Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello everybody,

the gluing of the small blocks for cladding the sides of the Door Latches (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm x 1,0 mm) was done on a steel ruler precautionally. cool.gif

First, two short strips (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm) were glued onto the base strip (0,13 mm) with MEK

7YXmGh.jpg

bFA7Ou.jpg

Then the two strips and afterwards also the base strip were cut off, 

kCxn5p.jpg

bFBZpM.jpg

and the seven Latch plates were made in the same way.

mIz2Dn.jpg

Next followed the gluing of the base plates with the rod, as well as gluing on the Swivel latches.

AM8KVU.jpg

x5FBxj.jpg

After the Latch strand was completely glued, 

7Gjigx.jpg

a test fitting on the canister was carried out which was fine so far as.  

8RjWqJ.jpg

When gluing the Latch strand onto the canister, I was able to use my experience in gluing the SSWS pipe supports to the MLP, when I ascertained at the time that one can also glue plastic with paper by using MEK, which I tried again to be on the safe side, as can be seen here at the glued Styrene snippet. up046118.gif

JXsVI0.jpg

The general advantage of gluing with MEK is based to its creeping ability, that one can position the part to be glued in place beforehand and that one needs only to brush its outer contour with MEK, what is completely sufficient and was the ideal solution for gluing the Latch strand onto the canister. up039822.gif

After I had fixed the strand on the canister with tape strips and aligned it precisely, I first brushed all seven Latch plates with MEK one after the other, and then also the rod sections in between, whereby the MEK evaporates instantly without leaving any residue. :whistle:

nuzIMt.jpg

Next I want to scratch the thin tube (Ø 0,5 mm) with the three Door Pull-down Latches

VBsQd5.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-132)

and glue it onto the Port Side Door,

FbM16o.jpg

which should be quite tricky because the parts are so tiny and thin. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

With the greatest of respect Manfred, isn't "so-tiny-and-thin" your middle name? 😄 Surely it's just a matter of time before microscopic styrene pieces bend and stick to your commands? You'll be trying to make out you find it difficult next...

:worship:

Thanks Kirk for making a funny middle name for me, :worship: that hits the nail on the head! :banghead:

... difficult ... That's it what I always try to convince you guys, finally believe it! :yahoo:

Joking aside, these are really areas beyond good and evil, :woot.gif: in boxing one would say: Below the waistline! s-sport-boxer02.gif

Sorry, but I can't stop trying to make the impossible possible, all just for fun! up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

and so now to this thin tube (Ø 0,5 mm) on the Port Side Door with the three tricky Door Pull-down Latches. cool.gif

As one can see, with the diameters the associated parts are getting smaller and thinner too, wherewith I inevitably reach the limits of what is feasible when scratching in my scale (1:160), wherefore I have to lower my sights regarding the attention to detail a little bit. rolleyes.gif

The pipe itself is not a problem with Ø 0,5 mm, but at first glance the four Mounting Clamps with Ø 0,15 mm seem hardly be representable at least of plastic and difficult to assemble, as well as the rod systems of the three Pull-down Latches. up037312.gif

ckdd4D.jpg

But don't be frightened! Well begun is half done. up046118.gif

The following image shows the dimensions of the individual parts determined for scratching,  

isxcic.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-114)

at whose sight I was quite disillusioned, because I immediately realized that I might have to leave out some of the tiny details. hmmm.gif

First I made the markings for the four clamps on the Evergreen rod (Ø 0,5 mm).

lHvuG1.jpg

At the same time I've thought about what material I could scratch the clamps (Ø 0,15 mm) out of. However, since such a diameter made of plastic does not exist in hobbyist supplies, I had to come up with something, idea1_2.gif and have immediately thought of hand broom hairs, which luckily have a similar diameter.

However, a first attempt by winding such a hair around a pin quickly proved to be unsuitable, since I would then have to glue tiny curls, which would degenerate into a hopeless disaster and I therefore rejected it. up037312.gif

i9A2fM.jpg

So it would make sense to bend the broom hair around the rod before gluing it, 

PyKdZH.jpg

or even better, to stick it to the rod with Pattex Superglue before bending and bend both ends after fixing them beforehand. 

jlha0n.jpg

In this state it should be possible to carefully glue the rounded clamp onto the rod with MEK, after which the overhangs could then be trimmed off flush, which worked, as one can see here. up039822.gif

ILiobP.jpg

And this is how I proceeded: up046118.gif

- Gluing the clamp sections with UHU-CA,

0vqgon.jpg

- Turning around of the rod and pinching the overhang under the ruler, as well as bending up the other side of the overhangs and gluing the curves with MEK,

JyJ8tW.jpg

- Bending over of the overhangs and gluing with MEK,

AkiyZq.jpg

- Fixing of the overhangs with tape and flush cutting with a razor blade,

ifU3MX.jpg

PDzRfA.jpg

- Removing of the ruler and trimming off the remaining overhangs, wherewith the rod with the four Mounting Clamps was completed.

gqVjFE.jpg

- Fixing of the finished rod with tape onto the Port Side Door and carefully gluing with MEK

twUK8j.jpg

wherewith the first step was done. cool.gif

vJ6eJH.jpg

Even if the tiny clamps are barely visible, I know that they are there, and exactly as I imagined. :whistle:

vRzo7B.jpg

Now only the Rod systems are missing, which one can see on this image, 

BHZNow.jpg

whereby some of them are so tiny that they have to be simplified a bit. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hi Kirk,

the caliper rule is incorruptible and still shows the same size of my favorite. :whistle:

74HsBA.jpg 

Therefore I come back again to the old saying in the Bible: Blessed are those who do not see and yet believe.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and thus to the leverage system of the Door Pull-down Latches. cool.gif

G7mT5C.jpg

The tiny Link joint (0,4 mm x 1 mm)  is connected at the rear end with a short Joint rod (Ø 0,3 mm x 0,5 mm), which is sitting in a bracket, and at the front via a Lever arm (0,15 mm x 4 mm) with the long tube of the Port Side Door.

Since such short parts can hardly be handled and glued, up037312.gif one has to start with longer parts, 

4J7hFk.jpg

and can only carefully cut them to the final lengths after the glue has dried.

JeSCeY.jpg

And that is what it looks like, if it is successful. up046118.gif

fcYWFp.jpg

JDoGz7.jpg

The rear mount of the Joint rod is also articulated mounted, but so tiny that I could only indicate it with greatly simplified parts. hmmm.gif

hSESRX.jpg

The gluing of these tiny things was done with different glues and was the expected stressful matter, smiley_crazy.gif  

ZLj3bn.jpg

where to my horror one of the three Link joints jumped out of the tweezers and couldn't be found anymore, up037692.gif which is why I had to scratch it once more. up043952.gif

yZNo7w.jpg

But with that, these three rod systems are done and in place, although they can hardly be seen. huh.gif

fhzPbS.jpg

On the opposite Starboard Side Door there is still this small Leverage,

kXCdBS.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-135)

which is connected to the end of the Torque Tube

GBQxJs.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-124)

what I would like to try at least. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

while I was looking at this image, I noticed this long steel cable to the right of the Torque tube, cool.gif which is attached by a hinge to a strut and runs across the entire Starboard Side Door

5aONwe.jpg

where it is locked in a bracket. 

xmTEjZ.jpg

At first I couldn't explain the meaning and purpose of this steel cable, but I want to try to find out somehow. Maybe someone of you knows wherefore it is good for ... hmmm.gif

And then it was down to business, because these linkage is really tiny. :woot.gif:

For the left part of the linkage, which is connected to the end of the Torque tube, I cut narrow strips of Styrene (0,13 mm)

mFUlbW.jpg

which I glued onto both sides of a rod (Ø 0,25 mm x 2,5 mm)  to this small fork as the right part, which then were reduced to approx. 1,5 mm which was quite stressful to handle. up037312.gif This tiny part was so light that it stayed stuck to the tweezers for the photo. up039822.gif

Vk8Gbl.jpg

The joint of the strut attached to the rod I indicated with a tiny eyelet made of Lead wire (Ø 0,3 mm), which I 'rolled flat' by twisting back and forth under a steel ruler to Ø 0,2 mm, wherefore some preliminary tests were required. huh.gif

C3ovfX.jpg

cFeggx.jpg

The final eyelet then looked like this, 

lSHQKQ.jpg

which I threaded and glued onto the rod in a rather hairy action. up046885.gif

oaUO0T.jpg

Zhl72w.jpg

Then I carefully glued the linkage onto the door with CA/MEK

AX2tFM.jpg

and let everything dry. huh.gif

3SCjPM.jpg

Next comes the lateral strut, which reaches from the rod joint (eyelet) to the attachment point of the steel cable. up040577.gif 

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

meanwhile I found out what this steel rope was all about, which sometimes sagged down a bit, like in this image. cool.gif

KSC-00pp0353~medium.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-101)

And if I'm interested in a technical detail like that, then, as is well known, I get to the bottom of it. And through my Swedish friend David from NSF (DaveS) I met a member of the then Can Crew whose explanation is as amazing as it is simple. up046118.gif

"That cable what we tied off to for fall protection when we walked down the door in the horizontal configuration to verify the latch’s we’re closed properly prior to ratcheting into the closed position." up039822.gif

After all, the Transporter with the Canister had a height of approx. 28 ft, and from there one shouldn't necessarily be able to fall off it. up040577.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

in a time full of interesting soccer games, I want to get back to you quickly so that I don't lose the thread myself and get completely out of step. cool.gif

I'm still dancing around on the Payload Bay Doors without a Safety rope, up037312.gif what needs to change immediately. But these mini-struts took me some lot of effort, which is why I finally wanted to get this over with. rolleyes.gif

From this perspective als well as at high resolution, one can still see the details best. 

f4aDT7.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-114)

On the one hand there is the lateral strut already discussed next to the rope holder, which I tried my hand at first and even managed the small wire to be inserted between the rope holder and the turnbuckle, made of a tiny lead wire (Ø 0,2 mm x 0,5 mm), but please don't ask me how ... :woot.gif: The result is already invisible to the naked eye, but I know, as always, that it's there ... :whistle:

Now only the rope sling is missing, to which the rope will later be attached. 

xSs9zJ.jpg

And here this strut made of Styrene (0,13 mm) is now mounted, which one can just barely make out. up039822.gif

o8Vj7h.jpg

The thin wires ordered for this have also arrived in the meantime. The upper roll is the steel wire (Ø 0,1mm) shipped from China, and below are two NiCr wires (Ø 0,1mm/0,2mm) - Made in Germany.

HWpKNh.jpg

I proceeded in the same way for the rope holder and the turnbuckle on the other side. 

This time I glued a short NiCr wire (Ø 0,2 mm) between the two Styrene strips of the holder. The overhangs of the parts that are needed for handling are important. 

JO1yz8.jpg

7d8Ctg.jpg

For the turnbuckle I prepared a Styrene rod (0,4 mm x 0,4 mm), using an Evergreen strip (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm).

urdABN.jpg

The shortening of the connecting wire between the bracket and turnbuckle to approx. 0,8 mm was a delicate procedure, for which backup tapes were helpful so that nothing could fly away. :gr_hail:

ZLM7wg.jpg

Bending the loop of rope from NiCr (Ø 0,2 mm) into a small eyelet was a stressful fiddling too, up046885.gif but finally worked after a few tries,

yp1B7P.jpg

as well as the gluing on the turnbuckle.  http://www.raumfahrer.net/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/up045518.gif

KtmBT9.jpg

And then the same procedure again on the other side. 

xjpwrU.jpg

TLmH4C.jpg

P8NnhQ.jpg

The rope is only glued in later so that it is not damaged when assembling the small parts that are still missing. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

here the Safety rope made of NiCr wire (Ø 0,2 mm) has been put on at least as a test. cool.gif 

udVfVJ.jpg

With gluing the cable onto the door, I will wait until the upper linkages of the Door Actuators are glued onto both doors, 

J8CBiM.jpg

io0AEH.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-125)

which I have now planned, but for which I first had to determine various dimensions again. 

hl9Pkd.jpg

In the closed state of the doors these linkages are folded and are only folded out to support the opened doors, as can be seen in this image. 

up077629.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-101)

As one can see from the small dimensions, it's again about tiny parts, whereby the two outer sickle-shaped holders seem particularly tricky, whose shape I first drew in order to create a corresponding template for scratching. up046118.gif

As one can see in this image, these holders are extremely narrow at < 1 mm and also very thin (0,13 mm), which are probably difficult to handle.  up037312.gif 

On the upper Evergreen Styrene Strip (0,13 mm) the contour is pre-drawn and the lower bow has already been cut out, which was still reasonably easy to do.

boJq0Y.jpg

7vw4zR.jpg

Cutting out the upper contour, on the other hand, will become a stressful affair, up046933.gif because one can hardly hold tight this narrow sickle in the tweezers. :woot.gif: 

X9zCr0.jpg

For gluing the linkages between the lateral holders I thought about a Balsa jig, idea1_2.gif the top of which I filed to match this lower contour. up039822.gif

At10Y5.jpg

It doesn't matter how, but first I need a total of 8 such holders for both doors. That's why I transferred the lower contour 8 x to a Styrene strip,

tExXCA.jpg

and carefully cut out with nail scissors. And I now have to transfer the upper contour to these parts and cut them out, file them out, or whatever ... :dontknow:

ExVPzc.jpg

Maybe it will be advisable, to glue the sickles to a bulged Styrene strip, 

jzYTBA.jpg

then glue in the linkage parts and then glue the holders made in this way onto the doors. hmmm.gif

It may all still sound pretty bold and adventurous, but somehow I'll be succeeding already ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

after carefully cutting out the holder, up046933.gif I held it in tweezers and carefully smoothened it for a while at the top side with my finest TAMIYA Diamond file for photo-etched parts, measured its height again and again and compared the contours with the STS-132 -Photo, cool.gif

417mmSsqsWL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Source: amazon.de

until I was halfway satisfied with this prototype, which differs pleasantly from my first guinea pig (above). up039822.gif

HNRd6U.jpg

In order to make my work easier when making the remaining 7 holders, I've bored a small hole (Ø 0,3 mm) at the location of the upper leverage axis, which I can now transfer to the rest of the holders and then pre-drill, which will hopefully make marking the upper contour easier. hmmm.gif 

So far for the theory, let's see if it works like that. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

since the one-off production in this way is a bit too tricky and time consuming and the shape of the parts is also not very reproducible, huh.gif 

rcEIwr.jpg

e0xxPv.jpg

lf2eiq.jpg

A7MgTb.jpg

I switched to a kind of small series production. cool.gif To do this, I drilled through a strip at the linkage axis (Ø 0,3 mm) and then this strip with 7 other strips, with the lower contour cut out,  as well superimposed as possible and clamped in scissor tweezers.

Then I carefully drilled through the entire bundle and pushed a steel wire (Ø 0,3 mm) through the hole, whereby the bundle is at least fixed to the rod axis. up039822.gif

Then I smoothed the bundle a bit on the underside and on both ends to compensate for small differences and to set a uniform length of 11 mm.  

KU9HeY.jpg

And as one can see on this image, the bundle fits well to the curve of the Balsa jig and hopefully also later on the canister doors.up046118.gif

i9OGw2.jpg

Now I can take the bundle apart again and trace the upper contours individually, huh.gif whereby the position of the stripes is fixed by the wire. Then the upper contours are cut out one by one as close as possible, up046933.gif and put the bundle back together. 

Then I'll try to smoothen this narrow bundle to an even shape at the top and hope I can do that. up040577.gif

Good morning everybody,

and I proceeded in exactly the same way and drew the upper contours of the individual sickles one after the other using my original form on the remaining 7 Styrene Sheets (0,13 mm), cool.gif

tkgVbF.jpg

whereby the original form always has been fixed by the steel wire (Ø 0,3 mm) and by a tape strip on a Balsa plate.

3LN4Oc.jpg

Then I've carefully cut out the top sides of the sickles with the nail scissors as close to the contour as possible, up046933.gif which was a very tedious and stressful affair, since the part had to be re-clamped several times in the scissor tweezers, which meant that the strip that was accessible became narrower and narrower. rolleyes.gif

uthgFs.jpg

Then I threaded all the sickles on the wire in reverse order, whereby my original form (1) came to lay at the front position. 

YjMkHU.jpg

All my subsequent attempts to evenly trim this aligned, narrow bundle on the top were ultimately unsuccessful, despite all efforts to clamp and fix it somehow, up037312.gif which is why I unfortunately had to give up this approach. hmmm.gif

JJp8AB.jpg

Instead, I started by smoothing each of the 7 sickles individually at the top side to the shape of the original form in front of me, :whistle:

UXe06p.jpg

for what I held them in different positions in the tweezers and worked the upper contour with different files for so long, huh.gif

ZOqD8J.jpg

until I was reasonably satisfied with their shape and almost a twin had been formed. up039822.gif

XDxFNQ.jpg

I then put the first pair of twins on a Styrene rod (Ø 0,3 mm) as a rod axis

PRcYVP.jpg

and immediately tried a test fitting on the canister, which looked quite promising, 

X7Yw01.jpg

which gives me courage to work on the remaining sickles in the same way, so that I end up with 4 pairs of twins for the Door Actuators on the doors. up046118.gif

So far for today. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

before I turn towards the remaining sickles, I took a closer look at the linkages of the upper Door Actuators and thought about how and from what I could best scratch these filigree individual parts, whereby it is always important for me to understand the interaction of the components of an assembly and their function to some extent. cool.gif

And for this it is always worth looking at detailed photos with high resolution from different perspectives, like this one here of the upper linkage in the folded state, which I want to reproduce, 

U8y5tp.jpg

as well as here in the unfolded state, in which one can see some details on the two rotary axes more clearly. 

After a close look at the linkage, its lower part seems to be a coherent strut construction, which I have marked in blue, 

pYQe9m.jpg

which this photo in the zoom also seems to confirm. up046118.gif The longer support strut lies on top of it, which is rotatably mounted at the upper end between the side parts. 

xMVbN9.jpg

Before opening the doors, both linkages of the door drives are folded out and screwed together, thus forming their upper supports, which are taken up by the drives on the canister walls on which the opened doors rest.

For replicating the individual parts this photo of the STS-125 is ideal suitable, on which I determined the dimensions of the most important parts and immediately searched for suitable material in my inventory. up039822.gif

LGRSyY.jpg

I started with the lower rotary axis, for which I used an Evergreen strip (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm), on which the four struts are attached, which are probably welded together to a kind of a fork. hmmm.gif 

Then I glued the upper rotary axis on one side with MEK, adjusted the distance between the two sickles with a suitable spacer (3 mm)

4U4zz0.jpg

and then glued the axle on the other side as well, 

p4UubJ.jpg

and separated its overhang. 

For the longer rod attached to the upper axis of rotation, I first glued a rod (Ø 0,25 mm) onto a small styrene triangle (0,13 mm), which is not entirely correct since the bar actually sits between the triangles. rolleyes.gif

aoK6TC.jpg

For the struts of the small fork, I first used Evergreen Strips (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm)

1shtJI.jpg

But when I had laid on the longer rod and compared this thing with the filigree structure of the side parts (0,13 mm),

qJgKtv.jpg

I saw that the proportions couldn't be right, which didn't convince me overall and therefore couldn't stay like this. nono.gif

pAMcKr.jpg

So I measured all the dimensions again more precisely, after which I used a rod (Ø 0,3 mm) and ground off the Evergreen strips (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm) for the struts between two cosmetic polishing files to a thickness of approx. 0,15 mm, up037312.gif what should then match better with the sickles. 

Then I also had the daring idea up047090.gif to glue the rod between the triangles, that only had a usable side length for clamping of about 1,5 mm, which is why I was rather skeptical about being able to glue them accurately to the rod. hmmm.gif

f2X9Xh.jpg

But that was too much of a good thing, which is why I remembered to another solution, idea1_2.gif which I have used already successfully in such cases several times, namely with the MLP-SSWS-Pipes, and most recently also with the Crawler Gear Boxes. up046118.gif

up053176.jpg

OMG, that was already 6 years ago ... up037692.gif

So I've cut narrow Styrene strips (0,13 mm) with the height of these triangles (1,2 mm) and glued them from both sides onto the rod (Ø 0,3 mm), which could still be done with appropriate fixation, 

fy8Qrx.jpg

and with the necessary patience and caution. :whistle:

NBUmCe.jpg

Here's a comparison of both variants, whereby one hopefully can see the difference. cool.gif

rbWsy4.jpg

And then the strips only needed to be carefully cut off at an angle, 

5S3Hn2.jpg

and with this result I was more like satisfied already. up039822.gif

a9dMQW.jpg

As a test, I've laid this rod on top of the rotary axis, which of course it will later be glued in front of the axis. 

tMWhm2.jpg

So the picture is slowly rounding itself off, and with it I want to leave it at that for today and wish you a pleasant evening. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman