Ok, while I was setting around doing nothing last I had some thoughts come to mind. We need some new kits to further put my stash over the top! Most I mention are 1/48th, but there might be a couple 1/32 and 1/72 kits in the mix as well.

Here's my ten most wanted kits

1. time for Revell to step up and give us a G series JU88 in 1/72, or a JU188 of the same quality

2. an all new Hudson in 1/48th with the quality of Revell's Ventura

3. an all new tooled OV10A with parts to build an OV10D in 1/48th or 1/32

4. a 1/32 A37B!! (I'll buy two)

5. a hitec BF109K4 in 1/32 from somebody that cares about us (Tamiya?)

6. an all new tooled A26 series with parts to build a B26K in 1/48th

7. a new 1/72 C123 with a detailed interior

8. a new tooled A6B in 1/48th (I'm good for at least two)

9. retool the F100D that Monogram sold with recessed panel lines and correct whatever you can with a good interior (I'm good for three)

10. maybe it's time for a new tooled A20 series in 1/48th with lots of options (i'll buy three of these kits)

I know I said ten kits, but I also want to see a complete Robin Olds decale set for everything from the P38 to the F4C in both 1/72 and 1/48th

gary

7. a new 1/72 C123 with a detailed interior

Ramen!

I would add

11. A new 1;72 de Havilland Canada Twin Otter, Otter and Beaver

12. One or more of the mold makers to step up and create some competition for AModel in 1:72 Antonov transports.

13. A new, or even resurrected, 1:72 release of the C-46 Curtiss Commando.

14. A new 1:72 release of the classic C-121 Constellations, complete with missile range markings.

Roo

Ramen!

I would add

11. A new 1;72 de Havilland Canada Twin Otter, Otter and Beaver

12. One or more of the mold makers to step up and create some competition for AModel in 1:72 Antonov transports.

13. A new, or even resurrected, 1:72 release of the C-46 Curtiss Commando.

14. A new 1:72 release of the classic C-121 Constellations, complete with missile range markings.

Roo

funny you mentioned the C121! I met a guy at my VFW post that was the crew chief on a EC121 in RVN back in 1968 era. Then a couple nights ago while doing some research on a future build I run into an EC121 that was a complete cut away build! Looked to be in 1/72 scale. I think Williams Brother did the C46 at one time, but that's been quite awhile back. I'd love to build a C46 for an "over the hump" venue!

gary

Oh what the hell - I'll play, if only for the sake of continuing to wave the glorious Red Banner; all in 1/72:

Yakovlev Yak-9: Airfix should step up and replace their ancient attempt at the most important Russian fighter of the Great Patriotic War. The ICM/Alanger one is crude and inaccurate; the Dakoplast one is accurate but fiddly to build, although I am grateful that it exists.

Polikarpov I-153: Come on, ICM - you've been promising this for too long. Do it before someone else eats your lunch on this one. The Heller kit just doesn't cut it, modern-kit- or accuracy-wise.

Polikarpov I-16 type 5: The only one out there is by Amodel; a good one for its day, but crude and difficult to build. Life is short.

Polikarpov I-16 types 10 and 17: Could be released as one kit. No kit currently exists, certainly none of the type 10, although I think Hasegawa might have attempted the type 17 and failed.

Polikarpov I-16 type 29: ICM has the types 18, 24, and 28 covered pretty well; the type 29 is sufficiently different from all earlier variants that a major rework is needed to make a realistic type 29, so - new kit.

Lavochkin La-5 series: The KP La-5FN is another one that was good in its day, but is rough by modern standards. The AML series is not only rough but inaccurate as well. Forget the Italeri La-5FN - also old and inaccurate.

Lavochkin La-9/La-11: Apart from two or three crude limited-run kits, nothing exists.

Lavochkin/Gorbunov/Gudkov LaGG-3: Dakoplast did only the series 35 and 66; these are again older kits which were good for their time but challenging to build and hard to find. The Toko/Roden kit covered just about every series and was a really noble attempt, but talk about complicated, as well as somewhat compromised for accuracy, by the over-engineering required to try to do every version of this fighter.

Mikoyan/Gurevich MiG-3: The Hobby Boss kit is great, but it represents only the late version of the MiG-3. A new kit should reproduce the details of the early MiG-3. And please - somebody get the rib/fabric detail on the control surfaces right for once?

Spassibo!

John

RAF heavies and Japanese mediums in 1/48. Granted, the Betty and Lancaster are readily available and the better known but there were others.

Ken

6. an all new tooled A26 series with parts to build a B26K in 1/48th

I'd be with you on that one (although I'd prefer it be an A-26 or a B-26K, including the hyphen :))

9. retool the F100D that Monogram sold with recessed panel lines and correct whatever you can with a good interior (I'm good for three)

10. maybe it's time for a new tooled A20 series in 1/48th with lots of options (i'll buy three of these kits)

You can't "retool" an existing kit to give it recessed panel lines. Monogram tried it using spark erosion on their old 1/48 P-51B in the early 1990s, and it was a flop. The way you do that is to make the inside of the female mold cavity larger everywhere except the panel lines. The result of that is a bloated airplane.

Not sure the A-20 is really popular enough to warrant new molds. The AMT kit, while not perfect, is actually pretty nice.

J

Before any mfgr takes on a B-17F in any scale someone like Ken H or Don F need put them wise to the fact that only a select few groups flew the eyeball gunmount and astrodome-less nose F . The crown windows that straddled the astrodome departed soon after. The % of F series and BGs flying the early style verses a wide selection of nose art should sell the point. The triangle shaped recessed gun mount is a must!

The Vega window shift came in with some 381 and 384. BG ORIGINALS while the BO /DL angled cheeks came in with the 385 388 391 (?) BG. ...SQ G H J.

401 st brought mostly G series...the first Group to do so.

Somewhere about 306 BG phases out the early nose and maybe only the 94th in the 3rd Div (4 Bw early). Doing this by memory so some examination is in order especially at 379 n 95 BG.

Again. If one were to realize the Academey B-24H is merely a J-CO with ETO armor and convex nav window there would be a clamor for a real B-24H in both scales. The 48th comes closest to a G-5/10-NT .

If the B-25D2/G-12 and VMB 612 NIGHT PBJ-1D/ (N) were understood a kit with 5 nose variation would be the result having a waist arrangement never in kit form a side pack and tail canopy correction and a huge multi- national use. AAF USMC RAF RCAF NEI USSR (RAAF?) ETC.

The A-26 is pultry by comparison in numbers and nations.

1. 1/32 Ansaldo SVA.5
  2. 1/32 Martinsyde Elephant
  3. 1/32 Hanriot HD.1
  4. 1/32 Albatros C.III
  5. 1/32 Roland C.II
  6. 1/32 Vickers 'Gunbus'
  7. 1/32 SIA 7B
  8. 1/32 RAF BE2e
  9. 1/32 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
  10. 1/32 Sopwith Dolphin

Can you tell I'm into 1/32 WWI types?

Vince

An easier to assembly C-46 commando and while one can get there with effort, a genuine C-87 Lib Express with 3 tail cone options ; blanking or cut thru nav window and 3 styles of air speed pitots plus extra radio compass and astrodome options would represent the hazardious aluminumtrail over the Hump and the many forerunners of the flying tigers line.

Edited by Phil marchese

The F-5E and G series saw widespread use in most theaters. The F-5F less so but in some wonderful noseart. The P-38 Visual Pathfinder once appear in 32 nd scale and there was a radar patherfinder also. The F-5D was an armed and occupied nose experiment. Not sure how many were kitted besides the 4A& 5B.

Depending on which drawings one references the Twin Mustang is a controversial modeling subject. The Merlin XP thru D including the round the world B are non-existent and by the more trusted drawings the E-G all weather series are off shape drastically in plan and profile.

I'd be with you on that one (although I'd prefer it be an A-26 or a B-26K, including the hyphen :))

You can't "retool" an existing kit to give it recessed panel lines. Monogram tried it using spark erosion on their old 1/48 P-51B in the early 1990s, and it was a flop. The way you do that is to make the inside of the female mold cavity larger everywhere except the panel lines. The result of that is a bloated airplane.

Not sure the A-20 is really popular enough to warrant new molds. The AMT kit, while not perfect, is actually pretty nice.

J

There's a way to do it with platting and an acid etch that's pretty accurate, but also a closely guarded piece of technology. Probably better off with a new mold anyway. Not much wrong with the F100D that Monogram sold, but still would be nice to have recessed panels and an upto date cockpit. The A-20 series are pretty good, but the engine cowls are wrong, and like the F100 it could use a better interior. Folks has spoken out about the Invader saying that it's misshapen (I can't see it). I'd just like to see somebody come out with a new tooled kit with recessed panel lines and parts to build a regular one and a K. I honestly believe the kit would sell well.

gary

Again. If one were to realize the Academey B-24H is merely a J-CO with ETO armor and convex nav window there would be a clamor for a real B-24H in both scales. The 48th comes closest to a G-5/10-NT .

If the B-25D2/G-12 and VMB 612 NIGHT PBJ-1D/ (N) were understood a kit with 5 nose variation would be the result having a waist arrangement never in kit form a side pack and tail canopy correction and a huge multi- national use. AAF USMC RAF RCAF NEI USSR (RAAF?) ETC.

The A-26 is pultry by comparison in numbers and nations.

The A26 Invader was flying long after the B24's were recycled into beer cans! They probably are still flying as I write this. The early models flew in WWII, Korea, Indochina, Africa, and several other places. Somebody must have a love for them to last that long!

gary

C cat. I said in numbers and nation not duration. And I refered to 24 and 25s. Point is I excluded duration with full forethought. As Hap Arnold prohetically told Douglas

I want this plane for this war not the next one. It was what 3 qrt or 4th of 44 befoe it saw combat. FEAF took them only with great reluctance because the forward projections of the nacelles and single controls, like the H mitchells were not what was deemed desirable for sea search attack...the primary use in the FEAF 1944 -45. Yes The A-26 disproportional to its numbers became a counter insurgence plane by defalt just like the AC-47.

Edited by Phil marchese

Three aircraft sorely missing from my collection (all jets though):

1/48 B-45 (first US Jet Bomber)

1/48 F3D Skynight (First Jet radar kill)

1/48 A3D Skywarrior (Carrier Launched Jet Medium Bomber)

Edited by dmk0210

C cat. I said in numbers and nation not duration. And I refered to 24 and 25s. Point is I excluded duration with full forethought. As Hap Arnold prohetically told Douglas

I want this plane for this war not the next one. It was what 3 qrt or 4th of 44 befoe it saw combat. FEAF took them only with great reluctance because the forward projections of the nacelles and single controls, like the H mitchells were not what was deemed desirable for sea search attack...the primary use in the FEAF 1944 -45. Yes The A-26 disproportional to its numbers became a counter insurgence plane by defalt just like the AC-47.

I like B24's, so don't get me wrong. But I also like the A-26 series. We've got a huge lot of kits to pick from in B24's (I agree with you about the H model). With four engined stuff I kinda prefer 1/72 scale kits. The DC3 / C47 series will probably be going well 20 years from now, and may go down in history as the single most successfull airframe in history. I could well have made a twenty plane list of aircraft that either need to be kitted or retooled.

Revell and Hasegawa have shown us what they can do with a 1/72 scale JU88 (you simply cannot go wrong with either kit). Can they also do a nice B24H? You bet they can. Hasegawa has shown us what they can do with a B26 and a B25. So how about a Tigercat or the A26 series? I would love to build a MIG 15 in 1/32 scale that didn't have to have a ton of corrections, and yet be able to buy it without a second mortgage. I think Tamiya is missing the beat by not doing a Korean War F86 in their hitec 1/32 series. I'd have to buy two of them!! Regarding British bombers; I could name three or four needed ones. A large scale Anson, and an Avro Lincoln in 1/72 scale would make me smile (not a conversion or a complete rebuild). Revell and Hasegawa both sell pretty decient Lancasters in 1/72 (have kits from both). Can Revell do a Lincoln of the same quality they did with their wonderfull JU88? Bet they can! Right now I'm sorta hopeing the revise their Halifax, and do a Hudson.

On the otherhand we have a 1/35th scale everything but the lowely M37 truck! You can't say you cannot find one to measure as they are everywhere! One company has given us PT boats and S100's in that scale (plus a couple others). How hard would it be to do a Nasty Boat? A 1/35th scale O-1 or even an O-2 for a crossover diorama would be nice.

guess this could go one forever and a day!

gary

Three aircraft sorely missing from my collection (all jets though):

1/48 B-45 (first US Jet Bomber)

1/48 F3D Skynight (First Jet radar kill)

1/48 A3D Skywarrior (Carrier Launched Jet Medium Bomber)

I agree 100%. A good 1/48th scale EB10 added to your three kits

gary

In 1/144 scale:

New 21st century tooling Lockeed C-130 Hercules variants, sub-variants. I would buy a new vitrin for them.

New 21st century tooling Douglas C-47 Dakota/Skytrain and C-54/DC-4

Fairchild C-119 Flying Box

New tooling Lockheed P-3C Orion

In 1/32 scale:

O-1 Bird Dog

I might add an ACCURATE Harvard in either 1/48, 1/72 or 1/32. No one's been able to do it yet (although Occidental came close)

The Monogram AT-6/SNJ is fairly accurate for a Texan, but it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

For the number of nations that used the Harvard/Texan, it's a shame there isn't a better kit out there.

(and if any manufacturers are reading this... I can provide FREE assistance with research/reference)

:cheers: