign.gif what kind of a mirage is that? :gr_eek2: You're either a magician or a warlock, :woot.gif: incredible and overwhelming! :clap2:

Are these 1/160 scale combos? Did you print it gray or paint it? :hmmm:

The Pad guys are looking cool! :nanner:

Edited by spaceman