1:32 Trumpeter Harrier GR.7

Nearly three years on and the cockpit is finally finished. Fortunately I had airbrushed the tub and the sidewalls and just required detail hand painting.  I do not have the airbrushing facility as at previous residence. Anybody use an airbrush cleaning station? Does it contain the solvent vapour/smells if there is a good quality filter? Specifically for small jobs, not whole models.

Thanks again Crackerjazz, Imgur works, to hell with Photobucket. :thumbsup:

4OZ8PH5.jpg%20%20

Edited by John Wolstenholme
PITA Photobucket

Some mods started on the nose. The Zeus ECM kit parts are too small and wrong shape. Viewed from front, the fwd sections are not round/symmetrical and are handed. The reaction control duct has been removed, also wrong size/shape and should be flush with the fuselage.

FEYgkA2.jpg

It is long known the raised panel on the port side and the slime lights should be flush, not raised. So it’s likely the raised vertical sections just inside the intakes need to be removed as well. But probably best to look at photos, just in case:

http://www.hunavia.hu/AIRSHOW/Kecskemet_2007/KECSKEMT2007HARRIER/_ke_2007_fv_1238.jpg

http://www.hunavia.hu/AIRSHOW/Kecskemet_2007/KECSKEMT2007HARRIER/_ke_2007_fv_1273.jpg

Oh, missed something out. Looks raised to me at the front so will feather-in at the rear.

I removed the kit FLIR housing to improve the kit detail, but it also served as a convenient position for the nose modification. New housing from scrap resin which now includes the ‘window’.  I have also feathered in the raised strips in the intakes.

yU2sb2W.jpg

Hi Tom and TTTT  thanks, and for looking in. Having joined the nose halves and sorted out the pivot points, the time invested in making my circumferential scriber makes reinstating such panel lines much easier.

CCF5YOv.jpg%20

Found the nose RCV isn’t actually flush with the fuselage skin, but it does need re-doing, so nothing lost.

Hi Joe. Scriber is fixed in the brass tube with a grub screw, set at the appropriate distance so it doesn’t move/rotate. The scriber moves up and down to follow the contour.

Hours of work but not a lot to show for it although the underside is complete, except for vulnerable antennae to be added last thing. If in doubt always look at a photo, or better still two photos. I thought the nose RCV was flush with the fuselage looking at the only photo I had seen until recently - taken in a hangar (source ?) with flash, so some detail was not obvious. It turns out there are small lateral bulges to the duct, as shown to good effect in this Graham James photo:

http://p1127.co.uk/Harrier/HarrierGR7/slides/ZD469-W043.JPG 

It’s also noteworthy where the panel line goes. There is another bulge just behind the Zeus antennae, which is also barely noticed in profile.

08cDys1.jpg%20

Back when last working on the GR.7 in January 2014, I think I recollect someone commenting on the windscreen angle. Or it maybe I'm confused.com. Since the kit fuselage fairing and windscreen are correctly in line not going to worry about the angle. However, when you compare the inset area of the real thing with the kit, this does not look right. Filler is likely to end up in a mess. Thinking cap on.

9PWbfHv.jpg%20

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, John Wolstenholme said:

Filler is likely to end up in a mess.

Mind you, you could end up with a mess if you go my route! I wouldn’t suggest trying this unless 99% confident of a positive outcome. For the best result I only wanted to use filler on the top edge to blend in. Basically, scribing, careful scraping out material to receive 10 thou card and then shaping a card piece to fit exactly to three sides. Avoided hot solvent weld on the 10 thou card as this is likely to ruin it – used MEK.  Also got rid of the un-scale sized (cooling?) aperture.

QylHd3f.jpg%20

Hey John, wonderful to see you back in action and applying your eye and creativity to model aircraft again.

I haven't actually begun my journey in miniature from P1127 to .... I suppose AV-8B+ being the arguable end-point? - in my fairly recently adopted 1/32 scale, but certainly will be storing your Gen II Harrier improvements for when I get to them.

I still can't believe we in the UK retired one of the surviving pinnacles of Brit excellence and world-beating ingenuity over 4 years ago.

And did I say great to see you back?

Edited by chek
1 hour ago, TTomcaTT said:

Hi all, I'm Sorry John , is not right 5893916999d64_74-2b_zps600f3903.jpgoriginal.jpg.3bf2dc305538fe1431bc651b793ad002.jpg and you need redress the situation

Hi TTTT. If you look at my text above the photo you show, it says "There’s quite a lot to be done to the tail: cooling intake to fin is wrong, incorrect panel lines, ventral fin trailing edge scale thickness equates to ~3”, antennae look wrong, tail boom should be round at back instead of ’rectangular’ ……."  where ...... means etc., etc.  eg the slime lights are not raised as in the kit. It is incomplete, sorry.

The port view shown lower down is more complete:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jwolst/Harrier/76-8a_zpsf137b4a9.jpg ,

but this also is not the finished item.:rolleyes:

TTTT, sometimes it is just luck which gets us through.

Removed raised detail and AV-8B II panel etc., re-scribed panels and slime lights to both sides, but still have to do all panel screws. 

I made a new AoA sensor from brass and plastic rod. For later fitting of pitot heads, I drill them for setting 0.45mm Cu wire into the ends, then add/form 0.25mm mounting plates. Makes fitting/alignment easier and more secure. Downside is you could come out of the side when drilling. The pitot heads are ~0.9mm thick, so first try on a similar size and thickness card piece if you have a go.

2ZeufP2.jpg%20%20 

Great to see this project back on air - despite the unfortunate events around you.

Detailed cockpits are my cup of tea and yours look wonderful! Great corrective action on the several areas of the fuselage as well. You really know your subject!

On 1/29/2017 at 10:34 AM, John Wolstenholme said:

Hi Joe. Scriber is fixed in the brass tube with a grub screw, set at the appropriate distance so it doesn’t move/rotate. The scriber moves up and down to follow the contour.

Hours of work but not a lot to show for it although the underside is complete, except for vulnerable antennae to be added last thing. If in doubt always look at a photo, or better still two photos. I thought the nose RCV was flush with the fuselage looking at the only photo I had seen until recently - taken in a hangar (source ?) with flash, so some detail was not obvious. It turns out there are small lateral bulges to the duct, as shown to good effect in this Graham James photo:

http://p1127.co.uk/Harrier/HarrierGR7/slides/ZD469-W043.JPG 

It’s also noteworthy where the panel line goes. There is another bulge just behind the Zeus antennae, which is also barely noticed in profile.

08cDys1.jpg%20

Back when last working on the GR.7 in January 2014, I think I recollect someone commenting on the windscreen angle. Or it maybe I'm confused.com. Since the kit fuselage fairing and windscreen are correctly in line not going to worry about the angle. However, when you compare the inset area of the real thing with the kit, this does not look right. Filler is likely to end up in a mess. Thinking cap on.

9PWbfHv.jpg%20

Hi John,

It may have been me who made a comment about the windscreen angle in this discussion (I referenced your amazing build).

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937542-trumpeter-132nd-harrier-gr79-updated-april-6th/#comment-1280904

Keep going with the amazing work!

Colin(?), hi. Just had a look at your link; yes that must be where I saw it. For me the kit is acceptable – don’t think it is as much as 40 deg. Change the angle of the fairing and you would have to change the angle of the windscreen, otherwise that would catch the eye.

Prior to fitting forward fuselage and intake ‘cheeks’, made the sensors to fit in intakes, not included in the kit:

http://fanakit.free.fr/harrier_gr7/Harrier%20GR7%20RAF-Meeting-BA102-Dijon-Longvic-29juin2008-DSC_0051.jpg

Fashioned a couple from scrap resin. Cannot make square inlet holes this small, so round will have to do. 

zRSrwxu.jpg%20%20

Sometimes one gets so focussed on one aspect that something obvious slips by. So it was when re-forming all the pylons I wanted the wing halves joined, but what I overlooked was the removal of material and fitting of the detail Aires RP1 in the outrigger gear bays before joining said halves.

So whilst painting the necessary areas of the nose to fit to rear fuselage, looked to resolve this.

(a) drilled holes for rough cut removal of section.

(b) removed  flanges from RP1 which prevent piece pushing through to the outside.

(c) filed to match rectangular aperture with RP1.

(d) set card pieces inside to prevent RP1 going into wing.

(e) filed underside RP1 until it sits at the correct depth.

VALU7lc.jpg%20%20

Hi John

Only now catching up with this wonderful build blog. Amazing work so far. I am normally a 1/48 builder but the Harrier is such a nice aircraft that I think it looks great in 1/32nd. Not too big too, well compared to the F-15 anyway.

I have been thinking about picking up the Trumpeter kit but having read some of the reviews on line I was hesitant. And after seeing your correction work I may have to hold off as I don't think my skills are anywhere near yours.

Anyway, I will keep checking in on your builds and it may give me inspiration to go get the kit and follow your lead.

Thanks for posting and sharing your journey.