112Filo "Seytan" F-4E/TM Lightning

A bit a latecomer, but as long as I finish in time I guess I'm good...

I have been planning to build a Turkish F-4E for quite some time now, but found this GB a good reason to start my first (a Terminator will follow eventually). Even though I still have to figure out some stuff, and got to do some research, I decided to start right away. This more because I not a really fast builder....

Here are the ingredients:

IMG_2513.jpg

I think most parts in this pic are self explaining. Decals will come from Hi-Decal Line, but have not been released yet... No problem, since it will be quite some time before I get to the point of stickering this jet!

As said, I started work on this kit. I am using Eduard PE (non colored/painted), and will be doing a bit of scratching with plastic and lead..

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

I hope you like the progress so far :D

Daniël

I have been planning to build a Turkish F-4E for quite some time now, but found this GB a good reason to start my first (a Terminator will follow eventually). Even though I still have to figure out some stuff, and got to do some research, I decided to start right away.

What do you need to figure out? Let me know if I can help with any questions you might have on TurAF Phantoms.

Hi,

For the moment I am looking for cockpit pics, to see if I can incorporate some details. Too, what I am looking for are details shots of the big blade antenna and shots of of all RWR bumps (intakes, wingtips, etc).

Any help would be much appriciated!

Daniël

Thanks!

Well, I made a bit of progress.... First what I tried was making some oxygen hoses from lead wire. The lead comes in different diameters. What you see is a 2cm lead piece with about 7cm of very thin lead glued to it. Once dry, wrappedaround and painted it looks like this (sorry, not a very sharp pic...);

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

Progress inside the cockpit too, though I am stil looking for some real inside shots, I think because of the scale the Eduard PE will pretty much do. All the grey will get a bit of weathering too, since it looks a bit to "new" to me....

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

The throtles and so were a bit of a pain... I glued them not using a magnifying glass... For now I will add just a little bit more detail to the insides of the cockpit, including the oxygenhooses. There after the whole thing can get glued together.

That's all for now... Thanks!

Daniël

Looking real good so far. I have a early release of those decals in 1/48th, and have completed a review for ARC. Should be up soon.

The decals are great, my build using them is about 90% done. I like them alot and think you will as well when they get released.

• 3 weeks later...

It's about time for an update here;

I got all parts in the pit to fit and glued it up;

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

The pannel on the right front of the pit (see also previous pics of the pit when still open) has also been closed with the original kit part. I bought this kit secondhand, and this pannel was allready cutout. Since it was all the way open, I tried to fit a PE part from the (well known?) 72nd scale Verlinden PE set. Guess what? It didn't fit. Another prove that the Verlinden PE-set needs replacement by something modern. The PE piece I tried was a leftover, for this kit I am actually using Eduard PE.

Now for the wings, they need a lot of work! This is what I started of with;

IMG_2572.jpg

And after a bit of cutting and grinding this was the result;

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

To leave me at this stage;

IMG_2582.jpg

As you can see, still a lot of filling, grinding, and sanding has to be done. I hope it will be worth the effort :rolleyes: ..

That's all for now!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks chaps!

Time for a little update here.

To make things a little worse then the pics above, seen from the underside of the kit, the gaps are even bigger;

IMG_2587.jpg

This is an ugly place to fill and sand because of the bumbs... But, eventually I guess I'll get it done...

Here once more the wing parts, now finaly glued together;

IMG_2589.jpg

This pics might look a little bit odd, but what looks like the leading edge, will not be the leading edge. Normally the slat will fall over that, making the leading edge a straigt line (do I make sense?). So, the resin parts fit 1mm deeper into the wing.

Here is a part of the wing, after filling and a lot of sanding;

IMG_2608.jpg

Still not perfect as you see, but we are getting there... I use primer every once in a while to see what it looks like, and check if the resin makes a good fit to the kit parts. Looking at the wing under various angles allways gives away the inperfection... So, more filling, more grinding, and more sanding....

And after that; rescribing every thing I've sanded away.

I also got something in mind for these little fellas;

IMG_2604.jpg

Stay tuned to see what will happen to these splitterplates :D

Till then