Goodbye to another great Hobby shop

Well, SoCal is losing another hobby shop. The Military Shop in Long Beach will be closing it's doors on April 1st. I spent a lot of time and money there and I have to say I am truly sad to see it close, but the owner Gary is off to retirement. For quite awhile I would spend every Saturday there, not only as a customer, but as an unofficial employee. But as the saying goes, "all good things must come to an end."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's been a sad time these past months, watching the end of March approach all together too quickly. Gary offered more than just a place to buy modeling supplies. He was personally quite an expert on military subjects and modeling. He got to know his customers well, and would often get things in that he knew we just had to have. I and many others made it a point to get there once a week, to check out new stock, and just hang out.

During one of those last two weekends, somebody asked "What are we going to do after you've closed?" The immediate response was "Get some models actually built." Sadly, that is likely true. Quite a testament to the importance of The Military Shop as the heart of a community of modelers...

:salute: