Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

The AMX version is much better and more accurate in my opinion. I am still looking for the MLP plans for you only I have about 2000 NASA drawings on file.

Cheers.

Hi Yasa,

that would be great, if you could find designs of MLP plans. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Hey guys,

thanks for your kind words, then we evidently have all the same taste, that's great obviously. I find also that the AXM variant corresponds better to that original pedestals. The 3D effect looks real better as the 2D effect of the Ppaper kit. And by the way, the nuts at the paper sheet variant are anyway not correct, because they are so not at all there.

And by the way, at this detail a small general deficit of the actually great Paper kit of David Maier shows up. All too small and above all still more complicated, spatial details cannot be represented of paper nevertheless so convincingly and can be converted still many more with difficulty. And in extreme cases completely tricky things can become then even easily unattractively, particularly regarded from the nearness. And that is probable the reason, why Davod Maier also sometimes abstain from it and some details are only suggested. And last but not least everything is a question of expenditure, both for the CAD designer and for the modeler too.

Therefore I want to build pedestals from sheet after the AXM template, but with small changes to the corner interfaces, which are missing in both variants so far, let you surprise. :rolleyes:

And because of the corner interfaces of the MMI I came again somewhat into rumination. Those look in reality somewhat differently than in the AXM paper sheet, whereby the front corner MMI's at Side 1 differ from the rear corner MMI's at the Side 3 again slightly.

First however the front corners of the MLP baseplate had to be somewhat modified and adapted to the form of the octagonal baseplates of the corner interfaces. Here is again the inital state:

s3s2.jpg

As one can see in the next picture, the baseplates of the corner interfaces exceed approximately to the half over the MLP corners.

s1s4mmi.jpg

source: NASA

Therefore I have small angles of the supernatant corner interface made of sheet, which are glued together concisely with the corners of the MLP baseplate. Here one sees the individual parts for the corner MMI's, which was adapted on the basis of the AXM template still more to the original.

mmiteile.jpg

And suddenly I noticed an inaccuracy at the corners of the Side 1 at the MLP baseplate from the time of the beginning of building the MLP.

side1altpfeile.jpg

The red marked bars at the bottom are somewhat too broad and are therefore not correct with the width of the corner interface baseplates. And if it concerns only approx. 3 mm, that would not please me so quite. Therefore I carefully have made these bars somewhat more narrow (green marking) with the friction disk, which was not completely simple, however nevertheless completely well succeeded.

side1neuunten.jpg

side1neuvorn.jpg

And now the corner MMI's baseplates should hopefully better to fit.

:wave:

This is going to turn into something special. I've just noticed that the 72 scale complete launch pad has been released. A little bit expensive but will make for a superb model once completed if it is built with the same care and attention as this.

Thanks Jay,

I know all the Kits from David Maier and they look great. I could have made it also substantially easier for me, if I would build everything Out Of Paper Kit (OOPK) without any scratch building. But then many details would be not at all present or some only suggested by textures. That is the price, which one must pay, if one scratchbuild many details, but that's what I want. :thumbsup:

Since I'm just with base plate, should be detailed that on this occasion also some more. There are several openings as well known. Below the Side 4 one sees these three flange openings here in the picture, by which the water feed for the Sound Suppression Water System (SSWS) is made.

side4rohrflanschepfeile.jpg

At the launch pad these MLP openings are connected with the local thick SSWS inlet pipes, from which the front pipe at the right image margin has a smaller diameter than the two rear.

up017300.jpg

Does someone of you know the diameters of these pipes?

Then there are still four further fixed points, at which the MLP/Crawler Mechanical interfaces are located, which one could do likewise suggest.

Meanwhile it went with continuation to build the corner interfaces for the pedestal supports, which I wanted to detail some more further. Photos with details of it and the individual parts I had already shown. Therefore here the next steps of the fitting:

mmis1l2.jpg

That is first the angle bracket (1.5 mm) with the main plate (0.5 mm), both from Sheet. Who looks exactly, the difference to the AXM template will recognize. Next the ribs (0.5 mm) had his turn, and so the mite grows then over continues to the corner.

mmi1.jpg

Now only a rear rib is missing to the Side 2, and then there was already the final fitting, which fit already completely properly and pleases me so also well. :rolleyes:

mmif.jpg

mmif1.jpg

mmif2.jpg

Thus is first corner interface and can go for painting, tomorrow comes then the right corner MMI to.

And here is now also the announced corner MMI for the right corner on Side 1. Before it already lie the angle plates for the two rear corner MMI's at Side 3 and the templates for the side panels.

2mmi.jpg

And then still fast a picture of the fitting.

2mmi1.jpg

And thus to the corner MMI's to the Side 3, which see actually exactly the same as at the Side 1, as one can see in the following pictures. Here the MMI opinion of the rear end of the Side 4, at the transition to the Side 3,

mmis4s3.jpg

and here the opinion behind the corner, from the Side 3.

mmis4s31.jpg

The individual parts for the remaining MMI's lie here already.

mmiteile.jpg

Those are now the six MMI's after their completion.

mmis.jpg

Now the parts are cleaned still of last finishing and then they finally can go for painting.

Here are the six MMI's after painting. Those look here somewhat dark in the picture, are however brighter in reality, as one will directly see.

mmilackiert.jpg

Here are the two corner interfaces at the Side 1 after the assembly.

mmis1.jpg

and here the MMI's to the other MLP sides.

mmis1s2.jpg

mmis2.jpg

mmis3.jpg

mmis4.jpg

Without large break equal still with the four Access Platforms for the Side 1. Before painting the platforms were cleaned in an isopropanol bath thoroughly with the brush and dried afterwards with a blow-dryer. And in such a way the platforms look now finished painted from above,

ap14oben.jpg

and so at the bottom

ap14unten.jpg

And tomorrow the assembly follows.

Edited by spaceman

But before here are only still some other new details.

At the MLP undersurface there are as well known these two small air grids above the Crawler's cab, which should not naturally be missing.

gitter.jpg

Because those are rather tiny, I used the fine-meshed ribbon for the lattices again. Among them the prepared frameworks with the black background already lie.

rahmenouthintergrund.jpg

Next the lattices were glued behind the frameworks, cut out these then and glued afterwards on the black background, that already were it.

rahmengitterfertig.jpg

And in this photo the air grids are already installed.

lftungsgitterw.jpg

Next the bottom plates of the MMI's (from the AXM template) were glued together and then the holes for the centering bolts were carefully bored (Ø 2.4 mm).

bohrungen.jpg

Subsequently, below the Side 4 the three markings for the SSWS pipings and in the center the markings for the Crawler Transporter/MLP Mechanical Interfaces were attached.

rohreunterseite.jpg

Those are the four support points of the MLP on the Crawler, which has in each case a distance from 27,40 m from each other, as one can see from this picture from David Maier's Crawler building guidance.

crawlerinterface.jpg

source: EDU-Craft Diversions(CD-ROM)

In the end the centering bolts already painted (Ø 2.3 mm) were then glued into the drillings, with which the undersurface is complete now.

bolzenh.jpg

And tomorrow now the welding operators can begin with the assembly of the Access Platforms. :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

and thanks Mark for the nice words.

And today the welders began with the assembly of the Access platforms, and like it itself belonged, naturally with the Access Platform AP 1. That is the largest of the four Access platforms here at the left front.

s12u.jpg

On this platform there are some parts of the LOX Valve Skid, as well as filters and armatures, how one can see in this picture. To the protection from hot exhaust gases during starting these platforms are roofed over through Blast Shields.

ap1gro.jpg

The associated parts in the used Paper kit look in such a way:

ap1c.jpg

There are two Equipment Pallets AP 1 C (left) and AP 1 D (right) with some armatures, as well as two panel retaining structures AP 1 J and AP 1 K, which however can be attached only after the assembly of the Blast Shields. I put the pallets here provisionally on the platform.

palletss1.jpg

In reality the right pallet is however no closed platform but a framework from H-Beams, as one can see here in the following picture with the right pallet with the LOX Filter in the center.

palletrahmen.jpg

Thus I probably will scratch-build the right pallet from H-Beams (1,5x1,5 mm), in order to remain closer at the original. With the left pallet (AP 1 C) it looks somewhat differently.

And here is my first attempt with parts of the paper kit, in order to show the difference to the original better, so that you can judge.

up017877.jpg

Here the first armatures are to be seen on the right pallet, on the left the "Black Box" with a piping to the right in the back and behind it the LOX Filter. The box as such does not exist in such a way in the original. Those are here again only hazy suggestions of the pipings left from the LOX Filter, if you want to compare with the last picture. And now still another further detail is added.

palletfinal.jpg

That should be the mounting plates of different pipings which there stand in front of it.

The more I look at myself against the original photographs, the less I am convinced of the paper details, particularly since it looks really differently in the original MLP. I mean also that the H-Beams framework is some more longer and extends to the left, probably up to the end of this Bay with the inlet of the white LH2 Pipe into the MLP wall, which leads then to the TSM. One can recognize the inlet as black point left above the box.

It seems to me that I must think about it still more exactly. :coolio:

Edited by spaceman

Thanks Mark for the nice comment.

And here is a new update to the Access Platforms, which are now completely installed.

ap3c.jpg

ap2uw.jpg

Between the AP 2 and AP 3 the first supports were drawn in.

ap1d.jpg

ap0ty.jpg

And then still completely surprisingly the stair builder went past and already took measure.

aptreppen.jpg

So it can go further.

That would have been also too beautiful, but thus the safety check agreed unfortunately not at all, which was turned up suddenly and for the surprise of all and concerning the platforms gave some editions, which are shown by the following picture:

ap4pfeile.jpg

The inspection did not only have complained the missing platform bracer over the corner MMI interface (right arrow) , which was in the meantime already improved. Above all however it was criticized that between the lower platform AP 2 and the outside AP 4 a stabilization prop (left arrow, I-Beam) is missing, which must be absolutely still attached, before the final inspection can take place! :woot.gif:

ap4strebe.jpg

But those inspectors are right, safety first!!! And therefore the welders drew in the complained of missing props also fast, as one can see here. :rolleyes:

strebe.jpg

And now finally all are content.

Thanks Mike and Jay for all the encouraging words. :rolleyes:

You are right Mike, the railings and staircases are from Plastruct on a scale 1:160 (N), which is exactly the scale, in which I build mine MLP. The stairs are 5.5 mm broad and in addition the suitable railings also on 1:160.

Hi Manfred.

I Will take a look at what's avalable in Europe, as i'm Danish, we "suffer" fro the same small problems, and i will look at what texture paint, there's arround.

As for the pictures i might have some new ones, your interrested in.

Problem, i am on a very week internet WiFi at a gas station in Poland now...

ASAP.

Gret build.

Rene'

Manfred, I am soooo jealous of your build. I totally want one...lol Just kidding on the jealousy part...I am inspired by your work. I cannot wait until you are finish with this cause I know this will be the best Space model around.

Mike

Thanks guys for all the kind words! Your comments give me encouragement to keep pushing on. And as you can see I'm having so much fun doing the scratch-building! There are a lot of interesting details on such a MLP, therefore it's going to become a long run ...

And so that again back on the Access Platform AP 1, where I had already begun with the two pallets from D. Maiers Paper kit, which did not so completely convince me however. And therefore I assiduously scanned archives again for detail photographs.

As one can recognize in the following picture from below the left Pallet, this pallet is a closed frame construction with a coverage.

s1linksap1gitterrostevo.jpg

Quelle: NASA

At least the middle range (without gratings) is closed upward and one can even recognize some girders. From the same photo series there is a further picture from something other position. And on that one can recognize the following details with experienced view (and eagle eyes :rolleyes: ):

linkespalletap12pfeile.jpg

Quelle: NASA

In the ranges marked by arrows actually light from above shines through. The light one can recognize still better, if one clicks 2x successively into the picture, then one has the highest resolution.

That would mean that only the middle closed part belonges to the left pallet which has a coverage. In D. Maiers Kit the left pallet is closed, but sits however directly before the MLP wall. And I assume strongly that it has also no break as with D. Maiers kit, but continuous exhibits the same width.

In the meantime I investigated also in NASASpaceflight.com and found thereby these two detail photos of the left pallet, which seems to confirm my theory. In the first picture one sees the framework of the pallet behind the grating strip with pipes and armatures of the LOX Valve Skid.

linkespalletap1framewor.jpg

source: NASASpaceflight.com (J. Patterson)

And in the second picture of the same place one can recognize the rear grating strip in front of the MLP wall.

linkespalletap11grating.jpg

source: NASASpaceflight.com (J. Patterson)

After these questions are clarified now to the pallets on the Access Platform AP 1, finally far can be with the practical work on the right Pallet of the LOX Valve Skid, which is to be seen in this photo again beautifully.

up017258.jpg

For the framework I essentially use H-beams 1,5x1,5 mm.

rahmend.jpg

rahmen1.jpg

As one can see however in the previous NASA photo, the pallet sits not concisely on the grating, but stands for something increased on small bases. And those I'll build then tomorrow, together with further cross beams and bracers, up to the base frame for the LOX Filter.

And here is a short update. There first times eight small bases came as feet under the right pallet from square profile 1,5x1,5 mm.

rahmenfe.jpg

In the center the two small extensions indicate already the location of the LOX Filter. Then there are several cross beams on the framework, on which further mounting plates for pipings etc. sit, from which first is installed here already. The cross beam is H-profile 1.5x1.5 mm, the front prop from T-beam 1,5x1,5 mm.

rahmenstrebe.jpg

Further left there is still another second mounting plate of this kind, which is to be seen in the next picture. Then I have built the next miniature, that is the mounting plate right beside first with the T-beam, which has a special structure, which I had to look at myself and then consider only longer time, from which I can make it best. For the base frame I finally took then after some preliminary tests failed a H-beam 3.0x3.0 mm and on it still few small parts from sheet glued.

rahmenstrebeaufbau.jpg

And I must say, these details stop genuinly and require already some at patience and concentration. Up to now about 25 component parts are in the pallet, and those are not yet all, if you look back to the NASA photo. Well yes, I wanted it in such a way, now I thereby began, and now I'm also keep on doing. I think already that the expenditure will be worthwhile itself ... :rolleyes:

Edited by spaceman