Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Thanks Tracy,  :worship:

I fully agree with you, that it would certainly be difficult to remove the paint from these fragile parts, especially since the contact points should be clean for a good adhesive bond.  cool.gif And that would mean that the fragile sickle holders would have to be sanded gently, which would presumably not happen without breakages. smiley_worship.gif

But I've already considered whether I should not paint the spaces between the sickle holders with a fine brush by hand ...  denknf8.gif 

I have not painted anything with Airbrush for a long time, which is why I'm simply unsure whether such horizontal surfaces below the ring line would get enough paint. Furthermore the paint application has to be well dosed, which is why several thin layers are advisable and too much paint at one go should be avoided. top.gif

Because I would bite myself somewhere else if I would spoil my painstakingly scratched details by an unclean varnishing ...  analintruder.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

and because we have dealt with breakages, of which I had to complain already some at the ring line outlets, without damage the last action with the clamping rings unfortunately had not ended. smiley_worship.gif 

On closer inspection, I have noticed unfortunately that the small nipples on the outer two 6 '' outlets behind the TSMs after the felt 100.000 twists and turns when clamping the ring lines must have been broken, up043952.gif which I had not noticed so far. 

That is why, for a change, cosmetic operations were announced today, because something like that bothers me, even though it would hardly be noticed by somebody else's. rolleyes.gif

These OPs are, however, rather delicate, since the outlets are only thin round bars (Ø 1 mm), into which still thinner rods (0.3 mm) have been glued as nipples. That is why I have first carefully sanded off the remaining stumps and then still more cautiously drilled small holes with Ø 0,3 mm, but for which I first had to think on a clever clamping condition of the ring line for a stable support.speak_cool.gif

Seek and you shall find, and here the nipple rod is already glued again with a little overhang, which now only needs to be shortened accordingly, what but also does not so easily go out of cupped hands. i5684_no2.gif

cw0Zv0.jpg

For the cutting off the supernatant then a different support had to be found and to be newly clamped again,

kAuyY8.jpg

so that the rod also has a stable support and can not break off. cool.gif

KCTQR0.jpg

But that worked out well, 

l9Im2f.jpg

as one can see here.

KP1DGM.jpg

And the same OP then synonymous still at the other ring line, as before. up045518.gif

r0I9O1.jpg

ylmkeO.jpg

1gfFKB.jpg

And so the damages have been remedied again. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

in the last few days I have finally brought myself to start with the gluing of the Pipe Supports under the ring line behind the LOX-TSM, for which the already announced removal of the rear SRB Supports was necessary. rolleyes.gif

Since I can carry out the gluing of the supports only step by step, in order to be able to check their seat, I have to remove the ring line now and then, and because I did not want to risk anything, I have removed the disruptive rear SRB Supports. cool.gif

For gluing of the pipe supports, the ring line was then introduced again and its exact seat fixed with the spacers. After that, I tried as a first variant the gluing with MEK and have initially positioned and aligned only three supports under the ring line, as well as dabbed the contact points of the sickle holders on the outer side carefully with a fine brush with MEK, which should be sufficient for a first hold. denknf8.gif

dYFzCq.jpg

And as one can see in this picture, that was actually already sufficient.  speak_cool.gif

Tl4JDv.jpg

Since in the bracket-holder I can reach now the remaining contact places of the sickle holders from all sides, I can now also glue them completely.    up045518.gif
And so it can then gradually go on with the next supports.  up040577.gif

Hi all together,

for the gluing of the next Pipe Supports I used again my approved bracket-holder in the mini vise, which is best suited for this. up045518.gif

With this I have much more freedom of movement for the assembly and can adjust the position of the ring line so that the already attached three Supports lay flat on the support block and I can push the next supports below the line by slightly raising and arbitrarily align.  cool.gif

Then I also modified the gluing technique, whereby I carefully dab the normal Revell plastic glue onto the sickle holders with a acupuncture needle, then push the support under the raised ring line and then lower it. This allows for even smaller position corrections until the support sits in the right place. After that, the ring line is still weighted down, so that it can be fixed firmly on the spot. 

Then I can then take the mini vice with clamped ring line in the hand and stabilize the sickle holders also still from inside and outside with MEK, which should give them the final hold. top.gif

And this technique I have here exercised with the two Supports behind the corner bow, which also worked great. a040.gif

OGsVL1.jpg

KJ9UEO.jpg

And in the same way it went on down the straight line. 

5ZoozH.jpg

OTOIgB.jpg

xgEelR.jpg

4zVJU5.jpg

And now they hang in rank and file and look  speak_cool.gif

pEA4xf.jpg

Then came the three flatter supports sitting on the Blast Shield, which I have glued with inserted ring line.

vKpy4B.jpg

Qg2GDd.jpg

And finally, I have glued the small support under the 16'' rejuvenation behind the LOX-TSM, which has only one sickle holder.  

rUHF9f.jpg

So I want to let it go for today.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

today I want only present a few pictures about the gluing of the six Pipe Supports on the inside of the ring line behind the LOX-TSM, which took place in the same way.  cool.gif

67Tyw4.jpg

sGbqpQ.jpg

RG4TFA.jpg

zWVcNw.jpg

And tomorrow it will go on with the gluing of the first six triangular supports (left) at the outlets of this ring line,

up054256.jpg

which hopefully will work similarly well.  up040577.gif

Hello folks,

as hoped for, the gluing of the first three triangular supports went smoothly, as can be seen in the following pictures. cool.gif

IZBbhH.jpg

S9gOhC.jpg

nPlfYf.jpg

And then the three supports at the outlets on the inside of the ring line had their turn. top.gif

cl6LNP.jpg

wBLjOV.jpg

NJlsHN.jpg

So far so good, now I need to repeat the same procedure only still on the other ring line behind the LH2-TSM. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

but before I go on with the gluing of the supports on the other ring line, I want to start (again) with the preparation of the Water Bags, which I had already begun a long time ago, until the reconstruction of the SRB exhaust holes up to 1:144 has stopped me. smiley_worship.gif

Since I now intend the presentation of the MLP both with and without Water Bags, I first had to think about how best to solve this constructively. denknf8.gif

These elongated foil water bags, which are suspended into the SRB shafts, are filled with water only to a height of 12" (approx. 30 cm), as can be seen here again. 

SyCAb5.jpg
Source: NASA

With a width of the (most) bags of also 12'' and a length of 20' (6,10 m shaft width), the result is about 550 liters of water per bag, which corresponds exactly to the volume of my aquarium. top.gif

First, I want to start with the bags in the back of the chamber (Secondary SRB Hole), with the first part reaching from the shaft back wall to the 18'' outlets (Ø 46 cm) which contains 18 of these red bags. This will inevitably become a few less for my MLP because of the modification of the SRB holes ...  up035091.gif

As can be seen in this picture, the first water bag is hanging between the chamber back wall and the 36'' feed pipe (Ø 91 cm) and is therefore somewhat narrower than the other bags in front of the pipe. The next two bags are somewhat wider than the remaining ones and also shortened in front ot the feed pipe, which should be taken into account in the following design.  cool.gif

VDun9o.jpg
Source: flickr.com (Andrew Sheer)

So I first took measurements and made a new template for the partition walls,  

vpE4gY.jpg

and therefore get to work! up045518.gif

Since the distance between the back wall and the feed pipe is rather small, the first bag can be only 1,5 mm wide.  

tuyIjT.jpg

For the gluing of the parts with MEK, I have carefully placed Teflon foil underneath.  top.gif

uuK4rg.jpg

RkzBhE.jpg

jZHbD9.jpg

Since the bag has a bit jammed during insertion, the length had to be adjusted slightly.  rolleyes.gif

6akCcd.jpg

Therefore the question for insertion came up, so it is probably more favorable to insert the bags later from the bottom into the shaft with installed ring line, because the SRB Blast Shield slightly protrudes at the top edge and therefore would disturb. undecided.gif

2Qljmr.jpg

And now to the small-scale production of the individual parts. For the "normal" bags I will use a square profile (2 mm x 2 mm) for the lower webs, and for the partition walls 0,2 mm Styrene Sheet by Evergreen. 

Kp8BzH.jpg

The next time, however, it will go on with the two wider bags next to the feed pipe (Ø 6,2 mm), for which I will use a rectangular profile (3 mm x 2 mm), after which the normal bags will then follow.  up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Absolutely right, up045518.gif 

therefore they should be removable, so I can show both versions, with and without Water bags. 8)

But you bring me to an idea, JC_idea.gif  maybe I'll only equip one SRB hole with water bags, then one can see both at the same time. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

here is the next step on the way to the Water Bags, which are going to be composed of several parts, but beautifully in sequence, just like during the later assembly.  cool.gif

The first part is the slightly narrower bag (1.5 mm web width) behind the feed pipe, which is already finished and could already be seen in the last post.  

up056233.jpg

The next part extends up to the two 18'' outlets to which these individual parts belong, 

Gc6qGW.jpg

which must be carefully cut out so that the bag package becomes uniform. top.gif Below the scissors lie the wider webs (3 mm x 2 mm) and the shortened partition wall for the two bags next to the feed pipe,  

WGWxgC.jpg

which were next glued. 

4H3Qus.jpg

Then the longer partitions with the "normal" webs (2 mm x 2 mm) follow.

QxR4t2.jpg

zUqbJe.jpg

8bYa2E.jpg

And so the first assembly test looks, which shows that the bags fit quite well and it can equally go on up to the 18'' outlets.  speak_cool.gif

lNK9Ir.jpg

Then the third part follows, starting with the bag between the two outlets and the following two "normal" bags, followed by the two short bags between the two rear MLP Support Posts, which unfortunately are covered by the guy in the bluey.  rolleyes.gif

J5VSrU.jpg
Source: flickr.com (Jen Scheer)

I hope I can insert this connected third part from above, as well as the remaining three short bag parts on the side walls and the front shaft wall.  

up028418.jpg
Source: youtube.com (Michel Mephit)

So much for the moment. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

here are a few pictures of the continuation of the gluing of the Water Bags in the SRB shaft behind the LOX-TSM. cool.gif

IZ7R9S.jpg

And so it went on.

fIZ9z8.jpg

I had to pay attention to the fact that the package could not move upwards, for which I clamped it between magnets and pressed the central webs gently down onto the pad each time and held it tight for a moment.  rolleyes.gif

Lkk4ER.jpg

In this way, I have glued ten bags behind the inlet pipe, 

lNDFbv.jpg

which extend to the two 18'' outlets.  speak_cool.gif

xyHJd9.jpg

XXtJ9u.jpg

Then it goes on with the third part, which begins with the wider bag between the outlets. top.gif

As an encore I still have this interesting video, in which the ingenious principle of the SSWS is very impressively illustrated and explained, which one or another may already know. 

Noise Reduction Technology in Space Shuttle's Lift off Using WATER MIST

Enjoy this cool video. up040577.gif

Thanx for the video Manfred! I'll have to do some research on the Water Bags to find out what they do. They must be destroyed during the launch ... :hmmm:

And your assembly process of the Water Bags is ... BRILLIANT!!  :thumbsup:

When you glued the SSWS to the MLP, if I recall, the surface is paper ... if that's correct, did you just use white glue or MEK ... or did you, in fact, attach the SSWS to the MLP?

I hope you're very pleased with your progress so far ... it is remarkable!  :worship:   and wonderful to watch!

Pete

3 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Thanx for the video Manfred! I'll have to do some research on the Water Bags to find out what they do. They must be destroyed during the launch ... 

:hmmm:

Thanks Pete for your nice words. :worship:  Great, that you are also interested in the technical backgroung. up045518.gif

The water bags are destroyed during the launch of course, as a result of the gigantic acoustical energy as well as the brutal hot SRB exhaust gases. :gr_eek2:

BTW, one day after a launch, the MLP deck usually looked like the one on this picture, where one can clearly see the rust on the bare metal. These are, however, only cosmetic damage, which after a thorough pad wash down (PWD) was first remedied by sandblasting and subsequent overpainting.

up054881.jpg

Source: NASASpaceFlight.com Forum (padrat)

The red shreds in the fence about 300 m away is a part of the water bags. eek.gif

up054879.jpg

The grass all around began to grow again within a few weeks ...

up054877.jpg

When you glued the SSWS to the MLP, if I recall, the surface is paper ... if that's correct, did you just use white glue or MEK ... or did you, in fact, attach the SSWS to the MLP?

Slowly Pete, the SSWS is still not glued on the MLP, i5684_no2.gif  the surface of which is paper, that's correct. Only after having airbrushed the ring lines with all supports and outlets I can glue them, which I actually wanted to do with CA. 

But now you have given me an idea, JC_idea.gif  to try it out, about which I have never thought so far, to glue Styrene on paper with MEK ... denknf8.gif

And lo and behold, that works even, speak_cool.gif unbelievable.  00003423.gif

This greatly simplifies the bonding of the pipe supports on the deck, because I do not have to lift them extra. top2.gif

I hope you're very pleased with your progress so far ... it is remarkable!  :worship:   and wonderful to watch!

Pete

Yeah, Pete, I am surprised by the results and fully satisfied so far. yahoo.gif

Thanks my friend for your inspiration. lob3.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello guys,

before I go on with the next Water Bags, I have made a test arrangement with the Shuttle stack on the MLP to look at the space conditions in the front part of the shaft (Primary SRB Hole), in which then the shorter bags have to be mounted around the SRB. cool.gif

The lineup of the stack was, of course, again a shaky affair, which had to be carried out with the utmost caution in order to avoid fatal crashes. eek.gif

RCSBjt.jpg

KeTSOC.jpg

PZAzi7.jpg

NXgUmV.jpg

5pbtfL.jpg

And after this overall impression I put the stack aside and have only placed the support posts upright, in order to get a better view for the further consideration.  

JzMFfz.jpg

kn9DWW.jpg

And so that the support posts cannot always slip away, I have made a small template of the SRB Aft Skirt. top2.gif

3a9IZh.jpg

CmJ9Xr.jpg

And after this detailed view, I then scratched the next two bags, the wider front bag of which is sitting between the two 18'' outlets.

p0Or6q.jpg

And these two fit well so far already to the previous bags, wherewith the Secondary SRB Hole would be covered up.  speak_cool.gif

73Pzyo.jpg

So far again for today. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and with the clear-sightedness template, the perspective is naturally even better.  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Df1SzB.jpg

So then let's go on with the two short middle Water bags in the front shaft section right in front of the SRB, as can be seen in this picture from the STS-2.

EFTzR0.jpg
Source: NASA

And here we go with these two bags in "handbag format", which are made quickly. top.gif

llncVX.jpg

Qof4W7.jpg

And they fit well into the gap between the SRB Supports,

43A2CR.jpg

and thus also between the MLP Support Posts

FquVSa.jpg

bDxMot.jpg

The same two bags sit directly in front of the front shaft wall and have their turn now. top.gif

T6EXR9.jpg

And so slowly the Primary SRB Hole fills up. top2.gif

k1xk6k.jpg

Tomorrow the two side Water Bags will be added. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

today I will scratch the side Water Bags, for which the parts have been prepared.  cool.gif

5FkDnM.jpg

The gluing on the PTFE foil was unproblematic again.  speak_cool.gif

izI0sh.jpg

The outer bag had to be slightly shorter, so that it fits between the two 12'' outlets. 

vffQiO.jpg

After the first side bags were ready, I realized that I had cut two sheets too little.  up040472.gif But that was quickly done, 

sUxx3y.jpg

and here both bags are ready, 

Pdr46C.jpg

which could then be tried in the shaft. top.gif

1VgOPC.jpg

And as one can see, they fit well between the MLP Support Posts

zMmZdx.jpg

Avx4Bf.jpg

aKf1aM.jpg

k4IpBJ.jpg

The left SRB shaft is fully equipped now and so I can turn to the right shaft tomorrow, in order to glue the Pipe Supports under the ring line. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

but until now I was not able for doing so, because other interesting things have distracted me. 8)

And because it just fits to the SSWS, here out of sequence, a look over to the Pad 39A, on which one now more often can admire the SSWS of SpaceX, which looks something different. top.gif

For me, these pictures were new and extremely interesting, which is why I want to show them here briefly.  speak_cool.gif

Here is a picture of a SpaceX Water Deluge Test with a linked huge HiRes shot, :o

33023773581_2bf5259335_o.jpg
Source: flickr.com/NASA Kennedy (Kim Shiflett)

and here in full action at the recent launch of the Falcon 9. eek.gif

C8Q6kapUwAAhrs-.jpg
Source: twitter.com/NASASpaceflight (Ben Cooper)

and here a shot from the FSS perspective. up040577.gif

C8Q6k84V0AAdLDB.jpg
Source: twitter.com/NASASpaceflight (Ben Cooper)

But one will have to become adjusted slowly to these pictures from Pad 39A ... cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Those are wonderful pictures ... thanx!

And your Water Bags are ... just ... WOW!! The care and consideration you're taking in this build is just ... blowing my mind! The fit of your short and side water bags is per-r-rfect!

It simply amazes me!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thanx for the updates ...  !

Pete

Thanks Pete for your nice remarks, :worship:

BTW, I don't know how you are feeling, but this image hurts me somehow, when I see that the RSS now is also going dismanteled piece by piece ...up043952.gif 

C8NN5LCVoAEd5je.jpg

Source: twitter.com (Ben Cooper)

But the memories of this fantastic shuttle years will remain forever ... up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

today to the gluing of the Pipe Supports under the ring line behind the LH2-TSM.

First, I have glued the three supports on the SRB Blast Shield, because this determines the clear height of the ring line over the MLP deck, under which the rest of the supports must find place.  cool.gif

vNkCFC.jpg

How remeasurements of the height of the supports have shown, the latter fluctuates by 0.1 - 0.2 mm,  gruebel.gif which is why I initially placed them only provisionally under the ring line, 

t84UJ6.jpg

so as to be able to compensate for minor differences by replacing the supports. hmmm.gif

BThXBl.jpg

Afterwards, I then glued the front, middle and rear support, so as to get a uniform alignment in the longitudinal direction. 

KNHF7s.jpg

After that, I have removed the ring line again and went back to the bracket holder in the mini vise, which offers more degrees of freedom for the gluing of the supports. top.gif

WsWjEi.jpg

9eVRc8.jpg

After this strand was completely equipped, 

sKxLwg.jpg

it went on behind the front bow. 

O92MJG.jpg

Yp0rnl.jpg

R8xyTI.jpg

For gluing of the six supports on the inside of the line and the six triangular supports under the outlets I then have inserted the ring line again into the shaft. 

z1GrwJ.jpg

So far again for today. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

now there is only one last assembly step to complete the difficult SSWS chapter, which I want to do today. speak_cool.gif

Now there are only 12 supports left, and after the position of the ring line was stabilized, I have begun with the gluing of the first six supports under the ring line, 

Av9Ijq.jpg

and so it went on to No. 6. cool.gif

jvlkbD.jpg

Next came the six triangular supports under the outlets, top.gif

48kfj6.jpg

First on the Blast Shield at the inside of the shaft,

knacTE.jpg

and then on the outside. 

0LXLls.jpg

And after the small support under the 16'' rejuvenation was glued still, the deed is actually done and the SSWS thus finally completed,  yahoo.gif or is there still something missing? denknf8.gif 

cYw237.jpg

You are right, of course, since the two slim Supports are still missing under the 9'' transitions, which I quickly added. And to the celebration of the day the Rainbirds are also coming along in order to finally round out the picture.  up045518.gif

rFT5Co.jpg

ysVQQY.jpg

And here with a little better light, further panorama perspectives of the SSWS Status Quo.  

Olkxy4.jpg

v1fyJP.jpg

a1U2cC.jpg

BfoSuB.jpg

94DPLF.jpg

CHg1k4.jpg

ZYhpg6.jpg

DTFRva.jpg

gLqIEQ.jpg

But this should be enough now, and so I will now look in on the paint shop, whether the guys eventually have time and desire. up040577.gif

But before Easter nothing will happen anyway, and so I just want to wish you all ostern027.gif

Thanks Mike for your congrats, up040576.gif

I also find that the result after several starts is rather impressive and I'm also fully satisfied and enthusiastic. hurrah.gif

The SSWS in its entirety was a hard nut and took lots of effort and was, above all, very time consuming, but so I had always imagined it, denknf8.gif wherefore all the effort was really worth it. up040577.gif

After this milestone has now been reached, I can sit back for a moment and so my tired eyes can relaxe a little bit ... cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

the break was really long enough, but after the SSWS stress it has benefited me. up045518.gif

To the warm-up I have first done some small things, which I have kicked so far down the road again and again. cool.gif

There were initially still to do the openings for the Rainbirds, what were now finally made. Since the openings in the paper kit were somewhat too small, they had to be corrected anyway. In addition, I had deepened them too far already, since they should only be about 0.5 mm deep. 

up057236.jpg

And so the MLP deck looks now from above.

up057237.jpg

After that, I went to the Stair Housing once more, with which I was not completely satisfied, especially since it was built in an early stage, in which I was still not as exacting and crazy for details as today. rolleyes.gif

Since the housing from the Paper Kit especially at the back with the door looked relatively pale,

up057238.jpg

I had it at that time a bit weathered, which then but became a bit too dark. In addition, I had now found some detail photos, which have naturally animated me for scratching.  JC_idea.gif

In this picture one can see some details that seemed to me feasible, especially this red warning bell in the upper left corner. 

up057239.jpg
Source: capcomespace.net

Here is a similar picture from that time from the other side. 

zQ7uNA.jpg
Source: www.apollosaturn.com (John Duncan)

This is why I built the housing once again, and now I find that the coloring, except for the too bright door, it fits better into the picture than the old one, which in turn is pure taste.   up035091.gif

up057241.jpg

And now to the required small parts, e.g. this bell. At first, I had thought of small red discs, which I had punched out of the cap of a thumbtack, which should be about 1.4 mm in diameter.

Then, of course, there are also pin needles with correspondingly small, flat head, which I dipped briefly in red color, which looks almost even better. denknf8.gif

For the red box underneath the bell, I used the holder of an interdental brush, from which I have cut off one of these side pins, which correspond to the required size with 1 mm x 1 mm.  up045518.gif

up057242.jpg

As one can see in the pictures, the bell sits on a small support or socket, which I still need to color. 

up057243.jpg

up057244.jpg

Then I tried the lower longer locking lever made of 0.3 mm steel wire, which is inserted in a brass pipe (0.4 mm) and could be rotated thereby. The ball handle is a glue drop, but it is still a bit too big.  huh.gif

up057245.jpg

Since the lever seems to be too long and too thick on the housing, I have tried the whole thing again a little smaller and shorter, with brass wire 0.2 mm in a 0.3 mm brass tube, but still without a ball handle.   

up057246.jpg 

This could already look better and should be tried on today.  up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

and so on with the equipment of the Stair Housing with some accessories, which has now also got a new door with a from red to green foldable warning sign, cool.gif of which I have unfortunately shot no close-up. rolleyes.gif

The two locking levers I have bent once more using 0.2 mm brass wire, which are in a brass tube (Ø 0.3 mm), here the longer lower lever, 

hFzhnv.jpg

and here together with the smaller upper lever, both with a small glue ball. 

FmUChy.jpg

After both levers were painted gray, 

Q4nJV0.jpg

they could also be installed, and the red warning bell and the small box underneath are already attached, wherewith the Stair Housing is finished and looks good so far.  speak_cool.gif

kKrNNu.jpg

And here are some pictures with the housing on the MLP top deck. top2.gif

L24Uun.jpg

UjViXy.jpg

HjVWiH.jpg

Ymz5sP.jpg 

BMv71N.jpg

Again only a small step, but at least a little progress ...   up040577.gif

Yeah, now one can hear the bell ringing ... file.php?avatar=9546_1448235804.gif

Edited by spaceman