Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

But that is not enough, because for the holders of the arcuate outlets of both ring lines into the SRB-shafts are needed in each case 12 of these supports (in the sketch blue) which are standing on the Blast Shields.

up046963.jpg

Source: NASA

They have a slightly different substructure, but in any case I need 24 of these tiny sickle-shaped supports, I'm looking forward already. analintruder.gif

And here I also have arranged the six pretty Rainbirds to complete the picture. cool.gif

LenL5s.jpg

CLw93v.jpg

6wZqLH.jpg

And so now follow the four rear 18'' outlets (Ø 3 mm), for which I have drawn this sketch.

kcU5hP.jpg

These are admittedly not tapered, but fivefold bent, and are ending below the SRB Supports.

7cWwW8.jpg

And because I need four of these tortuous "earthworms", for this purpose a balsa template will be worthwhile again. up040577.gif

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif

I was looking at my 1/144 MLP and trying ... really trying ... to understand how on earth you are getting all this tiny, tiny detail for your 1/144 MLP.

Your photos are are of such high quality that it makes us think you're building a much, much bigger model. Rather than using the euro coin for scale, maybe you could show it in one of your hands ...

The quality of this build, Manfred, is far superior to any other build on this entire ARC website. This build of yours is ... re-mark-able! :worship::thumbsup:

...... or maybe you really ARE building a much much bigger model and using a "coin" that is actually 10 cm in diameter! :whistle:

Thanx Manfred

Pete

Hi Pete,

and thanks for your overwhelming compliments, that makes me really sheepishly. verlegen.gif

I understand your jokes with the bigger model and Euro-cent coin, 00000016.gif but it's really genuine and has a diameter of 16.2 mm, what you can compare on the 10 mm screen of the cutting mat. up040577.gif

BTW, your 1/144 MLP would interest me already, can you show some pics? :worship:

Hello everybody,

let's get started with the first act of the new bending orgy. :gr_eek2:

ere once again the sketch of the 18'' outlet as a basis for the template, in which I have drawn already the pipe support on the SRB-Blast Shield, to this but later. :coolio:

wpk6rN.jpg

This time, the bending process is not as easy as with the ring line, in which it only once went all-around. :rolleyes: Therefore, this template (left in the image) can be used only for the upper rounding and the subsequent outlet, whereby a consistent holding is very important.

xXgQzn.jpg

And during the stepwise bending then the hot air gun takes action.

X3tzpG.jpg

yJYNOz.jpg

This is the intermediate result, which seems to be quite useful, only the short piece after the upper arch should actually be still a bit flatter, but it could not be aligned close enough. But it became probably something too hot for my fingers. :woot.gif:

9aOcxj.jpg

Now the supernatant part can be separated and then the junction be rounded.

RbbIhd.jpg

In order to bend the following short slant it must be re-clamped.

k3eQeI.jpg

For this the rod must be aligned with the balsa triangle narrow to the slant. After fixation of the triangle with the pins it must be blow-dried again, and only after cooling, the clamps can be removed.

jp6d3t.jpg

Thereafter, the rod should should fit snugly and not splay back again. :rolleyes: And then follows the second bending downwards,

mQIBSG.jpg

whereto I yet again have re-clamped and used a more stable board with slanted corner. :thumbsup:

7J8PeI.jpg

EhNWCj.jpg

And this is the preliminary result, which can be quite impressive. speak_cool.gif

QMef3D.jpg

Now only the final bending til below the SRB support is missing, for which I still have to determine the distances and dimensions.

D1rdP5.jpg

And now a short outlook at the initially mentioned pipe supports under the outlets.

6sa361.jpg

In this picture all looks again relatively easy, the triangular base as well as the sickle shaped brackets, similar to those at the supports for the 24'' ring line. But if one now outlines the real proportions in model scale, then this part shrinks considerably. erschrocken3.gif

7BxeuV.jpg

And so I will let it go at that for today. up040577.gif

Hello again,

I will tell you briefly what else happens, not much, but still gave it to me some new impressions and insights. :coolio:

The last bending of the 18'' outlet obliquely inwards til under the SRB Support was missing still, for which the outlet again was firmly clamped in with balsa boards,

eRXd4f.jpg

and was then bent in the hot air stream.

pBO0UB.jpg

tHIOwk.jpg

Then I have the bent outlet temporarily hanged in the chamber and viewed from all sides, as well as compared with the reference pictures, whereby I have noticed a few things. :rolleyes:

Cpu99p.jpg

Thereby the 18'' outlet (Ø 3 mm) optically seems to be a bit too small compared to the 24'' ring line (Ø 4 mm), which is why I still will do a second attempt with an Evergreen rod Ø 3,2 mm. Sometimes making a few tenths already something. cool.gif Furthermore the top arc is to me altogether a little bit too round, because the slant to the vertical part is too little marked. :hmmm:

And then the last bending til below the slant of the SRB support lies a little too far below, namely further than it looks in the picture, what I'll check in more detail.

Z5gIii.jpg

Finally, I have tried to scratch the outlet opening at the end of the line,

up051763.jpg

whereto I have simply flattened the 3 mm rod with pliers, which would almost suffice already.

bV8McS.jpg

Okay, that's all not earth-shattering, but maybe I could make it still a bit better. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Thanks for your nice compliment, bow.gif

it all comes only little by little, and skill comes with practice, folks say in Germany. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and for these pipe supports at the rear 18'' outlets I have now tried some variants. :coolio:

6sa361.jpg

Here are some Evergreen profiles that come into question. And these are from top to bottom a 4 mm angle profile, a 2.5 mm channel, and the same profile, in which I have sanded the lateral webs in the front region down to a profile height of 0.75mm.

To the right already the first four sickles for pipe holders of the upper parts are ready,

RaVKwW.jpg

which I have fastened again in proven manner and have glued with MEK. :thumbsup:

Lx07uV.jpg

00JMOu.jpg

And this is initially the easiest variant for the triangular substructure, whereto I have glued a 4 mm Evergreen-angle onto a 0.5 mm base plate.

axoZ5X.jpg

9FYals.jpg

But as one can see in the picture, the substructures are actually open at the bottom and have two thin base struts.

up051853.jpg

Therefore I wanted to try a downwardly open variant, and used the sanded down 2.5mm Evergreen Channel. But therefor one has to deal immediately with miter cuts, which also must have the same length, what is easier said than done. :woot.gif:

iTxdRT.jpg

Yw6Etg.jpg

And then the slanted struts (0.25 x 0.75 mm) have to be glued, but this one is still too wide and is located too far up, since the angle must be sitting on the struts. Therefore, an Evergreen-Strip certainly should be better suited 0.25 x 0.5 mm. :rolleyes:

lZiNKh.jpg

So I've been thinking about another possibility and have chosen this strip 0,25 x 0,5 mm for building of a thin frame.

up051889.jpg

But after the first two frame strips were glued laboriously separately, I had to realize that this could be no viable method obviously. i5684_no2.gif

But then I benefited that this thin strip can actually bend without breaking, which I have previously already experienced with similar strips.

up051890.jpg

So I have removed these two strips and started a new attempt, in which I wanted to try to bend the strip into a small frame and to glue under the angle. cool.gif Although these are only tiny contact points, but with MEK it works well, but if they can withstand the bending, remains to be seen. gruebel.gif

up051891.jpg

up051892.jpg

And with this bending it should be continued tomorrow, thereby I should benefit from another detail of these supports, which I previously wanted to leave off. up040577.gif

Hi there,

and thus to this support detail, although this every now and then was catched in my eye, but it was not previously appeared as so important to me and I therefore omit wanted. That are these welded stiffening plates, which are barely visible in this picture of MLP-3. :rolleyes:

dNrBhW.jpg

In this photo from the MLP-2 one can see them more clearly, but also recognizes that there are obviously different forms. :hmmm:

up051853.jpg

And these plates vary actually from MLP to MLP and are themselves neither uniformly on a MLP on all supports, nor on the front and back of individual supports, what can be quite confusing at the moment. :gr_eek2:

Therefore, I have henceforth concentrated myself only on images from the MLP 2, and there are also supports (the left 18'' outlet) mounted on the top which still have an additional third stiffening plate. :thumbsup:

bJUVOO.jpg

And these plates I have availed for bonding a filigree frame of a 0.25 x 0,5 mm strip, because without one, though minimal, bearing surface it would be probably become nothing. i5684_no2.gif

For the plates at the base I have cut narrow strips of 0.1 mm Styrene and glued it onto the angle with MEK.

dKcO7P.jpg

arFPs9.jpg

bTwudX.jpg

MpBhaJ.jpg

And on these strips, I have glued the frame strip (0.25 x 0.5 mm),

UEQAZR.jpg

And on these strips, I then glued the frame strips (0.25 x 0.5 mm), then I've cut the overhanging strips. And then, at the corner followed the first bend and bonding of the frame on the narrow side, etc. all around. :coolio:

mv1Z5R.jpg

Kgt8Tq.jpg

One just have to pay attention to solid support surfaces, then it will work, even if it is rather fidgety. :woot.gif:

b9AkCx.jpg

NEYnRO.jpg

After this also the second Support variant with an open bottom was finished and is presented here with the first variant. :thumbsup: Now may be glued even the plates on the back.

WQ2b0T.jpg

And now also the top part with the sickles was glued, thus the support would be completed.

O6ce3n.jpg

H2nljS.jpg

O47d2H.jpg

And the fitting of the first support on the MLP should not be missing.

aQBj8M.jpg

haynM2.jpg

Accordingly, I will stay with this variant, since the envisaged channel variant therefore has become superfluous. :coolio:

Thanks Pete for your flattery, I am pleased if you have so much fun. Cheers my friend! prost.gif

BTW, in fact, this support is really so small that I have to put it in a safe place so that it does not sink in the rest of rummage on the table. smiley_crazy.gif

I haven't posted in awhile to say this build is just my favorite to follow on line. Ever! Manfred is knocking it out of the park with his skills. It actually inspired me to scratch build more and try new things to increase my skill set. Thanks for sharing this with us and keeping us informed. Just awesome!

Manfred, if you wish to expand your English vocabulary, the "sickles" are called cradles (Wiegen, according to Google translate). Yes, the little rocking baby bed.

Fantastische Arbeit!

Edited by Slartibartfast

I haven't posted in awhile to say this build is just my favorite to follow on line. Ever! Manfred is knocking it out of the park with his skills. It actually inspired me to scratch build more and try new things to increase my skill set. Thanks for sharing this with us and keeping us informed. Just awesome!

Thanks for your nice words. :worship:

Then you are on the right track, at first the same happened to me, as I was amazed about the models of other guys. Just have courage and try to imitate it, and you will see, from time to time it becomes better and your skill will be improved. :thumbsup: Only never give up and not lose heart, even if it does not immediately succeed the first time. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Manfred, if you wish to expand your English vocabulary, the "sickles" are called cradles (Wiegen, according to Google translate). Yes, the little rocking baby bed.

Fantastische Arbeit!

Thanks for you compliment and the nice tutoring. 377.gif

OK, if you like. Cradles or pipe beds, it is important that you know what I mean. up040577.gif

Hello friends,

as I had already indicated, with the first bend test of the 18'' outlet I was not completely satisfied, because the upper bend downwards to the kink total still was too round what was due to the template. :woot.gif:

up051755.jpg

In reality, the piece above the support is until to the edge of the Blast Shield but straight, as one can see here.

up046963.jpg

In the meantime I've also bought Evergreen Rods Ø 3.2mm. :coolio:

In order to get the bend at the second time right, I have bevelled the slight arc of the template, as well as choosen a different bending sequence and initially bent this kink only, whereby the top piece is straight. :thumbsup:

qH1Vci.jpg

And this straight piece now I have extra strongly fixed, so that it during the subsequent bending of the upper arc also remains straight. That was the whole trick, and this has worked actually. :thumbsup2:

KOo65k.jpg

Then I have tested how this looks in the SRB chamber, and I must say, much better. :yahoo:

VwKSOv.jpg

tMolNb.jpg

Then followed the lower bendings, for which everything was fixed bombproof again,

6a5HRw.jpg

what was worthwhile,

SiffJV.jpg

as becomes clear by comparing the two outlets. The first outlet was downwards even a bit too long, what I have also corrected.

i2KWPp.jpg

And with this fitting now I'm more than satisfied, up039822.gif

YlIvHM.jpg

YQmo8r.jpg

and can finally give rest. And so I will now also scratch the remaining three of these outlets even before then follow the outlets with the tapers. up040577.gif