Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hi,

I know David Maier made his announcement true and his great kit is available now on the market. And that is without any doubt a great achievement, which earns respect.

Therefore everyone has now the free selection and can freely decide, after which variant he wants to build its Launch pad, and in which scale. Crucial the time always is for the modeler, on which he begins his build and which kits he already has or would like to use for.

Some build everything only for OOB and others build everything with scratch building. And then there are still people like me, which find a middle course as compromise and are thereby contently. As said, about it everyone can decide freely …

:wave:

Hello guys,

thank you for your helpful comments and Mark for the Website with the 3D models, very interestig models.

And it continued to go with the preparation of MLP Blast deck. So that this very flat part should not bend with the sticking assembly in the center and to remain stable in itself, I imagined that a reinforcement from Balsa would be completely appropriate.

blastdeck1.jpg

After bonding the Balsa board inside, the lateral chamfers were glued to. After this Blast deck could to be glued at its intended place. One must look already exactly, in order to recognize the flat part.

blastdeck2.jpg

Subsequently, I have prepared the covering of the SSME Blast chamber, where must still reinforcement profiles be drawn in. For it I used the painted 1x1 mm profiles and cut of it 34 pieces on length.

blastchamberstege2.jpg

And then the profiles with tweezers and superglue were glued, and so then one after another came to its place. That was, as already feared, a rather stressful affair. But then it (and also myself) was bushed. :woot.gif:

blastchamberstege3.jpg

And then are missing "only" still the reinforment profiles (1x1 mm) at the rear walls of the SRB Blast chambers, I wanted to scratch build also. For the lateral profiles I used paper strips copied from the kit.

But I state only straight ones that I must airbrush for it only again which. There I must have miscounted myself probably somehow.

Therefore followed next only still the preparation of the parts for the Blast shields over the 3 chambers. On the left side there are the parts for the underbody, into which for reinforcement an insert from cardboard (right) is glued, and below them the upper covers lie.

blastshields2.jpg

The SSME Blast shield is interrupted by the recesses for the two Tail service of masts (TSM). The front part of the Blast shields is already completely glued on the picture, with underbody inclusive reinforcement and cover. After bonding the cardboard reinforcement then also the underbody of the SRB Blast shields could be glued on the deck.

blastshieldssrbunterbau.jpg

With covering the underbody I will however wait still until the reinforcment profiles (1x1 mm) at the rear walls of the SRB Chambers are glued, since there is otherwise possibly no clean edge.

Edited by spaceman

Therefore I planned still the shifting of the reinforcement profiles at the MPL-Side 3, which is fortunately not completely as complex structured up to the middle small articles as the other sides. Thus first again the necessary profiles were suitably cut,

stegerckseite.jpg

then each part with the tweezers moved, with a toothpick the back carefully with Superglue dabs, and then with calm hand glued on first attempt in the correct position on the intended place. And in such a way it finally looks if everything folded.

stegerckseitefertig.jpg

Now only still the two outside profiles (4x1,5 mm) are missing, which must be only still painted however.

Since I with the upper cover of the SRB Blast shields myself some more wait must, next were the Hold downs with the supports for the two SRB's. Those are the mounting plates of the Boosters rockets into the SRB holes. In the following picture one can see two of it, the wedge-shaped supports, four of them carry a SRB in each case. Front the two are in the picture behind it and are covered.

srbholddowns.jpg

source: NASA

And it went loosely with the preparation:

srbholddownsbalsa.jpg

First I cut out a part and folded it (above). According to building guidance one should strengthen the parts inside with several layers of cardboard (see black master, left). In addition I seized and in each case the proven Balsa wood back a thicker (left) and a thinner part (right) sticks together with one another. That is necessary, because the Hold downs are not symmetrical and have a diagonal ladder at a side.

srbholddownspapier.jpg

Folding and bonding the Balsa cores was already a considerable petting. :woot.gif: There one is probably faster finished, if one parts from a full Sheet blank would file. But then the eight parts finished product finite and lay ready for assembly

srbholddowns.jpg

and could be bonded into the SRB Holes.

srbhd1.jpg

srbhd2.jpg

Now are missing on the Hold Downs only the four supports, that are in the following picture the grey cones with the red covers. Does someone by the way know, for what those are exactly there?

srbgitter.jpg

And that they are to become then times, but today no more. ;)

srbsupports.jpg

I just hafta say, David Maier's artwork looks a-may-zing and gorgeous!! The research that he seems to have invested in his product, and each individual part, is tremendous!

Manfred, your usage of it as a baseline, as a starting point, is brilliant! And the reference photos you are locating and using, are remarkable!

May I also ask, how accurate is Mr Maier's artwork. Are you finding major inaccuracies in his placement of parts? As an example, are the dimensions and location of his "blast pits" off by 12 mm or are they exact? (I must say they LOOK exact, but I am just curious. I will be buying his Crawler and would simply like to know if I will need to double check every sub-assembly for accuracy.)

Thanx so much for posting your progress! :thumbsup:

Can you also tell me, as you seem to be a Master paper modeler, have you been building paper models for some time?

Pete

I just hafta say, David Maier's artwork looks a-may-zing and gorgeous!! The research that he seems to have invested in his product, and each individual part, is tremendous!

Manfred, your usage of it as a baseline, as a starting point, is brilliant! And the reference photos you are locating and using, are remarkable!

May I also ask, how accurate is Mr Maier's artwork. Are you finding major inaccuracies in his placement of parts? As an example, are the dimensions and location of his "blast pits" off by 12 mm or are they exact? (I must say they LOOK exact, but I am just curious. I will be buying his Crawler and would simply like to know if I will need to double check every sub-assembly for accuracy.)

Thanx so much for posting your progress! :thumbsup:

Can you also tell me, as you seem to be a Master paper modeler, have you been building paper models for some time?

Pete

Pete,

thanks for the encouraging words and compliments. David Maier's Paper kits are all in all great, have however small inadequacies. With it some fine-structured ranges are every now and then only hazily with textures suggested, in particular lattice structures etc., which are then represented only in such a way than “Black boxâ€Â, what me please personally not in such a way, why I try to then scratch build it.

What do you mean with "blast pits" and "are the dimensions and location of his "blast pits" off by 12 mm or are they exact?" Which dimensions interest you, can you draw it in the photo?

You will not believe it perhaps, but I built my last paper models (airplanes, helicopters, sails) in my childhood before approx. 40 years.

Hi Mark,

thanks for your great photos, you can explain the function of the devices somewhat?

They hold the shuttle in place for a few seconds after engine ignition. They are released once the engines come up to full power.

David Maier's Paper kits are all in all great, have however small inadequacies. With it some fine-structured ranges are every now and then only hazily with textures suggested, in particular lattice structures etc., which are then represented only in such a way than “Black boxâ€Â, what me please personally not in such a way, why I try to then scratch build it.

What do you mean with "blast pits" and "are the dimensions and location of his "blast pits" off by 12 mm or are they exact?" Which dimensions interest you, can you draw it in the photo?

I think you just answered my question, Manfred. :thumbsup:

I used the "blast pits" just as a crazy example of the paper kit's accuracy. I will assume that the height, length and width are accurate, but what I'm curious about is ... have you found any minor or major mistakes. Maybe I can give other examples ... Is the placement of the various platforms on the sides of the MLP accurate? Is the layout of the piping accurate? In other words, if I compared the paper kit to a photo, is it the same? :hmmm:

Thank you for your reply! And I'm surprised that you're fairly new to paper modeling. Your building method is very precise, no wrinkles, the folds seem perfect, the work with the platforms is precise too, plus your woodwork ... and at such a small scale!

I look forward to every new posting! :popcorn:

Pete

To your catchword D. Maier's paper kit's accuracy, Pete:

I can your considerations reconstruct and yours ask am also entitled. I can say to it the following to you.

You speak of minor or major mistakes and sound first times not positively. But there are actually such, let me say, inaccuracies in David's kits, without wanting to step it too close.

Let's take your example the Access Platforms on MLP-Side 1. In this photo one can see paper kit divides of the Access platforms 1, 2 and 4. Exhibition you the parts of AP 1 and AP 1A on, that are upper and bottom side of the platform.

bogenl.jpg

source: EDU-Craft Diversions (D. Maier)

If you compare with the following photo, you see the differences in design and arrangement between the kits profiles and those of the original profiles at the bottom side, which deviate clearly from each other. :(

s1lmitteap1profilegitte.jpg

And in the meantime I stated the fact that the two Equipment pallets (AP 1 C, AP 1 D) are not completely correct. And the part of AP 1 E is as an example of a "Black box", as I in addition say, a structure with a texture, the details only hazily suggest.

I hope, yours ask thereby to have answered. One should however always remember that 1:144 is a relatively small scale for the illustration of details. :rolleyes:

Hello together,

I left the 8 supports for the Hold Downs first times aside. But I operated again some photo searches for further detailing of the MLP side panels and prepared and afterwards painted the plastic profiles necessary for it.

Those are among other things the bracket sections at the four corners of the MLP (1), the “rain pipes†profiles (2) at the top margin of the Sides 2 and Side 4 with the associated downspouts (3), as well as further square and flat profiles, so among other things also the still which is missing 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars at the rear walls of the SRB Holes.

mlp16details.jpg

There they lie now and wait for the final cut.

weitereprofile.jpg

It continued to go again at the rear walls of the SRB Holes. And as if I would have suspected it, already only the cut of the 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars had it in itself. That were per one Hole 35 profiles of different length, whereby the smallest pieces at the upper ends were “long†scarcely 2 mm. The “crumbs†cut and still hold at the same time, go actually not at all, also not with tweezers. And the 70 profiles with superglue on the correct place to then glue separately, that was already one considerable wearing down and stressful number. :woot.gif:

But it is creative now, wow !!! :rolleyes:

3holes.jpg

And I am actually completely content with the result. Nevertheless so still a nuance sees more genuinly out in the comparison with the photo detail. But altogether it was nevertheless more complex, than I had at first presented it to me. One has that now from its detail fad. :blink:

3holes2.jpg

And it is only for the sake of completeness mentioned that thereby now finally also SRB Blast Shields cover could be glued together.

And in such a way it looks from downside.

3holesvu.jpg

But already still some profiles and further details wait there for me! If I think there only of the pipes for the Sound Suppression Water System or the LH2 and LO2 pipes …

You speak of minor or major mistakes and sound first times not positively. But there are actually such, let me say, inaccuracies in David's kits, without wanting to step it too close.

Thank you Manfred ... for the comprehensive answer! :thumbsup:

Inaccuracies like that, I can accept! :D

Pete

It continued to go also again little, if much, but humans is not also pleased, faithfully the slogan, well thing needs while. Property now finally also the four corners of the MLP with the angle profiles completed and at the back the two still which are missing diagonal flat profiles attached.

winkelprofile.jpg

After the Side 3 I planned now the Side 4. First of all I again removed the 1,5x1,5 mm of tie profiles already glued together, since with exact view in some photos it had noticed to me that the tie profiles lay more deeply than the vertical profiles and therefore flatter profiles must be.

And in such a way my Side 4 looks thereby now:

side43.jpg

Now only some angle profiles 1,5x1,5 mm (smaller does not give it unfortunately) are missing to still few smaller lines, and then naturally still the LOX and LH2-Pipes with the mounting plates in each case around the access doors. And on the back (Side 3) are likewise only missing the angle profiles. Thus it pleases me slowly complete well. :rolleyes:

side42.jpg

For a change I have with the Stair housing on Blast deck made further, which was strengthened inside again with Balsa pieces,

stairhouse.jpg

and afterwards on Blast deck one glued together. The door something strengthened with cardboard.

stairhouse1.jpg

Afterwards it continued to go with the structuring of the side panels, whereby to the Side 3 now the Side 2 came to the row. In addition first the vertical reinforcement profiles had to be cut and glued together afterwards. However a small problem arose, which perplexed me.

side2pfeil.jpg

In the place marked by the red arrow is directly beside the prop (between the Bay 1 and 2), which did not stick together here yet, still another further vertical part, similarly a prop. But two props so cheek by jowl actually make no sense. Therefore I have only again my photo collection after this detail on the Side 2 rummage through, but unfortunately found nothing useful.

There good advice was expensive, why I me finally with space experts in Raumfahrer.net-forum inquired. And there see, the guys had actually a NASA photo with high resolution for me, on which I found the solution.

mpl3side21pfeil.jpg

How one can see in the picture, it gives likewise to these Bay an interruption of the gutter, which I did not know so far yet. And when exact looking the vertical part emerges directly right beside the reinforcing prop of the Bay 1 (left red arrow) as associated gutter-pipe for the left gutter part over it. And of this gutter-pipe a horizontal connection pipe (right red arrow) leads to the continuation of the gutter across the Bay 3, which is now also clarified thereby. This cross connection is missing however in the kit of D. Maier. :o

Now it can go with the remaining tie profiles and angle profiles on this side further.

Edited by spaceman

Manfred,

You are really doing a great job catching all the inaccuracies of the D. Meiar kit. I like how you are blending paper modeling with plastic modeling to make this MLP more accurate.

Keep up the great work!

Mike.

Hi Mark and Mike,

again, thanks guys for all your encouraging comments!

After the mystery was solved around the additional gutter interruption, I followed to still further questions of detail around the MLP to certain openings and equipment on side panels, whose purpose I did not know so far. Property in addition some photos, on which it is to be seen for which I was in the detail.

There first times these four black openings in the wall and the equipment in B level (room 15B), present behind it, were to be clarified.

mpl3side21pfeil.jpg

I assumed first times doors or lattice windows and therefore again advice with the space experts (Raumfahrer.net) got myself. Finally it turned out that not around doors or windows separate themselves it around the so-called Instrumentation Interface Panel acts. Those are connection panels, by which during the start preparations the current and data in-supply are made from the starting tower to the MLP and to the shuttle stack.

How I continued to experience from the German space guys, there is west the flame trench underneath the launch tower an underground two storied cement bunker. That is the Terminal Connection Room, as it were „the switching center “, in which all connections between PAD, MLP and the stack run together and with the Launch Sequencer in the Launch Control Center is connected with the VAB. I hope that is correct.

In order the panels around are to be recognized angle profiles, and up the LOX pipe runs as thick white pipe.

05pd1135-m.jpg

Then it still concerned to me the following items of equipment at the right front corner of the Side 2:

2side2s1detail.jpg

Here it is to concern two pneumatics discharge openings of A level. Four similar parts are before the right corner of the Side 4, here however in vertical arrangement, obviously ventilation discharge openings of A level.

mlp1side42detail.jpg

So, now it is to go to the extensive detail searches of the last days however once again a bit further on the MLP building site. But without searches and appropriate photos also no details show themselves let alone scratch build.

There first still the remaining tie bars and angle profiles were to be attached to the Side 2, which I had to only still procure myself. And this Side 2 should really have it in itself. :woot.gif:

Here again to the memory the inital state, only with vertical profiles just:

s2vorher.jpg

The angle profiles are in each case as verge around all access doors of the MLP sides as well as around the four instrumentation interface panel, how just was to be seen.

For the horizontal angle profiles above and underneath the doors and panels I took the smallest available plastic profiles 1,5x1,5 mm and am for the still smaller vertical angle profiles laterally the doors and panels 1x1 mm of profiles from brass, that genuinly already considerable mites. :rolleyes:

Thus I had due to the mixture technology from cardboard kit and plastic parts, selected of me for MLP and Crawler, inevitably first only again into the spray booth, since before the subsequent treatment all parts must be painted. That is a small however substantial difference to the generally usual pure plastic construction way, with which under normal conditions everything can afterwards be installed and glued together and one paints. And when the assembling of the before painted components signs of usage of tweezers and other aids often cannot be avoided despite all caution, why then afterwards again must be repaired.

And in such a way the Side 2 looks now with all along and tie bars (nearly finished):

s3s2.jpg

10010139.jpg

And here two detail opinions:

s2links.jpg

s2rechts.jpg

And on it goes to the opposite Side 4, in principle yes a similar venture, which concerns the profiles, but however with a small delicacy. :rolleyes:

In addition first times this simple rebus, as it were as a small harbinger:

details1n.jpg

First times in the foreground for feeling his way not to unfortunately nearly recognize because of the blur however and only suspect by the small bit behind it with something trouble: the 1x1 mm angle profiles (brass), behind it four small doors as well as two further downspouts for the gutters.

And thus to the actual mystery-ask:

For what around sky will is the ribbon to be good and/or which puts behind there probably? :dontknow::popcorn:

For the dissolution must you no longer for a long time wait, promised!

Nice work combinig the plastic and paper, keep the pics coming!!

Update is coming soon, but first of all you should update however your signature, since you started yes now your project 1/144th STS-134-Pad 39A, which might interest surely many. I am already curious, as it continues to go.

Harm, since obviously no desire has to go through I will dissolve the mystery just, your spoilsport. And here is the detail, which it concerns. There is this ventilation screen in the Bay 7 of Side 4:

mlp1side42detail1.jpg

And in such a way sees now in the end so out on a scale 1:160:

gittercent.jpg

But were first already a few preliminary tests for the most favorable handling necessary. In the final version I cut myself first the internal window opening of approx. 6,2x6,8 mm with a cutter from a piece of paper and glued then a somewhat larger piece of the priming ribbon over it. Afterwards I drew the outside edge (7,5x8 mm) around the lattice opening, and cut these out then carefully, from which finally a framework strength of < 1 mm results. And after the concluding brushing finish the work was then achieved and had to be glued only carefully between the 1x1 mm of bracket sections in Bay 7. :coolio:

s4gitter.jpg

It is in the long run only a small detail, could one now mean, who is hardly still noticeable in the MLP wall, but rounds it somehow off nevertheless the overall view, finds I. And in addition I wanted to try myself times at so a fine structure.

46951236.jpg

And now only the Side 1 stands so completely naked and without everything there, but that will now soon change also. There is a lot of equipment to build yes.

s1s4.jpg

Here is a picture of the original in full beauty to the warm-up. There are already alone four Access Platforms in different height with various equipment, walkways, stairs, railings and a lot of pipes.

mlp1s1gro.jpg

But first were to be attached into already well-known way the vertical reinforcement profiles, thus a comparatively rather lighter exercise.

mlps1.jpg

And thus to the longest four the Access Platforms, that is at the left side, above the MLP NR., here in the original.

mlp1side1ap1.jpg

On the papaer sheet the individual parts for it see so out (left side):

bogenl.jpg

So far with the preparation, shears and cutter are ready already.