1:32 Trumpeter Harrier GR.7

Thanks Jake, appreciate you taking the time to drop in. It’s coming together …… slowly.

Clearly Trumpeter didn’t have a clue what the Stn 5 pylon looks like, but it is at least good for a laugh. Sometimes I spend more looking at photos to try and get the details more accurate than actually doing it! Not in this case. This was done without good side on photos.

81-1a_zpsf4410e9e.jpg

Thanks Spike (Merv), as with the seat your photos helped me once again.

John, is there a square inch on this kit that doesn't require a fix?!

You realize you could make a fortune if you had a aftermarket resin produced copy and market your updates.

:thumbsup:/>

Marcel

+1. Put me down for a set 😊

Hi Nathan. The trick is to know when to have a break. I also don’t look too far ahead, dealing with one thing at a time. It works for me!

Marcel, even when I’ve finished there will still be things that aren’t correct. Too expensive, copyright issues and I wouldn’t want to risk parts/model being damaged or lost.

Jake with no Harrier Exposed, one has to seek answers at 32 SIG Harrier, Primeportal, Flickr, ANet etc. :D

The kit cross-dam LID and bay may be OK if you are fitting the strakes, but when the ‘gun pod’ LIDs are fitted they need to be modified, as the kit parts are the wrong shape and size.

80-1a_zpsd10d2834.jpg

Next items to consider are i) additional detailing to belly ii) the flap underside root area. Looks like there should be some fairing for flap actuation, as part of the flap. There is just a fuselage raised area instead.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

Jake with no Harrier Exposed, one has to seek answers at 32 SIG Harrier, Primeportal, Flickr, ANet etc. :D/>/>

I would love to do a Harrier Guide, but I'm stuck on the RAF versions. I shot some cockpits of them a few years ago, but never had the chance to do a thorough walkaround prior to their withdrawal from service. It doesn't seem right to do a book solely on the USMC jets, so I've waited, hoping the needed pics will magically fall in my lap.

Jake, they are all sitting at AMARC with the panels open, should be no problem getting those under the skin shots. LOL!!!!I may be wrong, but there is a rumor around that a few of the MK 7's were brought into Cherry Point complete for maintenance trainers, and in flying condition.Do you have contacts at CP, per haps Dave Roof might know.

Edited by ghatherly

Spike, great reference photos thanks for posting.

Finally got the flap underside root areas sorted. This is what the kit looks like before modification

82-2a_zps2e865ad5.jpg

and after with an actuator fairing attached to the flap.

83-7a_zpscf21194a.jpg

Would have been a lot easier if I had thought to do this before fixing PE! By design or good fortune the flaps can be removed for later fixing.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

Hello John, trust the H is going well.

In the absence of actually seeing a Harrier, this is my best shot at what the panels look like to the underside. The forward panel position left, but with reduced fasteners, second panel is in the wrong position when viewed w.r.t. the pylon; it is also the wrong shape. I have also added a third panel. Plenty of areas for hydraulic oil leaks etc.

84-2a_zpsdb7a382b.jpg

Need a break from scratchbuilding, so I’ll have to do something I can paint – like finishing the cockpit.

I think you should take a break from scratch building so that the rest of us don't look so bad in comparison! You continue to be the supreme master of fine details made with tiny bits of white styrene. I'm very jealous.

In case you haven't bookmarked it already John, here's some very detailed pics of a GR.7 on Prime Portal:

Harrier GR.7

Man that thing is dirty. I love it!

Your skills are by far the best on here.

Hi Mike. Appreciate the sentiment, but the reality is there are many other talented people on ARC.

Well the bus appeared, but not the one I was thinking. With other things going on, my being is tested mentally and physically to the point where modelling will be put to one side for a while.

Until later, many thanks for your comments and interest.

John

Wow John your shelving it after a good run. I already shelved mine before I even got a good start. Mostly because of reference photos I need in order to proceed. Your work is fantastic, it's actually what made me pull my kit out and start it. Hope it's not gone for very long could use some inspiration on mine.

John, don't short yourself. Yes, there are talented models here that can build a great model OOB or with help of resin, but not many can do clean and correct scratch building job like you do. So, I hope this bus of your won't stop bye long because your getting pretty close to make a spectacular model out of this kit. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike. Appreciate the sentiment, but the reality is there are many other talented people on ARC.

Well the bus appeared, but not the one I was thinking. With other things going on, my being is tested mentally and physically to the point where modelling will be put to one side for a while.

Until later, many thanks for your comments and interest.

John

Hope you get your mojo back soon John and get this beauty over the finish line, really want to know how you fixed the wing. A little inspiration...

HarrierGR71_zps6ad8078b.jpg

Hope you get your mojo back soon

Hi Andy, pleased to say it is not a mojo problem. Family circumstances are requiring a move back up North, with attendant house selling and all that moving involves. So many things to sort, I have to put modelling to one side and it may be sometime before I can get back to it - nearly everything is now in boxes. Still got to sort how I am going to move existing models without damage - got £90 worth ( :o/>/> ) of purpose made boxes to accommodate them.

It is amazing what you find you have when you come to move, isn't it! Had to let my large aviation book collection go.

Regards

John