1/48 Skyraiders Which?

My finished cowling for the Monogram kit. I am quite satisfied with it It is almost a carbon copy of the Tamiya one.

DSC02935.jpg

Edited by Otto

OK since I have gone this far, I think that I will build a AD-2 or -3 or a -2Q Just have to figure out how to remove the armor from the sides of the fuse in a clean way.

Since I have never re-scribed an entire kit, I decided to practice on a Esci one that I was going to throw away anyway. I am not sure if I will do that to the Monogram kit or not yet but I thought I would try y hand at it. I have owned a Bare-mettal scibing tool for decades but have never used it for anything more than fixing sections that I have sanded away. It took me about 15 minutes but it started going very easy after a while. I just used the old raised panel lines as guides and went at it. It wound up taking me about 40 minutes to do a complete fuselage side.

That cowl looks pretty good Otto. Now make a mold from it and sell some copies and I think you've got something lol. I'd buy one for sure.

I am attempting to have Obscureco to do that. Drop them an email and ask them to produce it. I just don't have the time to get back into that.

Here is my attempt on the Esci fuse to remove the side armor and scribe the fuse. The top is my attempt in comparison to the lower half.

DSC02939.jpg

The more people that contact Obscureco about producing my cowling the better. I have made a few prototypes for them already. I am also trying to convince them to do a prop for the Raider. At this time I am doing a F4U-4 cowling master for them. Fore some reason he has cold feet about the Raider cowl.

I am attempting to have Obscureco to do that. Drop them an email and ask them to produce it. I just don't have the time to get back into that.

OK thanks Otto. I sent them an email asking them to make one.

Just got my "Modelers' guide to the Skyraider" and it is absolutely great. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to build a particular variant and wants to know the differences.

Edited by Otto

Hi Otto,

How is coverage of the -3Q and -4N versions in the Modelers Guide? I'm considering doing one of those versions and wondering how helpful the guide really is.

Also, how is your work going on that ESCI fuselage removing the armor, etc ... I'm going to take a run at that task with a Tam kit this weekend.

Thanks

Hey Otto,

I have one of those goofy ESCI kits myself, and I had a bit of a crazy idea: what if I were to use it to make a A2D?

The thought occured to me the other day, while looking at some Skyshark stuff, that I'm not using the ESCI kit for anything (I'm just pillaging it for stuff - like the guppy radome for instance; it's going to my AD-5W project) - so why not do some cosmetic experimentation?

I figured it's nothing a little miliput can't fix. Since you have the ESCI too, what are your thoughts?

The Esci kit has four major problems. 1) wing sweep is wrong, 2) horizontal tail planes are about 20% too large, 3) vertical tail is placed streight on the fuselage center-line and not off set as it should be, 4) gear legs are about 20% larger than scale in every dimension. If you can fix these problems than anything can be done. The wing sweep is the most difficult to fix. Even if you could change the geometry of the two wings, than you have to deal with the geometry with all the detail ON the wings. Basiclly the wing is un-ussable.

Any thoughts or input on the 1998 release of the Tamiya 1/48th A-1H. This is the first one that I have ever had the opportunity to build. I am actually looking for info on the squadron # and also the Camo pattern of the aircraft from Flight of the Intruder. I am in the process of building a Dio for my father and want as much info about this one aircraft that I can get. I have searched all over the Net and have found very little on the subject. Otto you seem to be the man to go to so if you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JOSH

p.s. Your build looks astounding.

Hi Otto,

How is coverage of the -3Q and -4N versions in the Modelers Guide? I'm considering doing one of those versions and wondering how helpful the guide really is.

Also, how is your work going on that ESCI fuselage removing the armor, etc ... I'm going to take a run at that task with a Tam kit this weekend.

Thanks

They are both covered with full detail. This is one of the best modelers books I have seen telling you exactly what the differences are from bird to bird. There are 35 variants covered. The book itself is nothing impressive but the information is fantastic. You cant really call it a book it is a spiral bound stack of heavy printer paper. I think it is a good value for anyone that requires this stile of information.

Any thoughts or input on the 1998 release of the Tamiya 1/48th A-1H. This is the first one that I have ever had the opportunity to build. I am actually looking for info on the squadron # and also the Camo pattern of the aircraft from Flight of the Intruder. I am in the process of building a Dio for my father and want as much info about this one aircraft that I can get. I have searched all over the Net and have found very little on the subject. Otto you seem to be the man to go to so if you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JOSH

p.s. Your build looks astounding.

The Tamiya kit is the best there is. Is it perfect? No, but it is close to it. I have a few of those in my stash. The markings in the "flight of the intruder" are most likely fictitious. You may never find any info on those two birds. The rescue scenario would also be a bit off, there would be a lot of "artistic license" in the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P6TBPQ2s9k

Edited by Otto

The Tamiya kit is the best there is. Is it perfect? No, but it is close to it. I have a few of those in my stash. The markings in the "flight of the intruder" are most likely fictitious. You may never find any info on those two birds. The rescue scenario would also be a bit off, there would be a lot of "artistic license" in the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P6TBPQ2s9k

you might if it was off a CAG, but the Britelight stuff will be hard to come by. Myself, I would be far more interested in a series of Britelight birds (including the C123 and choppers) as this was almost a daily event.

gary

Otto,

Thanks for the reply re the Modeler's Guide. Looks like I'll have to order it.

Thanks

When you first open up your package you will most likely be disappointed, but when you open it up and go threw the pages your spirits will start to raise again.

you might if it was off a CAG, but the Britelight stuff will be hard to come by. Myself, I would be far more interested in a series of Britelight birds (including the C123 and choppers) as this was almost a daily event.

gary

This would be the best place to look

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/a/593/3

Just got my "Modelers' guide to the Skyraider" and it is absolutely great. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to build a particular variant and wants to know the differences.

would it happen to have any VNAF 83rd Sog raiders? im been looking for info on a brown and green camo A-1H with than phong insignia.

thanks!

This would be the best place to look

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/a/593/3

looked at the special ops bird they had listed. Still kinda stuns me that a guy could land a Skyraider somewhere in the Ashau Valley! That camp was the first A102 and was built on a mountain side. Was over run soon after becoming operational (an undefensable position). I know guys that were there, and next time I'll ask them.

gary

would it happen to have any VNAF 83rd Sog raiders? im been looking for info on a brown and green camo A-1H with than phong insignia.

thanks!

Boy I wish you'd made this post two or three days earlier! I had a couple photos of Britelight skyraiders in a book I loaned out. I have another source, and I'll to see if there is anything. I do know they have a couple photos of Britelight C123's in it, so there maybe others. Britelight stuff will not be common as much of it is still very deeply classified. But on the otherhand I do have an SOG buddy who was heavilly involved in Britelight missions over Laos and other points even deeper.

gary

OTTO as to your comment on what squadrons were in Flight of the Intruder, the Intruders were VA-196 which is a real squadron. Not trying to be a jerk or anything just found this out myself though. Im still unsure of the A-1H though I have went over that movie 5 times and cannot come up with a valid picture to figure out tail markings or anything else. If anyone has info on these aircraft Please let me know Im in the process of building one as we speak. I really only care about tail markings and the paint scheme everything else is a plus thanks guys. JOSH