It would be very interesting to understand how sales projections are made in the industry. What has also been counterintuitive is the Camaro - Mustang type competition in the industry when no one dared do say the A-36 then four arriive near simultaniously.

Given the limitations imposed by cost and target market I think Mathbox did kit and vaiant selection wisely. Where it did popular subjects there was nearly alway a differentiating part or two in the box or sub variant select. Their kits reflected a certain background knowledge of the subject and the marketplace time and again.

Product selection still remains a mystery to me after 50 years . Gary I m with all the way. Believe me. Certain eras are under-represent althought the designs or advancement are unique to the era. And then there are thoses items with huge numbers that took decades to reach us...Dodge Ambulance for one.

All a mystery to me on sales projection and break even. Lastly an AMC pacer or Gremlin in the right box art sells too!

What about a 1/72 Texan II trainer. One of the most used in the world, however there has only bee a 1/48 scale released recently with no sight of a 1/72

YES! I'm amazed there isn't one available.

YES! I'm amazed there isn't one available.

I went on a crusade e-mailing all the major manufacturers. Not one responded. I don't understand that an A/C that used from every one from the USAF to NATO training in Canada to Israel etal, that they do no not think there is a market.

a couple years back a person made a post on one of the other modeling sites asking the masses what they felt Revell should build. I posted the Hudson and Ventura, and this got a response from a lot of people. Of course the originator of the thread was also the daughter of a very well placed person in that company.

gary

funny you mentioned the C121! I met a guy at my VFW post that was the crew chief on a EC121 in RVN back in 1968 era. Then a couple nights ago while doing some research on a future build I run into an EC121 that was a complete cut away build! Looked to be in 1/72 scale. I think Williams Brother did the C46 at one time, but that's been quite awhile back. I'd love to build a C46 for an "over the hump" venue!

gary

Well...I found the C-121 as a Heller C-121A Constellation 'Berlin' kit. It comes with MATS decals, but I think I'm more interested in converting the kit to this livery:

3_18.jpg

But, it's not going to come with the radome, nor with the appropriate missile range markings, so I'll have to either look for Warning Star decals and post-market lumps and bumps, or back off to the provided MATS finish.

At the same time, I ordered a Williams Brothers C-46 Curtiss Commando. Since I have the Dakota, I had to have the Commando. I didn't know it, but the Constellation was part of the Berlin Airlift team. But then, so was the Douglas C-54, which is now running at a cool $123 price. *sigh*

Edited by Dakota Roo

Well for my prop wants,

1. Hawker Tempest, 1/48th

2. Hawker Sea Fury, 1/48th

3. Yak-9, 1/48th

4. C-46 1/72nd

5. Tamiya P-47N, 1/48th

6. Tamiya P-47D late, 1/72nd

7. Tamiya Spitfire scaled down to 1/48th

8. P-40F and L, 1/48th.

All kits I think would sell very well.

Edited by Tbolt

What would probably be a huge boost to seeing a lot of these kits come about is if someone were to write a true well researched history of antisubmarine airwarfare from 1940 to 1980.

Ferret raven wease awacs jammers and weather reccon 1942 1973 would also do the same.

What would probably be a huge boost to seeing a lot of these kits come about is if someone were to write a true well researched history of antisubmarine airwarfare from 1940 to 1980.

Ferret raven wease awacs jammers and weather reccon 1942 1973 would also do the same.

There's a fair bit of overlap there, no?

I quite agree with the need for an accurate history of airborne antisubmarine warfare. I haven't looked, so I don't know if there are any. I suspect there are, but I also suspect they may well not be found on the 'bestseller rack'. I'll look around.

Roo

We need an M1A1 90mm AA gun in 48th!

:D Ok, the new job's getting to me a bit, but in a good way.

In 48th aircraft, I'd agree with Jennings on the A-26 family (although with some tweaks, the current kits can be made presentable), would also like to see a new tool B-25J. Not that the Monogram kit is bad, but it is a bit long in the tooth. A new tool B-26 would be cool too, now that I think of it...

So, 48th scale Medium Bombers (geez, and I thought I was a fighter bomber guy....)

WWII fighters, at least on the US side have all been pretty well represented over the years. Wouldn't mind seeing a Tamiya Mossie with two-stage engines though, both an NF and a PR (US markings, I know, I'm a ugly 'merican).

Jon

Depending on which drawings one references the Twin Mustang is a controversial modeling subject. The Merlin XP thru D including the round the world B are non-existent and by the more trusted drawings the E-G all weather series are off shape drastically in plan and profile.

Phil, there is nothing controversial about the Twin Mustang as a modeling subject.

The only thing missing is a willing manufacturer who is able to do the tedious research.

We have factory drawings, technical orders, manuals and of course a few surviving airframes.

The survivors include one Merlin XP-82 (44-83887 being currently restored) and two P-82B's, one of which is "Betty Joe" who flew from Hawaii to NY non stop in 1947.

I don't understand why you claim these planes are non-existent. :blink:

I wonder what F-82 drawings you consider trustworthy, I pride myself on having a fairly extensive collection of Mustang drawings and never saw one for the Twin Mustang that looked remotely accurate.

AmTech made a very nice P-40F didn't they? I'd rather see something not done before. Personally I want a 1/48 or 1/72 B-18 and B-23. As well as a 1/48 Nell

First of all I wouldn't call it very nice, though it was OK from what I've seen. Plus they are not easy to get hold of. The ones I've found on Ebay do not included the resin nose so they are not F/L kits! But I believe they only did the long tailed F anyway.

It's just annoying that Hasegawa did the P-40E and K and ignored the Merlin engined versions. I wouldn't mind if someone came out with a resin nose for the Hasegawa kit (like the AmTech nose) then we could make what we like with the Hasegawa kit.

Tourist ...we are saying the same thing. The Twin Mustang as a model subject is controversial because the published drawings are not good ergo neither are the kits yet the mfgrs consider it done. The merlins do not exist in model form at all. You read my states about models and translated into something else.

We need an M1A1 90mm AA gun in 48th!

:D Ok, the new job's getting to me a bit, but in a good way.

In 48th aircraft, I'd agree with Jennings on the A-26 family (although with some tweaks, the current kits can be made presentable), would also like to see a new tool B-25J. Not that the Monogram kit is bad, but it is a bit long in the tooth. A new tool B-26 would be cool too, now that I think of it...

So, 48th scale Medium Bombers (geez, and I thought I was a fighter bomber guy....)

WWII fighters, at least on the US side have all been pretty well represented over the years. Wouldn't mind seeing a Tamiya Mossie with two-stage engines though, both an NF and a PR (US markings, I know, I'm a ugly 'merican).

Jon

speaking of B25's in general, I'd like to see the Accurate Minitures B25G brought back out again. And maybe somebody ought to tale a serious look at a 1/72 scale B32

gary

Quick note on the B-25G . There were 463 produced, all but a handful from the NA 96 airframe starting at the C-20. The V BC.was promised Group equvalent of 63 which it received earlier on. The XII FC got an early squadron of what at the time were called fighter-bombers for sea search work. The AAFAC equiped several East, West and Gulf coast Squadrons for antisubmarine work and the 25BG(M) in the. Caribbean also got the radar antisub version. The RAF USN & USSR collectively got about six (8)*.

The balance including an ex- C-25 in the CBI were mostly in the G-12 configuration which emulated the interm D2 aft the cannon. The 41 & 42 bomb group shared about half that balance(~100) and the 310 a substantial amount directly or via 321 bg. The 310 loaned 379 bs to NACostalAF. The 341 Bg did the Burma bridge busting with the G.

Bottom line the kit would wisely be 2x as useful if fully equipped for the interim versions like Little Joe. Luscious Lucy. Dark Eyes Shady Landy Blondie,s Vengence a slew of Paper Dolls and many more. And a few noses & weapons gets the D2.

Edited by Phil marchese

Speaking of B-25s, I'd like to see someone do a new-tool C/D in 1/72. A very widely used aircraft with tons of interesting paint schemes and markings. Right now probably the best straight-from-the-box option is the 1970s-vintage Italeri kit, but its proportions have always looked a bit "off" to me, and it's rather lacking in detail. I'm not one for measuring kits, but to me the old Monogram Snap-Tite B-25B seems to have nailed the shapes perfectly..but it requires a fair bit of effort to turn into a "serious" model. Until the recent Hasegawa kit came along, I thought the Snap-Tite was the best looking B-25 in 1/72 (of course the Hasegawa kit isn't without issues..most notably they completely botched the nose glass, which it almost impossible to fix.) I would love to see either Hasegawa do a C/D, or possibly Revell AG (although only if it was on the same level as their magnificent new 1/72 Ju-88. Given the recent Halifax debacle and their rather lackluster B-17 I'm a bit cautious when it comes to Revell.)

Not to drag this too far off-topic, but does anyone know if the Falcon vacuform canopy set for the Hasegawa B-25J corrects the issues with the nose glass?

SN

The italian kit is too shallow at the nose by a noticable amount which probably carries thru to the bombbay. Fus. tapers too much. Cross sections due to short depth take on odd proportions. All windows large and misproportioned in orientation. Snap tite is closer and nicer. Actually the Frog fus. Is properly the best but it would take effort to get the snap tite to merge.

Speaking of B-25s, I'd like to see someone do a new-tool C/D in 1/72. A very widely used aircraft with tons of interesting paint schemes and markings. Right now probably the best straight-from-the-box option is the 1970s-vintage Italeri kit, but its proportions have always looked a bit "off" to me, and it's rather lacking in detail. I'm not one for measuring kits, but to me the old Monogram Snap-Tite B-25B seems to have nailed the shapes perfectly..but it requires a fair bit of effort to turn into a "serious" model. Until the recent Hasegawa kit came along, I thought the Snap-Tite was the best looking B-25 in 1/72 (of course the Hasegawa kit isn't without issues..most notably they completely botched the nose glass, which it almost impossible to fix.) I would love to see either Hasegawa do a C/D, or possibly Revell AG (although only if it was on the same level as their magnificent new 1/72 Ju-88. Given the recent Halifax debacle and their rather lackluster B-17 I'm a bit cautious when it comes to Revell.)

Not to drag this too far off-topic, but does anyone know if the Falcon vacuform canopy set for the Hasegawa B-25J corrects the issues with the nose glass?

SN

I see little wrong with the Revell B17G that would not be all that bad to take care of. Compair that kit to the Hasegawa or even the Academy-Minicraft B17's. Even a complete rescribe isn't horrible.

The Halifax will eventually be fixed via the aftermarket, and most folks are making a mountain out of it. Yet 90% of the guys that buy it will simply build it and be happy with it.

gary

I see little wrong with the Revell B17G that would not be all that bad to take care of. Compair that kit to the Hasegawa or even the Academy-Minicraft B17's. Even a complete rescribe isn't horrible.

The Halifax will eventually be fixed via the aftermarket, and most folks are making a mountain out of it. Yet 90% of the guys that buy it will simply build it and be happy with it.

gary

I would love a way to fix the Halifax soon, I love british Heavies, but I would really love 1/72 B-25B. C, and D versions soon! as well as some more newly tooled C-130 variants in 1/72 with recessed panel lines! ie C-130A, AC-130A, DC-130, AC-130U, C-130E/H and C-130J.

Also a 1/72 C-2 Greyhound and C-1 Trader.

Also more Korean War Aircraft in 1/72, and more Transports.

Tourist ...we are saying the same thing. The Twin Mustang as a model subject is controversial because the published drawings are not good ergo neither are the kits yet the mfgrs consider it done. The merlins do not exist in model form at all. You read my states about models and translated into something else.

Phil, glad to see we're on the same page, you didn't make it clear you were talking about kits.

Still, I would hope a manufacturer wouldn't use scale drawings as a basis for a kit but would go straight to the source material, including existing aircraft.

I know it will never happen but I'd love to see a 1/48th Convair CV-240. Plenty of airlines flew this plane, as well as the USAF. Always liked the way it looked and if it sold, they could then release it's big brother on steroids, the CV-580 with those monster turbo props!

I would love a way to fix the Halifax soon, I love british Heavies, but I would really love 1/72 B-25B. C, and D versions soon! as well as some more newly tooled C-130 variants in 1/72 with recessed panel lines! ie C-130A, AC-130A, DC-130, AC-130U, C-130E/H and C-130J.

Also a 1/72 C-2 Greyhound and C-1 Trader.

Also more Korean War Aircraft in 1/72, and more Transports.

looks to me like the best way to fix the engine cowls would be with a plug to replace each one deep into the wing itself. I keep praying that Vector is working on this issue right now. I agree with you about the C130's, and really can say the samething about the C123's (specially the special ops stuff). How about a 1/32 Banshee or a Tigercat?

gary