Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Thanks Mike for your appreciation. :worship:

I also cannot await to finally see the finished MLP, even with lighting. gut.gif

When everything is completed one day, I'm sure it will look speak_cool.gif but scratch-building of all these tricky pipes and tiny supports is pretty stressful. analintruder.gif

But I nevertheless will not let loose. i5684_no2.gif

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif

Hello everybody,

quickly back into the pipe pleasure with the modified Balsa template whose upper flat bow is still somewhat narrower. :coolio:

Important for the next 45° bending is at first the fixation of this slant and the separate extension of the abutment face, as these short pieces otherwise don't stay straight, but would rather become rounded. :rolleyes:

lxTktx.jpg

To avoid this also during the following bending, even this small flat bow must be specially fastened previously. :thumbsup:

voTbAx.jpg

And after bending I have preventively heated one more time in the clamped state.

H7HbSB.jpg

After that all sides should fit closely on the template.

UlyRuo.jpg

After that follows the last one, but at once the most difficult bending of the transition to the ring line around a relatively tight radius, because an exact positioning of the rounding template is important, but this is more or less a matter of feeling.

N0Y4ir.jpg

And this is the result.

SS77ap.jpg

Now the test must show whether or how well the outlet fits. And that now looks total already better than before. The upper bow is flatter and lies slightly lower than that of the forward 18''/12'' outlet,

eBKGjN.jpg

and the support still has some space to get closer. ja.gif

7ELmzA.jpg

Meanwhile, the front outlet has been slipped down a bit, because the Pattex power subsides, be that as it may! :rolleyes:

YXs88H.jpg

So much for today. :thumbsup:

Edited by spaceman

Hello everyone,

today for a change I have bent the missing second 24'' ring line (Ø 4,0 mm). :coolio: While the thin 12'' outlets (Ø 2,0 mm) soften relatively quickly, this thicker rod must be reheated a little longer before one can bend it easily.

0gnVNy.jpg

Otherwise it was the same procedure again, as you can see, whereas the roundings this time even have become better than at the first ring line, this makes the exercise. top1.gif

h8MMkI.jpg

Lz7sQN.jpg

WTvvsn.jpg

CrFeG1.jpg

And this is the next test, this time again with the Rainbirds, to round out the picture,

PuIVO2.jpg

and here without the annoying placeholders. cool.gif

hqoWnb.jpg

tJ6UKJ.jpg

Hi Joseph,

thanks for your nice compliment. :worship:

No, this would not work. i5684_no2.gif

For example, the third bending of the ring line:

TtxTWL.jpg

During heating of the bending point, you have to touch the rod with a Balsa board (see below), and at the beginning of the softening of the Styrene rod you bend its entire length until the template, but without much pressure! nono.gif

After the board is fastened by the pins, one can preventively heat one more time.

xqBnPk.jpg

And after cooling, you can unclamp, because then the desired shape is "frozen". top2.gif

That's the whole secret. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everyone,

today I want to come back to the 18'' outlets, which indeed still have no outlet openings. And also lacking even the little supports with which they are attached to the SRB supports. :coolio:

That are these small metal sheets here,

lAZmX1.jpg

Source: NASA

and then these here below the SRB supports immediately above the outlet openings.

yiHOA8.jpg

While the supports in the first image are simple square Styrene plates (2.5 mm x 2.5 mm x 0.3 mm), the lower supports have a trapezoidal shape because they sit on the slant of the SRB supports and on the flattened outlet openings. And this results in two little problems, one being the difficulty of determining their dimensions, and closely connected their mounting on the outlet openings below the support slants. :woot.gif:

For the dimensions this image was relatively well suited. It can be seen that the outlet opening and the trapezoidal sheet ranges up to about the middle of the SRB support.

GZQLiS.jpg

Accordingly the size of the support is about 3.7 / 2.5 mm x 3.7 mm x 0.3 mm.

For the adaptation and assembly of these supports at the outlets, I have modified my previous mounting template for the tapered 18''/12'' outlets to the following Balsa jig which has the shape of the SRB supports. top.gif

The support is made of 8 mm Balsa and thus corresponds to the thickness of the SRB support. In the base plate beneath sits the 24'' ring line for an exact alignment of the 18'' outlet. As spacers I have used 2.5 mm H-beams (Evergreen).

rnHTSX.jpg

KAlKoX.jpg

Now I have fixed the location of the outlet from both sides and from above, so that it can no longer slip.

MN39FX.jpg

And in the gap between the support and the outlet end can now be adapted the trapezoidal support plate and also glued later.

IZVw08.jpg

Wb8xvU.jpg

But previously the outlet opening must be hollowed and flattened out. :hmmm:

Therefore at first I have tried to pre-drill the outlet end as centrally as possible with smaller diameters (up to 2.4 mm), but this is not so simple and is slightly shifted again. :rolleyes:

FEMGK3.jpg

4qwH5M.jpg

After the final drilling with Ø 2.8 mm, the wall is rather thin and unfortunately unequally thick,

orM1bZ.jpg

which is unfavorable for the subsequent warm-flattening of the opening (on the left). :woot.gif:

ZcalAI.jpg

Another possibility (right) would be to use a drilled Styrene pipe (3.2 mm), of which the wall would be indeed more uniformly, but slightly thicker, which would be acceptable. The form itself certainly looks cleaner. :thumbsup:

U4L6RG.jpg

Of which now however still had to be cut off a short end piece and to be glued at the shortened outlet end, as well as additionally refinished, which would be an additional fiddling again. undecided.gif

Meanwhile, I've bought a drill with Ø 2.5 mm which hopefully is better suited, let's see ... hmmm.gif

Finally, I have marked nor the positions of the upper support metal sheets.

DJ521o.jpg

Well then until soon. up040577.gif

Hallo zusammen,

jetzt fehlen nur noch die Austrittsöffnungen, die ich ja nochmals probieren wollte. :coolio:

Die Schwierigkeit dabei ist ja, wie gesagt, das mittige Bohren, das man nicht gleich mit dem Enddurchmesser machen kann, weshalb ich diesmal einen Dummy (Ø 3,2 mm) in kleineren Abstufungen aufgebohrt habe. :rolleyes:

Nach dem möglichst mittigen Ankörnen :gr_hail: habe ich zunächst mit Ø 1,3 mm begonnen, und zwar ca. 6 mm tief, d.h. immer schrittweise rein und raus, damit es keinen Spänestau gibt.

0M8DSj.jpg

Und das sieht schon mal ziemlich zentrisch aus. top1.gif

9EKz5R.jpg

Danach folgten Ø 2,0 mm,

H6zYqU.jpg

Ø 2,3 mm,

2I3qZE.jpg

Ø 2,5 mm,

WMTI6O.jpg

und schließlich noch ein leichtes Senken mit Ø 2,7 mm zur Verringerung der sichtbaren Wanddicke, halt wegen der Optik. :coolio:

gpGdxL.jpg

Und dann habe ich den vorderen Bereich (ca. 3 mm) mit einem Kern (0,75 mm x 2,5 mm) kurz vorsichtig erwärmt und schrittweise langsam platt gedrückt bis auf 1,7 mm Höhe, aber nicht etwa so ... :fight:

9vTmNL.jpg

Und das kann sich, glaube ich, durchaus sehen lassen, oder? :hmmm:

aUi3Pe.jpg

Und somit kann ich mich wohl nun auch an die richtigen Abgänge wagen, hoffentlich klappt's dann bei denen auch so gut. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

now missing only the outlet openings that I wanted to try again. :coolio:

The difficulty is, as I said, the central drilling, which you cannot do it immediately with the final diameter, which is why this time I drilled a dummy (3.2 mm) in smaller gradations. :rolleyes:

After center punching as central as possible I first started with Ø 1,3 mm, specifically about 6 mm deep, that means gradually in and out, so there is no chip congestion.

0M8DSj.jpg

And that looks already pretty centrical. :thumbsup:

9EKz5R.jpg

Thereafter followed Ø 2,0 mm,

H6zYqU.jpg

Ø 2,3 mm,

2I3qZE.jpg

Ø 2,5 mm,

WMTI6O.jpg

and finally still a slight countersinking with Ø 2.7 mm for reduction the visible wall thickness, just because of the optics. :coolio:

gpGdxL.jpg

And then I have briefly heated carefully and gradually slowly flattened the front end (about 3 mm) with a core (0.75 mm x 2.5 mm) down to 1.7 mm height, but not this way ... :fight:

9vTmNL.jpg

And that can be quite impressive, right? :hmmm:

aUi3Pe.jpg

And therefore I can probably now also venture to the final outlets, hopefully it'll work also as well then. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everyone,

I have made a final test on a real component and thereto used my first 18'' outlet prototype, which still was lying around and anyway is good for nothing. He still had Ø 3,0 mm and was due to the bendings no longer circular at the end , but came just right as a dummy. cool.gif

Its end I have drilled out to Ø 2,5 mm,

l2zAKF.jpg

and then flattened, as usual.

X2JDNA.jpg

As can be seen, one can scratch the outlet opening also directly at the bent outlet.

2yORVc.jpg

And therefore I can now also get down to business with the four final outlets (Ø 3,2 mm). up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and this I have implemented now, in hopes that it will fit somehow.

First, I have drilled out the final four 18'' outlets, as already described.

Y2yoIJ.jpg

M9nN5p.jpg

So far so good, and now came the cautious forming of the outlet openings with the help of the Proxxon Gun, huh.gif for what I have inserted a core.

F7gI5S.jpg

Nevertheless, one must be extremely careful during heating, so that the thin-walled opening is not shrinking suddenly. :woot.gif:

uAtMwc.jpg

And how the subsequent fitting shows, the position of the opening under the balsa support looks quite passable. top.gif

EPDlzm.jpg

uaNwmh.jpg

6fz8B1.jpg

XM0SZ0.jpg

Edited by spaceman

And now to the lower support plates, which can be seen in this panorama of the STS-134 on the MLP 2.

fi9gT1.jpg

First, I have tested my estimated size with a paper dummy, which was still a bit too small. rolleyes.gif

vOQPFJ.jpg

With the adjusted support plate of 0.3 mm Stytene it looks much better already. speak_cool.gif

paKRdg.jpg

HZ7iSd.jpg

So both plates can be glued now on the outlets in place. up040577.gif

Hello everyone,

fast nor a quick update, the lower support plate was once more modified slightly and now stands vertically,

MJX36r.jpg

and then it was glued above the outlet opening. cool.gif

tl3ZOF.jpg

And then came still the upper support.

qX9niA.jpg

U3CRqt.jpg

That's it for today. up040577.gif

Thanks Vince for your nice comment. :worship:

Yep, that's right, a bit too much heat can spoil everything. :woot.gif:

And therefore my Balsa jigs like straightjackets are so important. At this helpful solution I have fiddled long time. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

but first times still an addendum to the current state of the first two 18'' outlets with the support plates.

M8OAeV.jpg

And for the flattening of the outlet openings on the two other outlets I have my method still slightly modified. :thumbsup:

The opening can in fact even be better formed when one first uses a balsa rod which is flattened out gradually during heating,

DJ2yKn.jpg

xTFwWg.jpg

after which I've used one of the new opening adapted core.

TxY0Bf.jpg

And this gives a nearly perfectly shaped opening. :coolio:

GemYZo.jpg

Because of the different running lower curvature of these two outlets I had to remodel my Balsa clamp jig laterally reversed for adapting the lower support plates.

z4xv3L.jpg

8VjZra.jpg

0QNib4.jpg

Thanks for watching. up040577.gif

Thanks Mike for your nice compliment. :worship:

Hi folks,

here still a question to the expert round, what do you think wherefore these screwings are good for, which are located at all outlets (6'' - 9'' - 12'' - 18'') of the SSWS? hmmm.gif

JX9EwD.jpg

Of which there are a total of 18 pieces, top1.gif if I've counted correctly, although here some are covered.

up052234.jpg

Are these possibly vent openings or inspection ports? denknf8.gif

Edited by spaceman

At first glance I'd say those are high-point bleeds. Air gathers at high points in a liquid-filled system so means of bleeding air out are provided. I would assume that's only for pressure testing with the nozzles blocked off since they're normally open?.

Thanks Slartibartfast for your reponse. :worship:

I think, that vents shall probably not come into consideration, because the SSWS pipes are only during the launch under pressure. The rest of the time the entire system is open, from the two 36'' feed pipes in the SRB exhaust holes

I3k9vf.jpg

to all outlet openings of the two ring lines.

up051930.jpg

I rather think that these openings are probably some sort of inspection ports for access for Mini Cameras periodically to check the pipes for cracks and wear. Because at these pipe-bends the stress as well as the wear of the pipes are greatest, this makes most sense to me. top1.gif

In this respect I coincide with Jay Chladek, who I have asked via PM.

Hello everybody,

be that as it may, I've tried to scratch these nipples. cool.gif

As already indicated, the nipples are relatively small in my scale (1:160), only about 0.4 mm/0.2 mm in diameter and about 0.4 mm high. :blink:

2Y4GMn.jpg

If one would be pretty exactly, one might poke a brass rod Ø 0,2 mm into a brass tube Ø 0,4 mm with 0.09 mm wall thickness, as one can see here.

vFGGPo.jpg

But the tiny "screw" on the right side is hardly to be seen still. :rolleyes:

ZqBxEh.jpg

This couple one could now stuck into a 0.4 mm through-hole, but this effort is not worthwhile. i5684_no2.gif

Therefore, I would be satisfied with a Styrene variant, whereto I have drilled out my dummy outlet

8O00m5.jpg

and glued a short stub Styrene Ø 0.4 mm.

f6GyDu.jpg

And this stub I've then reduced to approx. 0.4 mm in height. :thumbsup:

y6jM5g.jpg

And since this result seems perfectly adequate, I will probably stick with it. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman