1:32 Trumpeter Harrier GR.7

I hope you are able to get back to it soon, John. I've been learning a lot on how to tackle this kit by watching you tame yours into submission.

Jake

Hi John,

Hope the move goes well, especially for your models - your Lightning is the best I've seen, it was my Dad's favourite aircraft and I have the kit in the stash with a load of am goodies waiting for the day I can truly do it justice, needless to say your build thread will be invaluable.

Bon voyage as we now say Ooop Norf!

Andy

ps. The Harrier's my favourite, saw my first aged about six or seven at Heaton Park Manchester, when you've seen an aircraft take off vertically nothing else comes close.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as Chuck set a precedence for holiday snaps and there’s little chance of any modelling in the near future, here’s a couple with a difference. I took a couple of R/C gliders to Teneriffe 34 years ago in a specially constructed wooden box. A much younger yours truly and big brother running like hell in the distance doing the towing.

Tiede_zps14281abf.jpg

TeideAloftintheCrater_zps4b3466b5.jpg

Until later!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Gosh,

John I just saw this AMAZING build and WOW. its simply mind blowing..

I hope you get to work on this more once things with your family etc is settled and move to the North is not that bad..

WE area friendly folk here ! in the North I meant..

Good luck in everything. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Hi Alpagueur, Holmes, Mike and Jeff. Just happened to come across the thread revival.

In April 2014 I moved back North to be able to continue looking after my father suffering from Alzheimer’s Dementia. This drained me physically and mentally to zero and I eventually had no option but to put him in a Nursing Home. Whereupon the Nursing Home didn’t look after him properly and within 3 days in their care he was in an EMU, unconscious due to dehydration. Admitted to hospital on Christmas night, so at least everybody else was having a good time! The hospital looked after him wonderfully, but he died 4 weeks later.

So to where I am at the moment. I have heard other people say they have lost their mojo. I know what they mean, but it was not just in modelling. I am also short on patience etc., so the Harrier stays out of harms way. To try and get back into ‘it’ I have taken up my former interest in RC gliders again, relaxing being outside, when it’s not raining, using a model which did not require huge patience. But it did get some JW modifications. I’ve even resurrected my models from 35 years ago.

I may take up the Harrier again come winter.

Cheers, and thanks for your interest.

John

Sorry to hear about your Dad John, Alzheimers is a terrible thing to get afflicted with.....my condolences to you and your family.

I can appreciate modelling taking a huge step backwards when something like that happens as well, I am the same John, everything has to be fine for me to do any modelling, when I have something worrying me, its the last thing I could care about.

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler

Hi John,

I'm very sorry to hear about your circumstances but glad to hear you yourself are OK, or as well as you can be with the grief and stress of events.

The only consolation I can offer is that time is a great healer. It may sound glib, but I know from experience it's true.

best wishes,

Charles

My condolences, always hard to lose a parent even if you know it has to happen.

Take care of yourself and let your family care of you and allow yourself to grieve without bitterness...sorrow in itself is enough adding bitterness will not make things better.

So very sorry to hear of your loss John, you will feel better it just takes time. It's been a year and a half since I lost my mother, I still miss her. Your father would want you to continue doing the things you enjoy so, when your ready the Harrier will be waiting.

Steve

• 5 months later...

Thank you Karl, Major Walt, Jeff, Charles, Aigore, Steve. We don’t know each other and are not likely to ever meet, so your supportive words were/are particularly appreciated.

They say that time flies when you are having fun or get older, it certainly isn’t the former. It’s hard to believe it is nearly 3 years since I last worked on the Harrier. I wonder if my enthusiasm and extent of patience will ever return. Progress will be as and when, but for a re-introduction to the WIP I decided to have a go at correcting the nose.

This method involves correcting separate fuselage halves and doing it in a position where there is no conflict with existing panel lines etc. Further forward also means less ‘packing’ is required and by not completely cutting through the fuselage halves ensures perfect alignment/fit. Yeah, I thought about this for a while before committing!

85a_zps4toouzos.jpg

Regards, John.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

OK, how do you include Photobucket photos? Clicked on Insert other media, Insert image from URL, copied and pasted but no url or image!

Thanks Crackerjazz, seem to have sorted it. Photobucket is a real PITA since I last used, with adverts etc.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

wow, thank you for restarting this build. just a pity there was a pause in your build, i would have benefited greatly using yours as a detailed guide.

nevertheless, cant wait to see this completed.