Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

This Miter tool, and your tutorial, looks superb!

I now realize that you're freelancing as a sales rep for RP Toolz! And you are earning your commission! The link you've provided to their site shows a nice variety of quality tools for us modellers ... Thank you!

I agree with you on the posture / lumbar issues ... my back did not work for the past month ... as a result of too much sitting and a 193 cm ( 6'4" ) frame!   :bandhead2:

Your progress is impressive Manfred, your attention to the finest details has not swayed in 10 years and it's still a pleasure to see and read a new post on this thread!  :yahoo:

Carry on with this incredible project!   :popcorn:

Pete

Thanks Pete for your refreshing words of praise. :worship:

You really must have a private eye for discovering this secret ... 00000016.gif I have to tell Peter Horwarth about it. :whistle:

Your sympathy comforts me. :coolio: My back keeps telling me that I used to sit too much at my desk as a scientist in the good old days ... Weinen

Bad tongues call this a desk criminal. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

after completion of the first 104 connecting pins it went now to the 2nd Round at which I've used the longer copper wires (Ø 0,4 mm). cool.gif

After testing the 0,6 mm thick Martor trapezoidal blade (L=52 mm), I've decided however again for the thinner Martor blade (0,25 mm) belonging to the cutter, which seems to me to be more suitable for cutting the wires due to its shorter length of 38 mm:thumbsup:

For this I've again put 10 wires close to each other and fixed them as a strand by using tape strips, 

JGoa4E.jpg

which I've then positioned on the cutter, whereby weighting down again the first bundle for the cut with the steel block as a hold-down. 

fEsfp8.jpg

And then it was cut successively by sliding the strand again and again, 

lRqHMA.jpg

which worked again without any problems until the last cut. :whistle: up035091.gif

With it another 150 pins have been cut now, 

uCmPVd.jpg

ST0zah.jpg

and then stowed away safely. :thumbsup2:

fjkIFe.jpg

But as one can see from the furrow along the cutting line of the blade, the cutting mat is already quite overused by this ordeal, which is why this inevitably arises the question of the lifetime of the mat with this heavy use. smiley215.gif:dontknow:

SkeFtM.jpg

That's why I have already considered whether a cutting plate made of Acrylic glass (Polymethylmethacrylate, PMMA) would make sense, which I had bought as pad for cutting photo-etched parts some time ago. hmmm.gif 

arnsV0.jpg

There were no problems with the test cut, it shortly made crack, and the wire was through! huh.gif

n2o48n.jpg

Since the blade of my little chisel cutter has reached the ripe old age of and has suffered quite a bit, rolleyes.gif I've found slightly wider blades at Martor and immediately ordered them together with the appropriate holder, 

3Rds6E.jpg

which of course I've tested on the acrylic glass pad on a 5 wire strand, but to my astonishment has failed. up037692.gif 

Although I've pressed down the new chisel cutter with all my might, :bandhead2: banghead.gif I haven't managed separating these 5 wire strand, which rather surprised me. crazy.gif:woot.gif: 

F5uzvZ.jpg

Obviously, when cutting with the Miter Cutter, by the principle of lever shears a significantly greater cutting force is  generated that is sufficient to cut the wire strand. smiley215.gif:hmmm:

Since I was interested in the length of time per pin in the single-cut method anyway, I then ran the stopwatch at 15 cuts on a single wire and came up with 90 seconds, which is 6 sec./pin corresponds. huh.gif

G5iADw.jpg

Then I made a suitable cutting mat made of acrylic glass for the Miter cutter, but which with 2,9 mm is slightly thicker than the original mat with 2,75 mm, although I was hoping that this could be arranged to fit by using the  blade's seat. hmmm.gif

P1I8C0.jpg

GZNHkh.jpg

But as one can see in the image, my hope has unfortunately not been fulfilled because the blade no longer lies flat on the pad. up043952.gif What such a few hundredths are making up ...  huh.gif

K4Wt1e.jpg

Therefore, before the 3rd Round the original cutter mat was inserted again and with it another 130 pins were cut, whereby I also determined the time. In doing so, I came to 210 seconds for 10 cuts of the 10 wire strand, which means 2 sec./pin and is much faster than the individual cuts, which was to be expected. up039822.gif 

Yx2PzD.jpg

This means that a longer round of squeezing & bending & cutting off is about to happen again soon. up040577.gifup040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

I remember marvelling at Rich O's machine-like patience when he built his crawler. Remember all those little triangular webs and sub-assemblies? This takes it to a whole new level. Keep up the fantastic work.

Kirk

PS/ Nice tip on using tablet storage for parts. Secure and small. Better go and see my doctor!!

Thanks Kirk for your nice words. :worship:

However, Rich had the big advantage that on his 1/72 scale all parts were twice as big. Therefore, he could also use normal small pins with head for the connecting pins (Ø 0,75 mm), but also needed double the number (approx. 900) because he inserted them from both sides :whistle:

BTW, if you're interested in another great project by him, then check out Launch 14 - Cooper's Rocketup040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanks for the link Manfred but, like many others, that's not a site I have anything to do with anymore. I hope Launch 14 is still progressing - Rich's models are fantastic. Do you know if he posts anywhere else?

As with your modelling, it's as much about the journey as the finished model/subcomponent. I hope you never run out of self-motivation. 🙂

I can understand your resentment, Kirk. :hmmm:

Rich also used to be on the NASASpaceflight forum https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ but since some time he's posting only on the UK forum. :rolleyes:

I've to go a long run yet, as you know, :nanner:but I have the goal clearly in mind :coolio: and still enjoy keeping on modeling. up040577.gif

"Indifference" would be a little more accurate than "resentment" but I appreciate the thought. ARC seems a little more grown-up place to hang out from a moderation perspective.

I have very little need of a cutter but keep getting tool envy every time I visit this page. Page 108 can't come too soon! 😄

Okay Kirk,

many English words are so ambiguous, and English is not my mother tongue, sorry if my choice of words did not interpret your feelings correctly. :worship:

My wife always says, be good to you as long as you have yourself yet. default_give_heart.gif

Stay tuned my friend, Page 108 is coming soon ... up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

somehow I must have lost track during my cutting orgy, shocked.gif because as I've discovered to my surprise, over 400 pins have been cut already so that I only still needed to cut two wires what was done in a trice on the back of the cutting mat. cool.gif

K8Xr5R.jpg

zrZh6e.jpg

So the remaining approx. 350 pins only have to be squeezed, bent and cut off, which will take a little bit longer ... :bandhead2:

9AcMpa.jpg

Nevertheless, how good that I have compared again. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

today squeezing & bending & cutting off were on the agenda again, whereby at first I was interested in a time check for this handling. cool.gif

For 5 pins I've needed 150 seconds, which corresponds to a time expenditure of 30 sec./pin. huh.gif

That would mean if I would squeeze, bend and cut off the remaining 350 pins, that would be doable without a break in approx. 3 h (175 min.) what is illusional, analintruder.gif especially since already after handling 20 pins under the headset magnifying glass the sweat is dripping off my forehead over the nose onto the floor, :gr_hail: not to mention the veto of my uptight back. :angry:

That's why this monotonous but strenuous work can only be managed step by step. hmmm.gif

Here at least 50 pins have already been handled and bunkered in the storeroom for the final cutting off to the final length (6 mm). :whistle:

Now only approx. 300 pins are waiting in the small bowl behind ... up037692.gif

IQOg7m.jpg

As I said, the squirrel has a hard time feeding itself ... eichhoernchen_13.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

it's of no use whether I postpone this ordeal until sometime, or now grit my teeth and bravely carry on, :bandhead2: especially since the inhibition threshold would be all the greater later. huh.gif

And since I'm tough, :whistle: I don't want to pretend tiredness, but get to work. :nanner:

As you can see, meanwhile I've already had a few more sessions and most recently I arrived at 120 pins. cool.gif

After I had squeezed, bent and cut off another 40 pins, :thumbsup:

ZFV2h9.jpg

I had to take off the headset magnifying glass and wipe the sweat off the glasses to keep the perspective. yikes.gif

JRa00N.jpg

With this step now I have reached 160 pins, up039822.gif

gCCEMD.jpg

but all of which have still to be cut to the final length (6 mm), but which I won't do until the end, when all the remaining 350 pins are squeezed, bent and cut and finally all 456 pins for the 8 Crawler chains are ready. up040577.gif

And that's why let's go on  ... :bandhead2:

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

unfortunately this game is not over yet. shrug.gif After another 40 pins and the 3rd sweat bead on the headset magnifying glass it was time to take a break and clean the glasses, :gr_hail:

OrBPcZ.jpg

as well as to safely stash the pins.  cool.gif

FBSbhu.jpg

So approx. 150 pins still remain and are waiting for their treatment.  :bandhead2:

5Ebm6i.jpg

One consolation remains for me, because there become fewer and fewer pins in the glas ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

to get a better overview of the remaining squeezing & bending and to increase my staying power,  :bandhead2: I've divided this confusing pile of pins in the glass into grouplets of 10, which I gradually have handled. smiley228.gif

IMFt7G.jpg

After these 40 pins I watched the Formula 1 Race in Bahrain.  smiley314.gif

Jk3S50.jpg

Then I've worked another 40 pins, and so now only remaining 7 grouplets. up039822.gif  

uT1CLU.jpg

The remainder of the 70 pins will be done tomorrow. up037311.gif

8m42Zy.jpg

And then the remaining 350 pins are just shortened to the final length of 6 mm up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and now let's come to the last squeezing & bending round, :bandhead2: it becomes time slowly too. cool.gif

In the first step it went down from 70 to 50 pins

mz7hWG.jpg

subsequently from 50 to 30 pins,

sam85w.jpg

then from 30 to 10 pins.

LqcMjA.jpg

And finally the long-awaited Countdown of the last grouplet was approaching: 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - Cut-off!!! yahoo.gif

9H6TeO.jpg

Hard to believe, but it's done, and so am I!!!  :whistle:

The battlefield is deserted and the pins are safely stowed away. huh.gif

XucSVM.jpg

Therewith the cutting of the pins to their final length of 6 mm can follow now, which then can be threaded into the Pin lugs of the Track shoes, which will finally result in the 8 Crawler chains. smiley228.gif:banana:

After careful consideration, I've decided not to shorten the pins using the Miter Cutter, but with the already tried and tested Single-cut method using the steel ruler angle. up045518.gif:thumbsup:

Nwte1q.jpg

And so it will go on soon, cool.gif

Z3b6qU.jpg

because 350 pins are already waiting for the final cut. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

now there are no longer even 350 pins that have to be shortened to the final length (6 mm), therefore I'll get ready to work. :banana:

K3EpuD.jpg

During the uninterrupted cutting of the 160 pins from the 2nd chamber, this time I no longer counted the pins, but only the beads of sweat ... :gr_hail:

8ZV9LV.jpg

And in the end there were about 15 when the chamber was finally empty and I was played out ... :bandhead2:

aLSlLP.jpg

And therewith back into the chamber with the finished 160 pins, with which now more than half of the 456 pins are done, the rest is waste. :thumbsup:

45EUTo.jpg

And the remaining 190 pins of the last two chambers, I'm going to do, maybe tomorrow. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

let's go into the last two rounds, then this stressful chapter is done.  cool.gif

This is the heap of 120,

DiO3Rl.jpg

which is half-finished here, 

9qcTl6.jpg

and is done here. :bandhead2:

543f5V.jpg

Then it was the turn of the small heap of 70,

Z8AUif.jpg

of which the last pin is waiting for the final cut. analintruder.gif

K4wq8D.jpg

And with that, the mammoth program was finally completed. Hipp, hipp - hurray!!! :yahoo:

E34W2D.jpg

And here everything is safely stowed in the box. :thumbsup:

uhBco4.jpg

At this point I want to take a look ahead of what is coming now. shocked.gif

And that is certainly a similarly stressful challenge, because now the 456 pins have to be threaded into the Pin lugs of the chain links, yikes.gif from which then the 8 Truck chains arise ... :whistle:

XypBMx.jpg

So there is still a lot of fiddling ahead of me, but that can't scare me! up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

I hope you found and looted all of the Easter nests, hasen-smilies-0016.gif and hope you didn't upset your stomach. huh.gif

My Easter bunny meant it particularly well for me and put 57 Track shoes in my nest ... :gr_hail:

k1Aabg.jpg

OMG, wherewith did I deserve this ... up040577.gif

With this in mind, Happy Easter for all of you! eier-faerben-smilies-0008.gif

Edited by spaceman