1:32 Trumpeter Harrier GR.7

Hi John, so most of the corrections are done from photos? If so, do you just do the corrections from just looks or by measurements from the photos? Good luck for the rest of the build.

Wayne Beattie

Hi Jake, long time no see/hear.

Hi John, so most of the corrections are done from photos? If so, do you just do the corrections from just looks or by measurements from the photos?

Hi Wayne. Like most people I don't have (ready) access to the real thing so I use both of these methods. If the photo is square-on I’ll use it for ‘measuring’, otherwise it is good old eyeballing.

Regards

John

John, good to see you tackling this bad boy. It will be nice to see how you address some of the issues in this kit. It's funny this kit didn't get much love from AM industry. Anyway, a requests as usual, please take a lot of pics of your work. They will be greatly appreciated. :worship:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the kit tanks looking more to my liking after an extensive re-work. Shape of front half re-formed, all panels re-scribed, new sway brace fixings and positions corrected, added fuel and air pressure lines, electrical connector, new fin, slots (not recesses) in tailcones at correct spacing and positions and a few other added details.

36a.jpg

Patience capacitor is temporarily discharged.

• 2 weeks later...

#1 Looking at the outboard pylons there seems to be a real problem, as shown by the red line. I’m thinking these should be more like the green line/black positions for two outer pylons. Anyone care to comment?

#2 Sorted out the non fitting ailerons and corrected shape to outboard end in preparation of pylons and actuators re-work.

#3 What’s with the raised detail?

37a.jpg

Was thinking of taking a trip to FAA Museum to see the GR.9, but acft doesn’t appear to have anything fitted apart from drop tanks!

#1 Looking at the outboard pylons there seems to be a real problem, as shown by the red line. I’m thinking these should be more like the green line/black positions for two outer pylons. Anyone care to comment?

Hi John, neat improvements as always :thumbsup:

>> This photo<< might not be conclusive but it does appear to back up your theory.

>> This one << however looks more like the kit parts. :hmmm:

Cheers :cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

>> This one << however looks more like the kit parts. :hmmm:

Hello Guy. I think this second photo is misleading because the middle of these three pylons is deeper than the ones to either side, hence giving the appearance shown in the second photo.

This is what leads me to think the kit is wrong:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/475620/L/

Edited by John Wolstenholme

Hi John,

Yes, I see what you are saying.

Is the centre pylon deeper in the kit?

I wonder if there were different pylons available for different ordnance selection on the full sized aircraft?

Is it possible that some pictures depict differing pylon arrangements? :hmmm:

This is where the MkI eyeball earns it's keep. ;) You might need to just create what looks correct when viewed from multiple angles :coolio:

I'm enjoying the upgrades that you're tackling John, thanks for sharing what you can. I'd like a Harrier in my cabinet in the future so all of this will be most helpful, cheers.

:cheers:

Is the centre pylon deeper in the kit?

I wonder if there were different pylons available for different ordnance selection on the full sized aircraft?

Is it possible that some pictures depict differing pylon arrangements?

Guy in the absence of expert information, this is my observation. Pylons are specific to the relevant stations and the only variation I have seen is when pylons are not fitted at all, except those for the drop tanks. Then fairings are fitted in their place. As in http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1833353/L/

Yes the kit middle pylon of these three is deeper by about 30%.

Regards

John

John & Guy, if you look at these photos, it shows that Trumpeter got the line (red) of the pylons correct;

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Italy---Navy/McDonnell-Douglas-AV-8B/1516645/L/&sid=c521f99adbe9efce951f9b858486793c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Italy---Navy/McDonnell-Douglas-AV-8B/1813989/L/&sid=c521f99adbe9efce951f9b858486793c

Each pylon is specific to its station, one design per station.

Andy

Edited by Kagemusha

Hi Andy and Mike, thanks for your input.

Andy, the main problem with the Italian AV-8Bs is that there are no missile rails fitted to the outrigger gear bays, so what I am questioning is not seen. The square-on underside photo link I posted shows the line of the pylons to be in a near straight line and fairly parallel to the LE. Rightly, or wrongly(?), I am thinking there is little perspective error in this photo. Do you disagree?

Mike, yes saw this some time ago, will re-read, but Dave is talking about the USMC acft, again no missle rails as RAF acft.

At the moment the only fix I can see is to move the missle rail slightly forward and the others rearward. How, yet to be determined.

Cheers

John

and there is this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/costelma/Aircraft/2012-02-20103609.jpg

Edited by John Wolstenholme

John,

great build and attention to details as always...and you have a great knack at giving clarity to everything you do. :thumbsup:

WRT the pylon issue - is it worth comparing with/scaling up from, the 1/48 Hasegawa/Revell Harrier pylons? Just a thought...

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Graham.

I see what you mean John, one thing though is that the Sidewinder station is higher than the two outboard so gives a distorted perspective from certain angles, which is sadly not much help I guess. I have some 1/72 plans from an old Air Pictorial, will dig them out...

WRT the pylon issue - is it worth comparing with/scaling up from, the 1/48 Hasegawa/Revell Harrier pylons? Just a thought...

Graham.

Hi Graham. Haven't seen or have access to either of these kits so I do not know about the accuracy of either. Binbrook - Lightning enthusiast or ex RAF?

Cheers

John

Hi Andy. I have seen 1:72 drwgs by Mike Keep who is rated when it comes to accuracy. The ‘line’ of these three pylons appears to be as my green line i.e. the most outboard pylon slightly short of the inner pair. As you say depending on where you look from eg 2nd photo link by Geedub the depth of the middle pylon gives a false impression. Thought I would take a trip up to FAA Museum to resolve this and some other issues. Just as well I contacted them before hand as the GR.9 is in Cobham Hall which is not open to the public, except on very limited occasions. Oh ……

Whilst I contemplate modifications to the pylons, I thought I would have a go at a couple of CBLS-100s as there are non available in 1:32. Got the basic shapes, now to add some details.

38a.jpg

Hi Graham. Haven't seen or have access to either of these kits so I do not know about the accuracy of either. Binbrook - Lightning enthusiast or ex RAF?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I understand the Hasegawa Harrier is believed to be pretty accurate (if not the best fitting!) I dug my Hasegawa GR.7 out the loft and did some measurements - I used the same methodology as Dave Roof to scale up the pylon lengths - his numbers in brackets:

Inner pylon:79.5" (81.5")

Middle pylon:91.52 (86.5")

Outer pylon:79.5" (82")

UK pylon:67.5"

The Hasegawa middle pylon scales our somewhat differently to Dave's 1:1 pylons; however, when the pylons are attached to the kit wings, they follow very closely the green line on your diagram, not the red line. Don't know if this info helps/hinders/confuses you further, but thought it might be useful to compare. The Hasegawa pylons look 'right' to me btw...

In answer to your other query...enthusiast! I spent a lot of time in the '80's cycling uphill from Gt. Grimsby to Binbrook on a fixed-wheel bike...usually in soggy, cold, and by then very heavy drainpipe jeans! Quite often to only observe the inside of a cloud, and no Lightnings! Still, it was mainly downhill heading home... My knees are now screwed, but I have some great memories!!

Keep up the good work and I look fwd to seeing your rendition of a MB Mk.12 seat!

Regards,

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the same methodology as Dave Roof to scale up the pylon lengths - his numbers in brackets:

Inner pylon:79.5" (81.5")

Middle pylon:91.52 (86.5")

Outer pylon:79.5" (82")

UK pylon:67.5"

I look fwd to seeing your rendition of a MB Mk.12 seat!

Hello Graham, thanks for that – interesting. Not sure what you mean when you say you used the same method as Dave Roof. I assumed he would have actually measured them. The USMC and RAF main pylons look different in design, but maybe not in length. The Trumpeter RAF pylon when scaled up comes out at 1907mm, 75.1â€Â! I am hoping Aires are going to sort the seat for me!

After nearly 80 pieces of plastic card/tube, resin etc for each unit, finally had enough of the CBLS100s. Feel the need for speed, but will make do with painting.

41d.jpg

Really nice work on the CBSL100 - I remember scrathing one for an Airfix Hawk a long long time ago, will be wanting one for a 1/32 Hawk, but will be lazy and buy the Flightpath jobbie when available...

I bought the SAM RAF Harrier book, and the pylons are depicted as you suspect - though the accuracy of the drawings is debatable. From some photos it does look like the middle of the three pylons in question is shorter, ie. it doesn't reach the green line.

Finally, in case you hadn't heard Aires are supposed to be releasing a GR.7 pit, hopefully soon, as the sooner you finish it, the sooner it gets in print, and the sooner I get to find out how you fixed the leading edge - waiting for Christmas as a kid was never like this! :santa:

Andy

Great progress and great detail. Keep up the nice work. I love it.

Rogiér

P.S.

Its a shame that the U.K. stop flying with the Harrier. I will miss the Harrier on the RIAT this year.

Hello Graham, thanks for that – interesting. Not sure what you mean when you say you used the same method as Dave Roof. I assumed he would have actually measured them. The USMC and RAF main pylons look different in design, but maybe not in length. The Trumpeter RAF pylon when scaled up comes out at 1907mm, 75.1â€Â! I am hoping Aires are going to sort the seat for me!

After nearly 80 pieces of plastic card/tube, resin etc for each unit, finally had enough of the CBLS100s. Feel the need for speed, but will make do with painting.

41d.jpg