Thinning Humbrol Enamels

I was able to pick up my first tins of Humbrol enamels the other day, but they had no thinner.

I assume that lacquer thinner, turpenoid, Testors enamel thinner will all work? Enamels seem to be much easier than acrylics to thin!

Regards,and thanks,

Charlie L

Laquer thinner may be too strong and separate the pigments or cause orangepeel you wouldn´t believe..

Turpenoid might work .. ordinary white spirit is the best however.

I´ve never tried testor´s thiner on humbrol..might work or not but I bet white spirit is cheaper :D

Cheers!

I was able to pick up my first tins of Humbrol enamels the other day, but they had no thinner.

I assume that lacquer thinner, turpenoid, Testors enamel thinner will all work? Enamels seem to be much easier than acrylics to thin!

Regards,and thanks,

Charlie L

Been thinning Humbrol and Model Master enamel with Lacquer thinner since Christ was a Cowboy and never had a problem. It works just fine. Turpenoid has to much oil content and does not work well. Mineral spirits work ok also. My favorite is good old Lacquer thinner.

Edited by ron

There are several paint thinners that will work on Humbrol paints (also Testors/Model Master paints) - I've used Testors thinner, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner and DuPont's 3812S Enamel Reducer. The last is my favorite thinner because it works very well, can be purchased in 1 gallon containers and is relatively cheap. I now tend to restrict the lacquer thinner clean up.

Edited by Hawk10