Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello everybody,

it went on with the fold-out strut construction that lies between the sickles and is marked blue. cool.gif 

pYQe9m.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-135)

As a spacer for the sanded off lateral Evergreen strips (0,15 mm x 0,5 mm x 3,7 mm) I used a strip (0,7 mm x 1 mm)

f1954t.jpg

and have tried to laboriously fix this structure, which is carefully held in the tweezers, between three steel rulers, which was a hair-raising action, up046885.gif because the strips tipped over several times doing so, up043952.gif before I managed to glue them to the bottom rotational axis (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm). rolleyes.gif

JYkQ2o.jpg

Here one can see both forks in comparison, whereby the thinner struts fit the picture better. up039822.gif

M88JBv.jpg

Then the slanting lateral struts were glued with a lot of feeling and a steady hand. huh.gif

KPzzvm.jpg

mKYEXs.jpg

And this is what the finished strut construction looks like,

8lgUIK.jpg

here also with the support strut laid on. up046118.gif

rOI6Oq.jpg

This procedure was then repeated three more times, which made me sweat quite a bit, :gr_hail:

ZD4k2Y.jpg

wherewith now all four lower linkages for gluing between the sickles are prepared. :whistle:

UwUqnE.jpg

But beforehand I will still finish the remaining 5 sickles and scratch the remaining 3 upper support struts. cool.gif

Strictly speaking, these support struts still have these coupling forks at the end, which are screwed to the fork struts when unfolded,

MaHedC.jpg

which perhaps would also still be feasible. hmmm.gif

In the folded state, however, they are usually surrounded by a protective cover, therefore let's see ...

U8y5tp.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-132)

Finally, here is a test fitting with the inserted strut construction and provisionally applied support strut between the sickles,

rpKCra.jpg

what doesn't look bad at first glance already. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

the remaining three support struts were produced in the same way as described lastly. cool.gif

up077888.jpg

During the drying I brought the second sickle pair to the final shape. huh.gif

up077889.jpg

After cutting off the strips on the support struts, both sickles were glued with the rod (Ø 0,25 mm) for the upper rotational axis,

up077890.jpg

then the excesses cut off, 

up077891.jpg

and smoothed the ends.

up077892.jpg

Then I tried my hand at a coupling fork and have carefully slit the spacer (0,7 mm x 1 mm), which was used lastly for making the stand fork, on the narrow side with a Fine saw blade (CMK)

up077893.jpg

and widened the slit with fine sandpaper. 

up077894.jpg

But since this strip with 1 mm is too thick, I would have had to cut it in half or grind it down, but I didn't want to do that to myself. rolleyes.gif

up077895.jpg

That's why I slit an Evergreen Strip (0,4 mm x 0,7 mm) in the same way.

up077896.jpg

up077897.jpg

To cut off the only 1 mm long coupling fork, I secured the slotted end with tape to prevent it from jumping away. huh.gif

up077898.jpg

From that point of view, the fork could even be a bit narrower ... hmmm.gif

up077899.jpg

To glue it to the support strut, the fork had to be fixed again. 

up077900.jpg

And then I wanted to know it and try to display the unfolded state of the linkage. up037692.gif 

up077901.jpg

To do this, I carefully inserted the strut with the coupling fork between the stand fork

up077934.jpg

and carefully lifted it with a razor blade, which was pushed under it, and erected up to the point, until the end of the support strut hit the upper rotational axis, which was pure thrill. up046885.gif

0o9C3M.jpg

And after a few failed attempts, I actually succeeded in this game of patience.  up039822.gif

up077902.jpg

up077903.jpg

In contrast, I will build the canister with folded Door Actuators,

up077904.jpg

for which purpose the individual parts are then glued together, which will make assembly much easier. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

the coupling forks for the remaining three support struts I'm now also still able to do. cool.gif

T9KuKs.jpg

But first I wanted to give the remaining four sickles their final shape in order to glued them to the upper rotary axles (Ø 0,3 mm), which was stressful precision finishing work that I had to trudge through. s-boese-wand02.gif  

UOxgs5.jpg

Then the 3rd couple of sickles was glued, 

9h3FGq.jpg

ws6Qtg.jpg 

and after that it was finally the turn of the last couple. :whistle:

c9owt7.jpg

OMhAtn.jpg

And after cutting off the overhang, all four couples were done,

CdwllU.jpg

and I could take a deep breath. :yahoo:

HDoTDb.jpg

Finally, the remaining three coupling forks and their gluing to the support struts still waited, hmmm.gif

BhY2cm.jpg

6nQCrV.jpg

ZZTkZf.jpg

KA6LeG.jpg

for what I've taken my time. huh.gif

zN4vcL.jpg

And to get this fragile odds and ends off the desk before it disappears again or gets damaged, up037312.gif I will now glue the linkages onto the Payload Bay Doors. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

but of course this needs to be well thought out so that nothing goes wrong with these fragile parts. up037312.gif Strength lies in calmness. up046118.gif

So that the linkages first get a certain stability, I first glued the lower stands between the sickles, for what they have to be fixed somehow gently, idea1_2.gif wherefore I've used a longer tape strip. 

Then the stands were carefully grabbed with the pointed tweezers at the axis of rotation between the middle struts, both ends dabbed with a drop of glue and pushed between the sickle ends, where they were aligned a bit. huh.gif

TFckrz.jpg

And when you see them lying there, it all looks pretty easy. :whistle:

AALRYl.jpg

POs0St.jpg

And if one knows how it works, one only needs to repeat it. up039822.gif

0CUNwh.jpg

Now I only have to cleverly glue the linkages onto the doors, in order to then finally glue the support struts. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

extreme caution was required when gluing the Door Actuators onto the Payload Bay Doors, huh.gif which is why I haven't glued the filigree support struts for now so as not to take any risks. cool.gif

The gluing was done with UHU-CA, first on the lower rotational axis of the stand-fork, and then with MEK at the sickles, which resulted in sufficient adhesion. up046118.gif 

yFnnG1.jpg

HhedBT.jpg

Only then the support struts were glued at the upper rotational axis, first on the Port Side Door of the canister,

1XkUmZ.jpg

Pf9hKl.jpg

xE4War.jpg

and then at the Starboard Side Door, wherewith a difficult and tricky subassembly was completed. up039822.gif

LXmY2N.jpg

In order not to have to constantly take the canister in my hand during further assembly work and to protect it, I put it down on a small cutter mat. cool.gif

NsdTeI.jpg

Next followed the four Access Platforms on the side walls, which can be climbed over the ladders when the canister is in a horizontal transport mode, in order to mount the linkages of the upper and lower Door Actuators to be able to open the doors.

B4uDi9.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-125)

U8y5tp.jpg

Of course, it is much easier and, above all, safer from the lifting platform. :whistle:

Ixb6Me.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-126)

Here I have already prepared the necessary individual parts, the platforms (0,5 mm x 3,5 mm x 4 mm), as well as the different support struts (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm),

KPHtgR.jpg

the gluing of which will then follow next time. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and thus for gluing the individual parts of the platform for a first prototype, whereby the important thing was again a stable fixation of the tiny parts, without which it will not work. cool.gif

For gluing the tiny contact points I used the normal Revell glue (Contacta 39604)

RE5Dym.jpg

Since the construction of the platform and the shape of the parts is simple, the handling was no problem. 

9OI5I5.jpg

I0mwr5.jpg

VlpqUx.jpg

For the reproducible cutting of the diagonal support struts I've drawn a  true-to-scale stencil

UtR17e.jpg

FPVZeZ.jpg

And a first test fitting on the canister was quite satisfactory. up046118.gif

8OGkfS.jpg

Since the lighting conditions in the evening with artificial light are unfavorable for the exact positioning of the tiny parts during gluing due to the formation of shadows, I put a LED lamp on the side,

QAlxR4.jpg

which was very helpful. up039822.gif

RvV728.jpg

And this is what the first platform looks like,

5j8vk6.jpg

which also matches well onto the canister. up039822.gif

WK409l.jpg

Since this technique has proven itself, the remaining three platforms can now follow too. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

before the Artemis 1 will take off in about 5 hours, if everything goes well, here is a short report on the platforms. cool.gif

Here are the already known steps for gluing the individual parts of the platforms. 

ET5xup.jpg

sazZh3.jpg

XB6DYx.jpg

Finally it's done, up039822.gif

4izJ60.jpg

and I can glue the platforms to the side walls with UHU-CA, here first on the Port Side,

O9dUKQ.jpg

rrQVJU.jpg

and here on the Starboard Side.

zxy8KH.jpg

And here's a member of the Can Crew checking a Door Actuator. up046118.gif

0c7U12.jpg

And now I'm thrilled to bits for the Artemis 1 Lift-off. up050224.gif

nY3RnB.jpg

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

wow, what a spectacular picture-book launch of NASA's SLS Moon Rocket with the Orion Spacecraft atop to its maiden flight Artemis 1 that leaves you wanting more. :yahoo:

315951936_10222904613227264_282996248926

Source: NASA

Hi Kirk,

the SLS Mobile Launcher (ML) is a further development of the Shuttle MLP, which is similar in structure to the Apollo ML and also has a huge launch tower. :thumbsup:

0UotkU.jpg

Source: NASA

Here you can have a great look at the SLS Mobile Launcher. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello friends,

maybe someone is interested in a first-hand report of an eye and ear witness ... cool.gif

I have asked my friend James MacLaren, about his impressions compared to Shuttle launches

He lives in the vicinity of the Pads 39A/39B, did work 5 years  during building of Pad 39B and can follow every launch at the pads from Cocoa Beach, so to speak he is always sitting in the front row. up039822.gif

And as he has reported, it was it was VERY bright, the brightest thing, by far, that he has ever seen fly. It really lit the place up. He watched from the back yard of the house in the city of Cape Canaveral. It really lit the place up. And the rumble was very loud, with a lot of crackling and popping, and it went on and on and on ...

He wasn't expecting it to be sensibly different from a Shuttle, but the difference was noticeable. It was .... more. More .... everything.

And he meant: That thing is a BEAST! :woot.gif:

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and from NASA's huge SLS Moon rocket back to my crafting table and to my little puzzle pieces. cool.gif

In fact, the smaller the pieces get, the smaller and slower the steps I take along inevitably get, but I have to get through that now. :bandhead2:

For the sake of completeness, I would like to add one small but important detail for the safety of the Can Crew, and these are these Grab rails here, which are next to each upper Door Actuator where members of the Can Crew could hold on themselves or buckle their protective belts. up046118.gif

iuM8rH.jpg

In order to roughly fit my scale (1:160), I used NiCr wire (Ø 0,15 mm) and tried to bend grab handles out of it, which wasn't that easy, since they should only be 1,7 mm long and 1 mm high, so they are tiny. up037312.gif

For my first attempts I've bent the wire step by step over three 0,5 mm thick steel rulers.

3BnDWC.jpg

VlSwGJ.jpg

HTllrF.jpg

However, the first four bending attempts (left) were not satisfactory because the handles with 2 mm were too wide. rolleyes.gif For more reproducible widths of approx. 1,5 mm (right) I've later modified my bending technique. 

0cU7xx.jpg

Here, however, a handle is inserted into the door as a test, which has not completely convinced me, as the handles are still on a narrow base plate (0,1 mm x 0,6 mm x 5 mm), which I initially wanted to omit. huh.gif 

YXielq.jpg

6F1Vn2.jpg

But with a brass angle (wall thickness 1,3 mm), narrower handles with a width of approx. 1,7 mm could be successfully bent, 

hSe4y6.jpg

which I already rather was more satisfied with. :whistle:

h6NPjF.jpg

But then I've still decided to try scratching the tiny plates and used my thinnest Evergreen sheet (0,13 mm) for this, into which I've drilled holes with my thinnest Twist drill (Ø 0,25 mm)

y4NB7h.jpg

in which the handle also has fit. cool.gif

lS7287.jpg

First I've drawn the shape of the narrow plate around it, 

cQE7af.jpg

and carefully cut out.

ngAeOD.jpg

4N1gYL.jpg

The remaining plates I've pre-drilled using the template,

kfbjMR.jpg

and then cut to the final shape. 

T1Sl4R.jpg

Luckily I only need four of these base plates. :thumbsup2:

dyfzxj.jpg

Now I have to see if I'm able to carry on during the Soccer World Cup as I've done before. fuszball3.gif

We'll see ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

These eensy-weensy parts and your skill at building them so-o-o precisely is wonderful to watch Manfred!

The precise angles of the struts on the tiny platforms and the other fine details ... constantly amazes me!

I'm also curious though ... the canister is covered in a paper template and yet you're gluing all these details directly to it.

Is the paper surface the final surface and will it take paint without buckling or any other damage?

Keep up the lovely work ... in between matches of course!

Pete

Thanks Pete for looking in on me again and that you are undeterred by these eensy-weensy parts. :clap2:

Yep, the paper surface should  be the final surface, and therefore I glue all details directly onto it, because I think it's looking well. :whistle:

It doesn't have to be all styrene. up040577.gif

BTW, tomorrow our teams start into the Soccer World Cup, Germay-Japan and Belgium-Canada - Either victory or blood on the shoe! :rofl:

Hello everybody,

from this disastrous false start of our kickers against Japan I had to recover ... :woot.gif:

I didn't get much further either yet, only the base plates for the grab rails on the doors are now glued with MEK. Perhaps the grab rails are painted before gluing. hmmm.gif

E13w0t.jpg

PFXM3o.jpg

YSBqv0.jpg

Next I took a closer look at the lower Door Actuator linkage and the Pneumatic Drive and determined the required dimensions for the scratch build, which again should become tricky.up037312.gif

xL77c8.jpg

The brackets for the lower linkages are similar to the Access Platforms, only they are a bit narrower. In between runs the drive shaft connected to the Pneumatic drive, by means of which the lower linkages are extended to be coupled with the upper linkages in order to open the doors. cool.gif

In this photo one can see the entire arrangement again in the top view. 

CAXj4c.jpg
Source: NASA (STS-114)

Let's see what profiles I can use for the individual parts. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

in order to understand the structure of the Door actuator pneumatic drive in detail and to be able to determine the dimensions of its individual parts, one cannot avoid looking at it from different perspectives with a higher magnification, e.g. as can be seen in the following images, cool.gif

rYsYPB.jpg

here slightly larger, seen from the other side. 

G8sKDo.jpg

This pneumatic drive is connected to the two screw jack bracket assemblies by the horizontal pipes of the pneumatic system, which extend forward and aft. When the door actuator system is activated in the horizontal configuration, the door actuator pneumatic drive pulls the screw jacks down vertically, tilting as necessary in their brackets,

KSC-08pd3303~large.jpg

to clear the opening doors. 

KSC-2011-6155~large.jpg

Based on the determined dimensions, I've cut the corresponding individual parts, 

KAXWd8.jpg

which can be seen in this image. The frame of the drive unit will be made from the smaller strips (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm), the longer strips (0,13 mm x 0,7 mm) should be used for the side retaining struts.

jnHFZ5.jpg

To get an idea of the size of the drive unit, I added a cuboid of the appropriate size,  huh.gif but a few more details this White Box should get already. :whistle:

Let's see if and how I will succeed in putting together this puzzle work. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

first, I've beveled the strips (0,13 mm x 0,7 mm) for the lateral retaining struts at both ends with the cutter chisel, wherefore I used a small template, which had suffered quite a bit. cool.gif

DmCw2u.jpg

Then the different length strips (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm) have been glued to form a frame,

pG0StX.jpg

whereby first the longer strip (3,5 mm) was glued against the shorter strip (2,5 mm),

ZnDwev.jpg

whereto steel rulers served as a guide and for fixation. 

5nFlWi.jpg

Then the second side stripe was glued,

FCioS4.jpg

and finally the other narrow side, wherewith the first of four frames was done. up039822.gif

rH6Zig.jpg

And then the second frame was glued in the same way. 

FcjmyJ.jpg

Next, these two frames are glued together using four support struts (2 mm) to form a frame box. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

in order not to get out of practice, I also glued the two frames for the Door drive, which is sitting on the other canister side. cool.gif

38pmOE.jpg

Then I've started gluing the four short support struts (2 mm) onto the frame, which, as expected, turned out to be a tricky business, especially since holding the struts in the tweezers, as well as wetting them with glue and setting them down with pinpoint accuracy on the frame is quite stressful and can quickly go wrong. :woot.gif: The position of the struts could then be carefully corrected as required yet. 

7Tel6m.jpg

ogoiNc.jpg

And then the remaining struts followed, whereby it is always important that the frame is firmly seated between the stops so that nothing can slip, which is why it has to be re-clamped again and again. huh.gif

JezGdG.jpg

Ml6nGO.jpg

g4hTY6.jpg

And then most of it was done, and the result even exceeded my expectations, up046118.gif

uA6p9k.jpg

and is quite impressive. up039822.gif

ErNfgh.jpg

And also the test fitting on the lower frame looks good. 

nbbbdu.jpg

But before the frame box can be glued completely, I have to add a few drive details, what probably wouldn't work afterwards. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanks Kirk for your nice words, :worship:

so far the frame box still looks pretty boring, but with the itsy-bitsy pneumatic drive details the box will come to life. spiegel-smilies-0002.gif

Stay tuned and you will see. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman