Showing a model twice at a show?

I wanted you guys opinion. Has anyone shown (Entered) a model twice at a show. What I mean is I want to enter my Osprey again this year at our model show in April. I entered it last year at the same show. I'm gonna fix a few things and add some other stuff to it. I just wanted to know if anyone else has done that and is cool to enter it again?

Can't speak for larger shows, but I have been to a few really small ones that see the same 3 or 4 models clean up several years in a row. I'm not commenting on whether or not that's good or bad, just saying I've seen it happen.

If you didn't win anything previously with it then it should be fine. Also if you made significant changes to it I don't see why they wouldn't be ok with that.

If it's a winning model they may have a class for previous winners?

I'd be pretty peeved with someone who brought the same winning model every year and won every time. That's not kosher in my book.

It didn't win any awards at all (the other three in that catagory had me beat hands down). I was going to fix the mistakes (the judge told mw what needed to be fixed or made better) and some weathering that I didn't get to do last time.

The general etiquette I've heard is: Retire a non-updated/modified model from competition at a show where it's previously won an award at. If it's updated, a different show, or hasn't won anything at that particular show, you should be socially kosher.

Or, you could just ask the folks holding the show what their rules are.

The general etiquette I've heard is: Retire a non-updated/modified model from competition at a show where it's previously won an award at. If it's updated, a different show, or hasn't won anything at that particular show, you should be socially kosher.

Or, you could just ask the folks holding the show what their rules are.

That makes the most sense to me. Besides, its nice to retire them after they have had their run.

I have had 2 or 3 cases where a model did not win or place and I fixed the problems and won the next year at the same show. Perfectly acceptable. As was mentioned, if it wins or places at a particular show, it is not considered good form to enter it in the same show again. Also, if it wins or places at a regional, it is not considered good form to enter it at any more local shows anywhere.

At Jaxcon in February, I think we had a 1/48 J-10 and maybe an F-18F that won or placed at the Space Coast regional two years ago. I didn't make a stink of of it because I was not 100% sure it was the same kit or person. I also tried to steer clear because I judged that category at Titusville two years ago and there was judging issue between the F-18F and a Mig-17. You guys may remember as it was a big blow up here on ARC.

I don't know if there is actually an IPMS rule against it, however.

Thanks guys. After looking at our rules, it only states that if it's won at the show before, it can't be in the show again. So I guess that answers my question. Looks like it's time to fix up the Osprey. Agian thanks for the answers everyone.

I could be mistaken, but it's my understanding that the IPMS rules state any model that has not previously won FIRST place can be entered as many times as you want. You didn't state if this was an IPMS show or not, and I'm not nor have I ever been an IPMS member, but I go to the IPMS show(s) and that's what I was told. Now etiquette wise, I'd say maybe 3 visits to the same show seems sufficient enough.

I could be mistaken, but it's my understanding that the IPMS rules state any model that has not previously won FIRST place can be entered as many times as you want. You didn't state if this was an IPMS show or not, and I'm not nor have I ever been an IPMS member, but I go to the IPMS show(s) and that's what I was told. Now etiquette wise, I'd say maybe 3 visits to the same show seems sufficient enough.

Sorry I didn't state that it is IPMS Houston show. The Osprey (the model in question) has only been to one show.

Regardless of what IPMS says, IMO etiquette dictates if it has won OR placed, it is out of the same show forever. No placing, then sprucing up and going back to the same show the next year in an attempt to get a higher award. That is just greedy. Also, no going down a grade. Win or place in a regional anywhere, and that model can only be entered in the Nationals.

Edited by DutyCat

Since as you say you are fixing the issues, go for it. You'll be fine.

I've not often entered stuff at the same show in multiple years, but sometimes I've done it to "show the flag" as it were and figured the model wouldn't win anything anyway. I just put it on the table to act as eye candy.

There is nothing wrong with fixing the issues. I can remember a 1/32 A-4 Skyhawk that had an INCREDIBLE amount of work done to it which didn't place at the IPMS Nationals in Dallas in 2000. Reason for it not placing is the builder had an obvious flub of putting on the US insignia on an air brake completely upside down. The judges left it off as they knew if it had placed, it would not have a shot at a higher placement if the problem was fixed and it was entered next time. The same model was entered three years later at a Nationals after the fix was made and while it only got third, it DID place (if it had been entered at the 2001 show it probably would have taken first).

So make the fixes, point them out on the entry form and enter it to your hearts content.

I'm with Horrido. I don't enter the same model in a contest in subsequent years. I've usually got something better to show.

Similarly, I never go back to re-work or "improve" a model. There are just too many unbuilt models in the stash demanding my time!

Bottom line, check with your show and it's rules. They may have a rule that says you can't. I know our show has a rule like that. If has been shown in last year's show, or any year prior to that, it is not eligible for entry again. You can certainly bring it to display it...but not enter it in the contest itself, regardless if it has won something in the past or not.

Doesn't matter if it has been re-worked, or improved, it is the same kit, and not a new build. New builds is what keeps the show fresh, instead of seeing the same thing from year to year.

Bottom line, check with your show and it's rules. They may have a rule that says you can't. I know our show has a rule like that. If has been shown in last year's show, or any year prior to that, it is not eligible for entry again. You can certainly bring it to display it...but not enter it in the contest itself, regardless if it has won something in the past or not.

Doesn't matter if it has been re-worked, or improved, it is the same kit, and not a new build. New builds is what keeps the show fresh, instead of seeing the same thing from year to year.

And that is not a bad approach either. New builds only! It would get folks off their duff and do more building.

If it hasn't won any awards and you are fixing it then I see no issue with it. My biggest thing is the one and only show I have ever been to a guy entered 6 models in the same category and got 1st,2nd, and 3rd. To me that just doesn't seem right. But this wasn't a IPMS show.

If it hasn't won any awards and you are fixing it then I see no issue with it. My biggest thing is the one and only show I have ever been to a guy entered 6 models in the same category and got 1st,2nd, and 3rd. To me that just doesn't seem right. But this wasn't a IPMS show.

I'm entering 4 (hopefully) models, all in different catagories.

Not applicable to your situation, but here in Finland we have a rule that states:

"Models entered in a previous contest may be entered only as part of a collection or diorama, but in a collection they must not make more than one third of it."

My biggest thing is the one and only show I have ever been to a guy entered 6 models in the same category and got 1st,2nd, and 3rd. To me that just doesn't seem right. But this wasn't a IPMS show.

That's why many shows have "No Sweeps" policies..a given modeler can only place once in a give category, no matter how many entries they have or how good they are. Those who support the policy say it helps "spread the wealth" and discourages "trophy hounds." Of course, those who oppose the policy say it puts unfair restrictions on competition. There are similar arguments involving the "1st, 2nd, 3rd" vs "Gold, Silver, Bronze" award systems. Bottom line, you won't please everybody no matter how you structure the competition.

Back to the subject at hand..I see no problem with re-entering something that hasn't won, especially if you've made modifications. My own personal policy is to "campaign" a model at various shows over the course of a year, but retiring it from competition after that. And of course as mentioned above, you can only go "up"..if a model places at a Regional, it's ineligible to compete at the local level again. And of course if it places at the Nationals, it's earned an honorable retirement. Now, I will say (and it's just a personal preference) that I've seen cases where the same model shows up at the same shows year after year..which gets a bit tiresome.

SN

That's why many shows have "No Sweeps" policies..a given modeler can only place once in a give category, no matter how many entries they have or how good they are. Those who support the policy say it helps "spread the wealth" and discourages "trophy hounds." Of course, those who oppose the policy say it puts unfair restrictions on competition. There are similar arguments involving the "1st, 2nd, 3rd" vs "Gold, Silver, Bronze" award systems. Bottom line, you won't please everybody no matter how you structure the competition.

Back to the subject at hand..I see no problem with re-entering something that hasn't won, especially if you've made modifications. My own personal policy is to "campaign" a model at various shows over the course of a year, but retiring it from competition after that. And of course as mentioned above, you can only go "up"..if a model places at a Regional, it's ineligible to compete at the local level again. And of course if it places at the Nationals, it's earned an honorable retirement. Now, I will say (and it's just a personal preference) that I've seen cases where the same model shows up at the same shows year after year..which gets a bit tiresome.

SN

Yeah I agree. Whether it places or not it's gonna go on the shelf. No more shows. I've got plenty in the stash and on the bench to work on.

If you didn't win anything previously with it then it should be fine. Also if you made significant changes to it I don't see why they wouldn't be ok with that.

If it's a winning model they may have a class for previous winners?

I'd be pretty peeved with someone who brought the same winning model every year and won every time. That's not kosher in my book.

Agreed! I might even complain to the judges too. But if your going to differant shows and winning at them, then why not.