1/48 Skyraiders Which?

You guys can help by bugging the #e!! out of him and get anyone you know that will do it also to do it. If he smells money he might get off his @$$.

The "him" you speak of is Chris Bucholtz, who among other things is the managing editor of the IPMS Journal. He always seems to be very busy, and I imagine he's been especially so with the IPMS/USA Nationals this past weekend. Obscureco is definitely a one-man operation, and I get the impression that Chris operates it as a sideline, so he gets to things in between the other items on his work schedule. I ordered a Bearcat cowling from him at the end of last year, and it took several months and a fair number of reminder emails to obtain the item. He did ultimately get back to me with a couple of gracious emails, mentioning continuing family matters and (I think) a move as having taken up a lot of his time. I'd suggest you continue to send him (polite) email reminders. I'd also respectfully suggest you might edit out that last sentence in the post to which I replied. IMHO it's borderline offensive and certainly not an accurate implied description of Chris's character.

Done; This has been going on since May of 2012. That is 4+ YEARS. not months. He did do my PV-1 cowlings and that took him about a year. That I can understand. I communicate with him about every six months. The guy that makes the stuff for him has been sitting on the stuff. If the masters have been lost I can supply one more to him but they take a while to make.

I understand and sympathize with your frustration. I just read at HyperScale that Chris wasn't at the US Nationals (or at least Obscureco was absent from the vendors area), so it's anyone's guess what's going on presently. Perhaps there's another possible source for the castings?

The last time we emailed was about a month ago and he said he is leaning on his source that actually produces his stuff. I made four total cowlings for myself, sending him one of them. He is a very nice guy but just a bit busy, that's all.

Edited by Otto
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I hope you pull through this time. I definitely could use the Monogram cowl replacement. Another issue with the Monogram kit is the rear wheel. It's pretty much limited to the carrier base option wheel, as the land based USAF A-1 used the inflated tires. There is no aftermarket replacements for this. Also the same thing with the 1/72 Hasegawa kit.

On 3/19/2012 at 0:01 PM, ChesshireCat said:

I have that kit and the Tamiya. There are things about each kit that I like better than the other one. Surprised that somebody like Obscuro or Vector has not came out with a new cowl and a better engine. The props are an mistory to me, and cannot find my books to make the decision on which is right or are both wrong.

gary

I did a comparison of the Monogram vs. Tamiya prop. The biggest difference I could see is the Tamiya prop has a longer neck at the end, near the hub. That gives it a thinner paddle appearance than the Monogram prop. Otherwise, both have the same diameter, and blade width cross section. 

IMG_2409_zpscba15454.jpgIMG_2410_zps9cef66f2.jpg

Here's the real deal;

a1h_514_21_zpse8a32c66.jpg

Overall, it's not that big of a deal for me. But if I had to pick one, it'll be the Monogram prop. Excellent thread discussions on this subject!

Regards

Triet 

I don't know, to me the prop on that A-1 looks more like the Tamiya prop that you show. What am I missing?

These are pics I shot a couple of years ago at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation:

A-14s_zps25c5ebfd.jpg

A-11s_zpsa99e6822.jpg

A-15s_zps67b9e9ce.jpg

I'm not trying to be critical, I just sometimes don't see the details that others do.

I'm with you, Don, assuming the Tamiya prop is the gray one. The Monogram hub boss is larger diameter and a bit more deeply detailed, which may be a plus, but I think Tamiya got the shape of the blade better near the base.

3 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

I don't know, to me the prop on that A-1 looks more like the Tamiya prop that you show. What am I missing?

These are pics I shot a couple of years ago at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation:

A-14s_zps25c5ebfd.jpg

A-11s_zpsa99e6822.jpg

A-15s_zps67b9e9ce.jpg

I'm not trying to be critical, I just sometimes don't see the details that others do.

3 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

Great pics. After looking at the closeups, to my eyes, it looked like both kits prop neck length are wrong. Seems like it should be somewhere in between.

Like I said, either one is still good. I built both, and if nobody mentioned, I would've never even notice.

BTW, is this the SN 39665 Lieutenant America? A friend of my father flew this out of Saigon on Ap/29/75. 

AD-5_JXN2007KR_03.jpgNeither the Tamiya or the Monogram prop is right. The Raider actually used two distinctly different prop blades that I have seen The Tamiya is a little closer to the  later prop art the hub but the prop blade is completely wrong because it should have a small lip at the trailing edge of the blade. The Tamiya completely lacks this feature which should be truly evident . The Monogram is much closer to the earlier blade because it did not have that lip at the trailing edge plus it had a much shorter neck at the hub. The Tamiya prop also coms much more to a narrower blade tip than the Monogram. The prop tip should be much wider. Both kit props have this problem but the Tamiya is much more severe. Even though the lead-in at the leading edge from the neck to the hub shape is a bit off but quite easily fixable if desired. In general, the Monogram prop is quite a bit closer to the real prop. The Monogram Raider is also quite a bit easier to convert to the early versions than the Tamiya is. The idea is to remove the fuselage side armor plating. This is virtually impossible on the Tamiya but not that hard on the Monogram.

Edited by Otto
21 hours ago, trietmcam said:

Great pics. After looking at the closeups, to my eyes, it looked like both kits prop neck length are wrong. Seems like it should be somewhere in between.

Like I said, either one is still good. I built both, and if nobody mentioned, I would've never even notice.

BTW, is this the SN 39665 Lieutenant America? A friend of my father flew this out of Saigon on Ap/29/75. 

Yes, it is:

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/DDonSS3/library/Tennessee Museum of Aviation/A-1H Skyraider

A-16s_zpsac23ada8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hay guys, I have news. The cowling test shots are ready and will be ready to ship soon. The few test shots have been made and the packaging will be ready in the next week or so. This is good news indeed. I will have to put together a pictorial setup for those who will need it for the prep work to use it. I have five kits total to build. I will now continue with the build on this thread. So I do not waste time, I will use one of my masters and one with that.

Please contact Obscureco.com for the cowlings. http://www.obscureco.com/products.html

Edited by Otto

I only do these corrections as I build a model and find a major mistake. Since the Banshee is not one of my fields of interest I will not pursue it. I make $0.00 on these projects so time is only spent on kits I am interested in. Cowlings which I have corrected are as follows. AD Skyraider (Monogram), A-20A/B (AMT/Italeri), B-25 (Accurate Miniatures), F8F-2 (Hobbycraft) (the one Obscureco has at this time is not mine and is also incorrect. I am looking for them to replace theirs with my master.), PV-1 Ventura (Revell) (Available now from Obscureco). As seen on the right in this picture next to the kit cowling which is on the left. The thing I like about Obscureco is that their parts are very affordable. The set is $12, unlike from others plus the foreign postage you would have to pay from the other aftermarket supplier. The propellers can also be purchased from Obscureco for the F6/7F and than the bladed just simply shortened at the tip, for $6 a set. The PV-1 cowling was my first master with them now the Skyraider is my second. Just remember to save the cowl-flaps from the kit part or just simply make new ones from styrene sheet.

DSC02856.jpg

Edited by Otto

Here is the Skyraideer cowling. The original back cowl flaps will have to be reused or easily made from strip stock. Also the front cowl flaps. The nose will have to be modified a little as shown in previous posts to accommodate the larger diameter cowling.

DSC02975.jpg

Edited by Otto
  • 4 months later...

I have not communicated with them for a while and completely forgot about it. Send them an email or call. I will do likewise. Last info I had was that they ran some off.

I just sent him another email. We will see what response I get. Another email from a third interested party would not hurt.

• 2 months later...

I just got an email from Chris at Obscureco. I was informed thatI just got an email from Chris at Obscureco. I was informed that the cowlings, artwork and packaging is ready and that he is now getting the production lot of cowlings. If you guys want them just email him or call him. I am waiting for my now any day.

Because of the new policy on Photobucket, I will slowly have to replace the pictures I posted here. I already did it on a couple of posts and will continue as time allows. Since I have no way of remembering the pictures I had in the post. But, I do have all of them so I will continue as I can best guess.

Edited by Otto
  • 2 years later...