1/48 Skyraiders Which?

Thanks Otto, I have one more Skyraider which I think I will fold the wings. As well as a Tamiya USN and USAF Skyraider. It is a good kit to build. I am an old Monogram/Revell fan for since well when I was a kid. But this thread is the first I read about the cowl being off. I just don't have the eye for seeing such details so it may not be that obvious. And quite frankly don't really care. Amazing how some have an eye for that which may be a blessing or a curse.

Regardless I enjoy building and in knowing that they will be some discrepancy somewhere no matter if it's a Hasegawa, Tamiya or Monogram. Just enjoy the hobby.

Chuck

Fly Navy

If/since you have the Tamiya kit, just put the two cowlings next to each other and you will see. The tamiya cowl is actually still a tiny undersized also, but neglegably. It is not so prominent from the profile view on the aircraft but it is from the top view. The cowling should be almost as wide as the fuse itselg. This was a very large engine in these birds.

Here is a nice page you might like.

http://www.history.navy.mil/download/app1-1.pdf

Edited by Otto

If/since you have the Tamiya kit, just put the two cowlings next to each other and you will see. The tamiya cowl is actually still a tiny undersized also, but neglegably. It is not so prominent from the profile view on the aircraft but it is from the top view. The cowling should be almost as wide as the fuse itselg. This was a very large engine in these birds.

Here is a nice page you might like.

http://www.history.navy.mil/download/app1-1.pdf

I can see it now, hmmm I have the 72nd scale Hasegawa kits also. I will check them also just for the heck of it.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Ooh ooh! I did a Spad very much like that around '73 or so. I was really proud of that effort. I'd love to do that again, but this time in 48th. Is there a kit or aftermarket decals available with that scheme?

I just started to build a 1/12 AD 50" span. I am going to do this scheme for both my 1/12 and my first 1/48.

3_180.jpg

I've been wanting to do that scheme since I built my first Fujimi A-1 back in the 70s. Now, I want to do it in 1/48th, scale of course…

Not quite willing to pay the almost $24.00 Klaus wants for his decals…

Edited by DonSS3

I've been wanting to do that scheme since I built my first Fujimi A-1 back in the 70s. Now, I want to do it in 1/48th, scale of course…

Not quite willing to pay the almost $24.00 Klaus wants for his decals…

I know it is quite steap for the price but I bought a set from cutting edge when they were available and bought another set from this guy just to make sure that I have a spair.

I was just on eBay and am amazed, at the prices people are willing to pay for things available on the existing market for a lot less. Monogram Raiders for $40+ that can be bought for $15 or so, Decals for these kits for twice the existing market price. Esci raiders for over $50, Tamiya kits for $55 and so on. What the heck, Tower Hobbies has the Tamiya kit for sale at $29. The lousy Esci kit is sold there for $36. Not to mention $8-$12 for shipping on the eBay auctions. Can anyone explain this to me with a bit of logic? I can understand buying something that you cant find anywhere else and you just have to have, but some of this is just beyond my comprehension. I just saw the set of cutting edge decals which are available for $24, go for $37 and another set which is at this moment up to $26. If people have the time to search eBay, don't they have the time to research the products on the WWW? :bandhead2:

I just found one of these in my stash. I wonder what kind of a beast this thing really was. My kit is a 1/48 Dynavector vac kit with a heck of a lot of white metal detail parts. It is up for sale if anyone wants it. You can PM me.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/a2dpreview.htm

3173.jpg

Edited by Otto

I just found one of these in my stash. I wonder what kind of a beast this thing really was. My kit is a 1/48 Dynavector vac kit with a heck of a lot of white metal detail parts. It is up for sale if anyone wants it. You can PM me.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/a2dpreview.htm

3173.jpg

I've seen the engine and transmission out of it and the "Pogo" several times. It was the basic forerunner of the modern T56, but without the counter rotating props. At the time it was designed there was a spec for engine weight and transmission weight, plus gear down with that kinda horsepower was a new idea. The engine was OK, but there was a lot of problems in the gearbox. I heard once that part of it was harmonic and part of it was due to the weight cutting isses & over length. One major issue the lacked of technology at the time was in the gear profiles and power handeling of them. We could grind them all that well, and knew nothing about the design aspects of non standard gear involutes. Three years later we were ready, and ten years later we were at the top of the game. It was said that had they gone with a five blade standard prop and upped the power a bit they would have had a better combo. I don't know for sure. I did have many dealings with the engineers that designed the gear box, and one of them was well known as the best in the world at gear design. The same bunch later did the T56 series, and several commercial turbo props. But never a counter rotating prop setup again. Ever see a picture of a B47D?

gary

I think that the concept was phenomenal. I think that even today it would be a useful concept. The last one attempted that I am aware of was the Cavalier Mustang which than was one-upped by the A-10. There is still a few of those around.

OK I decided to get serious about building a Monogram Raider. Now the first hurdle Is the cowling. This is also the major hurdle. This is how I decided to go about it. I had an old Otaki F4U-1 that I had no use for so I decided to glue the two halves together and cut off the cowling section. I than proceed from there. The Otaki cowling was only slightly undersized and obviously much too short. Here is the pictorial process. This set of pictures is the basic Otaki Corsair cowl modification and prep. I am using the Tamiya cowling as a reference template.

DSC02893.jpg

Edited by Otto

Just for reference here are the related cowlings from left to right.

Tamiya Raider, Otaki Corsair with enlarged opening, Esci/Italeri Raider, Monogram Raider.

DSC02880.jpg

Edited by Otto

Here is the buildup process on the Otaki corsair cowling with Evergreen strip Styrene, liquid putty and filler putty.

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02920.jpg

Tamiya cowling, My cowling made from Otaki corsair cowling and at right original Monogram cowling. Cowl flaps were cut off from Monogram and will be reused on new cowling. 

DSC02931.jpg

Edited by Otto

I was just on eBay and am amazed, at the prices people are willing to pay for things available on the existing market for a lot less. Monogram Raiders for $40+ that can be bought for $15 or so, Decals for these kits for twice the existing market price. Esci raiders for over $50, Tamiya kits for $55 and so on. What the heck, Tower Hobbies has the Tamiya kit for sale at $29. The lousy Esci kit is sold there for $36. Not to mention $8-$12 for shipping on the eBay auctions. Can anyone explain this to me with a bit of logic? I can understand buying something that you cant find anywhere else and you just have to have, but some of this is just beyond my comprehension. I just saw the set of cutting edge decals which are available for $24, go for $37 and another set which is at this moment up to $26. If people have the time to search eBay, don't they have the time to research the products on the WWW? :bandhead2:

I completely agree with you there Otto. I tried to pick one up on ebay a few days back and they were going for more then a brand new sealed one. Oh well I think some people just get drawn into ebay and start getting emotionally attached to their bidding. Me if I want something I will just wait until the last few minutes and bid once and only once.

I completely agree with you there Otto. I tried to pick one up on ebay a few days back and they were going for more then a brand new sealed one. Oh well I think some people just get drawn into ebay and start getting emotionally attached to their bidding. Me if I want something I will just wait until the last few minutes and bid once and only once.

If you are not in a hurry and bide your time you can get kits for a good price. I just bought four AMT F7Fs as a package deal for $27 one Monogram Raider for $3.95 (or was it $4.95 I forget, it was mentioned in a previous post), An AMT A-20 for $9.00 and a Hasegawa F4U-4 for $11. You just have to shop smart on eBay.

If you are not in a hurry and bide your time you can get kits for a good price. I just bought four AMT F7Fs as a package deal for $27 one Monogram Raider for $3.95 (or was it $4.95 I forget, it was mentioned in a previous post), An AMT A-20 for $9.00 and a Hasegawa F4U-4 for $11. You just have to shop smart on eBay.

You are exactly right. My favorite buy was a lot of 40 model kits that I picked up from ebay for 15 dollars. The shipping was 30 bucks but hey you gotta figure that is just over a dollar a kit. The guy only had one picture of the lot and didn't really describe what was in it. Those are the auctions I look out for.

I have a pair of Hobby Craft F4U-1s that also have the oversize cowlings that I can use for this same purpose. I plan on kitbashing a Monogram and Esci radar Raider to build a proper AD-4W. The sad part about this build is that only the radar and canopy from the Esci kit are usable. As stated before, the complete wing and fuselage are bogus on the Esci kit. I will have to graft he side door onto the monogram fuse. I am not sure at this point if the horizontal stabs are the same size on that bird or larger. For some reason the Esci kit has that stab about 20% larger than Monogram and Tamiya. If that is the case than I at least have more parts I can use from that kit.

Edited by Otto