Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello everyone,

today in a quick way some images of the gluing of the three remaining Screw Jacks without many words. cool.gif

After gluing the Gear units onto the fixed Base plates (0,13 mm x 1,4 mm x 1,5 mm)

Rxutbv.jpg

the Folding bellows were glued onto the Worm gears one after the other. up046118.gif

9GiauF.jpg

DYw8OL.jpg

p8Tmp0.jpg

And here they are standing in rank and file like the tin soldiers, :banana:

662Wsh.jpg

and can next be glued onto the Double angle holders. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

and thus to the final gluing of the Gear units with the Folding bellows on the Double angle holders. cool.gif

9qKR34.jpg

00AYfp.jpg

dwhBhE.jpg

m8p5sy.jpg

ICzxeN.jpg

Next the gluing of the vertical braces to the remaining frames will follow,  

u760b3.jpg

and then the four Screw Jacks are glued to the frames, wherewith finally would be complete this complex subassembly. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

as advertised, here is the brief overview of gluing the vertical struts to the three remained frames with 1 mm overhang at the top of the frames as I had described for the first frame. cool.gif

waTL1C.jpg

jdpPl3.jpg

xcKj19.jpg

kMpCTy.jpg

The gluing of the Screw Jacks I'll do tomorrow in daylight. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and thus to the trickiest part of the exercise, gluing the Screw Jacks onto the fragile frames, where everything can still go wrong, up037312.gif but must not go wrong! cool.gif

That's why I thought back and forth beforehand as to how the frames could be fixed best and as gently as possible in order to be able to glue the Screw Jacks as centrally and precisely as possible to the front edge. idea1_2.gif

Finally, I've fixed the frame with narrow tape strips on a steel ruler, the lower struts with 2 mm tape, and the upper short ends with 1 mm tape, which resulted in a sufficiently tight fit. up046118.gif

To try it on, I've clamped the ruler in a small vice and carefully laid down a spindle on it, which was quite a balancing act, but has held up. huh.gif 

12lJ7l.jpg

In order to be able to handle better when gluing the parts, I first held the ruler in my hand and dabbed the front ends of the struts lightly with Revell adhesive and put the ruler down for a moment. Then I grabbed the protective tube with the flat tweezers, picked up the ruler with the other hand and carefully placed the spindle with the tiny Angle holders on the adhesive points of the struts, which worked well, so that I could breathe a sigh of relief. up039822.gif

Then I inspected the vertical seat of the spindle from all sides and corrected it slightly, 

maFL8C.jpg

and let all dry for a while. :whistle:

Hbbuu2.jpg

After I carefully removed the tape strips, I was glad that everything worked out and that my plan had worked again perfectly. popcorn.gif

L3fqiw.jpg

Gluing the remaining three Screw Jacks will become a bit easier already, I hope so. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and with that go right to the next Screw Jack, which was indeed easier to do, since the method of gluing has now proven itself. cool.gif

up078560.jpg

After the tape strips were carefully removed, the seat of the spindle was slightly adjusted,

up078561.jpg

and finally found as perfect, http://www.raumfahrer.net/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/up045518.gif

up078562.jpg

which already half of the Screw Jacks was done. up039822.gif

up078563.jpg

And so it was worth going for a test on the Port Side of the Payload Canister. http://www.raumfahrer.net/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/up035091.gif

up078564.jpg

up078565.jpg

This was followed immediately by the third Screw Jack

up078566.jpg

and finally still the fourth one too. 

up078567.jpg

And I think they look pretty much alike, right? up053953.gif

up078568.jpg

And together with the two Door Actuator Pneumatic Drives, another small but very laborious and tricky milestone has been reached, up053180.gif

up078569.jpg

uTatLw.jpg

what more than only satisfies me. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

but in addition to the Screw Jacks and Door Actuator Drives there are a few more details on the side walls that should not be missing. cool.gif

And those are the Ladders right next to the Access Platforms and these Outriggers (folded) at the front end of the canister. 

YqLN9r.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-135)

The outriggers can be folded or folded out as needed for the transfer of the canister to the Payload Changeout Room (PCR) of the RSS. In the extended position, the rotatably mounted PCR Guide Shoes slide in vertical guides on both sides of the RSS Payload Bay when the canister is hoisted and thus to keep the shuttle's payload as stable as possible.up046118.gif

KSC-2009-6014~medium.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-129)

Here the guide shoes dip into the guide rails. 

KSC-2009-6016~medium.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-129)

On this image I determined the dimensions of the ladders.

8U02ST.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-132)

For these ladders, I got already these PE Ladders from ABER (1:200-05) a long time ago,

lcjMAV.jpg

which are offered there as Ships Ladders (wide) in three different widths, of which the middle width (3,5 mm) is well suited for my scale (1:160). up046118.gif

The Plastruct Styrene Ladders would have the required width, but they are 'rough wrought-iron work' that one can safely forget. rolleyes.gif

After cutting out from the PE circuit board, the narrow side bars still have to be bent by 90°,

IrDbS6.jpg

s2XYPj.jpg

for which a special Hold and Fold tool is needed. up039822.gif

MmQd20.jpg

EVY5YR.jpg

And this ladder size fits well into the mould,

qVjBYe.jpg

which I can also use for the ladders on the Forward Bulkhead of the canister. :whistle:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37640.0;
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (STS-9, Ares67)

And as one can see, there are still also some Railings there that can be folded or folded out as well. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

This truly is amazing work, I am currently scratch building the walkways and stairs on a 1/144ish scale Crawler Transporter inspired by you.  I can PM you the build log which was started 27-03-2020, just let me know the email address and I can send it to you. Thanks for all the hints, tips and detailed work. Kind regards

Edited by Logan 5
Name sited

Thanks Logan for your nice words. :worship:

It would be easier and also interesting for others here if you would start an own construction report here. And therefore Take heart! :clap2:

Are you scratch building your Crawler or by using a kit? :hmmm:

Thanks Spaceman, I have the Educraft Diversions Apollo Era Crawler Transporter kit. Based on that, I have used multi medium materials, it is mostly styrene with balsa, cardboard and paper. I will have a go at posting the construction log, but have not posted anything before. 

Hello everybody,

but I want to start with the Outriggers, which, similar to the Door Actuators on the canister doors, consist of foldable linkages, at the end of them the PCR Guide Shoes are mounted, which can be seen in the folded state in these two images. cool.gif

Then I've also marked the two Lifting Trunnions for hoisting the canister, which are also still to do.

op3dSz.jpg

For hoisting the canister into the RSS Payload bay , the outrigger is folded out by locking the lower Support strut into the upper bracket marked here,

mVETTX.jpg

which can also be seen in these drawings.

WfCQHr.jpg
Source: Library of Congress, HAER FL-8-11-I

mWIdry.jpg

But before assembling the linkages, I've looked for NASA photos, on which one can see the structure of the outrigger better, and actually have made a find at STS-135, which is extensively photo-documented as the last Shuttle mission. up039822.gif

bSe0sL.jpg

On it one can see the structure of the triangular support frame, which is rotatably mounted at the base in brackets on the side wall and connected to the guide shoe at the other end. The swiveling support strut is rotatably mounted on the shoe's holder, which can be locked in the folded state or, as shown here, in the unfolded state, as required. up046118.gif 

HCM4Pe.jpg

And to this size the outrigger must now be shrunk. :whistle:

PDIuLV.jpg

For the PCR Guide Shoe I used an Evergreen Strip (0,5 mm x 1,5 mm), which was sanded down to a width 1,3 mm

fWTiZp.jpg

For the struts I will use an Evergreen rod (Ø 0,4 mm), I have provisionally laid out them here.

u8yaCW.jpg

So much for today. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

after the provisional fitting of the Outrigger, the parts were now glued together, first the two diagonal struts with the holding plate, which later is glued with the Guide shoe. cool.gif

im84Hj.jpg

To do this, the two diagonal struts were fixed with tape, after what the upper cross strut and to it the lateral hinge plates could be glued, 

1zQPd6.jpg

which are articulated in the holders on the side wall for folding and unfolding the outrigger.

And here at the latest, compared to the drawing, I noticed that the Guide shoes (8 mm) were a bit too long, which was confirmed by subsequent measurements using photos, what had also to be corrected, similar like the holding plate, which was also a bit too big. up037312.gif

hzW6bB.jpg

The strips for the holdings (0,13 mm x 0,5 mm x 1 mm) have a small overhang so that they can still be held with tweezers when gluing them to both sides of the hinge strips. rolleyes.gif

JNi6uT.jpg

Here first the gluing of the inner parts of the holders, the overhang parts of which were carefully separated with a razor blade.

VbGNDo.jpg

And here the gluing of the outer strips,

HcHAq7.jpg

whose overhangs were also separated. 

tb9k7k.jpg

Then the strut linkage was glued to the shortened guide shoe. 

iuw2aF.jpg

The length of the slanting support strut was determined using this small template to 7,5 mm

ynMg3C.jpg

As one can see on this image, all mountings sit on small base plates (0,13 mm x 1 mm x 1,5 mm), which should not be missing either, 

mVETTX.jpg

but had to be fixed again for gluing. 

MQvPrC.jpg

Y1YnGK.jpg

The slanting support strut is also locked in both positions in a holder that I glued together with the base plate at the foot of the strut. :whistle:

5ch9fR.jpg

UEBASx.jpg

And then I've tried the outrigger on the canister only without the support strut, 

vmxUkC.jpg

which looks pretty well. up039822.gif

All of these fragile structures are only glued onto the canister at the end so that they cannot be damaged beforehand. up040577.gif

up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

today I took on the Lifting Trunnions for lifting and transporting the canister, which are located at different heights on both sides at its bulkheads. cool.gif

bLUv2r.jpg

As one can see in this image, the Lifting trunnions consist of three parts, a cylindrical base on which the trunnion with a slightly smaller diameter sits, and an outer cover plate

1eXMqt.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-125)

which is probably screwed to the trunnion to secure it after the crane's Lifting plate has been attached.

Xf2dqq.jpg

And these are the prepared parts, the white base (Ø 1,2 mm x 0,5 mm), the gray trunnion (Ø 1 mm x 0,5 mm) and the black cover plate (Ø 1,2 mm x 0,25 mm) that I made with my Punch & Die Set. up046118.gif

Hce9Vf.jpg

The tiny parts were glued with UHU CA in the tried and tested locking mechanism between the rulers. 

Ut580I.jpg

1JWv1r.jpg

fsBMvQ.jpg

QHbzff.jpg

This was followed by the gluing of the lifting trunnions, first on the Port Side of the canister,

RVfSAW.jpg

0G2ffk.jpg

and then on the Starboard Side

HWFyp5.jpg

dTAd5c.jpg

irax7u.jpg

GxEx3g.jpg

In the meantime, the vertical support strut has also been glued at the Outrigger,

uHX2G0.jpg

and here the complete outrigger has been positioned on the Port side for a test, which looks quite neat. up039822.gif

KOwjBI.jpg

bm9l1x.jpg

Now all that's missing is the outrigger for the Starboard Side, which will now follow. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

for the sake of completeness, here is the lower Support strut bracket of the Outrigger required when folded, cool.gif

6KQaZb.jpg

and here its later position on the Port Side of the canister.

uRwV4S.jpg

Although my size comparison using the Eurocent is always very impressive, :whistle: the comparison of the outrigger with a Can Crew worker shows the actual relation in the model scale 1:160, which is otherwise difficult to imagine.  

mxJ6nR.jpg

Even more impressive are original photos like this one, on which workers dismantle the Guide Shoe on an Outrigger. up037692.gif On it one can even see the handle for locking the support strut in the various positions, which I do without because with Ø 0,1 mm x 0,5 mm x 1 mm it would really be too tiny. analintruder.gif

4oes60.jpg
Source: NASA (Jim Grossmann)

But then I still have to correct my assumption from the last post about the screwing of the Cover disk on the Lifting trunnion. rolleyes.gif

I came across this because I remembered a picture my friend James MacLaren took of the Payload Canister just before it was attached to the lifting block of the 90-ton Payload Hoist with its Spreader beam, contained in his documentation Space Shuttle Launch Complex 39-B Construction Photos - Page 9 wherefore I've asked him regarding the red-lettered parts. hmmm.gif

In addition to the parts that are already known, you can see the Spreader beam with the lifting plates and on the left in the image one of the two Guide Rails for guiding the Guide Shoes when lifting the canister up to the Payload Changeout Room (PCR)

eVK2hU.jpg
Source: James MacLaren

And if anyone is familiar with these things, then it's him who worked 5 years during building the Launch Pad 39-B and knows the RSS inside out. He also has a large pool of detailed NASA drawings, which he is linking to in his documentation and explains down to the last detail. up046118.gif

Thereupon he has sent me this drawing, on which he highlighted the Lifting Plate, which has a slotted hole with two different-sized openings, which is a simple but ingenious solution for accommodating the Lifting trunnion. up039822.gif

7HqLBD.jpg
Source: James MacLaren

This holds the spreader-beam in such a position to allow the lifting plates hanging from the lifting cables to be passed through the larger opening over the lifting trunnions and the beam then can carefully be lifted, fixing the trunnions in the smaller opening of the plates.

This special lifting plate I had also noticed in a photo sent by my friend Richard Chamberlain, who was a member of a Can Crew, cause I still haven't tinkered with these details more closely that time. huh.gif

A4kKyZ.jpg

The Canister hoisting system and its entire handling is so complex and demanding, blink.gif but at the same time very interesting, so I can commend all interested guys highly the Page 52: A Lighter Moment in a Heavy Place, and a Deep Dive into the Canister Hoisting System in James MacLaren's documentation The Construction of Space Shuttle Launch Complex 39-B. up046118.gif

With that you always have to keep in mind that the canister is approx. 20 m long and with its weight of approx. 64 t represents an enormous free hanging load, and hoisting it to the PCR is a high sensitive matter that is not harmless and must therefore be secured by various vertical and horizontal Tag Lines. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello together,

the second Outrigger is waiting for me, let's go. :nanner:

The twin should at least look similar to its brother. cool.gif

KzvXgT.jpg

YJXbnx.jpg

Only the Vertical Support Strut has to point to the other side, which I took into account in good time. :whistle:

OOeVAh.jpg

The way they both are standing there now, I think I've done quite well with them. up039822.gif

k4DPff.jpg

And here is the test fitting on the Starboard Side. up046118.gif

C6THn6.jpg

ZihRQw.jpg

Next I'll probably turn to these Railings on the Forward Bulkhead of the canister,

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37640.0;
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (STS-9, Ares67)

which can also be folded in or out. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

first of all, here is a photo from the early years of the Shuttle Program (1980), on which the erected Railings can be seen, so that nothing could happen to the Can Crew guys when installing the Payload into the Payload Changeout Room (PCR). cool.gif

WNY4yX.jpg

And with this to the two lower Railings G-1, whose six individual parts I've cut out of round rods (Ø 0,45 mm). First of all, I thought about how best to assemble the railing and in which order I should glue the individual struts together. hmmm.gif

Doing it I then came to the division in the true-to-scale sketch with the corresponding lengths of the rods and decided on the variant with three Vertical struts (2, 3, 4) decided, up047090.gif which ensures a better stability than the variant with two Cross struts (1).  

Since the vertical struts have the same length (5,5 mm) on all railings, I have cut 18 sticks for all eight railings using the Cutter chisel at the ruler stop. :whistle: 

sQxeAO.jpg

This was followed by the gradual gluing of the struts building the railing, for which I again used my tried and tested Clamping technique with the steel angle and the rulers. Due to the minimal contact surfaces between the struts, the adhesive application must be dosed carefully in order to avoid unsightly bonding with the base.  huh.gif

sGyA1a.jpg

In order to get halfway to the same distances between the struts, I have prepared suitable spacers, which have proven to be very helpful.  up046118.gif

kIuLyG.jpg

And this is what the first finished railing looks like, cool.gif

Z4Jfc0.jpg

which fits perfectly on the template 

7suVNW.jpg

and also goes well with the canister. up039822.gif

a8wcBo.jpg

I wanted to take advantage of the fresh routine and immediately scratched the second Railing (G-1),

Z4pNM1.jpg

which has worked just as well. :thumbsup: 

t4lqXc.jpg

However, all railings still need on their feet similar Holders as those on the Outriggers so that they can be erected and swung in as required. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

but since I want to stay in the exercise, I'll scratch the remaining Railings first. Then it's the turn of the holder brackets. cool.gif

Since the side struts are already cut off, these are the prepared struts for the two Railings G-2,

ZLTimD.jpg

which were glued in the same manner. up046118.gif

hTQA8y.jpg

oZoKqm.jpg

And now the remaining Railings G-3 and G-4 can follow. 

t9la89.jpg

Once you know how to do it and the dimensions are known, it's nearly child's play. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and thus for gluing the remaining two Handrail pairs, again using the proven method, cool.gif

here first Handrails G-3,

JyOwPB.jpg

geAVrR.jpg

and here Handrails G-4.

ihv7Ej.jpg

CurwZx.jpg

QvI6n6.jpg

And here is the obligatory test fitting atop the template that I like. up039822.gif

QQMgow.jpg

As already mentioned, however, all Handrails on the feet also need similar mounts like the Outriggers, so that they can be erected or folded up as required. :whistle:

And these are 18 pieces, which should become similarly tiny. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman