John Wolstenholme

1:32 Trumpeter Harrier GR.7

359 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Posted April 15, 2012

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2012 at 0:27 PM, stusbke said:

Care to elaborate a bit more on that?

Not at this time Frederick, as mentioned in post #12

Hello Carl. I posted something back in 2012 (post #12) about this, seems to have disappeared; removed with a couple of unnecessary comments?

I said then I would like to get something published, little knowing what awaited me in 2014 and thereafter and the 3 year outage. It might improve my chances if all the details are not ‘published’ beforehand on ARC, I don’t know. If that is unsuccessful I may go down the route of making a PDF available by email.

Finally completed a job I had been putting off, finishing the Aires coaming/main instrument panel for painting. As a result of aligning the MFDs, instruments etc. were lost. A number of switches were either broken off or indistinguishable, so renewed them all. However, a bit of a problem on dry fitting with Aires HUD P.E. in place. Looks good, but is too high and windscreen will not seat on the fuselage. So much so, removing material under the coaming would not make any difference. Having the Eduard interior set and checking against Aires, it does now fit easily. PITA.

p51w2iK.jpg%20

Well, when I say finished, I cannot fit the central instruments until after painting.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

Had a bit of a disaster with the canopy. Apparently there is clear styrene and there is clear styrene! Painted the MDC internal recessed shape and inevitably some comes outside the groove. I had done a test piece beforehand letting the paint dry then removing unwanted paint with a suitable thinner. All was well. Did it on the real thing and all the unwanted paint didn’t come off. Another trial on an old canopy with a metal polish, paint comes off and canopy is shiny and clear. Voila. Did the same on the Harrier canopy and it is badly fogged. A ‘non voila’ moment.

An hour or so later after rubbing with 2000 W&D followed by cloth/toothpaste (Colgate if you are interested) and it is back clear again. Yahoo.

Anyhow, wasn’t too impressed with the visibility of my painted MDC, so then added the Zotz decal to the outside; a test piece inside did not work. I was disappointed with the lack of decals for the outrigger legs, but this more than made up for it as there was no way I could have improvised an MDC, as I did with the outrigger decals. Although you can see both internal and external MDCs in the enlarged photo, at life size with the eye it appears as if the MDC is in the styrene.

14DkM8f.jpg%20

Presently working on the replaced canopy frame – thanks to Aires customer service. Back end is incorrect as per the kit part. Looked at what’s available in the Eduard PE exterior set, but plastic card is going to be easier and more secure than trying to fit the PE.

Great progress John!

I'm waiting news with impatience!

The MDC can be a real nerv wrecking step in the build.In my recent Harrier I was lucky to have this details in positive in the inner side of the Hasegawa canopy,so all I'd to do was to paint with a good,pointy brush.

But when I build the Airfix Buccaneer,I scratched the chord out of the most thin electrical wire I put my hands on ( that of the earplug iirc).

A experience I'm not so keen to reapeat...

Gianni

Posted (edited)

Hi Gianni, unfortunately the 3 year lay-off has only made me slower.  Lot of time spent without a lot to show for it. The shroud/main instrument panel is finally fitted, with completed HUD. Probably not a good decision as the front screen needs to be finished and fitted to protect the HUD before I can work on the underside. Mistake. There are numerous tiny ‘bits’ which need making and fitting to the arch (if I can be bothered!). Also, there is a very noticeable instrument (?) at shroud LHS to be made.

At least the canopy is complete having added detail inside and modified/detailed the rear. Lost some MDC decal at front and rear edges due to Tamiya tape masking inevitably crossing it, so that needed bits to repair. Mistake, should have applied decal later.

CmWPafC.jpg%20

PKB82CT.jpg

All is sorted but patience gauge is showing near MT.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

I love watching your updates John.  Great work, and thanks for sharing your progress and photos.

I am with Jmel, above!!!!!!!

Great work John!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Posted (edited)

John, you did a great job. :thumbsup:

Please add a photo of the reverse side canopy ...

Edited by TTomcaTT

Jake, John and Vitaliy, good to hear from you and thanks for taking the time.

Vitaliy, I assume you mean the underside.

rU8SX3v.jpg%20

Yes it . Thanks, John . What did you decide about the riveting of the wings?