1:32 Trumpeter Harrier GR.7

Ho ho ho Look at

that snow. Winter in Norway 

whitewashed camo.

(I believe that could be construed as a form of Haiku pentameter).

I commented recently in a discussion elsewhere about D-Day stripes, with the trick being in making it look like a badly or hurriedly painted aircraft, rather than a poorly painted model. To that end, any D-Day stripes I did were neatly masked with the merest bit of overspray/brushwork and hint of ragged edges on closer inspection. I'm not sure how I'd go about a winter scheme, but am interested to see your skills tackle it John. Looking good so far.

Merry Christmas!

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, chek said:

but am interested to see your skills tackle it

You and me both :wave:

Hello Bill and thanks on both counts.

It’s a dull and dreary day and something continues to niggle me about Zotz decal ZD379, it just doesn’t look right. So I decided to compare this decal with the Model Alliance Airframe one. Here is the result and some other comparisons: mRGkBb3.jpg%20

Zotz 2, Airframe 5. Need to look at others.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

Progress is slow, but at least moving in the right direction. Applied white to top and part sides, flowing onto port tailplane. Port nose and mid set out masking for the decals – one decal (Airframe, nothing with Trumpeter or Zotz sheets) for the nose gear doors opening had to be cut into 4 sections for masking for later decal application. Zotz refuelling/defuelling decal looks big. There was no way I am going to apply decals and then mask them for the white application.

GljsB7S.jpg%20

gZEijhz.jpg%20

When natural light is poor, or I don’t feel like airbrushing, I pass as I really don’t want to screw it up after 5 years!

That does look like a whitewashey white alright. (Though had to open your image links in new tabs).

I know what you mean about the light - yesterday at noon here (north UK) was almost as dark as a winter twilight (4.30 pm-is) with Eleanor in transit. It's slightly better today, but still very greyish light. Certainly not suitable for getting a decent colour balance if fine judgement was required.

Happy New Year, John.

Hello John, trust you are well. I need to check how you are progressing with your A-7. HNY.

22 hours ago, chek said:

Though had to open your image links in new tabs)

Don’t understand that as the photos appear as normal for me! HNY.

20 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

You're in the "home stretch" to finish it. What stores do you plan to hang on the pylons?

Hi Matt, if only, but thanks for the encouragement.

Stores: Stns 3, 7 drop tanks; BOL rails stns 1A (with ACMI pod), 9A; stn 8 CBLS.

Wonder if they ever carried two CBLS? But then I could have it as a whiffer with removable CBLS on the port.

Strangely, on today's visit your photos appear in your previous post as they should.

Still, on the subject of CBLSs, out of almost 2K photos of assorted GR5s, -7s and 9s I found just one with the dual CBLSs fitted, on a GR5 likely from about 1990.

(Image courtesy of Rob Edgcumbe)

39493874691_90f9a92b22_o.jpg

I also found this  4 Sqn Harrier GR7 ZG530 on arctic exercise, which I thought might be of interest to you for the soft edge white camouflage and the staining around the forward

cold nozzle.

39493882141_9528296ebe_o.jpg

Edited by chek

Looking very good... there's no real trouble in decalling and then masking to spray further, but let the decals set well (maybe a test on a spare piece), seal it in, let it dry thoroughly and prepare the tape so that it looses a bit of it's stickyness... Must admit, I also got cold feet for my JGSDF F-15 (albeit a whole lot smaller), but it worked fine in the end...

21 hours ago, chek said:

on the subject of CBLSs, out of almost 2K photos of assorted GR5s, -7s and 9s I found just one with the dual CBLSs fitted, on a GR5 likely from about 1990.

also found this  4 Sqn Harrier GR7 ZG530 on arctic exercise, which I thought might be of interest to you for the soft edge white camouflage and the staining around the forward

cold nozzle.

Many thanks for the input and photos. This area around and below the refuel/defuel point and a similar area on the stdb side seem to be a common feature.

2 hours ago, Silenoz said:

there's no real trouble in decalling and then masking to spray further....

Must admit, I also got cold feet for my JGSDF F-15 (albeit a whole lot smaller), but it worked fine in the end.

But you only need one decal to (partly) lift with no replacement(s) available and you really are up the proverbial creek. My feet are blocks of ice at the prospect. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow, had about 3hrs of suitable light for airbrushing in the last 10 days and I don’t get much done in an hour! Working on the ‘weathering’ effects, some of which can be seen in this photo. This is the most difficult scheme I have done and being 5 years since my last airbrush job with the A-7E doesn’t help.

owrBzDf.jpg%20

It was a good decision omitting the refuelling probe/housing* as it was difficult enough to paint under the LERX. Also, unlike the other Harriers the white doesn’t go over this*.

Recently noticed I am missing the ‘rail’ on which the canopy opens. Had a good ‘laugh’ trying to bend the Eduard part, which requires 3 bends to form a 2mm box section, before binning it. Made one from plastic U section and thin card with the slot which should run the full length, unlike the Eduard part.

Thought I'd remove a piece of the Tamiya tape just to see all is well having been on the windscreen for ~ 5 months - no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The covers are mostly off and nose gear doors, main gear doors and cross-dam LID in place. All small details requiring masking and painting done eg Zeus ECM housings, pitots, aerials etc.

I2dnwGq.jpg%20

Back to the ‘weathering’. Need to make an ACMI/ACQN unit which I overlooked when making the other ordnance back in 2012.

Scratch built AIM-9 Acquisition pod from plastic rod and using various bits of decals and 24x 1mm letters for ACQN.

yX7tJ0Q.jpg%20

Airbrake and jack installed after reducing the length of the jack, otherwise it hung down too low for my liking. Probably, like the Hunter it would drop to full extension with time.

NwSlDYC.jpg%20

Another detail still to do is the nose leg door. This should hinge outside the leg recess on ‘extensions’, not just hang on the back of the leg.

I have just noticed an oversight with the outrigger gear doors. Looks like they have rubberised bottom edges to seal on closing. So where over-sprayed with ARTF white and cannot be seen, it is visible on the inside.

They say a change is as good as a rest. Not turning out to be the case. Started to apply decals in areas other than where ‘weathering’ is still to be done or completed. The Zotz decals for the fin flash and Fire Panels are slightly out of register, so a very thin edge of white showed, which stood out on the dark grey – used Airframe instead.

Then I noticed a problem of my own making. The masking size for the Rescue arrow (port side) – I did not use the dual language version, so that will need correcting.Glx8NP3.jpg%20

Think I am get a little weary of this project and take a break.

It's looking really good so far John.

I particularly like the way the fine details such as the riveting are there if you look, but don't distract from the overall view.

Incidentally, I've continued looking at many other (mostly GR1 and GR3) models of Harrier in arctic camo, and there's a lot of blackish dirty scuffing showing up on the areas you'd expect wear and tear and ground crew access and soot from the jet, but that brown staining at the top wing panel joint seems fairly unique to those Harriers.

Edited by chek
clarity
  • 2 weeks later...

Heh - l like the scrape mark under the door! Just where a boot might clamber. And just generally getting decals to fit their respective apertures isn't always as easy as it should be.

I'm dreading fitting all the No Step markings to those dorsal panels on my Sea Vixen when the time comes.

Though I have to ask about your lo-intensity formation light lenses (hate that term 'slime lights').

My last attempt at killing that awful bright yellow most decals see fit to provide came out a dull mustardy sort of shade, but yours look

like a kind of intensified Sky which looks far better, and hints much more at the luminous green shade they light up to.

Hi Chek and Crackerjazz, appreciate you dropping in and your comments.

Finally sorted the port nose rescue arrow etc. No decal with Zotz for nose wheel door opening, used Airframe cut into 5 pieces to fit around actuator. Refuelling probe/housing now fixed in place.

22Yc9fn.jpg%20

Some serious ‘staining’ below and aft of the refuelling point with fuel, hydraulic oil and ARTF paint ‘interaction’. Yep, the white had worn off the intake lip.