Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Thanks Kirk, :worship:

for the ladder I would still have had sympathy, :whistle:

togBkm.jpg

Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

but now you're slowly getting silly ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

39 years ago today, on April 4, 1983, the Challenger took off on its maiden flight (STS-6).  cool.gif

aRbSwX.jpg
Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

On this occasion, I would like to pop for an unscheduled birthday bonus and add another detail that no one has alluded to or pointed out before. 

It deals with this Ladder here on the side wall on the rear side of the Transporter, which is normally locked to the wall, but when loading and unloading of the Payload canister can be hung onto the wall so that the operators can also climb up. On the other side of the transporter there is probably also such a ladder, for example to connect the canister with the red hoses to the ECS Module on the front side. 

togBkm.jpg

For this I could, for example, use these ladders from Plastruct, which I already didn't particularly like because of their rough forging work that time on the MLP.  rolleyes.gif 

hSBudv.jpg

A Scratch build would look much better and more filigree, for which I used an Evergreen strip (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm) for the Side beams and my thinnest Rod (Ø 0,3 mm) for the Rungs. up039822.gif

As an adhesive, I initially tried the much-touted miracle glue from Tamiya (Extra Thin Cement), which is indeed very thin and has a pointed and flexible applicator, with which I dabbed fine droplets onto the adhesive dots and then situated the rungs with a little overhang, 

ZGILn0.jpg

which worked quite well. up045518.gif

4BZM1P.jpg

Now I just had to think about how I could glue the other beam to it after shortening the rungs ... hmmm.gif

Ys1ZE9.jpg

Since the gluing cannot be done flat on the pad, otherwise the ladder would stick to it, I had to come up with a special jig again, which I fiddled around for a while. idea1_2.gif

This consists of a Styrene pad (0,5 mm), on the front edge of which I have glued two short side stops for the Ladder beam, which was fixed from behind by a ruler with magnets. To fix the other beam, I prepared two small Holders on pads of the same thickness, into which the beam could be inserted upright, which means that it, like the ladder, had a safety distance of 0,5 mm from the pad so that nothing could be glued. cool.gif

TZ3jss.jpg

Then these two holders with the clamped beam were pushed forward until it touched the rungs, which were then brushed with Methylethylketone (MEK) and thus glued together. A strip (0,5 mm x 1 mm) was placed underneath as a lower support for any height corrections of the rungs. 

xVoWhU.jpg

And with that the ladder was glued, the beams of which were then only shortened to the final length. Next to it are the individual parts of the multi-part Gluing jig,

1DnNAX.jpg

and here both ladders for comparison, which clearly speaks for the Scratch variant:thumbsup: 

YxZzN5.jpg

This was followed by a first test fitting of the ladder, first on the side wall, 

nFeY6b.jpg

and here standing against the wall, like in the reference image at the beginning. 

tJcYTj.jpg

As a precaution, I'll save myself the final assembly of the ladder on the wall for the time being, so that something else doesn't happen, especially since the Payload Canister is still missing anyway. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

since I was in practice once and knew how to do it, I immediately scratched the second ladder. cool.gif

lvbvR6.jpg

The gluing jig has also proven itself this time too, :whistle:

m7MXQC.jpg

and hence the second ladder was quickly completed as well. up039822.gif

vLY61f.jpg

For attaching the ladder to the side wall, I used this KAMAG photo as a guide. 

00pp0098-m.jpg
Source: mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov

For mounting the ladder on the wall, I used these thin and narrow Strips (0,2 mm x 0,3 mm) from an ABER PE plate (Ship railings) and bent into small hooks. 

kfR934.jpg

Ky17gL.jpg

Then I drilled two small holes (Ø 0,3 mm) in the wall and inserted the hooks. 

VzJVd5.jpg

Then the ladder could be hung up, 

LUzwHI.jpg

with what the transporter would now be equipped on one side.

3WTjJP.jpg

Now only the two hooks for the ladder on the other wall are missing.  up040577.gif 

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

to finally complete the transporter, I've also attached the second set of Windscreen wipers to the Driver's cabin on the back side, for what I also came up with an improved handling. This could perhaps be interesting for one or the other who might want to glue such tiny and thin parts together too. cool.gif

Especially since grasping of the windscreen wiper with the wiper blade pointing downwards is not that easy with my Tape Adhesive Applicator, huh.gif

sKtRFE.jpg

this time, before gluing, I picked up the wiper in this position with a wider pair of tweezers and held the tweezers in a clamp, so that it were ready to hand after dabbing the CA droplet onto the holder. up039822.gif

Kg3EEC.jpg

In this position I was able to safely pick up the tweezers with the clamped wiper and to set it down on the glued area with a steady hand,

csw2Dv.jpg

whereby a spacer was placed underneath, which then all worked well together. up045518.gif

5Sv3PK.jpg

And then it was the turn of the second wiper, 

P9yYIf.jpg

which worked just as well. 

HHtGwc.jpg

Then the overhangs of the holders were cut off, 

DJNQ5o.jpg

and the holder strip with the pair of wipers was glued onto the driver's cab. 

ltyFBx.jpg

nKU0ov.jpg

With that the Transporter is now complete and ready to go, and so I can move on to the Payload Canister,  

up076197.jpg

which is sure to become a very interesting sub-project too. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

This page is wonderful in its display of very tiny solutions. The Extinguishers, the Ladders and the Wipers ... I'm looking forward to the Canister itself as well as those BIG Air Conditioning lines.

Your creativity in making these jigs and producing lovely little items is most impressive, Manfred!

Keep up those mental energy levels!

Pete  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Pete for your nice response, which gives me further encouragement. :Verehrung:

Well, these little details breathe real life into the transporter, Rear-view mirrors were still also included ... :Pfeife:

Yep, and the following Payload Canister is a very interesting special container with a bunch of tricky details. up045518.gif 

W2zCEZ.jpg

Source: NASA Conference Publication 2342 Part 2 (M. E. Donahue)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37640.0;attach=832703;image

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (STS-9)

BTW, the Red hoses I've already gotten in our new craft shop that has moved from Stuttgart to Filderstadt:whistle:

7LKNwD.jpg

Rx732E.jpg

Every now and then one should have a little bit of luck! :yahoo: 

Hopefully you still have enough popcorn on the side :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: ...

Otherwise get a refill, better you have than you would have ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

well, imagine that the Transporter drove with the Payload Canister together with the payload inside to the Launch Pad, so that the payload via the RSS Payload Bay can bee loaded into the Payload Changeout Room (PCR). From there it will sometime be loaded back into the Space shuttle for the next mission. cool.gif  

With this in mind, for a change, let's take a look at an original photo of my friend, James MacLaren, who shows for fun an interesting photo montage of the launch pad on his Launch Complex 39-B Website p. 46, on which he mounted the Columbia (STS-3) in those position in the RSS Payload Bay, in which the orbiter sits exactly where it is, after the RSS has pivoted into the so-called Demate Position on the MLP for loading the payload. up039822.gif

047%20Morning%20Towers%20From%20Crawlerw
Source: 16streets.com (James MacLaren)

In my opinion, this photo montage provides a clear and very interesting size comparison, even the position of the orbiter is not 100% correct.  up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanks Bruce for looking in on me again, :worship:

just be patient! :popcorn: Nothing is impossible when you are tougher than the rest ... :banana:

So stay tuned and let yourself be surprised, and at some point you'll fly across the pond when I'll say, now it's time for the Take-off ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and so now back to the Payload Canister, which I had already started in February, and for which I had already constructed a Paper Kit in my  Reply posted January 22 before I started with the Transporter, which is now finished and waiting for the canister. cool.gif

up075933.jpg

In the meantime I have further modified this canister shell and first attached the NASA Worm logos to all sides. up045518.gif

cC4Mgc.jpg

Then I tried with the help of various photos to get an overview of the canister details , of which there are quite a number, such as various Ladders and Railings, bizarre Rod linkages, Mounts, Struts and Hinges with what the Canister Payload Bay Doors let open and lock, as well as various Panels and Doors, analintruder.gif

W2zCEZ.jpg  
Source: NASA Conference Publication 2342 Part 2 (M. E. Donahue)

which can be seen more clearly in these zoomed photos. up039822.gif

2009-2775-m.jpg

Source: NASA (STS-124)

2011-4423-m.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-135)

Since the construction of the canisters remained almost unchanged during the Shuttle program, these details were also present on the canisters of the first missions and are therefore relevant for scratching. 

Since I have certain reservations regarding attaching those tiny details onto a canister made of paper I'm thinking about the possibility of scratching the canister out of a thin Styrene sheet (0,1 mm), which then could be printed with the finest details, as long as my Canon printer would be able to do it, which should at least be worth a try. hmmm.gif

Has anyone of you tried it before? shrug.gif

But since one can print onto Decal Foil too, it should work somehow, I hope so. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Manfred,

The transporter is beautiful.  All the details you've added are really making it come to life.  I love the wipers you made.  I'm learning a lot about the shuttle program following your build.  I can't wait to see what you do with the canister.

Mike.  

Thanks Mike for looking in on me again. :worship:

It's great that you're also interested in something more than just pure modelling. :thumbsup: Then we have the same interests, always learning something new about this unique Shuttle technology and learning to understand something better. :whistle:

Yeah, the Payload Canister is indeed a highly interesting artifact of engineering. The ingenious Door latch mechanism for opening and locking the Payload Bay Doors alone is incredibly well thought out. up039822.gif 

It can be actuated from either end of the door by a torque tube that runs the length of the door. As a latch is locked utilizing an over-center mechanism, the torque is transferred to the next latch until all seven latches on the door are locked. Source: NASA Conference Publication 2342 Part 2 (M. E. Donahue)

I want to try to indicate this Door latch mechanism, but I want to take the wind out of the sails of all enthusiasts right away, it doesn't have to work. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everyone on Easter Sunday,

before I'll try then to print out the parts for the Payload Canister on a thin Evergreen Sheet Styrene (0,13 mm), :hmmm:

bjSNz5.jpg

I want to try gluing my Paper Kit together first to get a feel for the size of the canister. cool.gif

But as soon as I cut out and folded the folds on the curves of the front and back wall, I quickly noticed that handling this unstable paper sleeve is anything but easy, let alone when gluing it ... up037312.gif Somewhat thicker paper would certainly be better suited for this. rolleyes.gif

cC4Mgc.jpg

That's why I changed my plan and removed the folds on the curves. Instead, I will use Balsa parts (2 mm) for stabilization, which will also serve as an adhesive edge for the Payload Bay Doors.  up039822.gif 

fqvqGQ.jpg

For the same reason I will then also stiffen the bottom and side walls with Balsa in the hope that this will make the canister more stable. up045518.gif

6b5VIc.jpg

SrfA6B.jpg

So much for today with my first preparations. up040577.gif

Now I wish everyone further smilie_oster_031.gif 

Edited by spaceman

I trust you had a wonderful Easter, Manfred!

For the Canister, does it go into the Payload Bay curved side down, to fit the curved bottom of the Payload Bay? And once it has delivered its Payload, eg, Satellite, do the doors of the Canister  ... oh never mind.

I know you'll describe how it actually works in a post or two! But I am curious ... !

Thanx Manfred!  ;^ D

Pete

Thanks Pete, :worship:

I hope you found a nest full of Easter eggs too. hasen-smilies-0016.gif

Hey my friend, now you're pulling my leg. :rofl: You know exactly how the Payload Canister gets into the Payload Bay of the RSS to deliver the payload into the Payload Changeout Room (PCR), when I think of your awesome Challenger (STS-41C) model with the LDEF payload. up039822.gif

It only gets really interesting in the PCR after the Payload Bay Doors are opened, when the payload is picked up by the huge Payload Ground Handling Mechanism (PGHM) for preparing its later installation into the Shuttle Orbiter. It's a 5-story-tall platform that rolls in the Orbiter z direction. :woot.gif: 

6vztCv.jpg

Source: capcomespace.net

Just as an example for the curious to get a better idea of this monster mechanism. This was the first Starboard truss segment S1 for the ISS prepared for Atlantis' STS-112 mission in the PGHMup037692.gif

02pd1288-m.jpg

Source:  mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov 

So please be patient, I will still give some interesting detailed information about the canister. Let yourself be surprised. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Oh dear ... I really didn't know!

I always made the assumption that the Payload was installed into the Payload Bay in the Vehicle Assembly Building. So this aspect of your build Manfred, with the Transporter and the Canister are completely NEW to me! And rather than do my searching for this hardware, I'm learning from your magnificent, highly detailed and informative build.

No leg pulling!  ;- D

Pete  :popcorn:

Well, that surprises me now, Pete,  but I'm believing you, and on the other hand, an excellent model builder like you doesn't have to know everything, :rofl: but this ingenious technology fascinates me and arouses my curiosity. cool.gif

BTW, Space Shuttle Payload processing takes place in a wide number of facilities at KSC and requires special Support equipment for the various payloads, as can be seen in this image. 

Yl4lFH.jpg

Source: NASA, Space Shuttle News Reference

Payloads will be installed in the Orbiter either horizontally in the Orbiter Processing Facility (OPF) or vertically at the Pad after they were verified at the Vertical Processing Facility (VPF). Payloads to be installed vertically consist primarily of automated spacecraft involving upper stages and operations too hazardous to be performed in the OPF.

This photo inside the VPF shows NASA's TDRS Satellite which was transported into space by Challenger during the STS-6 mission. 

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33194.0;attach=551049;image

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Ares67)

I hope this can help for better understanding. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

but as is so often the case, the devil is in the detail, analintruder.gif whereby I take it usually very exactly, sometimes also too exact, up040472.gif but what the heck. :whistle:

And so, looking at original photos, I've noticed certain differences in the top curves of the front and back of the Payload Canister. huh.gif 

I was surprised by this photo here at the beginning of the shuttle program, where one can see these strange ("earlike") can see extensions similar in shape to the orbiter's OMS pods, meaning the "humps" (Orbital Maneuvering Systems) found on either side of the shuttle's tail are, which initially has irritated me quite a bit. up037312.gif

ao4uwJ.jpg
Source: Orbiter Payload Canisters (HEAR NO. FL-8-11-I)

This photo comes from a very interesting source that I unfortunately came across only recently, late but not too late! up045518.gif

In this documentation is described, among other things, that these originally designed "ear-like" extensions at the end of the canister, called "mouse ears" by the staff, :rofl: had been removed already at both canisters at the start of the shuttle program, which put my mind at rest. cool.gif 

In order to find out more and to be on the safe side, I looked again for STS-6 photos, specifically to take a closer look at these curves on the front and back, especially since their shape deviates from the semicircular shape of the Payload Bay of the canister, which can only be seen on closer inspection in the following photos of the STS-6 canister. undecided.gif

This photo from the Vertical Processing Facility (VPF) shows the opened Payload Canister with NASA's TDRS satellite, transported into space by Challenger during the STS-6 mission. up045518.gif

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33194.0;
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Ares67, STS-6)

On this image section I have circled the passages that are meant. On it you can see that the outer bulges of the front wall (Forward Bulkhead) protrude slightly over the curve of the Payload Bay, but in any case they did not have any protruding "mouse ears". up045518.gif

SesfYu.jpg

This photo shows the opposite back side (Aft Bulkhead) of the canister, where one can clearly see that these bulges are more pronounced. 

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33194.0;
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Ares67, STS-6)

A distinctive feature of this side, with which one can easily distinguish it from the front wall, is the tail (Spike), which again mimics the shuttle, which contains the upper door seal control panel

9ybwdZ.jpg

With this side the canister is standing in the upright transport position (Vertical Transport Mode) on the transporter as can be seen in this image. 

d0ChjA.jpg

Since the Payload Bay Doors are not flush with the prepared balsa parts of the front and back wall, I cannot glue the cover of my Paper Kit onto it as previously planned, which is why I will inevitably have to modify these parts and the construction of the canister somewhat. rolleyes.gif

So let's see what can be done. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

as can be seen in the last photos, the front and back of the Payload Canister differ in shape, albeit only slightly, at least they are not identical. cool.gif

The most reliable template for the back (Aft Bulkhead) of the canister with the spike is shown in this photo which comes from the STS-9,  up045518.gif

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37640.0;
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Ares67, STS-9)

as is this photo of the front (Forward Bulkhead), whose outline isn't quite as evenly rounded as one can see here. huh.gif

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37640.0;
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Ares67, STS-9)

The outlines of both sides I've drawn and cut out on Balsa (2 mm), as well as the Payload Bay Doors, which are rounded semicircularly. These parts are each glued onto the front and back and serve as an adhesive edge for the outer shell of the doors. up039822.gif

A9hvKy.jpg

After I had cut out the recesses for the side walls of the canister from the door supports,

k2ilXy.jpg

I've put the parts that belong together on top of each other, which makes the different curves of the front and back even clearer.

UHTApo.jpg

And then I've put the parts together to form the canister, which should be stable, and looks pretty neat. :whistle:

j0Vvx3.jpg

Next I will now try to print these parts on an Evergreen Sheet Styrene (0,13mm) in the hope that it will work, :thumbsup2: then we'll see. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman