Help needed with gluing long seams

Hi,

I just got back into aircraft model building after stopping back in Primary school (36 now). I am starting off with the Trumpeter A-10A N/AW 1/32nd scale model and a Tamiya ME-262 1/48th scale, and I am basically almost as green as can be. I did a 1/48th MIG-29 halfway a few years ago with guidance from some old hands, so I learnt that there are more ways to attached parts than just superglue...

So I was introduced to Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Now, on the A-10 I am in the process of attaching the tail section parts, see pic attached and my question is, what is the best way to glue such a long seam (10 centimetres)?

jsp0yp.jpg

Reinforce that seam with styrene sheets before you close it up, youll regret not doing it later. And I mean reinforce it on the inside seams...

Edited by utley

Thanks for the replies.

@Flyingfortress: So must the two halves be flush up against each other when gluing with the Extra Thin? Should I be worried about the Extra Thin on the surface or will it evaporate off without leaving marks (along the lines of slight runoff)?

@utley: what's the reason for reinforcing the seams?

Welcome back,

The two halves must be mated as the Tamiya Extra Thin works by melting the plastic together to form a bond. Putting some plastic card so it sits halfway across each seam on the inside will add extra strength to the bond of your join and keep the join even. Line one side of the fuselage with the card (even a few pieces here and there along the seam)and add glue with the bottle brush. Let it flow naturally. Once that has had some time to set up you can attach the other side. If you can add the Tamiya Extra Thin from the inside (ie reach inside and let it flow) it will be better. Work along the seam a little at a time, section by section. You will see it move along the seam as you work.

It doesn't set immediately so you have a little time to correctly re-position your piece if you need to do so but work quickly. Once you have it set LEAVE IT ALONE for a couple of seconds to set, then move onto the next section.

It will naturally run into the seam (any seam)and any left on the surface evaporate away if you don't flood it.

As the name suggests it is "Extra Thin" so it will flow into the natural seams it finds so be careful with rubber bands or tamiya tape across the seams. The Tamiya Extra thin will follow these out onto the surface and can cause you problems by leaching under the tape or the rubber band.

Practice on some scrap sprue pieces to see how it works and you will soon get the hang of it.

Regards

Edited by Kahunaminor

A Touch N Flow applicator may help you get the solvent where you need it without a huge mess.

On a long sea like that, I do it in sections. It's very hard to get the whole thing done at once with one end shifting around. Get one end fitting right, apply solvent and tape or clamp. Set it aside and work on something else. Come back to it in a couple hours and work along a little further (moving clamps and tape as necessary). Set it aside a few hours, etc.

May I suggest something?

Try some cheaper Airfix or Revell models first.

A lot of these kits have challenging seams that will give you lots of practice and experience. Once you do a couple Airfix and Revell kits, everything else is easy. :thumbsup:

You will make mistakes. Better to do that on a cheaper model.

Edited by dmk0210

Thanks for the replies.

@Flyingfortress: So must the two halves be flush up against each other when gluing with the Extra Thin? Should I be worried about the Extra Thin on the surface or will it evaporate off without leaving marks (along the lines of slight runoff)?

@utley: what's the reason for reinforcing the seams?

Just in case...these pieces arent perfectly flat with each other, and they like to separate. I had to reinforce it, just so I dont have to do a bunch of rework on mine.

Hi,

I just got back into aircraft model building after stopping back in Primary school (36 now). I am starting off with the Trumpeter A-10A N/AW 1/32nd scale model and a Tamiya ME-262 1/48th scale, and I am basically almost as green as can be. I did a 1/48th MIG-29 halfway a few years ago with guidance from some old hands, so I learnt that there are more ways to attached parts than just superglue...

So I was introduced to Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Now, on the A-10 I am in the process of attaching the tail section parts, see pic attached and my question is, what is the best way to glue such a long seam (10 centimetres)?

jsp0yp.jpg

Hi Cobus,

If I may suggest... you will get a lot out of this PDF download. Go to http://www.2shared.com/file/8704001/fd67e639/Master-P47PDF1.html type in 151555 as the password and click on the BLUE download button.

Larry

Let me know if you find it helpful...

Edited by Miccara

An inexpensive item you might want to consider getting is the micro mark touch n flow. I bought one at the lhs for six dollars. It works perfectly with the tamiya extra-thin cement, and solves just about every gluing problem you'll ever encounter.

• 2 weeks later...