Build #5 Not for the faint of heart....

Ok, so in the mail yesterday, showed up the second one of these kits I have purchased off of that little web based auction site....lol.

Its Revell's P-51B kit 4773, I had also purchased a really old re-boxed Revell Spitfire Mk1 (the instructions were dated 1967 and looked of it, and the kit smelled of it), but realized I didnt need to cut up (oops did I say that already) both kits, so I am saving that for a future non-racer build.

My plan, (one that I have no idea if anybody has ever actually accomplished) (Hell I dont even know if its allowed in this group build...guess I will find out)

R86-Tsunami.jpg

photo credit Neil Nurmi 1986

Yes Tsunami, the home built racer of John Sandberg, loosely based on the Mustang, using some of its components, down sized quite a bit, some say the smallest airframe to ever house a Merlin.

So here we go....

The perverbial Revell 1/32 "B" model

IMAG0714.jpg

The plan, first I had to profile both kits, then figure out what I would need from each, but as stated, I would only use the Mustang. Then on to scaling in Tsunami to find out where to add, remove, and modify...

IMAG0701.jpg

The first cut is the deepest...

IMAG0702-1.jpg

IMAG0703.jpg

IMAG0705.jpg

Well thrashing away, so more to follow later....hoping you guys wont ostracise me for this

Well going to hang it up for today....I feel like I got alot accomplished, all things considered. Lots of reworking of just about nearly every part on this thing, from cockpit floor, instrument panel, landing gear bays, doors and gear, to h-stab angle, elevator and rudder shape. I managed to narrow up the fuselage just a tad. Next up is some painting inside the fuselage, and tail gear compartment, reskinning the top of the fuselage, and coming up with a 1/48 scale P-51D rear canopy so I can fab up the new windscreen and canopy. This has been a fun and challenging build of such a great racer, that from what I gather, the family of the owner are building a new Tsunami to replace the one that crashed taking the owners life.

Some progress pics...

Fuselage starting to take shape...

IMAG0706.jpg

Building the much hacked up wing, having to add a spar to give it some strength and dihedral...

IMAG0710.jpg

Looking a bit more streamlined than your average Mustang...

IMAG0711.jpg

Finally attaching the wings and adding bulkheads and cockpit floor for added strength for the work required on the top of the fuselage...

IMAG0722.jpg

Belly shot, showing all the grafting of the smaller and shorter main wheel wells, and the removal of the chin scoop...

IMAG0718-1.jpg

And finally, its profile up to this point...

IMAG0719.jpg

PS...looking for any and all extra p-51D 1/48 and 1/32 rear canopies...

Edited by xmh53wrench

More progress for today, and I am pretty much spent. I need to procure a 1/48 D model canopy to finish the top of the fuselage, but over the next few days I will complete the reshaping of the main gear wells and doors.

Pretty happy with the doghouse area....on this plane it had a very small doghouse and scoop. I had to cut down the existing one, and fab new pieces as well...7 pieces comprise just that part of this build.

IMAG0728-1.jpg

And started slapping on the squadron mud...

IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

Catfan, sent ya an email...PM wouldnt go through...

Started to wrap the top of the fuselage....

IMAG0743.jpg

In place, and whittled some valve cover blisters out of some styrene....

IMAG0746.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

Just have to figure out some kind of putty for smoothing the top....seems the squadron green is a bit hot for the thin sheet styrene...any suggestions?

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oh my goodness this is incredible! I love the look of Tsunami (right up there with Galloping Ghost and Precious metal IMO of attractive modded racers) and I'd love a model, but I doubt I'd ever be motivated to do all that you have. Wicked!

Thanks you guys for the kudos...

Well here it sits for the time being, on the back burner. I have procured a canopy to modify, but have not procured the necessary guts to slather a bunch of putty to smooth out the top of the fuselage...

• 5 months later...