Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello everybody,

now to the supports on the inlet pipes. As they look, I know now, so I could start after the determination of the dimensions of the individual parts with the implementation. However beforehand the dimensions must be checked as always. rolleyes.gif

In the meantime, the pipes firmly adhere to the pipe lines that one has relatively stable conditions for testing their fitting.  

twcLdx.jpg

At first I have cut two small sickles out of the remains of the cut-out 8 mm discs, 

yPzpMK.jpg

which now have to be glued to the two rings above the locking plates on the outer wall of the shaft, the question is only how to do this without slipping?  hmmm.gif

Holding the tiny sickle to the ring with the tweezers is relatively difficult, especially since the line-shaped gluing site would be probably rather unstable.

qubi52.jpg 

On the other hand, a middle strip (1 mm x 1.8 mm) would be very helpful,

zJeJkc.jpg

because it would serve as a stop at the same time. 

hF89tB.jpg

Here the part is already glued,

NrFlO7.jpg

so that now the upper sickle could follow. And now only the small base plate is needed for attachment to the shaft wall, 

KRheTw.jpg

which can be seen here, 

mWQLiH.jpg
Source: NASA

Now the first support is finished, 

GSCrVU.jpg

and also the test at the shaft wall looks quite good. up046118.gif

rnhhyt.jpg

And tomorrow follows the support on the other inlet pipe.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

meanwhile also the second inlet pipe has got its support, cool.gif

fhpXM0.jpg

h53HYZ.jpg

tMRF0p.jpg

and both pipes fit well at the walls in the chamber corners. 

GhWDBl.jpg

Next followed the modeling of the transitions from the tubes to the ring lines, as usual again with  Apoxie Sculpt. up045518.gif

O31o8o.jpg

After thorough mixing of the two components, the mass was rolled into two thin rolls and modeled around the transitions. And as you can see at the rest of the pellet, I had misjudged it again, since the half would have been enough. rolleyes.gif

oQiZbv.jpg

Now I have to wait until the mass has hardened, in order to be able to shape the final contours of the transition, but there is something to be sanded off again.  up035091.gif 

And now to these two small details, which I at first did not pay much attention. But now I've figured out wherefore these parts are mounted there. top.gif

COoCi4.jpg

These are brackets specifically for the carrying ropes of the two Water bags, which are attached behind the inlet pipe. 

qywEXs.jpg
Source: flickr.com

The retaining strip is only a small strip (0.8 mm x 0.8 mm x 2 mm) and the deflection pulley even more tiny, but I simply want to try, whether it can still be scratched.  up040577.gif

Holey kow ... this is getting more and more sensational! The care in blending in the surfaces with Apoxie and then to even THINK of adding the little clip for the water bags ... I am in awe!

I don't know how you do it ... working at such a small scale and yet adding all this lovely detail!   :clap2:

With every post Manfred, you are out-doing yourself. :yahoo:

Hello everybody,

next followed the final processing of  the previously modeled transitions by removing superfluous material, whereby I tried to gently approach the concave shape, which can be seen at the left transition,

Nltt2y.jpg

and finally at both inlet pipes.  speak_cool.gif

YVGIbA.jpg

And so back to the fixing rail and guide roller at the upper end of the inlet pipes, which I have actually tried.  cool.gif

up053747.jpg

For this purpose, I used an Evergreen profile 0.75 mm x 0.75 mm for the fixing rail. For the bollard and the locking screw two Ø 0.3 mm holes were drilled and Ø 0.3 mm rods were sticked in. 

ORaWO3.jpg

And so my first prototype (2 mm) of the fixing rail looks like,  up045518.gif

df7EKY.jpg

which was tested and should fit already well. top.gif

cElejn.jpg

For the guide roller, I first tried to resaw a central recess into a 0.75 mm x 0.75 mm profile, which is not so easy with this "width". rolleyes.gif

QkdA2W.jpg

It would be even more difficult to drill the necessary holes for the roll (Ø 0.3 mm) in these minimal overhangs.  

U8edAC.jpg

That is why I re-drilled a little bit next to it and sawed the central recess a bit further, after which the bar for the roll let insert itself, albeit reluctantly. flehan.gif

eKo5JW.jpg

Subsequently, the rod was glued with MEK and separated off, and the supernatants were shortened and beveled.

kghKpo.jpg

When this tiny stub was cut off, however, the mishap then happened, because after that, it was unfortunately no longer findable. up043952.gif

So new game, new luck, but this time according to a modified method, in which I wanted to stick two 0.75 mm wide strips (0.15 mm), which I previously had drilled, on both sides of a rectangular strip 0.5 mm x 0.75 mm (bottom). cool.gif The longer strip I have bevelled with the razor blade on both sides immediately in front of the bore to simulate the triangular shape of the side walls. 

BcjZ8i.jpg

Then, the sides were threaded onto the bar, the rectangle strip was interposed and everything was fixed together between four steel scales, after which the composite was carefully sticked with MEK. 

n8J8Ic.jpg

To do this, it is sufficient to wet the parts only with the MEK brush as the MEK penetrates into the cracks and immediately performs its function. top2.gif

1svvSm.jpg

Then only the triangular shape with the razor blade was cut off at the front projection, and also the rod on both sides and the rear part.

And so the two parts now look, which seems to be quite useful, top.gif 

VW2FJU.jpg

VpyG5V.jpg

or what do you mean?  hmmm.gif

Well, these are only two tiny details, but they also had it in themselves again. The guide roller with < 1 mm lies in an area, which I really no longer wanted to scratch, but since there are only two parts, these exceptions are to confirm the rule. up040577.gif

Hello together,

in the meantime, I have also finished the second guide roller, which is why I am delighted, because these tiny parts can really hardly be handled sensibly, and one always runs the risk that they suddenly fly away - Goodbye forever! smiley_crazy.gif

1Yy3OR.jpg

So far, so good, but with the previous fixing rail I was still not quite satisfied, i5684_no2.gif since this is still somewhat more structured than my first prototype, which is why I still want to offer an update. cool.gif

When looking closely, it can be seen that the fixing rail consists of a base body on which a clamping strip with a small bollard for the tensioning cable of the Water bag sits, whose seat can be fixed by a locking screw at different height.

Most clearly one can see the structure on this picture, which is of MLP-3. a040.gif

2Tgt1v.jpg

On MLP-2, however, the clamping strips had been adjusted somewhat higher.

up053747.jpg

These clamping strips are similar to those that are attached on the SRB Blast shields for holding the remaining Water bags. cool.gif

And since we are just in details, these clamping strips were initially all screwed as one can see on this picture.

6F77g5.jpg
Source: capcomespace.net

Later on, they were partially welded on the blast shields and the locking screws were omitted, or not, as shown in this picture of the MLP-2. top.gif

up053738.jpg

BTW, only for a basic orientation of the size, which is always interesting, these clamping strips are actually about 25 cm long. shocked.gif

On my inlet pipe, however, this is only 1.6 mm (1:160), and consequently the clamping strip is only 0.75 mm x 1.6 mm and made of 0.15 mm Styrene,  which can be distinguished a bit from the basic body. 

ZKAuqn.jpg

Then the small hole (Ø 0.3 mm) for the bollard foot was drilled and a 0.3 mm round profile like a thread was threaded through a needle eye. And in order to  look more like a bollard, then I have glued at the end a thin disc from a 0.4 mm round profile. But to get this centrally was then again a true patience game and has worked only after several attempts. flehan.gif

After adjustment of the supernatant, the bollard was glued with MEK,

QznZ9C.jpg 

and then the rest on the underside was cut off. And finally, a thin disc (Ø 0.4 mm) was glued on as locking screw,

kn2yYN.jpg 

what can be seen somewhat better from the side. top2.gif

F49PR1.jpg

Here one can see the comparison with the first prototype,

LihFgN.jpg

and in the meantime, the second fixing rail has also been completed so that the assembly can now follow. speak_cool.gif

cids4O.jpg

However, previously comes the test fitting and alignment of the two parts on the inlet pipe, but whose macro-images are relatively indistinct due to the too low contrast differences of white/white objects.  rolleyes.gif

z54lat.jpg

XtGX5N.jpg

At even smaller distance the autofocus of my Digicam however is unfortunately at the end. shrug.gif

These details will become clearer only in the painted state, and as long as I have unfortunately to console you.  

Maybe I can present even better shots.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

after the holding rail and the guide roller are now also glued and can no longer fly away, today still a few better pics have succeeded to me,

8wCAFz.jpg

on which the details come out more clearly. speak_cool.gif

lyMBhd.jpg

QnlsPX.jpg

And here finally the first finished inlet pipe in the SRB chamber corner. top2.gif

YDpCnF.jpg

Well, the light conditions in such images are often crucial.  up040577.gif

Hello Guys,

meanwhile, the other inlet pipe has also got its holding rail and the guide roller. cool.gif

4xfTO9.jpg

GdFPtS.jpg

And for stimulation of the last rather dreary test fitting sceneries, I have again arranged the Rainbirds, which the picture  are rounding off a bit again. But this by no means should not distract from the supply pipes and their details, although now you only see that there is something on the top, but without being able to recognize it with the naked eye.  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

QCek5d.jpg

And then I have glued the first of the four back 18'' outlets onto the ring line, which had to be back into the Balsa corset so that nothing could slip away until the glue was drying.  huh.gif

x4dikH.jpg

Now I'm curious whether the ring line with the outlet can now be carefully removed out of the shaft, which I hope, or whether this is prevented by the lower support plate under the slope of the SRB support.  analintruder.gif Because then I would have a problem and would have to come up with a cool idea. denknf8.gif

So long and thanks for watching. up040577.gif

Hello together,

somehow I was apprehensive a bit already, but now it has unfortunately become certainty.  shocked.gif Not only the lower support plates under the slantings of the rear SRB-Supports are the hook, but the rear 18'' outlets per se, what I could have thought however with a more thorough consideration actually before. up040472.gif

PP4tF1.jpg

The ring line with the outlet can still be removed by moving it somewhat to the right and then pulling it upwards, 

Ykgc9W.jpg

but this does not work any more if the other outlet would be glued in the same way onto the inserted ring line.  i5684_no2.gif

It basically fails at the inward ends of these rear outlets with the outlet openings together with support plates, which would make the removal of the pipe skeleton impossible. But now I must digest this bitter realization first and sleep a night.  analintruder.gif
The case is complicated, but not hopeless, and I already have some ideas, einfall.gifthough this would not work again without minor surgery, omgsign.gif but thereto later more. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

the solution of the problem is also not so easy, because I would like to model the whole pipe skeleton with all outlets also at the transitions with Apoxie Sculpt and would like to install it completely after painting. rolleyes.gif

And that is why I will change my assembly sequence so far and first glue the four front 18" outlets between the SRB-Supports. Then I would carefully remove the two rear SRB-Supports as at the time when rebuilding the SRB chambers. analintruder.gif 

Afterwards I would glue the rear outlets with the support plates on the ring line and only finally at the end the two SRB-Supports glue again to the old place and adjust with the existing height stop. top2.gif
As far as my consideration, which is hitherto only gray theory, but should work in my opinion. up040577.gif

Now I can show a few photos from today's assembly of the next two front 18'' outlets with the rejuvenations on 12'' which sit between the SRB Supports. cool.gif

wnNX03.jpg

40YyrC.jpg

ls2cxe.jpg

HAvji2.jpg

eM7Y5m.jpg

As already indicated, I now have either to remove the rear outlet with the support plate for the assembly of the two opposing outlets, or immediately the SRB support. denknf8.gif

Wait and see. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello together,

I have chosen the last version and the SRB-Supports carefully removed and then attached with double-sided tape as a placeholder for the assembly of the outlets again. cool.gif

2NTGcN.jpg

The 9'' outlet I have not yet glued, because it would otherwise disturb during the modeling of the underlying transition from the ring line to the 12'' outlet. rolleyes.gif

3oIDbR.jpg

gjth80.jpg

Up to now it fits all together quite well.  up045518.gif

3lm6H5.jpg

ttpn6Z.jpg

saZNOM.jpg

And next, it can now go on behind the LOX-TSM with the transition from the ring line to the 16'' extension with the 12'' nozzle tube. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

today there is only a short update from the growing pipe skeleton around the left SRB shaft. cool.gif

As already announced, the ring line behind the LOX-TSM was extended by the 16'' tapering with the subsequent transition to the 12'' nozzle tube. Again, the precise and, above all, stable position of the ring line is important, for which purpose the line was again weighed down with a weight.  up045518.gif  

After the alignment of the nozzle pipe under the TSM the extended pipe was glued to the end of the ring line with MEK. 

VVWXxy.jpg

And even after removal of the weight, everything was still stable.

YSzdsk.jpg

Now only the already prepared two small 6'' outlets still have to be glued on the ring line, which lead into the SRB chamber, then the first ring line would be complete.

oY4Y47.jpg

That's it for today. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

i5684_no2.gif this was unfortunately too briefly thought. 

The two small 6'' outlets can not yet be glued as long as I still need the space behind the TSMs for the Balsa spacers in the corners to fix the position of the ring lines, in order to also to be able to mount the outlets on the other ring line in a stable position.  flehan.gif

At first, the rear 18'' outlet was glued with the two support plates. However, at that I was not aware that this time I had begun on the inside, and with that on the wrong side, but what was to become apparent only later.  analintruder.gif

bHKVJT.jpg

So it went on with the two outlets between the SRB-Supports.

TLbDCL.jpg

The two 9'' transitions are again only placed on and the small supports are only supported underneath. huh.gif

K9iaB7.jpg

And as one can see, even after taking away the spacers and weights, everything still fits together well and looks quite well. up045518.gif

5duAbb.jpg

zyNlBG.jpg

And the total view with the flock of birds also looks like cool.  Bild

nQtKSy.jpg

lpBTzJ.jpg

6naRuU.jpg

But when I wanted to extract the pipe skeleton, the shocking realization came that I had begun on the wrong side. up040472.gif Now the skeleton was blocked inwards by the three outlets and outwards through theinlet pipe in the shaft corner.  shocked.gif

But with the utmost caution and the necessary sensitivity, I then managed to move the rear outlet with the support plate around the SRB support. smiley_crazy.gif

dBlJ2j.jpg

Now I can again carefully remove the two SRB-Supports, in order to be able to mount the three external outlets on the inserted skeleton. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

before I mount the remaining three outer outlets on the ring line behind the LH2-TSM, I've ever thought about the further procedure. There is also the assembly of the many Pipe Supports to consider, on which the two ring lines as well as the twelve exits sit.  analintruder.gif

At that one has to distinguish between the supports of the ring lines, of which there are supports with and without a clamping ring, and those under the outlets, which have no clamping rings.  rolleyes.gif And since that all is difficult to distinguish between them, and the last-mentioned numbers are not quite correct, I have once again counted thoroughly and all supports marked in a new picture. 

But just do not be frightened please, shocked.gif I want to explain it immediately at one ring line. It is unfortunately rather a plan view, but on this image all supports are to see, or maybe only to guess, sorry.  huh.gif

p7WO3v.jpg

There are first the six small triangular supports (blue) at the outlets, of which I have to make five more, so overall still 11. rolleyes.gif

pQ31yO.jpg

And then there are a total of 20 outlets on each ring line, when I also keep count the high slender support under the 9'' outlet. 

While the ring line have clamping rings at the 14 red-marked supports, they are missing from the remaining six green-marked supports. Accordingly there are respectively 26 supports on both ring lines, in total therefore 52.  top2.gif

7FS39R.jpg

For the further assembly, I must now note that I must first attach the clamping rings at the places of the ring line, where the supports are sitting, and only after that, the supports can be glued with the ring line and finally all painted together. cool.gif

In order to demonstrate this already at the model, at first I have marked the support positions at the ring line and then arranged all my previous support, whereby I have now unfortunately forgotten the support under the 9'' outlet. flehan.gif

c4l9O9.jpg

tpVKTT.jpg

84iSgf.jpg

In addition to the still missing 11 triangular supports under the outlets, I also still need two of these simple support here, which are standing behind the TSMs on the SRB Blast Shields. up045518.gif

kYvHCo.jpg

And in the case of the clamping rings we were previous year already so far, rolleyes.gif

up047117.jpg

whereby for the favored right tensioning ring only the manufacturing method would have to be optimized, but I already have an idea. JC_idea.gif

That's what it should have been for today and thanks for watching.  up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

but always nice in sequence. cool.gif

Today, I got to work on the last two remaining Pipe Supports below the 16'' extensions (Ø 2.5 mm) of the ring lines in front of (respectively behind) the TSMs.

As can be seen from the photo already shown, the supports are similar in construction to the 24'' ring line (Ø 4.0 mm), but they are somewhat smaller and have only one sickle for holding the tube (Ø 2, 5 mm).  

In the dimensioning of the support and its individual parts, the clear height under the tube of 2.5 mm was decisive. Since for this smaller support the Evergreen U-profile (2.5 mm) appeared for me too clunky, I have it this time scratched from 0.25 x 2 mm and 0.25 x 0.75 mm strips. 

The tiny sickles are punched (Ø 2 mm) and have a web height of approx. 0.5 mm.  rolleyes.gif Since the initially provided foot parts resulted in a somewhat too high construction, 

NUvbCb.jpg

I went back again to smaller beads and discs. top.gif

qqSqzY.jpg

After the substructure was glued,

W4GphI.jpg

the tiny sickle was glued,

6LO283.jpg

and the first of the two supports was finished. top2.gif

A5n98E.jpg

And then I finally could exchange the previous dummy and replace with the new support, which fits well with its height under the tube.

jHRUSJ.jpg

Now I have still to clone this support only. up040577.gif

Hello guys

and here comes a short update about cloning the second support.  cool.gif

The second time everything is already somewhat easier, especially since the individual parts were already prepared. Merely the handling of the individual parts of these midgets is not easy, because even holding in the tweezers is not harmless, since they can easily jump away, therefore Safety first! shocked.gif

But if one clamp the U-profile between two rulers, this works quite well. And the small rod to thread the individual parts is, of course, absolutely helpful and therefore indispensable. top.gif

h2jmQ3.jpg

The gluing of the mini-sickle is then again the crowning conclusion. And now the umbilical stick can be separated off.

bKWSjS.jpg

Thereby the couple is completed. top2.gif

5b2eZo.jpg

And now it can go on with the missing outlets on the other ring line. up040577.gif

Thanks for watching. :worship:

Hello together,

after the dismantling and re-mantling of the SRB-Supports, the three outer outlets were mounted on the right-hand ring line. cool.gif

78jZlp.jpg

At it the bend of the rear outlet had to be adjusted somewhat, because it was a bit too long.  rolleyes.gif

IWjHL2.jpg

The next outlet has then fitted again right away.  up045518.gif

aZWae6.jpg

And also the front outlet had to be modified several times, smiley_worship.gif until it finally has fitted and I could give him my blessing. top.gif

S30XDy.jpg

WWTSf1.jpg

3OtZdP.jpg

69TUIc.jpg

Tomorrow it will go around the corner to the extension of the ring line with the transition to the nozzle pipe behind the LH2-TSM. up040577.gif

Hi there,

so, then I want to bring the extension of the ring line with the nozzle tube around the corner.  cool.gif

When looking at some NASAtech.net panoramas, I suddenly noticed again this clamping ring on the extension, which I had actually forgotten on the other side and now has to be installed later.  rolleyes.gif

Nk2qCA.jpg

It is, of course, easier to mount the extension if it is not yet glued to the ring line. And so I did this, whereby I used Lead wire (Ø 0.4 mm), which I have glued with MEK, yup, with MEK!!! top2.gif

And that actually works whether you believe it, or not. This astonishing effect I had noticed several times unpleasantly when gluing PE parts on a sheet metal underlay, which suddenly suddenly stuck to the underlay. smiley_worship.gif And this side effect benefited me this time, especially since the clamping ring has nothing great to resist.  speak_cool.gif 

oRbSf4.jpg

And here the extension is already glued and fits well around the corner of the TSM dummy. 

pgeR0D.jpg

HlMi6q.jpg

This must now harden in a stable position, 

EGKx6N.jpg

then it can go on. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

since the time for drying was more than sufficient, it has now gone on. cool.gif

It had still been missing the two remaining 6'' outlts on the ring line behind the LH2-TSM, which got their nipples again, 

nRw3e7.jpg

and then their clamping rings.

5FsWbK.jpg

And the thickenings at the foot points I have also indicated by rings. up045518.gif

4B3VWc.jpg

Then the two outlets were glued behind the LH2-TSM with MEK. To get the same clearance height, I have used a 2 mm rod as a spacer. top.gif

MF465g.jpg

sACKt9.jpg

Then followed the installation of the outlets on the other side behind the LOX-TSM

kDB2Mn.jpg

And without the annoying Balsa stabilizers it looks much more friendly.  speak_cool.gif

nd6Ncu.jpg

Therewith now all the pipes of the SSWS are finished and almost completely installed. top2.gif

NWNYDl.jpg

jen8Qb.jpg

pFUg2w.jpg

Now I can calmly turn to the remaining 11 triangular supports at the outlets.  happy.gif 

Then both ring lines skeletons have to be removed again and all the transitions must be modeled with Apoxie Sculpt, whereby I'm scared a bit when I imagine that action in detail ...  smiley_worship.gif

And then follows the exciting chapter Clamping rings.  up040577.gif

Thanks Mike for watching again and for your nice words. :worthy:

I am also fully satisfied with the results so far, so I had imagined the SSWS in my boldest dreams, but did not think that I would get so managed.  i5684_no2.gif

But before the pipe skeletons are now removed again, I have set free the wild flock of birds once again. top.gif

UAfw3Q.jpg

jD4cpd.jpg

jrIqJz.jpg

I always like to look at them again and again. up040577.gif

BTW,  I fully agree with you and can't wait to see them painted also. JC_doubleup.gif